Ursinus College

« See more reviews of Ursinus College

University of Iowa occupies a strong liberal humanity atmosphere, and that's where attracts me very much. There are lots of libraries that open to public for whole days, and I can find almost all the famous novels, proses, poems,biography in it. Furthermore, there are lots of pianos lying along street for people to play. Once I was reading "Atlas Shrugged" , the most valuable book which laid the foundation of objectivism by Ayn Rand. A fellow came by and said, “Hey, you like Ayn Rand too? Perfect! Long live, rational individual rights.” I was totally shocked by that people here were so free to express their mind toward an idea without facing restrictions of censorship. I originally came from China, where people don't possess too much rights of free speech and political vote, however, I love politics. Therefore, University of Iowa provides me with a optimal platform for exchanging ideas and opinions,for example, there are many reading fairs and human rights seminar. I consider an valuable university is one that realizes students' endeavor into fighting for their dreams, also, defends a pluralistic environment for wide communication and promotion. Hence, in fact, University of Iowa is the one.

When looking at colleges, determine what is important to the whole family, but consider the student's wishes above other's. Make a list of what is important, in ranking order, and determine qualifying colleges based on those criteria. However important these things are, though, it is most important to visit the college, preferably without a tour guide, as they tend to be biased (as a tour guide for my own school, I know that this is true). Wander around the campus and ask random students their favorite and least favorite aspects of the school, why they chose it to begin with and whether they would attend if they could do it again. Never base a decision on one or two people's opinions, as they could be just as biased as tour guides. Find students with interests similar to your own to question further about their experiences and opportunities. As you talk to current students, think about whether you would enjoy being friends with them. After all, your friends are your support system and helpline in college, and if you do not find yourself connecting with people, it is likely--but not absolute-- that you will have trouble succeeding.

Finding the right college takes finding a balance between gut feeling and practical concerns. Visit potential colleges before you apply, judging by that instinctive reaction you feel toward students met, classes seen, and buildings toured. Make sure the school offers the majors and programs you want; all the nice students in the world will not help you get a chemistry degree at a college of arts. Know yourself well enough to know whether you want to spend all your time with other students who like to study, enjoy interacting in small groups, or love to party. Once you arrive for freshman orientation and begin classes, making the most of the experience is up to you. Talk to the other freshmen. They are just as friendless and scared as you. People always respond to friendliness; if you approach with a smile, you will probably recieve one in return. Attend events, no matter how lame they sound on paper. Even if you don't love the speaker or performer, you might sit next to your new best friend. Armed with a smile and your unique personality, you will find friends quickly and together you can explore what your school has to offer.

Ursinus prides itself on creating students with knowledge across many disciplines; each student must complete a diversity, global, and humanities course before graduating, to create a well rounded graduate. In my own experiences, these courses have taught me about myself and how I am not only alike but also different from my own classmates, as well as other students cross-culturally around the world. My course load is challenging, but I find help in fellow students as well as faculty; I feel there is always someone to turn to with a question. The energy around campus really motivates me to get involved with our community as well as the surrounding areas. When I visited Ursinus as a high school student I instantly felt apart of a family; there is a supportive network around campus and they make an effort to reach out to you. I value the liberal arts education I receive from Ursinus College and how it has not only taught me facts about my major, but has helped me find who I am along the way. It is valuable to attend this school to enter the career world a well rounded, tolerant, and successful individual.

My best advice on selecting the right college is to visit the school. During the visit, talk with students and professors and take time to explore the campus on your own. If you have the opportunity to stay overnight with a student, make sure to do so. You want to be sure the school offers the curriculum and activities that you are interested in. Basically, take time to get a feel for the school. Then, pick the college where you think you would be most comfortable. Make sure you can picture yourself spending four years there. Once you select a college, take advantage of all the wonderful opportunities available to you. If your school has special research programs, opportunities to work with a professor, internships, or study abroad, make sure to do as much as you can. Four years goes by very quickly and often college is the only time where you have the freedom to do things such as study abroad. Parents, you may have to set some boundaries for your child, but make sure the ultimate selection is his own. Most of all, be supportive of his decision, even if you would have made a different one.

Always look into a college or university in depth, so that they understand how the school functions, how they think the student will function, and if the student is successful. Always make sure that the school has the appropriate facilities and departments in the field that the student wants to study in. The school needs to accomodate the student so that they can be as successful as they can be. It is also important to make sure that the campus is safe and that the student will be taken care of and nothing bad will happen to them. As well as academics and security, the amount of activities and sports offered is also important. A students social life is important in college. If a student doesn't make friends, their college career might be miserable and they won't get the best experience that they can out of it. My uncle went to the same school I am surrently attending, and he lived at home, made no friends, and absolutely hated it. I am living on campus and joined a sorority, participate in activities, and made a good amount of friends, and i am loving Ursinus College, and always will.

Looking back at the intimidating college application process, it is nothing short of amazing that I ended up at my dream school. I went against the grain by putting all of my eggs in ?one basket.? Hidden in the enormous piles of college mail was an aesthetically pleasing pamphlet by Ursinus College. After reviewing it, the school with the weird name seemed quite promising after all. I fell in love with Ursinus during my overnight visit. I was completely hooked on the school and decided that I would go forth with the admissions process. ?What did I have to lose?? This step eventually paid off when an acceptance letter came in the mail that next month. It was one of the proudest moments of my life. I was accepted to a school with a slim acceptance rate and a rigorous academic agenda. My dream school became a reality right before my eyes. In chosing the right school, go with your heart. A name will not guarentee you a successful four years, but a place that makes you happy gives you so much more! Remember to work hard and enjoy what should be the best four years of your life.

I would say that you not only need to interview, you should also have the student spend the night (preferably two) at the college to see if they really like it. Also, before roomming with your roommates, you should get to know them first by meeting before hand and deciding on what each of you will bring. Meet in person is most preferable as the student can better evaluate how they will get along with their roommate in a real-life, every day experience. Before you go to school too, you should invest in a good laptop. Finding how much of the school is wireless is important too. Investing in insurance is a must for your laptop, especially theft insurance. Ask about extra curriculars, and ask whether you'd be able to participate in events that you may have been interested in high school, but never had a chance at enrolling. I always wanted to play an instrument in high school, but if you don't enroll early on, then it's very difficult to get in to in senior or junior years, but some colleges have a low-level entry program for instruments where no previous experience is needed.

Look outside of the universities that are typically en vogue, especially if a student wants to pursue an advanced degree after a bachelor's degree. Often times smaller schools are better known in the academic community than the high school counselor community and can offer a more comprehensive learning experience that will bolster a student's chances at acceptance into a fabulous grad school and be much more focused on them. Many of the more prestigious schools in American minds are very graduate-student focused. Also keep in mind that the admissions officers are the best judges of whether or not you fit at the school. They aren't out to get anyone, but they are in the best position to tell if the school is a fit or not. You may have a perfect application, but if they know you'll be unhappy there then they're probably right. When applying talk to students who go there and really try to figure out if you can be friends with people like them for the next 4 years. Once on campus it's important to get to know professors and get involved in a wide range of different organizations.

I went to a high school that prepared me extremely well for college. Acacemically, I had no problem transitioning to the college environment. My parents also prepared me extremely well for college (they did have practice with my two older brothers). There are a lot of freshmen that go wild when they get to college because their parents never let them experience enough at home. Yes, the rush of newfound freedom is great, but I was never one of those kids that went buck wild, so high school senior me is in the clear. I think the one thing I would advise high school senior me is to enjoy being home with your family more before leaving. In high school people would always get caught up on the idea that they're leaving their friends. I think the toughest thing is actually leaving your family. You're going to miss lounging around the house, having mom or dad cook you dinner (one of the best things about going home, I promise you), and just being able to call out "MOM" and have here answer you, even if it is in an annoyed tone for yelling. Enjoy being home, best advice.