Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

Either you hang out with atheletes or youre greek or you dont have a social life. also, we do party really hard, no one goes out unless theyre getting absolutely trashed

Greek! There are a lot of organizations around campus that you can get involved in, but the most overwhelming social scene is Greek.

Activities are numerous and the social scene is always buisy.

Astronomy research club

Sororities are great

I am a student athlete and was recruited to play on the Wake Forest field hockey team. Field hockey is not the most popular sport, but we are the most successful at Wake Forest. We have been to the Final Four in the last 10 or so years in a row winning 3 consecutive National championships, several ACC championships, and we are consistently ranked in the top 5 in the nation. Big deal for such a small university and a small team, but we do well against our competition. Playing field hockey is a full time job, not to mention going to class, studying, and still having a social life as well as being involved in other groups on campus. For example, not only am I involved with field hockey but I am on Student Government, LEAD (75 "leaders" chosen to come together to chance/enhance things at Wake Forest- we are working to start a Day Care center on campus), SAAC (a student government for athletes- 2 representatives for each sport), volunteering at Campus Kitchen, help coach the club field hockey team, and doing various other projects. Field hockey is a fall sport, from August until late November; however we do have a spring season as well. The Fall is most important, taking up most of our time. We come to school 3 weeks before classes start practicing 2 or 3 times a day for 3 weeks. Once classes start we practice once a day for 3-4 hours 6 days a week plus weight lifting twice a week. We also have games on Saturdays and Sundays. The hours spent for week practicing and playing is about 20 hours plus other things involved with field hockey like treatment, individuals, watching video, analyzing games,meetings etc... It is a lot of work. We travel a lot missing classes frequently, which is also difficult. Towards the end of the season we are only going to classes twice a week because, for example, the Final Four requires us to leave Tuesday or Wednesday and we won't get back until Sunday. The spring is less of a commitment, but it is still 4 days a week of practicing with a couple of tournaments and games. We have 4 tournaments, including a trip to California to play 5 games including playing a Japan team. Keeping up with academics during season is important. It is very easy to miss turning in an assignment, not doing work or not studying because we are halfway across the United States traveling and playing. It is doable to do well in school, participate in other groups as well play our sport. Currently, not only am I involved with other groups, but I am a Dean List student with all A's so far this semester. It's hard work, but worth being a student athlete. We not only experience what the other students experience at Wake, but much more.

One of the best things about going to school at Wake is that there’s almost always something fun to do. Sure, Winston-Salem doesn’t have much of a nightlife, but within the Wake bubble there’s always something planned for students. Some events many students look forward to include Shag on the Mag, a completely prepped-out night of South Carolina-style shag dancing on the quad, Project Pumpkin, a volunteer day where local kids trick-or-treat on campus, and Wake ‘n Shake, a newer fundraising 12-hour dance marathon for cancer research. Greek life aside, there are many clubs on campus that many students manage to get excited about. The Lilting Banshee’s, a comedy group on campus, perform for students every semester and are promoted during that time by ubiquitous yellow signs with hilarious sayings. In fact, one of the first things a new freshman might encounter could be a neon sign cautioning that “the Freshman 15 shouldn’t come out in 9 months with a name”. In addition, the extremely talented and numerous a capella groups always draw big crowds to their shows. We even have a secret society, called the Twenty-Threes, but the details about it are shrouded in secrecy. But for me, and many others on campus, Greek life dominates the social scene. If you want a party and can’t go to bars yet, you’ll have to find a fraternity house, hall, or lounge to go to. The party situation at Wake is complicated because, unlike many schools, we don’t have official frat houses. We do have halls and lounges in dorms, where sometimes the fraternities hold parties that almost always get busted. It’s easy though to get rides to off-campus parties, especially if you’re a freshman. For big parties, fraternity pledges will run shuttles and pick you up right at your door. The biggest party nights, besides the weekend, are Wednesday and Thursday. On Wednesdays many fraternities rent out bars, where you shouldn’t have much trouble getting a drink, or house parties. Thursdays, however, are for the 21-and-up crowd at bars and sporting events with drink specials. On Saturdays, there’s almost always an opportunity to drink at a party during the day, which sounds like a recipe for disaster because it is. That being said, I’ve also had some of my craziest and most fun times at Wake during these day parties. Off-campus, a lot of students get involved with Big Brothers Big Sisters and mentor once a week with their little. I’ve gotten so much out of my time with my little, Cymone, who just started high school. I’ve enjoyed doing things with her that I often wished that I had an excuse to do, like put-put golfing, painting pottery, or just getting my nails done.

The most popular groups/organizations/teams on campus are sororities and fraternities, volunteer organizations and the football and basketball teams. One group I'm involved with, HOPE (Helping to Overcome Physical Expectations), is comprised of about 100 students to spend 2 hours a week volunteering at a local elementary school with students with special needs. Most people do leave their doors open in their dorms because everyone wants to be social! Athletic events, especially football, are very popular. If you're really into a sport, you'll have no trouble finding someone else to go to the game with. Guest speakers are only popular to the students interested in what they have to say-sometimes hearing guest speakers can seem like a chore. Theater is not very popular at Wake, although the theater department is successful at what they do. PEOPLE AT WAKE DON'T DATE! You're either single, "hooking up" with someone and are not dating, or are in a serious boyfriend/girlfriend relationship (including engagements). I met my closest friends on my freshman hall in through my sorority and Greek like as a whole. If I'm awake at 2 AM on a Tuesday, I'm studying for a test that I have the next day. Some of my friends, on the other hand, are probably at the bars! Each year, Homecoming, the Lighting of the Quad, Tie a Yellow Ribbon Week, the reading of names of those who died in the Holocaust, Springfest, Wake 'n' Shake and various other fun events occur each year. I'd say that most people party 2-3 nights per week. Fraternities and sororities are extremely important- most parties are fraternity parties (even at local bars) and almost 50% of Wake women are Greek. Last weekend I attended my sorority initiation events, had a reunion with friends I was abroad with in the summer, volunteered at WFUBMC, slept a lot and studied. If I didn't want to drink on a Saturday night, I could go to the movies with friends, hang out at my apartment, get some sleep, volunteer an extra shift at the hospital (if I were really ambitious!), or go to a party and NOT DRINK. I live off campus, so my life outside of classes and meetings occurs off campus. I eat off campus, can go shopping, run errands and get coffee!

most popular: greek life, habitat, campus kitchens, club sports ie ultimate frisbee and crew. i'm involved with amnesty international, and they do a lot to raise awareness about human rights, environmental, and political issues in the world. students in freshman dorms tend to leave their doors open because they're more open and sociable in their halls than are upperclassmen. football and basketball are the biggest sports. we have great guest speakers that come to campus. our performing arts leaves a bit to be desired. the dating scene is largely greek; it's easy to date on campus because there's always something to do.. schoolwork can keep you really busy though. i met my closest friends on my freshman hallway, through church, or through phi mu. if i'm awake at 2am on a tuesday, i'm studying or finishing up a paper. we have love feast, the lighting of the quad, shag on the mag, wake n shake, springfest, and lots of other traditions. people party on wednesdays and on weekends. frats/sororities can be a fun thing to be a part of, but it's not necessary to be in one. a lot of people join some of the more popular frats/sororities because they are social climbers and will put up with a lot of superficial stuff. last weekend i spent a lot of time with my sorority and got initiated. i also spent time with my boyfriend. on a saturday night you can go to a movie, an art gallery, just hang out with friends, go out to dinner, go to greensboro to go to a club, etc. off campus, i go shopping or go on retreats with church or with friends. you can also go camping/hiking/etc.

it's the jocks and the greeks, if you're not one there are definitely social groups, just on a smaller calaber; I'm a pi phi and don't do too much with it but do a lot of greek organized charity events like breast cancer fashion show and wake n' shake; we always locked ours but we were the minority; athletic events are popular but only if the team is good, very touch and go depending on the season; people only go to guest speakers for class which is stupid some great minds come here but it's hard to advertise; I only attend theater because I have friends in the plays; the dating scene is either marriage oriented or hooking up, there are a lot of couples on campus; my freshman hall is where I met my closest friends; I would be studying or hanging out with friends but any other night I may be out at a party; don't know much about traditions except rolling the quad; people either don't party or party 1-3 times a week; greek life is mostly important only if you are greek or want to be greek, if you are not affiliated normally it's because you don't want to be and aren't interested in the system; last weekend I was in Myrtle Beach on a fraternity beach weekemd; Saturday nights can be movies, sports games, or hanging out with friends or concerts; off campus I work at a tennis shop, volunteer most semesters, and go out to eat