Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

Fraternities and sororities, like I said, are huge at Wake. But if you're from the North, don't let this scare you away. Most people who come to Wake thinking they will hate Greek life (myself included) tend to have a change of heart and learn to love it. It is not nearly as intense and caddy as the movies like to make it appear. Fraternities are pretty much just a group of guys that like to get drunk together, to be honest. When I first got to Wake, before sororities were even in the picture, I joined lacrosse because I wanted the team feeling back from my high school days. It has been such a good way to get to know other girls on campus and get some fun exercise. There are a ton of club sports teams and intramural teams offered at Wake besides lacrosse, too, and they are really popular with students here as well. Dorm life at Wake is great. Freshman year you will live in a dorm with all freshman and a number of RAs and people tend to get really close to their halls. The upperclassmen dorms are really nice, and set up as suites, with 4 or more rooms and a common bathroom. Rooms are decently sized, but you will definitely be ready to upgrade to an apartment when you are a senior (or junior). The apartments by campus are really nice, affordable, and well-run, and so popular with Wake kids that you are sure to have some friends as neighbors. Houses by campus are also really cheap and pretty well-kept, so they will often be bought up by fraternities and sororities or groups of friends so they can hold their own parties. The dating scene at Wake is not terribly lively, as most guys and girls tend to stick to random hooks up that may later lead to relationships. Relationships are definitely common among the older crew, but as freshman and sophomores people generally choose to play the field and see what's out there. Wake Wednesday's have become a tradition at Wake, because apparently we all need the aid of alcohol to get over the hump of mid-week misery. Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays are definitely the biggest social nights on the calendar, but Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays pick up significantly once you're of-age. We are also big fans of day drinking, especially in the spring when the weather is perfect for some morning punch or cheap champagne and pools of jello pudding to make things messy. More tame traditions are events like Hit the Bricks, Wake 'n Shake (both charitable events that raise money for the Brian Piccolo Cancer Foundation), a ton of events held by the Student Government and Student Union (concerts, carnivals, dances, etc.), and of course tailgates, football games, and basketball games. Wake is alllll about tradition and is what makes the campus so close and the alums keep coming back.

Most popular student group of all time: Greek life sororities and fraternities. Second most popular- Student Union. I'm involved with the Learning Assistance Center tutoring program. I tutor French because I love it, and most of my "tutees" need help because their professors are grammar nazis. Students leave doors open- there's a fifty-fifty chance that your stuff will be fine or will be stolen. Athletic events are popular in different ways- football games: primarily for tailgates, and basketball games; primarily for cheering on the Deacs. Guest speakers are the shit; Joe Biden talked at the 2008 class graduation. Emily Giffen, one of my favorite authors, spoke here. Too bad I was studying abroad in Paris at the time. Dating scene: almost non-existent unless one has a significant other they've been dating since high school. Most people jut hook up. My closest friends I met randomly. One was a friend of a friend, and one I met at the gym. If Im awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm doing homework or studying. What a shocker. Traditions and events: Shag on the Mag- it's a dance, not sex. Homecoming- people get dressed up and dressed down after they get schwasted. Lighting of the Quad- Christmas tree gets lit up. Delicious cider is served. Big deal. People party a lot because we're so stressed out and drinking helps us de-stress and forget about out 25page papers for a while. Frats/Sororities: be in one or be ostracized. Last weekend, I hosted a Christmas party and I made Peppermint Schnapps hot chocolate. It was delectable. On a Saturday night, if you prefer not to drink, DON'T GO OUT SOBER. Go to the movies or do some more homework. Off campus, I go thrift-store shopping, go on booze runs, or go on the occasional date if I'm lucky.

The most popular organizations are fraternities or sororities, though there are many groups dedicated to community service. The Wake Forest motto is Pro Humanitate so there's always some type of outreach or community service program/organization, which draws in large numbers of students. There are really several clubs to join, even something as obscure as water-rafting or meditation. It's doubtful you won't find something that you're interested in. I write for the school newspaper and help with the literary magazine, both things i vastly enjoy. The only problem is that i'd like to join more clubs but just don't have the time. If you're an incoming freshman, making friends is relatively easy and the dorms are generally sociable. Though as a transfer student there's definitely more work and initiative necessary to build a social circle. Athletic events are hugely popular here, especially tail-gating. If you're not involved in a fraternity or sorority it will be difficult to find social events on campus but if you have a car there are several things to do in town. Wake Forest also offers a shuttle service into town as well. Much of my time is spent attending club activities, going to lectures, presentation, or documentary screenings, and writing (sounds nerdy, but is in all honesty a blast to me). There is also the occasional game or party. There are many traditions here at Wake Forest, many of them dry and boring in themselves, but serve as excellent social frames for meeting people and spending time with friends. Some of the famous traditions are teepeeing the quad and Hit the Bricks, a fundraiser in which you complete circles around the quad with a bag full of bricks (no really, it's fun).

Seeing as most of the campus is affiliated with some kind of fraternity, sorority, or athletic team I would say they are the most popular. When I lived in the dorms I would leave my door unlocked, I wouldn't advertise that it was unlocked but I never had a problem with my stuff being stolen. Athletic events aren't as popular as they should be. Some guest speakers are popular if the topic is interesting, the same goes for theater. I don't know much about the dating scene because I've had a boyfriend all 4 years of college but I know the hook up scene is prevalent. All of my best friends came from my freshman dorm. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am probably studying for a test or just leaving a bar. The one tradition that I have enjoyed throughout my time is the rolling of the quad and I hope it never dies. People party several times a week. There are people at the bars every night of the week but I'd say an average person goes out 3 times a week. Fraternities and sororities aren't important to me but it's a good social network for some. A Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking is probably going to dinner, a movie and an early bed time.

RUF (the reformed Presbyterian group) is huge. I am involved with WAKEradio, which I love. It is a small goup of students who sort of go against the flow of the school. I am also part of a new group called Students Pro Humanitate, which strives to promote policies of peace and looks out for Human Rights. We have also protested many of the proposed changes such as the forced eviction of facutly and staff from their apartments with little notice. I met most of my closest friends through either WAKEradio or being an English major or both. If you're awake at 2:00am on a Tuesday, you are studying. Greek life is huge, but I am not involved. Off campus, I work at a coffee shop down town. There are a number of good restaurants in Winston to go to, and we have a new movie theatre with discounted tickets for students. Mostly, when my friends and I go out, we go either to Greensboro to see an independent film that is not playing in Winston, or we go to Chapel Hill to see a concert. I went to Chapel Hill last weekend to see a show in fact. We get a lot of good music out there, but it is unfortunately about 90 minutes away by car.

Most popular groups on campus are the sororities and fraternities. I am a Kappa Delta -- a sorority with good involvement, high GPA, and good social standing. Students generally leave their doors open. Athletic events are very popular --especially football and men's basketball. Guest speakers are not very popular. Theater is somewhat popular. The dating scene is pretty non-existent. The couples that are together get together early on or come into Wake already dating. Most individuals just "hook up." I met my closest friends in my sorority. Awake on a Tuesday -- studying or watching TV trying to go to sleep. Traditions -- rolling the quad after games and fraternity events. People party during the weekend, also often on Wednesday and Thursday nights. Fraternities/sororities are very important. Last weekend I went to a fraternity party on Friday, a fraternity date function on Saturday, and studied on Sunday. A Saturday night that does not involve drinking usually involves a movie, homework, and church. Off campus has a lot of restaurants, movie theaters, bars, and other events.

Screamin Demons ~ I'm the treasurer of Theta Alpha Kappa - the religious honor society - its really laid back and relaxed. ~ No. ~ Athletic events are popular, the rest not as much. ~ The PIT gets old really fast, glad I don't have to go anymore. ~ Freshman Hall and Delta Zeta (Sorority). ~ No one dates really, those that do have really intense relationships. I am happy to say I met my fiance at Wake. ~ Rolling the quad. Lovefest. Hit the Bricks and other fundraisers. ~ Average 3 nights a week probably and then you have people at both exremes. ~ Veyr important. ~ Stayed in with my roomates and friends and drank wine and watched movies. ~ Rent a movie. ~ Starbucks, volunteer, Whole Foods, Borders/Barnes and Noble, go out to dinner, etc.

Dating scene - not so hot, there are a lot of single people and there's a lot of random hookups. Greek life is big here, and a lot of the parties have been pushed off campus. Most of the fraternity make their pledges sober shuttle people to all their off campus parties. There are one or two over 18 bars *though one may be torn down in 2009* and once you are 21 there is a whole new scene in downtown Winston-Salem -it's nice to change it up halfway through college. Fall is football season which is amazing. Some students wear sundresses and bowties and some wear Wake gear but everybody has a great time tailgating. The year we won the ACC and went to the Orange Bowl (which it seems like everybody flew to Miami to see) was the most incredible season.

Freshman halls bond with each other quite a bit. Frats and Sororities are bigger as you get past being a freshman. I really like that, although a lot of student's drink regularly, I feel like if you don't go out all the time, people don't really care and don't judge you for it. You could always find an event to do on a weekend that doesn't involve alcohol, but some would definitely be better than others. Joining clubs and stuff will help with that. Drugs are almost non-existent when you compare it the standard of other colleges. They make it pretty clear during orientation that if you are caught with weed or anything else, you will be in big trouble, whereas it can be possible to weasel your way out of an alcohol violation.

If there is one word to describe wake social life, it would have to be: GREEK. If you are dead set against joining a Greek organization, or have a problem with Greek like, you may not want to come to Wake. Most parties are thrown by the fraternities, and the majority of the girls who attend them are in sororities. Being Greek gives you an identity at Wake. It gives you a place to party, and a group of friends to do it with. It when I say party, i mean binge drink. Wake students have a work hard, play harder mentality. As far as sober Saturday night fun? Well...I wouldn't know what that is. You would have to ask someone who lived in Johnson, the sober dorm, freshman year