Yale University

« See more reviews of Yale University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

At least where I'm from, many people think that Yale is a only a super serious academic institution, where everyone is intense about their grades without much of a life outside the classroom or library. Another stereotype I've encountered is that people think a lot, or even most of the people who go to Yale are from "old money". A third stereotype is that many people think Yale is a very politically liberal place.

Some call Yale the "gay Ivy," and while there is a glimmer of truth in most stereotypes, this perception is mostly inaccurate. I think the arts are emphasized more than at other Ivies, and that there is a comforting sense of community.

Yale is a place for rich, white, overly-privileged kids to continue their plans for economic domination. Yalies are uptight and insanely studious, rarely peeking out from their dorms/caves to see the light of a New Haven day.

At ant hour of the day, Yale students are always up to something. Whether it be studying in the library, singing in an a capella concert, or chatting with friends at the local coffee shop.

There are two types of students at Yale. The excessive partygoers (mainly athletes and fraternity brothers) and the studious people.

lots of gay guys, incredibly bright, politically liberal, a cappella nerds, theatre nerds, grade inflation, lots of asians

Yalies are all super smart and antisocial, everyone has a lot of money, it's a very preppy school, people are stuck-up

That we are very preppy and stuck up. It's also commonly thought that we're full of ourselves and/or assholes.

People tend to think that we always stay on campus doing homework, that we don't know how to have fun.

A history major talks about stereotypes and what she does for fun, among other things.