Alcorn State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Alcorn State University

Jamea

I personally feel that Alcorn State University is a 2.5star school. I say this because ever since I have started my education journey here in the fall, I have felt completely lost. I do not like the fact that the Biology department does not have a set advisor for each student. This causes conflict because when you meet with one advisor they give you a set amount of information about your course curriculum. The next you may not be able to see that specific advisor, so you meet with a different one and they give you a totally different set of information. The problem then becomes choosing whose advice to take. Another issue is the overcrowding of classes. This semester my microbiology lab class was cancelled because the registrar’s office made a mistake and booked two different classes at the same time and place with the same teacher. This also causes conflict because now I have to worry about whether I will be able to take the lab at a different time without it conflicting with any of the other courses that I am taking this semester. This semester and a half has been very stressful so far. I came here as a transfer student and was not offered help or assistance from any staff, I learned all of the information I know now from asking other students. At the beginning of the year, the school has an informational session for the new students meaning, freshmen. The transfer students were not acknowledged at all. We were basically just left to find out everything on our own. I feel the main thing Alcorn needs to work on is being more informative and more student-oriented. Meaning all students should be shown the same amount of attention and giving the same amount of assistance whether it be a new freshman or a transfer student.

Dominique

It is an okay school for getting an education but not much in the way of things to do. The housing is way below average. The food is great most days but sometimes the cafeteria staff seems to run out of ideas. Alcorn was not my first choice and I'd go anywhere else if I could.

Amelia

I attend one of the best HBCUs in the country with a beautiful and rich history that we, the students, continue to add to everyday. The small size of this campus makes relationships between each other and our staff more personal and meaningful. We are taught from the time that we enroll that the sky is the limit. We can be anything that we choose to be and our professors are there and ready and ale to make sure that all of our goals are achieved.

Ronisha

Overall, I love my school. It feels like we are one big family. I have yet to have any problems on campus and I don’t think I’d run into any. I take pride in my school. Would definitely recommend it to anyone. Our academics are good and so are the sports.

Curtis

Alcorn State is a nice small college for everyone. It isn't the big, fancy school with all of the bells and whistles, but they have a tight knit family that makes everyone welcome. It's a great school with excellent programs and groups to join. Probably the only bad thing is that it is in the middle of no where which isn't fun if you're used to the city life.

Terrence

I love my school. I would highly recommend this university to any seniors. The people are excellent. Everything about this school is excellent. From the academics to the college experience, I give Alcorn State Unversity an 11 out of 10. This is one of the best colleges out there.

Daniesha

Alcorn State University is a great Hbcu. The school as a whole is beautiful and very small

Kamesha

Alcorn State University is a very friendly and family-like environment. The staff truly cares for us as staudemts and help with any and all problems that occur on campus. There is a lot of fun on campus but also a lot of work when it comes to the classes.

arielle

My overall opinion is Alcorn has a lot of potential to be so much better than what they are allowing. Starting with renovating the living arrangements for students. Alcorn needs more housing than anything. It takes no time for the dorms to fill up , and the living environment could definitely use most of the work. Showers and dorm rooms especially.

Brian

My overall opinion of Alcorn State University

ASIAH

My overall opinion of Alcorn is that the environment and people are great. Coming to Alcorn was the best decision for me. It feels like home. A few things I love about the yard is instructors, food, and the academic opportunities. I love it here and they make me feel like family! #ASU21

Kiara

ASU is a very fun, go-to college. Everyone welcomes everyone. The environment of the college makes you feel like you're family with everyone. It's location is outside the city limits, but that's the beauty of it. The air IS cleaner. The grass IS greener. And the water IS just a little bit sweeter.

Mya

I love the calm environment in the classroom, and the exciting events around the school. The other students are extremely humble and friendly. The food is alright but it will always be better than high school lunch. The professors are strict but would give extra help to those who prove they really want it. I absolutely love being a Brave.

William

I love all Alcorn State University has to offer. From the professors to the custodians and the students. We are proud of our school and the people who attend feel proud to be an Alcorn Brave! I encourage everyone who wants to enjoy a school who is a home away from to come, learn, experience, and grow with people who aspire to be the best in whatever life throws at them. Be are Brave strong at Alcorn!

Kierra

It's the best HBCU around. It's nice, friendly and

Jaeda

Alcorn State University as you may know is the first HBCU land grant in Mississippi. We were the very first HBCU. Alcorn State University has been around since 1871. Even though as some may classify us being “in the woods” we always have something to do. The student body is what makes Alcorn Alcorn . Although, I feel like our food choices could be better, and also our living conditions, considering most dorms have been here since the 1800’s, I feel like Alcorn should remodel and rebuild our dorms. Even though they have made new dorms that are apartment style, all students can’t fit in those dorms which means a lot of students are in the older dorms, that have been there for over decades. You may hear people say “Alcorn is not built for the weak” that is why . Other than those minor issues I see, Alcorn has always been my dream school and I must say I am proud to be a BRAVE .

Amaria

I love my HBCU and would not dream of going anywhere else. Alcorn State University is amazing. The grass is greener, the air is cleaner, and the water is just a little bit sweeter. From the football games to just regular events Alcorn is great. The academics are great too. The professors really makes sure you fully understand what your are learning. It is very welcoming and home.

Asia

I have been dreaming to attend this university since my sophomore year in high school and I don’t regret choosing Alcorn as my school. . I believe this is the best experience of my life . The atmosphere is wonderful. Everyone is like family here. I would recommend anyone to come be apart of this experience.

Jodie

Alcorn State University has been a historically black institution since 1871. ASU is known for its agricultural roots and thus far produced some notable figures...Growing up as a child I’ve always known that attending the university would be my focal point. Although I was late in getting started due to financial reason, now I’m in attendance with hopes of finishing soon. I was welcomed as a Brave by the school and feel that my education will benefit in finding a great full time occupation in Social Work...

Ebonye