I love this time of year: the weather is getting warmer, the nights are longer, and it’s time for Spring Break! Unfortunately, I won’t be headed to the warm beaches of the Caribbean; I’m stuck at home this year. While my friends are off riding the waves and working on their tans, I plan to use this time to apply for spring scholarships. Many scholarship programs have application deadlines between March and May, so now’s the perfect time to find free money for college. If you are stuck at home this Spring Break, set aside some time for scholarship searching. To help get you started, here’s a list of 10 spring scholarships you can apply for NOW!
1. Superpower Scholarship – For U.S. students (ages 13 and older), this scholarship requires a short essay (250 words or less) about which superhero or villain you would switch places with for one day and why. It’s super easy and super fun! You have to hurry though: the deadline to apply is March 31, 2012. Value: $2,500.
2. Nordstrom TEN4U Scholarship – A total of 80 scholarships worth $10,000 each (disbursed over 4 years) will be awarded to U.S. high school juniors who live in states where Nordstrom does business. Students must have 2.7 or higher GPAs and participate in community/volunteer service. Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of academic achievement, awards/honors, leadership, school activities, community/volunteer activities, financial and employment history. Deadline: May 1, 2012.
3. LEAGUE Foundation Scholarship – Open to any U.S. high school senior who self-identifies as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. Applicants must have 3.0 or higher GPAs and be involved in community/volunteer service. Applicants must also provide two (2) letters of recommendation and two (2) essays on the topics provided on the application. Deadline: April 30, 2012. Value: $1,500 - $2,500.
4. Hazing Awareness Scholarship – Any U.S. college student currently enrolled at a school with a Greek social setting may apply for this program. Applicants must have 2.0 or higher GPAs and must submit copies of the hazing policy at their schools. Deadline: April 6, 2012. Value: $500.
5. CBCF/Wal-Mart Strive for Excellence Scholarship – Over 100 awards valued between $1,000 and $2,750 are available for current U.S. undergraduate and graduate students. Applicants must have 2.5 or higher GPAs and submit essays (500-1000 words) addressing the topic on the application. Deadline: April 1, 2012.
6. CalcuNATION Blog Post Scholarship – Open to U.S. students, ages 15 to 19, who are current high school juniors or seniors. Each applicant must post a blog (300 words or more) on own website or as a guest blog on another website. Deadline: May 1, 2012. Value: $500.
7. Americanism Education Leaders Private Enterprise Essay Contest – Any current U.S. undergraduate student may apply. Each applicant must submit a brief biography and an essay (1,500 – 2,000 words) on one of the four topics listed: federal or state budgets, voter competency, closing tax loopholes or unemployment. Deadline: April 30, 2012. Value: $250 - $3,000.
8. CalcuNATION Blog Post Scholarship – Open to U.S. high school juniors or seniors, or homeschooled students between the ages of 16 and 18. To apply, the applicant must write an essay addressing one of the five topics listed on the Penguin Group website about this year's competition book (Emma by Jane Austen). Deadline: April 20, 2012. Value: $1,000.
9. U.S. Bank Internet Scholarship Program – Up to 40 scholarships worth $1,000 each will be awarded to randomly selected applicants. Any U.S. high school senior or college freshman, sophomore or junior may submit an application. Deadline: March 31, 2012.
10. All About Education Scholarship – U.S. students, ages 13 years or older, are invited to apply. Each applicant must submit a short essay (250 words or less) that answers the following question: “How will a $3,000 scholarship for education make a difference in your life?” Deadline: April 30, 2012. Value: $3,000.
We want you to have the best college experience, so Plus-U moved in with Unigo. You're now part of the most extensive college network on the planet, with incredible resources to help you at every step of your journey.