Wayne State University

« See more reviews of Wayne State University

One peice of advice that I would give to parents as well as students, is to make sure that the college that they interested in is the college for them. There are so many opportunities and advantages of attending a 4-year college. Students are able to incorporate what they have learned in the classroom, into everyday experieces whether it pertains to the workplace, or interacting with other fellow college students. College not only prepares an individual for their future, but it also opens up doors for career pathways as well as further educational advancements. This school experience molds a student into the person they are destined to be, and academically enhances the minds of individuals who may feel that they can only go so far throughout their collegiate years. College gives you a chance to choose which educational path is right for you and it also allows you to gain life long friends who may be helping hands throughout your college years. Above all. the college experience is what you make it, so if you put in the hard work, dedication, perserverance, and inner-will, the possibilities are endless. And that is the biggest award you could ever recieve.

Awareness of what sets you apart from other people helps you become a more interesting and well rounded person. There are certain elements of life that anyone has the ability to expand but can overlook. I feel that these characteristics are education, focus, and attention to detail and I've gained them all from being accepted to Wayne State University. Through a lens, a photographer focuses and captures what they find uniquely appealing. They focus on what they find beautiful and get critique from a world with opinions. Students focus on their subjects and receive opinions on their world. Education is a plateau a person can leap off and land into their heaven or hell. Like focus, education helps us capture what we find uniquely appealing. It is human nature to want what we don?t have and crave more out of life, so we have to pursue our dreams. Details are the components of life that set everyday apart from the rest. To live everyday without paying attention to the small differences could drive a person crazy. If a student never comes to realize and pursue their passion they may be trapped in a world without focus and education.

There's a large variety of schools around the nation , meaning there's a near perfect school for almost every type of person. When students are choosing what college is right for them, they must consider what school offers their major , has a strong focus on academics, meets location standards, and supports extracurricular activity. Students also need to decide what type of campus is right for them. University campuses range from rural to urban communities and from small to large student bodies. When choosing the best college, students should decide whether they'd like to be involved in a larger community or a smaller one. Parent's should focus on sending their child to a school that's both affordable for them and their child. College can be expensive, so both the student and parent need to be ready and have a balanced budget in order to plan for college. In order to make the most of the college experience, students need to be open-minded and goal-orientated, and display a willingness to learn. Students who engage in extracurriculur activity have higher rates of succeeding at the college of their choice.

When deciding on the right college and on trying to make the most of your college experience, I think it would help to treat each and every prospective college as a person you are getting to know. From my own experience, each college has its own personality that is well suited to or that agrees/disagrees with different people. In your selection process, you may find that your personality completely clashes with, works well with, or even that it is a perfect match with the personality of the college you have selected. In order to match yourself up with the college that is right for you, there should be a certain amount of 'personal exploration' taken on your part. Take the time to become familiar with a campus you are interested in. The concept of 'place' is very important when deciding on which college to attend because as a large portion of your day may be devoted to school time and being on campus, you want to make sure your as comfortable in your space as possible. Explore the area beyond what is highlighted in the college brochure to help you make the right selection and begin your college adventure.

Knowing what I know now about college life, and the transistion it requires from high school, there is a great deal of advice I would give myself. All my life I have been an excellent student, and even graduated as Valedictorian of my class. When I started college, I was overconfident and thought that college was going to be a breeze. I was wrong. Although the study skills I acquired during high school proved to be a great help, college was much more serious than I thought. Studying required much more time, and attention to greater detail. I was also no longer a big fish in a small pond. I had to prove myself all over again, starting from scratch. Also, beyond just the academic realm, extra-curriculars are very important. If I had been more active in extra-curricular activities, getting involved would be much easier now. Overall, no matter how good of a high school student I was, college is much different, for there is less free time. Time that would have been dedicated to friends, is now dedicated to school or school-related activities. The transition to college is not easy and must be taken seriously.

While attending community college, I was able to take a variety of different classes. Through that experience, I discovered that I had a passion for helping people. After earning my AAS Degree this year, I decided that I wanted to pursue a degree in Sociology. I recently started taking classes to pursue a Bachelor's Degree in Sociology. Part of earning this degree is completing an internship in a social service setting. This experience has allowed me to explore the field of human service in a way that is not possible in a class room setting. I have been able to engage with and observe a specific client population in a real life situations and settings which has only further fueled my desire to help those in need. My college experience up to this point has been exciting and rewarding, and I look forward to the ways in which I will grow and develop as I pursue my degree. . Not only have I been able to discover my passion in life, but I have also had the opportunity to connect and build relationships with a diverse groups of students and faculty. To me, these experiences are invaluable.

I was given a great deal of advice before entering college, ranging from time management and social life to workload and financial aid. The one piece of advice that no one ever gave me and I have found to be the biggest adjustment is: "in high school, teachers make sure that you succeed, in college it is up to you if you want to succeed." This often includes having to read the book, do extra practice problems (not just what’s assigned) and in essence, teach yourself. The teacher will no longer do all of this for you. Maybe that is the difference between the word teacher and professor that I failed to realize: teachers “teach” and professors “profess.” Essentially, high school teachers make sure that you learn the information while a college professor will tell you the information and then it’s up to you to learn it. This may seem unfair or difficult at times but how much more prepared will you be for the world beyond school, having had to learn a few things the hard way. This is an important reality that took me a few semesters to learn but made a significant difference going forward.

My advice to future college students would be to apply to as many colleges as possible. Make sure to look at the programs offered at each college, and make the right descision based on personal interest in a field. I would visit all of the colleges and make sure I can picture myself living there, surrounding myself with only positive people, because after all you will be there for a whole 4 or more years for undergrad. Being comfortable around a new enviroment is the most important part of beginning a college career, because otherwise you won't make the most of the experience you can get. I would make sure the college fits my kind of interests and particularly offer the program which I want to get into. Making most of your college experience is based on the descions you first decide to make for yourself, like picking the right college, this will be the most important move. If you are not happy with this choice, you will be miserable every day. To be happy and successful in college, you must choose the univeristy that makes you feel the most comfortable and has interests that you like!!

I have received nothing but benefits from attending college. I get respect from my peers, my family members and the community. Little children look up to me and wish to continue their education beyond high school. Many adults appreciate my two years of college experience and want for me to tutor their children. The respect and admiration from people who matter in my life is what keeps me going. I am very proud of my education because I am only the second person in my family to attend a four year college. It has been valuable to attend college because I feel that it is the only way I can become a successful career woman in the future. College has given me an opportunity to serve as an example to those who are striving to succeed. Along with receiving higher education I am also learning lifelong lessons by meeting people of all cultures, personalities and social status. The value of education has been stressed in my family ever since I was a child and now that the opportunity is available to me I will do everything in my power to take advantage of it, and become a better human being.

Rankings of universities are important and may play a key role in you decision, but what is even more important is to search for a college/university that fits your needs. You may need a university that feels like a community college, meaning that it's not too big, not too small, but it's just right. Other people look for big universities with hundreds of thousands of people searching for an education just like you. Maybe you want a school that has excellent community involvement programs or a university that holds the sorority/fraternity of your choice. Always plan an on-campus tour so that you can have all the questions that may not have been answered in the pamphlets you recieve. You need to experience what it would feel like for you to be a student at each college/university of your choice. When you decide on the college/university of your choice, make sure that you get involved and have fun. These should be the best 4 years of your live. Enjoy it while it last because before you know it you'll be thrown into the workforce. Be safe and always think smart about your choices.