Wayne State University

« See more reviews of Wayne State University

I would tell myself to stay on track. College life is a very exciting experience well you meet life long friends and you start to find out who you are. But, college classes are nothing like high school classes and there is no such thing as catching up (not saying its not possible though). Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need. The reason is that their are many advisors and tutors who like to see you succeed. Nobody wants to see you drop out or fail in college. Lastly you are in college for one reason and that is to pass your classes so you can get closer to your goal. Everything else in college is secondary and will always be there so your really not missing out on anything. That is the advice I would give myself since I had to learn all of it the hard way, which makes my advice the best to give since I've been down the hole.

I have enjoyed my return to college. I was accepted into a State University, but decided to attend a 2 year college instead due to my financial situation. I love the school that I attend. The teachers are great and don't hesistate with one-on-one time with the students. I have been able to make friends (most whom are much younger than myself), and get to experience the anxious feeling I get right before my test is handed back, and the feeling of accomplishment when I see that I have done well. I am looking forward to the next few years, and cannot wait to become a nurse. I will finally feel that I am contributing to society, and doing something that I enjoy. I am very proud of myself for going back to school and do not regret anything. I am doing my best and making those grades, and have gotten myself on the right track to success!

I would definitely tell myself to practice time management so that I do not get overwhelmed by the course workload, especially concerning big projects that require a lot of time commitment. I would also advise myself that although it is important to obtain a high G.P.A., I should still keep my priorities in check and always make time to relax and spend more time with families and friends. In addition, I would become more involved in student organizations and on-campus activities in order to build my network of students in not just my major, but in others as well. That way I would have a higher exposure to perspectives in different fields and be better able to decide on a back-up plan in case the major I chose when I started my undergraduate degree isn’t what I actually want to be involved in very much in my future.

If I could go back in time and change a few things my senior year in order to make the transition into college easier I would probably tell myself to get more informed about things. There are so many opportunities in college and so many oraganizations to join. College life is very different and I had to make a lot of changes to my routines. I would tell myself to not fall behind because the courses go by so fast and that makes it really difficult to catch up later on. Being organized and timing everything is also very important when it comes to college. If there are ten things due in one it is very important to work something out and schedule when to do those things and do not have to stay up late and cram everything in one day. Learn to manage time because it keeps going and does not wait for anybody.

I would say that size does matter! Class size and school size are very important. For example, I don't learn well in large lecture halls. At my school I've been able to select classes that are smaller in size which has helped me greatly. Some have even been 8-10 students so there is a lot of instructor face-time. Also, the location of your school is important for a students overall happiness. If you are a person that loves city life (like me) you may not be happy in a small town. After school your activities would leave you frusterated and yearning for more. Once these two criteria are met it's important to choose a school with a variety of classes in the field you wish to study. The more class options there are the more likely you are to enjoy them. And most importantly be open and make friends!

Attending college has made me a more of an open minded and creative thinking person. The classes are challenging but not difficult, and have renewed my natural curiosity and willingness to learn after way too many years of being bored and unstimulated in public grade schools in my area. Starting college has allowed me to leave behind my regrets from middle school and high school and start over anew - I no longer have to worry about the expectations from before continuing to affect me because I'm in an entirely new environment with new people. I have become more outgoing and more willing to try new things, as well as more conscious about my health. It's only been a semester, and yet I can already tell that college is going to be one of the best experiences of my life, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

My advice to parents as well as students is to do your research. When it comes to choosing a college, be conservative. Think about the cost factor in relation to the degree, which should never be generic. Be specific, have high demands and realistic expectations. You will never want to borrow more than you can afford to pay back; neither in finances such as loans, but academically as well. Although no one can predict the job market, always try to fall back on your interests and goals. Remember to always have a back-up plan just in case the first option doesn't work out to your interests, as they may sometimes do. Finally, I would suggest that after a few decisions are narrowed down, pick the best one and run with it. Have fun, learn lots, be creative, and always appreciate your efforts.

If I could go back to my senior year of high school and give myself some advice I would tell myself to enroll in a math class so that math could be fresh on my mind that way I would not have had to take two remedial math courses. I would also tell myself to search for scholarships to help pay for my tuition. I would also tell myself to take college seriously and that high grade point averages are very important. I was a procrastinator in high school and I would advise myself to break the bad habit now. Finally, I would tell myself to study hard and take advantage of volunteer activities. If I had someone to tell me this while I was in high school I would be in a better predicament and I would be ready for job internships and I would not have to worry about paying an college loans back.

It is time to go to college! The best thing that you can do for yourself is save the money that everyone has given to you at your open house! Do not spend all your money on clothing because just like time it will come and go! Instead, save for today so that tomorrow you can relax! College is a business- unfortunately its business is to keep you in debt! Your business is to graduate! Along the road to graduation, you will have fun and meet new friends. Some friends are only temporary but others are there to help you succeed! Do not forget that the road to graduation will not be a smooth one- it will most certainly have its ups and downs! Please do not fret or give up on yourself because this road just like life is only meant to test you in order to see is this what you truly want in life!

I’m a freshman student in the Irvine Valley College. I was a home schooled student from kindergarten to my senior year in high school. Going to college has helped me learn a lot. All my teachers have been very helpful, since I wasn’t used to the school system. Starting college has taught me to be more independent and responsible. My education is in my own hands, and I have to take advantage of it. The most valuable thing I’ve learned is to appreciate all the help my college offers. I love going to school and trying my best to keep my grades up. I am hoping to transfer to a four year college, and my community college has helped me a lot to try to achieve my dream. Learning how to be responsible wont only help me in college but it will also help me with everything I do in my life.