Wayne State University

« See more reviews of Wayne State University

Is it not obvious that many wish they could go back in time to tell themselves to work harder so they could be in a better position than they presently are? Even though I've made the Dean's list every semester so far, I am still one of those people. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not be over confident. I graduated eighth in my high school class, so I had no reason to expect difficulties my first year of college. Indeed, I had even taken the high-school version of my first semester college math class, so I was expecting it to be easy. Much to my surprise, I received a 1/20 on my first quiz, and found that I had to attend my teacher's office hours, just about every week. Fortunately, I was able to earn a B in that class, and that is the lowest grade I've ever received in college. In short, I would tell myself that the key to succeeding in college is the ability to adapt quickly, and not hesitate to seek help when needed.

College has opened doors for me in ways I hadn't imagined. I got the opertunity to study abroad once and use what I have learned in college in connecting a communicating with people from around the world and differenct cultures. I have learned a lot and been able to make friends and connections that will last a lifetime and I got my first job experiences thanks to the work-study programs available at my college. I think going to college is valuable because it gives you the means to obtain a job in which you have had training and proof of skill. Even if you've had experience, there is nothing to prove that and college gives you a solid proof that one is knowlegable in the area in which they are seeking a job. Not only is college good for job hunting, but it allows some people social experiences and interactions they wouldn't have tried otherwise and makes people more culturally aware. As a society being culturally aware is important, because that is what makes peace around the world.

Moving out is a great opportunity for people to grow and make new friends, but it's not for everyone. It's certainly not for you. Stop rushing to get away and start appreciating your family (and free food and lodging) more. A lot of anxiety comes from starting college, and without friends and family around you it's hard to handle. You are going to be much happier commuting and staying closer to you friends, family, and job. Make sure you talk to someone the first day of every class, you'll make some amazing friends that way. Don't be self conscious if you end up eating alone in the cafeteria - nobody is judging you. Your classes may seem pointless sometimes, but I promise that you will learn a ton of stuff in every one. Not just about that subject, but about yourself and people around you and life. Don't skip classes, you're mssing out and your grade will drop. Also, don't date that one guy. What are you even thinking? Good luck, and have fun discovering who you are.

First, if I could go back in time as a high school student I would give my self an advise I should of tooken when I was a high school student. I would advice myself to keep track of deadlines and quit slacking off, to take every little oportunitty presented in life. As a high school student I was the type of shy student, therefore I could of been in class but yet never participated or ask questions when I was confused or didn't get the idea. I would give myself an advice of forgetting that there was people looking at me and see them as family, that way I wouldn't have fallen in my own trap. Now as I look back in time I ask myself many questions and say to myself what if. But what if, is only a symbol of lack of self esteem because what if didn't happen yet I can make all those left behind projects I left. In conclusion, the best advice I would give myself would be, not to be shy and participate in all the activities presented in my life. Also to focus on my classes.

Figuring out what college or university is the best choice for you is difficult. It's not something that anyone can tell exactly how to do it. You just have to do what you think is the best thing for you. When I was in high school I thought I knew where I wanted to be for college. I applied to two schools, to have a backup. I got in to my first school of choice, CMU, and was so excited! In August, I moved into my first dorm at CMU. I met my roommates and was suddenly terrified. I had just been in the car for over 2 hours and my parents were leaving me here alone. I didn't have a good year. I had roommate issues and was always homesick. Over christmas break, I decided I wasn't going back there for my Sophomore year. I applied to schools again because I wanted to be home. I decided to go to Wayne and live here. This is such a better fit for me, and it was my second choice. Really think hard about the decision to be made and make sure its the right one for you.

When a student is looking for the right college to attend to you gotta look for acedemic majors that are offered, extracurricular possibilities, look into the location as well to see if you want to stay near home or out the state. Check the academics programs and campus life for better opportunities. Make sure you check the cost of the school your going to attend too thats very important, and look into diversity on campus as well. Future students remember to be responsible and never give up, college will be stressful for first year students, it was for me too. Just be dedicated to your work and take breaks to reduce stress build up. Have fun and have time for yourself when needed. Parents my advice to you is to always be supportive in your son or daughter cause your opinion does count talk it over with your children and come up with the best solution that the student and parent can agree on. Last piece of advice stay focused and pay very close attention.

Wayne State is very similar to high school in a sense that you have a very similar amount of responsibility as you did as a senior. The work load is pretty heavy though. Spending time daily reviewing and studying for each class is highly reccomended because it is really easy to get behind in certain classes. I would never advise anyone to purchase books from book stores around campus but to search websites such as abebooks.com. You'll save lots of money this way. Visit counselors and people in your desired field of work often to make sure you are on the right track and avoid any setbacks. Never give yourself to many classes, especially if you plan to work a job as well as go to school. Even a part-time job can intertere with your school work if you have 4 or more classes. Never be afraid to ask for help, this is a very big school and its easy to be overlooked so make youself known and most of the time, professors are willing to give help to those who ask.

Honestly, from my college experience I believe that ive changed so positively as a person. For example, when I began college I was so irresponsible with my money and so dependent on my mom that I couldnt even think for myself. By college being somewhat like the real world the freedom of being away from home hit me hard which forced me to grow up. Staying on campus was really fun but through my failure in classes I had to learn that its ok to have fun but be responsible and get on your job and do what you came to college for. My college experience along with staying on campus was truly amazing, but the most valuable things ive learned from college was not how to binge drink or smoke from a bong but how to deal with the real world without mommy and daddy and to grow up on my own. My college experience taught me how to become more diverse and how to handle myself in every possible situation. My college experience has taught me how to be successful and live.

I would tell my self to go into a medical major right out of high school and not to drop out! I changed my major three times in four years, then had to drop out do to finicial difficulities after being injured in an accident. I wish I could do It over again, and get a degree after the first four years . Now I am old, have a ton of responsibilites and am stuck taking out student loans which I cannot afford, to attend another four years of college, since I pretty much have to start all over. Im old, and broke, but I have kept a 3.7 to 4.0 GPA over the last two years of college and am determinded to be the top of my class. I wish I could tell my younger self to stay in school and finish a good degree, and get good grades, so I could avoid all the suffering I go through now, working 40 hrs a week and going to school full-time, and having to fully support myself. Life is hard so I would tell my younger self to stop being so niave, and start being a sucess!

Don't procrastinate about getting in applications for schools and scholarships. Spend whatever free time you have getting money and getting to the next level. Although senior year may seem like a time to slack off, colleges look at your grades through your graduation day. After college, you can relax for the rest of your life, but for now put in the extra time and effort to get to that next level. The money and acceptance letters you eran now will make the future that much easier for you. No matter what you do, never give up and always keep looking ahead towards those goals you have set for yourself. It is so easy to get distracted and you have worked too hard to get where you are to just give it all up. Keep your head held high and never let anyone bring you down. Ten years from now, they will look back and realize that the fun they had is nothing compared to the money you are making now. The extra effort now will pay off in the long run.