Wheaton, IL
Wheaton College-Wheaton

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wheaton College-Wheaton

Nick

I felt like some kind of plotting evil genius not only during my senior year in high school, but honestly, thought my high school career. I was Dr. Evil in Austin Powers. I had the vivid imagination, ultimately spent too much time on that vision and little to no time on putting it into action through ideas. I subsequently breezed through high school. Now, finishing up community college nearly two years later, soon to be enrolling in a four year college next spring, I finally came to the realization of the concept of time. Your world speeds up at an alarming rate after high school, arguably the slowest period of your life, where I had dreamed of eventually being able to move away and live the college life. Now, two years later it's about to become reality. I've progressed very little in two years in terms of creating a gameplan for the long term. I do have some serious ideas, but I would have told myself two years ago that you need to stop being a dreamer and being more of somebody creating ideas, because time will keep moving. Also, I don't want to rule the world.

laurissia

I would tell myself to prepare for the future while I am young by learning good habits. Procastination has to be the reason I struggle with school so I would fix the problem early rather than late. Becoming more active in all the activities at school would make school more exciting rather than making it a chore. Waking up early to eat a balanced breakfast every day will help me learn better and become more healthy. I would then tell myself to be a social butterfly and not be so afraid to talk to people because they are just like me. Engaging in classroom discussions and going above and beyond on every assignment would be a habit. Staying after school to particiapate in the spanish clubs is something I wish I could have taken advantage of. I believe learning about different ethnic backgrounds makes a person more diverse and open minded. Taking advantage of the opprotunity to travel with the school to different countries would have been ideal. Ultimately high school was a short part of my life where I learned a lot about myself. College is where I overcame my fears and bad habits and became a better student.

Phoebe

Wheaton's main goal is to push students academically and spiritually. A student who enrolls here must be prepared to face rigorous academics, mandatory chapel, and moderately strict rules. A student who wants to spend the weekends partying without the stress of homework should look elsewhere. Also, students are expected to be Christians. They do not need to be perfect of course, but students are encouraged to develop their faith while they are here.

Dear senior Phoebe, Congratulations, you are almost done with high school! As your high school life begins to end and college looms in the distance, I know that you must be getting nervous. Don't worry--that is totally normal! However, to make it a little easier, I'll give you a few tips to remember as you begin your college experience next year. First of all, before you enter college, think about who you will want to be. You'll be in a new place with new people and new opportunities, which means you can erase all your past mistakes and preconceptions and start with a blank canvas. Who do you want to be? You have the power to reshape your identity. Take advantage of that. Forge ahead with courage. Meet as many people as possible. Join a group simply because it sounds interesting to you. If you make mistakes, pick yourself back up and try again. These tips will get you started on the right path as you enter college, but the rest you will have to figure out on your own. I know you can do it. Good luck! Sincerely, College Phoebe

The best things about Wheaton are the Christian atmosphere and the challenging curriculum. Wheaton encourages students to push themselves both academically and spiritually without being forceful. The atmosphere is so friendly and welcoming--anyone would feel at home here. The community is great and even though I am only in my second semester, I have found great friends. And lastly, the food is spectacular! Currently, we are ranked 6th in the nation of best college food!

Victoria

Strong Christians, strong academically, they truly want to get to know you and see you suceed in life

Looking back on my senior year I see my teachers pushing me just enough to finish strong to the end. While I didn’t catch “senioritis”, I continued to foster the mindset of “I'm done with school”. So much of what I did in high school was for the sake of getting into college. “Oh this will look good on my transcript” predominated my thinking for many of the activities I was involved with. I hardly ever took the time to enjoy things just for the sake of doing them, to explore what my passions were. I saw the fruits of this when I arrived on campus to find so many clubs and organizations vying for my attention, though none caught my eye. I hadn’t a clue as to my interests. “I have no reason to participate in anything, I’ve already got into college”, filled my thinking. I spent so much of my freshmen year, just figuring out who I was and what I wanted in life. If I were to do high school again, I’d take the time to discover the things in life that bring me joy, to be involved because I actually care.

read over the community covenant, if you feel like you can't live by that then, maybe Wheaton isnt the place for you, we believe in grace but will hold you to the covenant

Jenny
What do students complain about most?

The dating scene - students complain how conservative Wheaties can be when it comes to dating

What do students complain about most?

Wheaties are subject to many stereotypes: good Christian kids, perfectionist, uptight. In general, the student body at Wheaton is a little bit special because students are aware that they are in a Christian institution and that there is a community covenant. However, as you get to know more students in depth, you will realize that everyone is more complicated than you think. Just like everyone else, students here are struggles with many things, whether it be academics, relationship issues, or faith. However, the vast majority of the students here do have a serious relationship with Jesus and desire to grow in their faith. That being said, some students are more liberal than others and some are more unafraid of expressing their idiosyncrasies. It really is impossible to categorize all Wheaties under one. The majority of the students here are North Americans, or at least holds an American passport. However, there is a good amount of third culture kids (TCKs) and missionary kids (MKs) who have experience growing up overseas.

Academics at Wheaton are extremely rewarding. I can honestly and safely say that the classes I took at Wheaton are some of the most thought-provoking classes that challenged many of my perspectives and urged me to look at subjects from different angles. ALL my professors know my name and all the professors are extremely eager to get to know their students. There is a "Dine with the Mind" program at Wheaton, where students are encouraged to treat their professors to a meal at the cafeteria by obtaining a complimentary meal ticket from the Students Activities Office. I have had three lunches with three different professors this year, when we just chatted about ourselves, the course, and our faith. One of my professor invited the class to his house twice to make up for a cancelled class and to host a review session for a test. Another one of my professor invited the class to his house for dinner and movie. Yes, professors love their students here, and students should definitely NOT take this for granted! Two of my favorite classes I've taken so far are Foundations of Ministry with Dr.Root and Intro to Anthropology with Dr.Howell. Dr.Root taught me what it means to be servants of Jesus and genuinely CARE for others, and Dr.Howell challenged me to think about what the gospel say about diversity and different cultures. This class helped me grow in my faith like nothing else. Since class sizes are relatively small, class participation is quite active. Students here are generally intelligent and challenges each other to think. I have had many intellectual conversations with my peers outside of class that were just as valuable as in class learning. Most students take their learning seriously, yet students are definitely not competitive with each other in a nasty / unhelpful way. Since Wheaton is a liberal arts college, there are many general education requirements, ranging from art survey to lab sciences. Wheaton definitely puts emphasis on the idea of "learning for learning's sake," and I can say that, cliche aside, I have felt the joy of learning here.

Alicia

If I were to go back in time, I would stress how important it is to look for scholarships early on. I have spent the past two years at my local community college, which has helped me save a lot of money, but now I am transferring to a four-year university and the cost is much higher. Considering that I have to pay for all of my college out of my own pocket, I would explain to myself that I really needed to be applying to at least one scholarship every day. If I had been applying to one scholarship every day since my senior year, I wouldn't currently be working five part-time jobs and searching for scholarships every day while still going to school as a full-time student. If I could convince myself how important scholarships really are, I think that I would be in a much better place right now.

Sara

I would tell myself to take as many college classes as I could in high school to further up the college process. Not only does it count as college credit, but it also counts for high school credits to graduate. I would also tell myself to not stress out about the whole college experience. It is a little scary in the beginning, but you get the hang of things pretty quickly and it isn't worth all the worry that people sometimes have. I would tell myself to set goals and have dreams and to reach for the sky until you reach those goals and dreams. You are the only one that holds yourself back or pushes yourself forward so you might as well make it count and reach for the stars!

Erica

The professors really care about you as a person and do their best to invest in you not only as an academic being, but a pers...

The professors really care about you as a person and do their best to invest in you not only as an academic being, but a person.

A Christian student who is looking to integrate their faith and learning in a academically rigorous environment.

Rachael

More words of warning to prospective Wheaton College students: Wheaton's campus is unfortunately very homophobic. The school's Community Covenant that every student signs before enrolling condemns homosexuality and outlines specific consequences for students who "practice homosexuality". While there is some level of discussion among both students and staff about homosexuality, it is usually misinformed, judgemental, and lacks empathy for the unknown student who may be questioning his or her sexuality.

Before you take the huge and humbling leap from the top of the food chain to being a small fish in a big pond, let me share two pieces of advice with you. First, to repeat exactly what you've heard from your grandparents, aunts, neighbors, and teachers, college is an incredibly formative time of your life. You know this, but be careful not to view these next four years as the most decisive and concluding seal on who you are. There is an abudance of growth, change, breaking, and renewing in the years after college, just as the years leading up to this point have contained. You will succeed, be challenged, make mistakes, and heal in very significant ways in the next few years, but don't forget that your journey is bigger than the immediate present! Second, know that some of the friends you make in college will be lifelong, and some will be only for a time. It's important to be able to hold both with open hands. When you are able to do that, you affirm the value and uniqueness of the relationship as well as the person and their specific journey. Enjoy every moment!

Words of warning to prospective Wheaton College students: The student population at Wheaton College is incredibly homogenous: white, Christian, and upper middle class. While Wheaton offers an incredible liberal arts education, I found the student and culture to be somewhat stifling in its lack of ethnic, relgious, and socioeconomic diversity. Prospective students who crave different perspectives, voices, and backgrounds in their fellow student population should know that this is not readily available at Wheaton.

Adam

Students who come to Wheaton college are highly academic and generally buy into the liberal arts ideal in their approach to their education. There is also a very strong Christian sentiment among the members of the student body, rooted in a widespread motivation to learn how to better love and serve God.

Non-Christians. Career-minded individuals.

Wheaton College-Wheaton administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.