Are There Jewish Scholarships?
There are many agencies that offer scholarships for Jewish students. Jewish scholarships defray costs of college. But unlike loans, are free. They may fund studies in the U.S. or abroad in Israel.
The goal of this aid is to nurture the Jewish culture by promoting higher education. So, some Jewish scholarships are for those who want to study Judaism or the Hebrew language.
Other scholarships do not restrict the major to a Jewish theme. But may prefer candidates who plan to build the Jewish community.
Applying for a Jewish Scholarship
To apply for a scholarship, you will also have to meet criteria other than being Jewish. Strong grades and financial need are a few. A track record of service in your synagogue or community is another.
- Being a resident of a certain area or state
- Up to date member
- Active promoter of Judaism, Israel or your local Jewish community
- Enrolled at a certain college
I’m Jewish, Where Can I Find Scholarships?
Many Jewish Community Foundations offer scholarships. These funds may pay for academic and career training.
Of these, there are agencies that fund employees’ and members’ studies. And those that work with local or national students.
Colleges are another source. Alumni donors often sponsor College Scholarship Funds. You can find these at both Christian and Jewish colleges FYI.
Why Consider Jewish Scholarships?
Judaism is one of the oldest religions and about 42 million people practice it in America. Many Jews came to the States after the Holocaust of World War II.
To understand their history, many Jews study it in school and may learn the Hebrew language. Some venture to Israel either as part of a study abroad, college or a Jewish pilgrimage program.
If this appeals to you, scholarships come in varying amounts. Some are set aside for college tuition and fees. But others are for the extras like travel and getting to know your heritage.
Top Jewish Scholarships for 2020
Here is our curated list of great scholarships for you to look for in 2020.
- Athletic Scholarships
- College-Specific Scholarships
- Company-Sponsored Scholarships
- Grants for College
- Merit-Based Scholarships
- Military Scholarships
- Minority Scholarships
- Our Scholarships
- Religious Scholarships
- Scholarship Contests & Sweepstakes
- Scholarships by Major
- Scholarships by State
- Scholarships by Type
- Scholarships for Graduate Students
- Scholarships for High School Students
- Scholarships for Undergraduate Students
- Weird Scholarships
- $1,500 - I Have a Dream Scholarship
- $10,000 - Unigo $10K Scholarship
- $1,500 - Sweet and Simple Scholarship
- $2,500 - Superpower Scholarship
- $3,000 - All About Education Scholarship
- $1,500 - Fifth Month Scholarship
- $1,500 - Do-Over Scholarship
- $1,500 - Flavor of the Month Scholarship
- $1,500 - Make Me Laugh Scholarship
- $1,500 - Shout It Out Scholarship
- $2,000 - Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship
- $5,000 - Education Matters Scholarship
- $1,500 - Top Ten List Scholarship