Wheaton, IL
Wheaton College-Wheaton

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Wheaton College-Wheaton

Rebekah

Students enrolled in the Wheaton College Conservatory of Music must complete a wide selection of general education classes in addition to conservatory training. This experience, with its demanding academics and music standards, produces well-rounded musicians who are prepared for life outside of college. Unlike the other schools which I considered, however, Wheaton College has a strong music program that promotes musical growth both for conservatory and non-conservatory students.

Students at Wheaton College tend to place their identity and self-worth on how busy and involved they are within the campus community and extra-curricular activities in addition to coursework. This results in students being so concerned with their crazy schedules that they do not give their full attention in class, social activities, and chapel. If more students gave themselves margins and boundaries instead of taking on too many responsibilities, the atmosphere would be more peaceful.

The more time I spend at Wheaton College as a student, the more I appreciate the value of the life lessons, insight, resources, and time for growth available during undergraduate study on this small campus. The Wheaton College professors and faculty constantly pour their time, energy, and wisdom into receptive students. Below are two examples of how Wheaton College professors and faculty members have encouraged me as a student. Dr. Ryken, the Wheaton College president, spoke at a recent Philosophy club meeting about his work in academia exhorted everyone present to embrace their calling as a scholars as a continuing vocation throughout the course of their lives. My philosophy professor, Dr. Talbot, challenges all his students to commit to thinking hard and well instead of accepting things or ideas at face value. Thus, through my college experience, I have learned valuable lessons on which I will draw for the rest of my life.

Wheaton is the most incredible school. The students, faculty, and staff here are amazingly kind and open-hearted. Professors often begin class or exams with prayer and are more focused on you as a student than getting research done to further their name in the academic world. The grace of God is ever-present in this school in chapel services, the dorms, the dining hall, and all campus events. I love this school and there is no way I could imagine myself anywhere else. The next four years are going to be the best!

College has been an incredible experience for me so far - it is so true when they say there is really nothing quite like it. The community at my school is something that I cherish now and know that I will miss once college is over. I love the classes too. I have some of the most intelligent and well-connected professors in the United States and it's such an honor to sit in their class and learn from then every week. I believe the best thing that I've gotten out of this school so far is the ability to really think more intelligently. My professors aren't focused on advancing their own academic standing as much as they yearn to impart their great knowledge to students. It's true that I do learn history and facts, but I've also learned how to approach the world and make good choices in my life. College is definitely an essential part of growing up, especially for anyone wishing to lead a content life and be able to successfully overcome any obstacle.

I wish I had known how loving and accepting this community was before deciding to come to Wheaton. It would have saved me a lot of time struggling with the decision of choosing a school if I could have seen how blissfully happy I would be at Wheaton.

Torunn

In a world in which liberal arts Christian Colleges are few, I can honestly say that Wheaton College holds true to giving me both an incredible liberal arts education, and a world perspective centered on Christ. I have been given the incredibly valuable gift of learning in a community that focuses on the teachings of Jesus and also pushes students to succeed in all areas of academia. Wheaton has taught me to keep an open mind, to become actively involved and invested in my community wherever that may be, and to challenge and surprise myself by trying new things and being curious about everything. At Wheaton I have taken language classes, math classes, English classes, Bible classes, sculpture classes, been involved in clubs and varsity sports and intramurals, and every time I think that something may not be for me I end up being surprised by what others have to teach me. Wheaton has given me an appreciation for all aspects of learning and life, and an understanding of the true value of a Christ-centered liberal arts education. I am so excited for the rest of my time at such an incredible college!

Who else gets to go to a school where the professors pray with the class before starting? Where chapel is not only mandatory but actually a worshipful experience with the entire student body? Where students are encouraged to bring their Bibles to every class, English, Theology, Biology and Spanish alike? The spiritual community here is incredible, and pursuing God in all aspects of your life is put as a primary focus in all areas of study. I tell my friends that they are missing out on this kind of Christian community.

Not being allowed to throw impromptu dance parties in your hall or dorm. I love to throw dance parties, and we can only dance at organized school dances like the square dance or annual ball. It exasperates me that I can't blast my jams and invite some friends over for a break-down.

My classmates are hard-working but fun-loving. We study hard (with good reason!), but also enjoy participating in the countless social activities that are always going on.

Wheaton is a fairly conservative school with strong academics and zero tolerance for drugs and alcohol. This is not a good school for slackers or party animals. To be honest, the weather takes a little getting used to as well; there is snow on the ground for a good half of the year. Though the fall is great, and there are lots of sunny days, those who can't stand cold weather should probably look elsewhere.

Above all, my college experience has expanded my horizons. I have learned so much from the college experience, even outside of the classroom. College has allowed me to explore an area entirely different from where I grew up, begin the process of living on my own, and meet the best friends I've ever known. These experiences might not be unique to my school. Yet attending Wheaton has allowed me to be a part of a strong, faith-based community. I love living in a place where I rarely encounter violence, drinking, or even profanity. Even the neverending snow has its benefits: I have certainly learned patience in waiting for spring. Wheaton has taught me more than I ever thought I did not know. It certainly is the right place for me.

Jared

Wheaton is a Christian liberal arts school that offers an intense education and requires that students take many classes covering a broad range of subjects.

First off, I would tell myself not to bring granola bars containing peanuts, because a guy on my floor is deathly allergic and peanut products have been banned. On a more serious note, I would offer encouragement by reinforcing what I?ve known for some time. I?m definitely smart enough to succeed in college. The secret to success, however, is balance. The balance between working diligently and goofing around with friends, between procrastinating and getting your work done, between work and sleep. In my opinion there is no universal answer to these questions. You have to find out for yourself often by trial and error. Also, I would say that in order to succeed in college, you must not procrastinate, and you must learn to read. By that I mean you must learn to read quickly, carefully, and selectively, knowing that you can?t always finish every assignment. It?s vital to know what parts of a reading assignment you can skim, and what parts you really need to know. Looking back, I would have told myself to practice those skills before coming to college, because they make life a lot more enjoyable.

A Wheaton student must be willing to read a lot, willing to study late into the night, willing to live under the Community Covenant which we all sign, willing to go to a school with no crazy partying, willing to live in a powerful Christian community.

Karalee

Everyone has this vision in their head of setting foot on their college campuses freshman year and having a fresh start. Students are eager to start over and to become someone new. After all, these people you are now surrounded by in college didn?t know you in high school, so this is your chance to create a new identity. While I think college is a great opportunity to have a fresh start and to begin a new chapter in your life, I think it is unnecessary to be so adamant about changing your personality, habits or values that you have established and carried with you for the past eighteen years of your life. This would be the advice that I would have given myself during my senior year of high school in preparation for the transition to college. I would have liked to have been less concerned with figuring out how I wanted to ?start over? and more focused on building upon the foundation that I had already established for myself. College itself offers plenty of new opportunities and it is unnecessary to change who you are in order to find them.

A Christian liberal arts college seeking to empower its students to live lives that honor Christ and touch humanity.

The community. I am continually surprised by the depth of character in my peers. It is a privelege to study and live alongside them all!

College is the estuary of the world. It's a place where you will be challenged, engaged, and inspired. Deciding where to go to school directly impacts the next stage of your life, so make sure you pick well. And you will pick well if you carefully consider, thoughtfully pray, and take your time to decide. That being said, Wheaton College is a school where you will encounter opportunity in both academics and relationships. Investigate this college! It may be far from home and it may be out of your comfort zone, but do not let those petty fears keep you back from the beauty that this last year and a half has been. The four years of undergraduate study offer a time for fun, but remember that the person you are now is the person you are becoming for the rest of your life. So choose wisely. And don't regret. Pray and trust and take a leap! And remember, education is a gift, so always be thankful for the opportunties you have been given!

Cheney

If I had the ability to talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I now know I would tell myself to be prepared. I should have applied for more scholarships and put myself and my academic acheivements out for more people to see. Then perhaps instead of paying off loans I could be saving that money up for something realistic like a house.

The unity about my school is by far the best thing. Due to the fact that I attend a parochial school it is assumed that all members of the student body have an essential piece of our world view in common, namely religion.

Jacob

I would tell myself that College is a far different experience than High School. I would have prepared myself more by participating in internships, talking to companies, and getting out into the field. College is a lot of what you make of it. You can choose to have a very vigorous college career, or you can choose to coast on by. I have chosen thus far for my college career to be vigorous. If I could go back in time today, I would tell myself that studying was very important. Getting my homework done on time is just something that needs to be imbedded into my brain. When you get an assignment, you complete it. There is no excuses for not completing an assignment, because there is no credit given to late assignments. With a better work ethic, I would have a significantly better transition from High School into my College career.

Katrina

There are three specific things I would tell myself coming out of High school. First, always have a goal, even if its a small one. Its impossible to get anywhere if you are not moving, and its much easier to change directions if you are in motion than if you are standing still. Having a goal keeps you motivated and moving in a direction. Without a goal, life starts to pass you by. The second thing I would tell myself is to make sure to have a good advisor in college, and to listen to the advice of the advisor. too often I have followed the "knowledgable" advice of friends, only to find out that I knew more than they did. I have missed opportunities and rescheduled classes for graduation because I didn't take the time, or make the effort, to see my advisor. Advisors are there for a reason! Use them, rely on them, and you will not be disappointed. The third thing to keep in mind is that happiness is a choice. You can spend a lot of time dwelling on negatives, or you can choose to be positive and enjoy life. Choose the positive!

I think the academic advising system leaves something to be desired. I've rarely felt well-advised on the requirements for graduation and my direction. I would advise incoming students to be very intentional about seeking out a good advisor.

The great friendships and intentional friendliness and acceptance of everyone on campus. People are treated with the respect they deserve by their actions and behaviors, not by race or orientation.

Wheaton College-Wheaton administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.