Yavapai College

« See more reviews of Yavapai College

Apply to every scholarship whether you meet the criteria or not. Start early and don't give up; college is important. You may not have time to do this when you're older, so soak it in now. There is a difference between private schools and public schools. More expensive doesn?t necessarily mean better. Try every other option before exploring student loans. Avoid debt at any cost! Get your paperwork in early. Community college is not a waste of time and is a smart move in your college career. Remember to pursue what makes you happy. Study hard. It's easy to fall into not going to class when you start missing them. Get involved in college activities and leadership roles. Organization and preparedness are key. Living on campus keeps you connected. Yes, there are community colleges with dorms. Get a mini fridge.; your mom will tell you to not to, but she?ll come around. Remember that change is inevitable and not necessarily a bad thing. Also remember to stay true to who you are, because, if you lose who you are, your future won?t look good no matter what advice you receive.

If I could advise myself, or any other high school student for that matter, I would emphasize the importance of enjoying your time in school. While school seems like a chore to many, it is one of the most interesting things many people will have the opportunity to enjoy. High school especially seemed so bothersome, but looking back it was a time of simplicity and should have been enjoyed to the fullest. At no other point in your life does one have so little responsibility. If you can go to school and do some homework the school part is done, the rest should be fun. I would say too that aside from enjoying your personal time, it is important to enjoy your classes. Some of the things you learn in school can seem boring but once you realize that everything you learn will be built upon later, it becomes more important. College is a lot of the same idea but it is more self-driven and takes a little bit more juggling to succeed. If one learns to appreciate the knowledge that is available to them, the possibilities of what one can do with that knowledge are endless.

One regret I have from my years in high school was not understadning how the college process worked. If I could go back, the very first thing I would say is that there are no such things as "too early" and "too many applications". I would say to start as early and rigorously as possible and to apply to as many colleges and scholarships as I could find. The more you apply the more opportties you open yourself up to and waiting until the last minute will hurt more than help. I would also tell myself that picking a major right away isn't as important as picking a school where you will be happy and recieve a good education in any field. Many students change their majors, but switching schools, even from a community college, is hard and expensive so making an educated decision on your school is very valuable. Lastly, have confidence in your ability to succeed, because even a good school won't be your jump start until you give it your best and believe that you will accomplish your goals. College isn't just another building, it's the next chapter in YOUR life.

Since I graduated high school in 2002 ,and waited to go until 2010, I would tell myself that it's not worth waiting. After having two kids and getting married, I would say go now. I would tell myself that college life is exciting, and a new step in matureing as an adult. Get your edeucation now so that would have your degree, and you would be on your way to starting your career. I think I would say that college life is not scary at all. I would tell me, that their is nothing to be intimidated for, its a good experience, and that you will regret not going now instead of later. Sure the classes will be harder, more intense, more studying, more homework, but look at the finish line. The transition will be rough at first, but you will get acusstum to the process of college. I would say be smart about the choices you make in your last year of high school because, they will effect your freshman year, and what college you get in to. Maybe, stop and think about, all the interesting lab experiments, the edeucation that goes with you for a lifetime experience.

Dear self, High school is coming to a quick end, and i have decided to write you some advice on how to handle the next upcoming stage in your life , college. The first time around you decided to attend a community college for athletics instead of a four year institution . Big mistake, my advice to you now is to pick the school that you REALLY want to attend and go for it! Even though you love to play volleyball it will not help you reach your academic. I suggest that you go to the school of your dreams, leave volleyball behind. Another point I have to make clear is stay ontop of your classes, you have always been a good student and just make sure you dont give into the "sleeping in monster". It will be exciting not having parents and the temptaion of no rules will consume you if not careful. My final suggestion to you is , dont get caught up in boys, they are seriously nothing but trouble! Your freshamn year you will meet a boy and fall in love please dont! Focus on GRADES! Dont quit and stay positive, and know you can do it! love, Me

If I were still in highschool, and I could give myself advice, there would be so many things that I would warn myself of. First of all, I would remind myself that you cannot get anywhere in life unless you find a good career. You will not be very successful if you just have a "job". I graduated highschool two years early, when I was 16, and so when I enrolled in college I was a little over whelmed. It is hard for a 16 year old to feel like she belongs in college. So basically I was caught up in boys and that is definately one piece of advice I would give myself, "forget the boys!". Niether my father nor my mother ever went to college. My father died when I was 12 which was very hard for me. I know he would have loved to see me go to school and succeed. That is my main goal in life. I want to be an orthodontist so bad. I just want to prove to myself and my family that if you put your mind to it you can do anything you want. Thank you so much! -Courtney Guinn

If I could go back to my senior year in highschool I would tell senior me to apply myself. This would include to study harder and achieve straight A's, focuss more on my art projects, get more involved in school activities, to respect my teachers who were just tring to show me the way to a better future and apply for scholarships. All of this work would better my chances of getting through college free. For instance; Good grades would prepare me for scholarship essays, by focussing on my art projects Icould enter contests and win money for school, by getting involed in school activities that would show scholarship committees integrity and commitment which would give me a higher chance of being awarded a scholarship and by respecting my teachers that would give me a better understanding of my potential and plenty of letters of recommendation to colleges and scholarship committees. If I did all this my senior year I could have my associates degree and be on my way toward a bachelors. Thats what I would explain to the lost senior me.

In the best year of my teen lives, i wish to tell myself that her college life is another part of the journey to take in. So much will happen and the best part about it is that you know what you are going to be: a teacher. Someone who will make a difference in young lives in a classroom. So now would be a good time to look at classes, a job in the field and look for a mentor who will guide through each step. You needn't worry about each problem that comes your way during the process because eventually everything will work out. It is amazing to have wonderful instructors at the college so take advantage of their advice while you can, so never be afraid to ask for help. If there is anytime in which you feel discourage, know in your heart that your children in the classroom are waiting for you, calling out your name, "Ms. Sonja!" Patiently they are waiting to learn about something exciting because it's coming from you. Trust when I say, they learn from a teacher they trust, so trust yourself and your students. Impossible is nothing.

The best advice I could give my high school self is to be responsible and not to rely on others to take care of me through my school work. Rather than expecting my teachers to notify me that I have not turned in an assignment, or that the due dates for certain assignments are coming up, I should be responsible for myself. I need to take good notes and take study sessions seriously before tests or quizzes rather than asking the teacher for help on most of the problems, because I did not take the time to review the material. I would tell myself to go above and beyond and do my best at all work that is given to me, so I can get more out of it, and recieve the best grade I am capable of. Additionally, I would practice at reading textbooks, instead of having the teacher go through it, I need to read ahead so I am able to ask questions or I can comment on the material the next day of class. Reading comprehension would also be helpful for my future self, so I become more familiar with what material we go over in class.

If I could go back in time and give advice to my younger self, my message would be simple: Don't be afraid of change. My transition to college was a very difficult one, mostly because I left my high school and my entire support network behind at the age of 15. I had taken every single honors and AP course my school offerred, and still found myself bored and frustrated most of the time. I would tell my younger self that the decision to leave was the right one. I would not lie and say that it wasn't painful, but it was worth it. College opened up new opportunities for me, new social connections and newfound interests; I would want to remind myself that leaving high school does not mean the end of meaningful relationships. I still see my old classmates and friends, and it bothers me less and less that our paths, which started out the same, are now diverging. I would want to remind my younger self about the satisfaction of working hard and being challenged, and remind myself that I am strong, and I am worth it.