Alabama State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Alabama State University

Mercedes

Alabama State is a very outgoing place there's room for everybody to be who they really are. We put education first here at Alabama State but there's also time to bond. Professors are very understanding and are willing to help any student. At Alabama State everybody is somebody.

Matthew

Alabama State University has opened my eyes and has been a wonderful help now that I have stepped into the real world. The academics have already proven to be challenging but extremely relevant and helpful as I continue through each semester. The school had the perfect hospitable invitation for me and that is why I have had a great experience being in attendance here thus far. Lastly, the staff has always been full of teachers that have had the will, the confidence, and the availability to help me with all the challenges I have experienced. Therefore, this all has made me highly optimistic of my prolonged enrollment at Alabama State University.

Justyce

I love Alabama State University. It is a great experience and offers you plenty of opportunities. It reminds you of the HBCUs that be on TV. The professors are extremely nice and will make sure you understand a lesson before moving on. The campus always have something to do so you can never have nothing to do. If you're not going to a football game, there is yoga available and mentoring groups to help people go through personal situations.

Jeremy

ASU is a great university to attend. There is plenty of support around campus, and the school presents many career opportunities for student's futures.

Kyra

You have to get in where you fit in. If you are not apart of anything then you will not like it here. The food is not the best, but there are a lot of delivery places near by. Teachers are always here to help you, and partying scene is not a big thing on campus.

Angel

My overall opinion about Alabama State University it is a great HBCU attend if you really want to have a great college experience. The professors are very nice and well help you if you really need it. The class size is small and it is good because you speak your opinion in class and you will get to know the teachers one on one. The dorms are not that great it has several issues but you will enjoy and teaches you a lot.

Nadia

It is not terrible. I just personally don't like it. I think I could be somewhere better. Also that I have potential to be somewhere better. I would just prefer to be somewhere else. But someone else might like it. It is just not for me. There are some aspects of the school such as being on my own and meeting different people which is cool. But, overall, it is not my cup of tea.

Nya

Alabama State University has a nice campus and the professors are very open and ready to help you with any problem you may run into. The classroom sizes are average which I personal like. there's plenty of financial opportunities and equal volunteer opportunity through out the campus. I love my Hbcu

Ken

I attended ASU for only one semester before leaving. My experience was that a significant amount of people were dissatisfied with having chosen the university, and were attempting to transfer elsewhere. In my dormitory (MLK Hall), there were several people who were disgruntled, and fomenting plans to leave the university. The condition of the dorms were terrible. It was something you would expect from a third-world country. The vast majority of the dorms were extremely dirty, and run down beyond belief. There was dirt on the floors and walls, and the elevator was full of dirt, and always broken down. There were one or two new dormitories on the campus, which were reserved for Juniors and Seniors, but they were being actively torn apart by the students living in them. It was very common to find trays of food sitting in the hallways or stairwells. Most of the buildings on the campus were also run down -- although they were in better condition than the typical campus dormitory. The were two new buildings on the campus -- the Student Center and the Library. The students were destroying the furniture in the "new" Student Center by cutting holes into it and pulling out the cushions. The Library seemed to be the only building that students were not destroying. The university's cafe was in decent condition, but it was not sanitary due to students leaving their plates on the table, and expecting others to pick up behind them. I often had to push abandoned plates of food out of my way, in order to have space to dine. The professors were pretty well educated, and did their jobs very well. However, the university's bureaucracy was extremely disorganized and very slow moving. The university's staff was generally disinterested in helping students, and very dismissive, while lacking a sense of urgency. The positive thing about the university, is that it had a pretty vibrant campus life, and there was a significant amount of pride for the university among students and alumnus. Usually, there was always something to do on campus, and there were very interesting people to meet and to get to know. Initially, I overlooked the shortcomings of the university, because I was having such a good time. However, I would advise prospective students to visit the university, and take all considerations into account before making a decision. Remember that your future is at stake. I will note that when I attended, there was a sincere and concerted effort by Gwendolyn Boyd (the "then" new university president) to fix the conditions, and she was making enormous progress. However, against the wishes of students, she was fired by a very short-sighted Board of Trustees. My best advice is to make sure you know what you are getting into before attending this university. I am giving you honesty, so that you can be clear-sighted, and able to make an informed decision. Understand -- this is a university that accepts nearly everyone! Therefore, it inherits some of the most troubled students -- students who do not belong and are not prepared for college. It accepts students that few other universities will accept. Although the majority of students are intelligent, well-mannered, and serious about obtaining an education.....the culture of the university is shaped by its worst elements.

Antnesha

I think Alabama State needs a lot of help but I love going there. At first you will hate it but the people is what makes it better. I met so many new people a lot of people that go there are very friendly. Majority of people that leave is because they can’t pay to go there no more.

Daden

It could be better. It's all about what you make it. It isn't much different from my high school, only difference is, you pay to be in a high school atmosphere. The academics could be better, the food is terrible at times. The campus isn't all to oblivious to what goes on, but the school could pay more attention.

Timmya

I honestly love ASU. It is my dream university and I wouldn't trade my spot here for a spot in Harvard any day. Everyone is like one giant family here and there is rarely drama. The center is academics and the professors really focus on academics and excelling verses grades and passing you to the next class. The food could be better and I feel like our buildings need remodeling because they are underfunded, but aside from that the housing is good and I love being a student at Alabama State University!

Chastity

Alabama State University is an all around GREAT school from my visitation to Alabama State I can tell that I am going to LOVE attending the University. Alabama State is a very underplayed University, I personally love it and all I did was visit I can only Imagine how it would be to actually live on campus and get to interact with the professors and the students it seems absolutely amazing.

Melody

ASU is a good size for a university. People are nice and open doors for others. The student Union is very nice. The campus needs more lights at night. ASU needs more money to make the facilities better for students . Everyone loves to see the band battle.

Brandun

Alabama State University has plenty of opportunity for students. The college is a HBCU but it treats all students. The staff is very nice and if you need anything someone is always available to assist you. I remember my first visit to ASU, I was completely terrified and very shy. Everybody was so nice and I eventually got comfortable with everyone. Opportunity is a Alabama State and I recommend this college to anyone.

Destiny

Here at Alabama state we pride ourselves in opportunity is here . Now with saying that you have to go out and grab the opportunity not just wait for it to come to you . The beauty of an hbcu is you get to feel and look st the historical buildings . Yes they may be old but the information being taught is what we are really after . Which pushes us to do more than expected. College life is what you make it .

Demond

It has been a different experience. I enjoy my classes and I have met very nice students and teachers. The dorm conditions are sub-optimal. The cafe has limited hours. The overall environment is ok. I do believe this could be a great school if the money was distributed to the areas of most concern first.

Elexis

I love my school because it is an HBCU and it offers a major that I am highly interested in but could not find at any other HBCU. A lot of our professors are foreign and that can be a little difficult at times, but they are always available during their office hours and through email if a student has any concerns. I believe my school could use an upgrade with on campus housing and with buying new space to expand on campus housing. Our cafeteria food is horrible, except when we have wings.

Naja

Alabama State University is a great school when i visited the school the atmosphere and the vibe at he schools campus made me fall in love with the school. i love all the opportunities available at the school. Alabama state university is the perfect place i see my future in higher education.

Makayla

It is very big and the spirit of the school is amazing. I love everyone there they are very nice and helpful . The dorms are big enough, the activities are fun and the games be crowded by a lot of supporters I LOVE IT!. Its nice professors they are also helpful and motivational that’s what I need !!!

Kristin

Attending Alabama State University was by far the best decision I could have made for an HBCU. You learn so much history about the school and the founders of such as historical college. Many schools have their ups and downs, pros and cons, and dos and don'ts, but as a college, we have to stick together and communicate as a whole. Things could be better, but nothing is perfect.

Victor

Alabama State University has an academic environment. I liked what i saw when i went there as an incoming fresher on tour. The campus feels safe, quiet, and there's a lot of activity going on. Overall, i feel enthusiastic about the school and i plan on attending the school of fall 2020.

Elliott

The Alabama State University is a place where you can feel welcomed and at home. You are treated like family immediately. Everyone loves to have fun and socialize. It is also full of hard-working intelligent young men and women. All together the place is generally AMAZING!

Dominique

Alabama State University is a great school. Besides the little things that happen on campus, everything is wonderful. Pretty girls, campus life, and the professors are all great. I wish my future children could come here for an education. My only wish for the school to be better is the timing of everything. The times of awarding the students with their refund check are barbaric.

Ashlee

If Alabama State University did something for me it did most certainly make me grow up as an adult. And built me into a strong person. Before I came to Alabama State University, I was a little to dependent on my parents to do things for me. Once I got to Alabama State University, I had to figure things out on my own, because I was so far away from home. I had to learn how to manage/ save the money I did have, that a received from my refund checks. I also had to learn that not everyone is going to be your friend and I had to learn that the hard way. You have to realize you came to college for one person and that is to get a degree, so that you can have a good paying career in the future. I also lost my grandfather my freshman year of college, and that was the hardest thing that I had to adjust to. Not being able to say goodbye before he past made me the most upset because I was so far from home, and I would have not made it back in time to say goodbye.

Torreyuana

Alabama Sate University is a school to encourage people about the history of Alabama. They provide the knowledge and ethics of life as to helping you become a better person. ASU is the school for you because they believe in your dreams and they see the person that you can become. If you want a school that cares about you and your future then I require you to join Alabama State University. They want you to succeed, believe, and achieve your goals in life.

Rhaniyah

Love it

Sarah Rebekah

Amazing school

Christian

Alabama State University is like no other university.

Alabama State has been my dream and first choice school for several years. The rich heritage of Alabama State University serves as one of the preeminent reasons for me attending. At ASU I plan to major in Criminal Justice and minor in Psychology. The academic and extra-curricular balance will give me a real sense of responsibility. Having played alto saxophone for the past 8 years, I plan to join the Mighty Marching Hornets. Participating in Honor Band and watching the Marching Hornets live pushed me even more to join the band. Alabama State is going to be the university to send my education to a higher level.

Dominique

Alabama state university is how you make it. Its often viewed as a bad school but its not for everyone. Some people love the school and do everything they ever wanted to do and graduate and others often leave because its not the best fit for them. And I feel my overall view on the school is its right for me. It was my number one pick when I graduated high school and I got in . Also I've met some really good people and connected with many. I love Alabama state and I'm happy that I'm one of those people who belong at the school.

Eunetha

I don’t have a opinion I think the school is a really good school to attend.

Anna

It is a fun school , full of joy and readiness for students needs . It’s not perfect but it’s a great school overall . Great expectation for the student body also for anyone else who plans to attend . We are the Hornets one team , one dream!I am a upcoming freshman who has visited with camps many years at Alabama State . Alabama State have a great program and a great learning system . Alabama State is the college to be .

Alexandria

Alabama State University creates a lot of opportunities with academics and campus life. Everything you would find would be your best fit for you and your future. I suggest you will find opportunities for yourself at the Alabama State if you are well determined.

Jada

I believe Alabama State University is full of many opportunities are there motto is "Opportunity is here". The staff is also, so kind and not too hard to reach at times over phone if you are trying to get in contact for more information relating to the school.

Damyzia

I love Alabama State University we have the best time on campus and the education process is amazing I fully promote my school at all times. I live in Michigan and I always promote my school for other students to attend. My school has changed me in so many great ways. I even encourage my own family members to apply to The Alabama State University.

Anessia

I love Alabama State University and plan on attending Fall 2020, My overall rating for this University is a 10. The people were great and helpful. The environment felt safe and I felt like I could call this place my second home. I was able to enjoy the outside activities and learn about inside classroom information.

LaTricia

Alabama State is a good school. I toured it during Spring break 2019 and my tour guide said that they have this special cadaver program and that really excited me because I am a weird child and I always wanted to hold a cadaver heart. Also they have some amazing food. Some schools have suck food but theirs is smack.

Jakevion

Alabama state is a really good school and I would attend in a heart beat. :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Rayvn

I believe that The Alabama State University is a great school it will help you and prepare you for your future. They help you with everything you need also they still take time out to make sure you have fun. We make every sport feel special the whole school comes out and have a good time.