Wayne State University

« See more reviews of Wayne State University

Love people and learn from their endeavors and ideas. I always considered myself an open-minded person. However, I also 'knew? that I knew it all. One could say I had this sense of overconfidence. Coming out of high school with an excellent academic resume and what I had thought to be a great deal of cultural exposure did not give me that extra ?edge? that I hoped for. In the end, I was actually at a disadvantage and was not as open-minded as I had thought. The disadvantaged situation that I had created for myself, through improper preparation, created a long road ahead on how to truly learn from others. I had to change around my whole mind set, which was hard to accomplish, because all along I had thought I was indubitably open to any experience the new college life threw at me. So that would be the advice I would give to myself: Let your guard down to learning from other people and cultures. You are NOT as life-experienced as you think. Learn to love and appreciate others around you that are different, for what you learn from them could be the treasures of life.

So far, my college experience has provided me not only with a dose of reality, but also with sense of serenity. Leaving home to attend an out-of-state college has helped me find myself and in addition made me want to be a better person. I am now more involved socially and more aware of things that surround me and affect me daily. My experience has taught me things beyond academics, it has forced me to grow up and pay attention. My time management has also improved since I started college, I have learned that living on my own requires being responsible and accountable for my own actions. College also made me come to the concensus that I did NOT know how to study or take notes. Above all, in as few words as I can possibly manage, college has changed me for the better. It has matured me and I am preparing myself now for life after college. I am no longer intimidated by my classes or hardwork. I anticipate moving on after graduation to pursue a degree of higher education and make a difference in young childrens lives so that they may reach beyond their potential.

It is important for students to select a college that best fits their educational needs however, it is also vital that they have the ability to choose a school that motivates them to be involved in campus activites and to do their best work academically. Choosing a college where the student feels at home and where they recieve the right amount of attention according to their needs will help ensure success. I recommend going to any and all the schools the student is interested in and even some that they have never considered for open houses to see what all have to offer. Most importantly is the ability of the school to provide the type of education that the student needs to be placed in the career that they desire. Second to that is providing extra- curricular activites. Inspiring students to be involved in things outside of school tends to motivate students to do better in all areas of their lives. And finally, the best advice I can give is to be involved in as much as possible. I waited two years to be involved and it was the biggest mistake of my life.

My advice to parents and students seeking the right college is to start early in your high school years. Keep in mind that your grades do matter when it comes to colleges looking at you as their future student. Think of applying to the college of your dreams as if you where applying for your dream job. Impressions matter and so do grades so always keep your best foot forward when doing those high school projects. Making wise choices in friends, what you do when together can determine your destiny in life. Research and visit campus' that you are interested in, include those that you may feel are out of your financial reach. Once you have narrowed down your choice to a couple of schools, start dialoging with conselors and financial aide personel that way, they get to know your face and who you are. You become a real person to them and not just a number in their file. This may position you to first choice when being reviewed by financial and scholarship board members. So, that college that seemed out of reach could possibily become reality!

If I were able to go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior I'd probably be better off than I am today. I'd tell myself that although the high school experience is important, I should focus more on academics. I would say that starting at a university is more beneficial than starting at a community college because then you are more likely to graduate in four years rather than the 5+ it is taking you now. I'd tell myself that getting involved is crucial. Sports, hobbies, clubs, and societies can provide endless scholarship opportunities and even help on applications to medical school. Most importantly I'd tell myself to never give up because five years later, here I am, still an undergrad feeling a little bit defeated, but still trying my hardest to reach medical school. When you start college as a freshman it's a clean slate and an opportunity to be whatever you want to be. The time to make your future count is now, in your college years. These are the grades that matter and these are the opportunities and experiences that matter.

Throughout my life and my journey through school, I have prepared and dreamed of one moment; this moment, right here, right now. Going to college is my one and only priority. One of the things that college has taught me so far is how to manage my money. Living the college life is no where near free, so if your money is not managed right, you could end up in more debt than you thought possible. Another thing I learned from my college experience thus far is independence! In college, you dont have teachers giving you detention for missed classwork or favortism because your the teachers pet. You have to learn how to study and work hard on your own. There is a lot of room for mistakes and errors but there is a lot of room for growing and learning too. This whole experience has been so valuable to me because college has helped me change and become a more responsible young adult. These lessons are life long lessons and will be with me until the end of time. I can only hope that most college students feel the same as I do and realize what they have.

When choosing which college I wanted to attend I had been contemplating whether I should go to Michigan State University or Wayne State university. After going to the scholarship and orinetation meeting I found that at Wayne State they were more inviting and focused on what you could bring to the community of the university. The professor I have now are genuinly concerned with your sucuss in the class and they keep in contact with you when you yourself have concerns and questions. This school has challenged me to do my best and given me opprotunities like joining the cross-country team. Even from this program I have gained skills that have been part of what I do in my classes. For example when I train I push myself to get the most out of every work-out and the same is applied to my classes, if I want something I need to work for it. Along the lines of Sports Wayne State has some of the greatest coaches you'll find in the nation, everyone one of them wants to win and they know how to make you the best you can be. I love every part of WSU.

My advice to parents and students about finding the right college is to start looking early in high school. Make several visits to the campus(es) you are really considering and see if they have a program where the student can stay a few days and really learn about the campus from a student's everyday point of view. Ask questions; even if they seem very simple. Advice for the parents: don't force your child to go to a specific school; let them choose. If the parents choose the college, the student won't always be happy about the choice and won't necessarily try to succeed. As for making the most of your college experience, I would say, learn how to balance school and your social life. School is not your entire life and neither is socializing; you need to find a happy medium and stick to it. Remember to have fun, but keep an open mind about learning. Learning in the sense of other cultures, people, and your field of study. Branch out of your comfort zone and network with others! You never know what positive outcomes may occur from it!

So far my college experience has been great. I have learned so many responsibilities while attending. First of all I learned how to manage a checking account; you have to learn about money because of the costs of college. Second, I learned about studying and going to all my class meetings; I learned the most efficient ways of studying and passing my exams. Third , I learned about myself and what I wanted to persuit in life. What I found was that, according to my background, I truly want to be a social worker. I look back at my life and really think about everything I went through and have learned. I was in and out of foster care from age 11. My mom was a single mom raising 5 children on her own. So I have learned a lot about my social workers, one of which told me I should think about social work. I have been in 5 foster homes and learned that a couple of the families were not the greatest foster parents. What I want to do is help eliminate back foster parenting by helping foster parents and children. That is why college was important to me.

Take your time. It’s ok to try to find out what you want to do with your life first, as long as get your degree and your moving forward. Don’t be stuck in the past, because you will make better memories; Better then you ever imagined. I would tell myself that most people I know who graduate in four years are still job searching for years to come; Most of them not in the profession that they earned their degree. They are stuck in jobs just for income. These people have a mountain of debt with their subordinate careers and plenty of time to think about things differently. You on the other hand can go to a community college and visit friends on the weekends. You know how to have a good time and you know when to get serious. Many opportunities will come along from the people you know. These opportunities may lead you to your career; Some will not but use your judgment and you will succeed. Maybe your employer will end up paying for your education or maybe you will earn scholarships. Just work hard and you will find your own way; you always have.