North Canton, OH

Walsh University

« See more reviews of Walsh University

Each parent and prospective student should examine what they want from their education experience from an objective view. Weigh all the factors such as campus size, student to teacher ratio, academic standards, post graduation job placement, post graduation graduate school placement, strong programs vs. weak programs, etc. At the same time considerations for the surrounding community environment should play a role in the decision as well. Will the prospective student be distracted by off campus activates that will detract from their principal purpose of attending college? Are there strong support systems in place on campus such as counseling services, academic advising, spiritual/religious outlets, and a healthy social environment? Each of these elements and perspectives should be considered when looking at the need of each individual prospective student. The choice should be arrived at by a mutual decision making process with the parent and prospective student to avoid the misplacement of such said prospective student into a university which will not be suitable. Ultimately, the future success and happiness of the prospective student should be considered as the compass in navigating through all the elements of the decision making process. It is their future!

Out of my college experience I have received the knowledge to enhance my abilities in my future career, the cultural diversity to help me understand others, and created very dear friendships. Each of the reasons alone is enough to explain why Walsh University has been such a valuable school to attend. From the start of my freshman year frantically searching what classroom I needed to be in up until now where I have built a home, I have gained the comprehension required by workers in my future field. Through dedicated professors, I have struggled and triumphed over ideas which were necessary to understand. The knowledge Walsh has helped me obtain is not only valuable but a true asset. In addition to knowledge, I have a broadened awareness of cultural diversity. Walsh allowed me to study abroad for a semester and experience life and notions far different from my own. The experience proved to be a significant turning point in which I assessed my values and ways of thinking tremendously. Finally, Walsh has also helped me create bonds with friends I cherish every single day. Through programmed activities, I have met friends that encouraged me to be the best I can.

Before choosing the right college, it is important to review your interests and consider a major. It is important to choose a college that is highly specialized in your major and future goals. Advice I would give to a college seeking student would be to find a college that is the right size, contains campus resources, and is in a convenient location. It is also important to know the degrees offered, accreditation, test success, and most importantly the schools reputation. A student should choose a college that is economically suitable for their family's income and offers financial aid. Student's need to be comfortable with their college surroundings and be able to express themselves. College is about learning, new relationships, and joining activities and clubs. School and studying should be your main priorities, however college life needs to be enjoyable as well. Therefore, a college student must have good time management skills. College can be very stressful at times so don't be afraid to seek help or counseling if you are having problems. Last but not least, it is normal for students to be home sick, so don't give up on yourself, you'll get through it!

Advice that I would give to students and parents about choosing the right college and about making the most out of their college experience would include a few things. In choosing the right college I would encourage students to look at a lot of different types of colleges. After narrowing your choices down to about three or four, visit those a few times. While on campus, make sure that they have your major of choice and that it is a good program. Also ask about class size, student teacher ratio, accessibility of the professors, campus police quality, and extracurricular activities are offered. Also ask about other things available to students including counseling and tudoring. Parents should attend these visits and talk about their concerns as well. I also would encourage parents to have an open mind to what their son or daughter chooses as their college of choice. Making the most out of your college experience includes being open to meeting new people and making friends, get involved with campus activities, finding a balance between school and your social life, and taking advantage of everything the campus has to offer to help students in any way.

The transition from high school to college life can be a drastic change for many. If I had the opportunity to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to be more courageous, equipped, and adaptive. Courage can come in many different forms and is essential in the college experience. I would tell myself to be more courageous in meeting people and not missing out on the wonderful activities the campus puts on for freshman. Many other individuals are homesick and experiencing similar difficulties, just waiting for someone to make the move for a life-long friendship. I would instruct myself to be ready and equipped with the materials necessary for success. These include not only material items, but strength, knowledge, and preparation. I would also inform myself on the importance of being adaptive. College surrounds students with new opportunities and ways of life that people must be ready to take on. By adapting to everything from new freedoms to new study habits, the college experience can be much less shocking and much more inviting. The keys to a successful transition are a positive attitude and open arms.

The advice that I would offer regarding the selection of a univeristy would be directed to students. While parents should be involved in reviewing potential schools, the final decision should be up to the student. A college education is vital in today's society and the decision to attend college should not be taken lightly. Students should choose the most qualified university relevant to their career choice and lifestyle. Too many schools focus soley on academics and not extraciricular activites that help make a student a well-rounded individual and help prepare them for the challenges in life. The school that is chosen should fit aspects of the students personality, financial status, religion, ethics and morals. If a school is chosen that does not fit these categories, the student may find completing their education in a timely and successful manner challenging. Overall a college education is earned and well respected. It is something only the student and commit to and complete. With so many challenges and obstacles in today's world, students should pick the right school for them that will enhance their adulthood, not hinder it.

My advice in finding the right college is simple, choose a school that fits you. If you want a small enclosed campus with one-on-one professor interaction, excellent facilities, and a private education, then a small private school would be a good fit. If your interests lie in a large campus with a vast student population, big classrooms, and a wide range of extra-curricular activities and academic organizations, then choose a state school. After determining the size of school the next step is easy, just simply visit different schools and choose the one that makes you feel the most comfortable. You will know just by listening to what each one has to offer, which one is right for you. Go with your gut instincts. My advice on making the most of the college experience is get involved. Join campus clubs, participate in intramurals, and go to school sponsored activities. Do not be afraid of leaving your dorm room to meet new people living around you, or turning to your neighbor in class and introducing yourself. Your studies are the most important focus, but developing friendships are key in your college experience, too.

After viewing all of the possible components, finding the right college should ultimately be the student's decision. I would strongly advise visiting any perspective college to get a feel for its atmosphere and to examine whether or not that college can meet the student's expectations and provide a solid education and career opportunities. I would encourage students to visit multiple sites in order to find that perfect fit because one college is not for everyone. Finances are also a large part of chosing the right college and can weigh heavily on a student's decision. I would look into how much financial aid a school can offer and whether or not it is within the student's and/or parents' budget. Housing, availability of resources, and the quality of the education are other important areas to consider. Once a student finds a college the feels right for them, they should put their studies first but need to leave time to discover and develop into the person that they desire to become. Each individual has their own idea of what they want their college experience to be and it is up to them to make the most of it.

From picking the right school, to saying good bye on that first day, emotions are running high for both the students and the parents. When picking a school, it is important for both the parent/guardian and the student to make the decision together. It is normal for students to be feeling fearful and confused, but it is important to not allow these emotions take over. Parents can minimize this anxiety by listening to what their child wants from a school, weather it is size, or any other specifications they may have. And parents, share with your child what is important to you, such as student to teacher ratio, or most understandably, the price of tuition! Then compromise, but parents, please remember, this decision affects your child?s life much more then it does your own. The greatest thing that a parent can do for their child is to give them time and space to sort out new feelings and emotions, and to remind their child that on their first day, each and every student around them is feeling very similar emotions, so they my as well branch out, make a new friend, and share in this new endeavor together!

I am currently a sophmore in college, and choosing the "right" or "perfect" college wasn't too difficult. First of all, i knew i wanted to attend a college that was in-state, for tuition purposes. Secondly, i wanted to attend an University that provided a small and peaceful campus atmosphere. I receive a little financial aide, only from scholarships from highschool, the rest receive from my parents and i pay for some as well, by woking at a fast food restaurant, if you want a good education you will learn to do what you have to do! Personally, i love the college choice i made. It fits me just right, it is small, it is close to home, and provides many opportuniites to have that one on one time with your proffessors. Can you picture being in a class with 200 students, there is not a chance that your professor is going to know who you are, let alone care about your personal problems and troubles that might come up during your college experience. So in conclusion, it just comes down to you choosing the college you want to attend! Choose the university that best fits your personality.