Wake Forest University

« See more reviews of Wake Forest University

Wake kids party, and there is always something to do. I'll put it this way: as a freshman, I wandered around the outskirts of campus with a pack of similarly-clueless freshman in search of a party. When knocking on a random door and greeted by a couple seniors, we asked if they were having a party. They said "Well, there's no party, but we can change that." And thus one of the most memorable (or, more appropriately, least memorable) ragers of a party had started. The point is that students loves to kick back and see how long it takes before passing out. During exams week? Well, it's time to make up for the procrastinating you did all semester and actually study - for most people. There is a decent downtown area, though it is fairly small and limited to a dozen or so watering holes. A new campus shuttle program takes student downtown (a 4 or 5 mile trek) from Thursday - Saturday and from 8:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. thanks to that awesome student body president I mentioned earlier. Sports are big, too. Tailgate at football games and then party afterward. Adorn yourself in that hideous tie-dye and cheer at the basketball games for the streaky yet high-quality basketball team. And the soccer team won the national championship in 2007. Sports are big.

Sororities and fraternities are really popular, athletes mostly hang out with other athletes. Club sports teams hang out together, religious groups, etc. I am a Kappa, but most of my best friends are in other sororities, and this is fine. A lot of people are mostly friends with people in their own group, but it happens more with fraternities than sororities - its more acceptable for girls to be friends with girls not in their group. My closest friends many I've known since freshman year, others are friends of friends that I've become close to over the years. The dating scene is somewhat nonexistent. Either you randomly hook up with people or you are in a very long-term relationship. Most relationships start with drunken hook ups, which then become more consistent, which then become a relationship. As a senior, sometimes we go to bars on Tuesdays and other weeknights, Wednesday is the main night for all classes to go out to frats, bars, etc, other people on weekdays will be in the library or doing homework. Last weekend I went to fraternity parties on Friday and Saturday. Saturday nights without drinking - maybe a movie, could go to an art gallery, stay in and cook dinner, go downtown, etc.

The most popular groups on campus are fraternities and sororities. I am in a sorority (pi beta phi). Students usually leave their doors open and welcome visitors. Athletic events are well attended given the small size of the school. Guest speakers and theater performances are not very well attended by students, but are relatively well attended by the winston-salem community. The dating scene is pretty much non-existant. I have a boyfriend but I am in a minority. I met my closest friends through my classes, surprisingly, and not my sorority. At 2 am on a Tuesday, I am absolutely sleeping and have been sleeping for a while. The main tradition at Wake is "rolling the quad" after athletic wins. After any win in basketball or football, students run out to the quad and throw toilet paper over the magnolia trees. People party pretty often (Friday, Saturday, and "wake wednesday"). Fraternities and sororities are very important because they are pretty much the only source of parties on campus. They rent out bars and have house parties. There isn't much that you can do on a Saturday nigth that doesn't involve drinking, except maybe going to a party and choosing not to drink.

The most popular groups on campus are fraternities and sororities. Greek life pretty much controls the party life and social scene on campus. People do choose to stay independent, but guys especially get a lot of grief for their choice. Last weekend, my sorority had date functions on Thursday and Friday night and on Saturday night I went to a fraternity party. That's a pretty typical night on Wake's campus--off campus fraternity parties. But there's always something to do on campus that doesn't involve drinking, like club and inter-mural sports teams, worship groups, and school-sponsored activities like Wake Frost, Wake n' Shake, Springfest, and Shag on the Mag. Sororities and fraternities also have philanthropic activities, like Tridelta's "Triple Play" and Delta Zeta's "Turtle Tug" that students get involved in. People go to athletic events, but guest speakers and theater events always get a poor showing, except by students who have to go for class. The dating scene at Wake is as close to non-existent as possible. Everyone always says, "Wake students don't date."

There are plenty of fun organizations and teams for any interests. Dorm doors are usually closed when the people leave, but open when someone is in the room. Football games, soccer games, and basketball games are popular to go to. Greek life is a lot of fun, but very open if you are not interested. All parties are open to everyone and all sororities and fraternities intermingle and are friends. I met my closest friends on my freshmen hall and in my sorority. The dating scene varies. There are definitely a lot of couples dating, but there are also a lot of random hookups. You can have either depending on what you are looking for. People usually go to frat parties on Fridays and Saturdays. There is also drinking usually on Wed and Thurs at bars. A lot of times the frats rent out the bars for open parties. You can also go bowling, to the movies, hiking, or visit Charlotte on the weekends.

Sororities and Fraternities are definately very present on campus. I can't imagine life without being involved in Greek life, but several students aren't. Athletics are very popular. The football team improved during the 2006 season with a trip to the Orange Bowl. Wake and the ACC is known for Basketball...basketball games are fun. Men's soccer won the NCAA tournament in 2007, which was amazing. So, I would say we have amazing athletics for the small size of our school, and the students really get into sporting events. 2am on a Tuesday...either studying or coming home from Fox and Hound, a popular sports bar. Partying within the Greek scene is pretty popular. As an upper classmen, I would say, Wednesday-Saturday is pretty typical. Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking?? I don't think I have ever done that.

Students in dorms typically leave their dorms open. I leave on a 10 person hall and people are always yelling to each other and having conversations. It is very open where we are all living together. Dating...hmm...haha, there is not much casual dating. It is either friends or boyfriend/girlfriend. There is not too much "Do you want to grab dinner on Friday?" If there is, then there are huge expectations for the future attached. One of the greatest parts about WFU is you can always find someone to do anything with. If you want to watch a movie, you will find someone to do that with, if you want to go to an art gallery, you will find someone to do that with, if you want to get waster, you can find someone to do that with, if you want to go to the library to knock some work out, you can find someone to do that with.

Greek life is huge at wake. I have really enjoyed it though- it makes it so there is always something to do. Fraternity parties and Greek events are where most or if not all social events that I attend. There are Greek houses off campus with free alcohol. Rides to get there are rather easy and you can call a brother to get you one. The drivers are pledges and are designated. I always leave my door unlock although I have heard other peole have had issues with that. Athletic events are not that popular except for the football games in which their is an excuse to drink at the tailgate. Also people get pretty dressed up for a football games - sun dresses and sport coats. People party alot I feel that everyone is either studiyng or partying. There is not much else to do except that.

greek life, sports teams. im involved in a sorority. it's been a wonderful opportunity, but i like that it does not require all of my time. students do leave their doors open in dorms. athletic events are popular. some guest speakers are popular. people are either single or in a relationship, they dont usually go on dates. i met my closest friends through my sorority. 2am on a tuesday i would be studying. traditions: wakenshake, shag on the mag, spring fest, activities fair, homecoming events, etc. people party 2-3 days a week usually. last weekend i went out one night and the other night i wrote a paper. people often go to dinner, movies, a friend's house/apartment, art galleries (if they dont want to drink). going to a party and not drinking is completely socially acceptable.

Greek life is predominantly responsible for the social life on campus. I'm a Delta Zeta, which is the newest sorority on campus; we don't have a fixed image or stereotype yet because we don't have the history like the others do. I rarely lock my door in my dorm, but that's mostly because I live on the 4th floor and nobody ever walks all the way up here. Athletic events are popular for freshmen, thanks to Screamin' Demons. Football tailgates are the center of Saturday activities in the fall. There is a small dating scene here-- most people are more focused on finding either a steady hookup or a different guy each night. My closest friends lived on my floor last year-- most of them are guys who joined the same fraternity-- and I live in the same dorm as them this year also.