Ball State University Top Questions

Aubrey

If I had a time machine I would tell myself that I should put myself out there and join clubs and activities that actually interest me. There is nothing wrong with going to an activity fair and signing up for a couple meetings to get yourself out there and meet new people. I would also tell myself to be money conscious, a dollar can go a long way in college as long as you know what you're doing, Finally I would tell myself that if you have a test or a big paper due next week start studying now, there is nothing worse than staying up all night before trying desperately to type or study enough to be ready for something that could have been taken care of days ago.

If I could go back in time to my senior year of high school the greatest piece of advice that I would give myself would be to slow down. I am a workaholic and am constantly busy with something. I wish I would have slowed down and savored every moment. I am the older brother to three siblings and I wish I could go back and have spent more time with them. I hardly get to see them anymore and I know that because of constantly working like I did, I missed out on some memories that I would have loved to have experienced. Finally the last little bit of advice I would give myself would be to apply for more scholarships. College is expensive and if I want to make my dreams a reality scholarships are one of the best ways to make that happen.

teage

I earned many dual credit classes in high school. This allowed me to enter college with almost enough credits to begin as a sophmore. I would have looked into additional classes that would have given dual credit or been AP courses. These mean so much while in college. These give you more flexibility to possibly graduate early or allow you to study abroad during your time in college.

As you begin packing and thinking about the next four years of your life, keep an open mind! There is no need to bring your whole wardrobe with you, you will not wear half the things you think you will. Go to the activities during Welcome Week that the school plans for the freshmen. Lots of people work really hard in order to find and make the opportunities that are given that week. Keep your dorm room door open, and introduce yourself to the girls on your floor, even if they never talk to you again, you never know who you will meet. Join at least one club and stick with it, it will be an amazing resume booster, if nothing else. Go through the Greek recruitment process, you meet so many people who can open so many doors for you at any moment. Go to class, you are paying for it after all. In class, get to know your professors, most of them care about your success. Those professors who care, put in the extra work, and make themselves available, if you do them the same courtesy. Lastly, have fun and in the end, have no regrets!

Collin

I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships. I have saved over $5,000 to pay off my college debt but that will still not be enough to may off my college debt. I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships possible because scholarships are harder to earn as you get older. I also would of told myself about the degree that I am in right now, Residential Proeprty Management. If I would of knewq about it sooner, I could of apply for more schoalrships because I was eligable. I would also tell myself to keep your confidences high and dream big!

Tatyonna

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would really say really be prepared because transitioning to college is a bittersweet moment. Be prepared to face all the challenges that may hit you; mentally, socially, financially and emotionally. Be prepared to face new faces and friends; they could be either life long ones or just plain trouble so watch out and pay attention. Be prepared to really be tested by your professors; there are nice ones but thn there are the others who are hardcore and really challenge you completely. Be prepared to really study and complete your work (in a timely manner). There's no one to make you do anything and

Christy

Take some time during your summers to really think about what you would like to do as a profession. Shadow people in at least 3 different professions to help with understanding their day to day lives. Understand the money involved in the professions that you are interested in to better understand the life you would create for yourself. And dont forget to connect with your professors and advisors to help you build your network . Also, take a course on understanding your money. Without that, no profession can warrant you a monetarily successful life. With regard to school, be sure to meet with each professor one on one at the start of each term. Developing a relationship with them can really help you to staty engaged and they will remember you better. Stay true to your morals and values; those that respect that are meant to be your friends, those that do not honor that are not. Hang around people that challenge you to be a better person, that make you feel good and can be honest with you to help keep you on track.

Barry

If I went back to talk to my High school self, I would tell myself not to talk 18 credit hours my first semester, it was one class to many. I dropped the class and passed all my others. This semester I am taking the class over the remove the W on my transcript. Since I am taking 16 credit hours this semester, which is what I would tell myself do to, I now believe I will succede where I previously meet a challenge. The second thing I would tell myself would be that I need to get more involved on campus, this semester I was involved in one club. This left me alone when I was on campus, because I didn't know anyone. Being a commuter it is very difficult to meet students on campus outside of my classes, most of which are the university core requirements. The few students I have met are great friends and have helped me with studing, learning and adjusting to college life. The final thing I would tell myself is which of my text books I didn't need to buy as some of them weren't used during the semester.

Braelyn

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself one piece of important advice. I would like to tell myself that what others think of me is not the most important thing in life. When I was in high school, I spent the majority of my time attempting to please others and fit in. Now that I am in college and have made the difficult transition from the comfort of my home, I know that it is not necessary to constantly compare myself to others and feel disappointed in myself. I know that there are more important things such as achieving good grades and finding friends who accept me for who I am. I am much more aware of what is important in life now, and I wish I had the opportunity to tell my high school self these things.

Caleb

Alright Caleb listen. High came easy to you and you are going to think college is going to be the same. You aren't going to need to study, you will be able to do things last minute, and you'll still receive A's. You are completely wrong. Learn to study and start assignments earlier. It will help you out more than you know in college. Just follow my instructions and college is going to be a breeze.

Morgan, you're going to love Ball State. Although your situation with basketball won't work out, you will still be making the right decision. You will meet some awesome people, and you will get an internship for the summer of 2015 within your first two months on campus. One downside to BSU is that Muncie doesn't have a whole lot to do outside of going to parties. Make sure to stay true to who you were raised to be and you'll be fine. Before coming to college, write out a plan as far as eating and working out, because once you get to school you'll set the new record for fastest time to ever gain the freshman fifteen if you don't have a plan. Also, make a plan to do some daily devotionals on your own, because finding a church you like is not as easy as you think. The best advice I can give you is to go to the earliest orientation offered, because if you go to the last one, you'll end up with an 8 AM class every day of the week, and it will absolutely suck. Good luck buddy.

Hunter

Apply for scholarships. Don't think that you're going to be okay with taking out a student loan because you won't be. You'll realize when it comes closer to time that you can't afford to be paying off a student loan after college when you haven't gotten into a well paying career. Make the most of this year, though. Spend as much time with your friends as you can because, once you move, you won't be able to see them again for a very long time. Make memories with your friends. Always talk to them and always be there for them because they are your support system.

Fariraishe

If I could go back in time, I would tell high school senior me to start applying for scholarships before senior year starts. I would tell her that being accepted to college doesn't mean anything if you cannot afford it. What college you go to doesn't matter because it's who graduates that matters. I would tell her that your dream college costs way too much, so you should probably settle for a less expensive college. Going to your dream college is not worth the debt you'll be in because of student loans. I would tell her that your SAT and ACT scores are more important than the four years you spent in high school. That's right, those four hour tests decide what the future holds for you. I would remind her to apply for scholarships again and again because her good grades would not get her as far as she wants to go. I would tell her that scholarships are harder to find during the summer before college starts. I would tell her that college life stresses you out months before it begins, so be ready.

Dear high school self, Stop for a moment and listen. Step back, take a deep breath and just relax. Your education is incredibly important, but you won't learn all you need to learn from classes alone. Get involved, embrace the discomfort of newness, and open yourself up to the experiences in front of you. You don't have to get everything right or be on top of your game all the time. Other students are just as smart as you, if not smarter. You don't have to be the best. Give yourself space to figure out what is meaningful to you and pursue that in everything. Allow people to know you and in turn take the time to know them. College--the classes, the people, the opportunities--is going to change your life.

I would definitely tell myself not to worry about anything because everyone around me is so excited to see me transition from high school to college and all of the current and former students are so welcoming. I worry so much about money, but the counselors and professors are so encouraging. College actually doesn't suck and it's so much fun to slowly transform myself into a better student through my experiences. I would tell my high school senior self that I need to quit worrying about financial things, and just have fun and enjoy the college experience, because everything will be alright.

I would advise myself to study more then I did and put an emphesis on going to class.

Erick

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would telll myself to take as many honors and AP classes as possible because the credit hours are very helpful. Credits that transfer from high school are beneficial and put you ahead of the game. Also, read as much as possible because in order to succeed in college, you need to read the chapters on the material assigned. Manage your time well because sometimes it feels like the day has gone by fast, so just manage your time wisely. Make friends who are as passionate as you in their area of study. Get to know teachers because they will help you in the future. If your not a morning person, plan your schedule accordingly. Try to get involved by joining clubs and volunteering.

I would tell myself to never forget why you want to go to school, and never surrender. You find the right college with the right program and you fight for it. No one is going to make you happy except yourself. If you want to be an astronaut or an archaeologist there is nobody telling you you can't do it except yourself. Never settle, and reach for your dreams. This is your life and your happiness and don't wait until you are in your mid twenties to continue your education, don't get stuck in a rut when you could do so much more. Its not about the money its about what makes you happy in the long run, and always remember to love yourself even when you make a mistake. "What we do in life... echoes in eternity."-Maximus (Gladiator).

If I were to go back in time and give myself advise about the college transition, I would tell myself to just calm down. When I left for college back in August, I found myself worrying way too much about what was going to happen in the next year. I was scared to leave home because of the security of my home and my parents. I was also worried about being alone and having no friends. When I got here to Ball State all the fears I had on the drive to campus left my mind. Ball State had many programs and activities the first week of school that I completely forgot about how worried I was leaving home for the first time in my life. The advice I would give my past self would be to stop worrying about the future, everything is going to be fine, and you are really going to enjoy your new life.

Kristie

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior; I would tell my self to get involved in campus activities. I would tell myself to talk to my instructors if I am struggling in a class because I am paying for the classes. I would tell myself to carefully consider my major to make sure I choose something that I am passionate about and will enjoy doing as a career. Lastly, I would tell myself to study hard and enjoy the experience because it goes by fast.

Care. Care about your education, and by this I do not mean your grades. Yes, grades are important and they should be cared about, but there are far more pressing issues that take precedence. Care about what you are learning. Care about your intellect and how it is being formed. You are spending thousands of dollars and years of your life for this education; make sure you actually get one. Care about the contents of every class, and care about the process of learning. Find something, anything, that grasps hold of your interest in each class, and invest in it. If you truly care about expanding and strengthening your mind and learning as much as you can from each class, the grades will surely follow. Care about your relationships with peers, professors, coworkers, and those you randomly encounter. These relationships will be life-altering. Learn how to relate to others and how to love them. If you do not care, I can assure you, that this will be one of the greatest wastes of your time, money, and energy you can possibly commit. If you do care though, no matter what happens, it will all be worth it.

Alexandrea

This is the first step to the rest of your life so make sure you think about what you want as a life or career. Make sure you do your research and find what school has the career path that you are interested in, do not limit yourself to location. The most important thing about school is finding the funds to pay for school, take the time to apply for as many scholarships as possible. Too much money is not a bad thing because you will need. Once you have made your decision on where you would like to go make sure that education is the most important thing. The freedom will be nice but make sure you make smart decisions. You are now responsible for yourself, no one is holding your hand so make sure you think all your decisions through.

I would tell myself that the world, and things in it, arean't above my head. The things that seem large and powering were built by normal people, just like me. That means that anything is within my reach, and nothing is ever too big for me in life. I've gone down some paths where I justified my actions as being 'realistic'. I have come to see that being realistic is the quickest way to mediocrity. I would let my high school self know to aim a little higher, not to be afraid of failure, and see just how capable I am of reaching further than I could've ever imagined. I'm much more able than my high school self could've imagined.

For the love of everything, when you take finance in your freshman fall semester, appeal the grade you get on that 2-week project because it was a very unfair grade the teacher gave you because she changed the criteria for it after you had already turned it in. If you don't you will lose your scholarship and be at serious risk of not being able to afford the out-of-state costs. Then you'll end up doing what I am doing right now and spend hours looking for scholarships that you are actually eligible for.

I would tell myself to not be as nervous as I was when I started. Coming to college was one of the best things I could do at that point of my life. Sure, leaving all of your friends can seem scary, but the ones who truly care will still be with you and everytime you go home you will be greeted with open arms and caring faces. Go into college with an open mind and an open heart and make the best of it.

The advice I would give my high school self would be to take advantage of Advance Placement classes that would count towards my introductory math and english college courses. I would tell myself to take dual credit courses in high school that would have completed my college humanities and electives course work, so that by the time I graduated from high school, I'd already be an incoming college sophomore. This would have saved me two years of money. Next, I would have chosen to go straight into the nursing program instead of becoming a pre-med student. Being a pre-med student caused me to fall out of love with the healthcare field and procrastinate on finishing my college education, due to my enrolling in cosmetology practitioner and instructor courses, which I never used once I graduated and got licensed. I also would have told my high school self to ditch the insecure boyfriend who was always encouraging me to quit school and become his housewife because he didn't like the idea of a woman he was with, having more education than him, therefore making more money than he would have been capable of making.

Arthur

Life is going to get tougher. Save all the money you can and don’t spend as much as you did on other people. It defiantly was worth the wait to get together with girls, but have fun where you can find it. Your dad is going to be a fink, so don’t trust him. College is going to be difficult but you can manage it. Take advantage of the writing lab and tutoring where and when you can get it. Save yourself the trouble and don’t take online courses or that geology class. Defiantly don’t take that class with professor Sturgis. Ask around before you take classes and find out about the professors. Finally and above all don’t do anything stupid, but if you have to make sure you have fun while you are doing it.

College is a chance to discover yourself; the real you, not the person your high school peers molded you to be. Keep in touch with the friends who stood by you through thick and thin, but don't rely on those friendships alone or you won't be able to grow as an individual. Experiment with your style, explore your interests, expect to go through some changes and accept those changes; because in the end, each and every one of them will matter to the person you will become. While discovering yourself is part of going to college, it is not the most important part. Make sure that as you are taking everything in you don't forget the reason you are attending college in the first place--to expand your knowledge. In college, you are responsible for your own education--nobody forces you to go to class or to pay attention during class--and ultimately how prepared you are for a career. Losing perspective of the importance of education will leave you less prepared for your career than others--and you'll have to repay your student loans no matter what job you obtain. Make education your first priority.

You only get one chance to be honest. After that, you are either hiding something or lying. So instead of waiting until more people get hurt, and until you become submerged in anger, sadness, and stress, lose your pride and just fess up. It will make the future less painful.

Dear Me, Find out what you believe in, what is important to you, and what you want your life to be like in ten years. When you get to college these decisions will be forced on you, if you don't already have an answer, you may choose the wrong one. College is about becoming who you want to be, and to become that person you need to have an idea of who that is Good luck, Me.

Riley

To my high school senior self i would have to steal an old proverb and say, "It is always darkest before the dawn". High school may make education seem rough and something you don't want to pursue further but college will make all the difference. You'll find your passion, your friends and everything you were meant to do in life. You'll come to realize your true calling for wildlife and the natural world. High school doesn't prepare you for these things, only "general education" but you need to get passed these math and history classes in order to find your light. Also, good grades and a good GPA may not sound very important right now. But look into the future and you'll see it can help you get into the college and major you want. Good grades could have aided you in going to the true college of your dreams, University of Boulder, Colorado, by being granted a scholarship to help pay for out of state tuition. Now it will be indefinitely more difficult, but never forget to pursue your dreams!

I wish I could sit down and talk to my high school self. There would be so much to tell her, and not only about academic related things, but social and emotional things, as well. At the time, her, rather, our mother was going through chemotherapy for breast cancer, and we were about to undergo a major spinal surgery. My high school self didn't know how to handle everything. At the time, she didn't know that she could take a year off of school to figure out what she wanted, and she didn't know that she could declare an "Undecided" major, and it would be okay. If I could go back in time and leave some advice for that high school self, I would say that everything will be alright. No one will blame you for having an undecided major in your first year, and it wouldn't be a completely bad thing to take a year off to expand your mind and figure out what you want. I was burned out in that senior year, and I wish I would have had the insight to stop and breathe.

If I could go back and have a conversation with my high-school-senior-self, I would tell myself to relax and enjoy the ride. There are many things throughout your senior year in high school that seem to be overwhelming, discerning and tempting. The best advice I can give is to stay on top of things. Do not procrastinate because all it does it hurt you in the long run and allow for more unwanted and avoidable stress. High school is supposed to be some of the best years of your life. Remember to keep your goals, values, and joys first in your life and you will succeed. We all have to have a goal or dream to work towards, and allow it to be altered to where we are at in life. It is that goal/dream that keeps you going and keeps you on the right path when those discerning and tempting things threaten to get in the way. As a high school senior, you have the world at your feet and the keys to succeed at your fingertips. Take advantage of the tools you are given and remember to occasionally stop and enjoy yourself.

Breona

These years are going to fly by so this is no time to be shy and insecure. Go out there are join the swing dance club or the school orchestra. Look into spending times with your friends but keep the balance leaning towards your school work. You will make some of the most amazing friends and you will grow as an individual, making this some of the best years in your life. Do your best to become friends with your professors because they will be great tools for you to further your education and career while here. Most of all, remember that this is the pathway to your brighter future so work hard to play hard later.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd tell myself to focus on my future in college more then anything. I'd make sure to tell myself to fill out the scholarships that my mother encourged me to fill out as a senior so my parents wouldn't be under the stress that are now trying to figure out how to pay for my college.

Kasey

Transitioning to college life is difficult. Never turn down the opportunity to seek help if you struggle adjusting, especially in an emotional sense. Depression is common and is a real threat to your health and your grades. Ask for help--from your friends, the university, your parents, the professors. Go to study sessions. Ask your professors questions. Do not try to stand alone. College should be fun, and it should intellectually challenge you. But it should never crush you.

alison

Don't care what other people think of you. Try your hardest and make every second count. Be outgoing and don't allow one person to bring you down. Ask questions and don't stop asking until you get an answer. Teachers and professors alike enjoy an engaged student. So, don't hold back anymore and get the answers you desperately need and want.

Well, first off I'd tell my senior-self that senioritious is real. Secondly I'd tell her test scores and homework still count and to come in to class, colleges apreciate grades as well as attendence. For her first day of college, I'd advise her to take it easy that first week and make friends fast. That first week is basically establishing your place in the "college food chain". The weak minded are the like prey and the leaders are dominant, and in a sense, the predators. Don't be weak minded and don't just "come out of your shell" Break out of your horizons and explore new worlds, (or at least the other side of this one), Study abroad you know its your dream, so go after it and do not shy away from an experience like England or Australia. Study hard and set your pride aside when you need accademic help. Use that rec room and gym that is paid for in tuition/fees and keep off the all-you-can-eat tables. Thats all, oh and Good luck Victoria your going to do great in college.

Lori

While family responsibilities are important, it is ok to put your education first. You are stronger than you realize and you can do anything that you set your mind to. Don't doubt your abilities and don't let others sway your decisions, no matter who they are. Have faith in what you can do because at the end of the day, all that really matters is that, you do know what is best for you. Don't look back because it's a waste of time. Move forward and be secure in the knowledge that through faith in God all things are possible. Times may have been difficult but you have always been able to conquer any challenge. Why should this be any different? Put on your boxing gloves and get ready to fight for what is yours. a great education and a chance at a better life.

Raven

Two suitcases and a smile. This is all I brought with me on the plane to Indiana. The four hour flight from Maryland left me plenty of time to wonder and think. Going into my freshman year there were plenty of things that were different about me. If I could go back the first thing I would say to myself is "you don't have to be the same person you were in high school, as a matter of fact you won't be." No matter how hard I tried I was never be captain of the cheer squad again . Those days were over. In college, those black and white personas disappear and you will find that you as a person and everyone else has more to offer than a label. I would tell myself to be comfortable in my own skin. This is college and the friends you make have alot in common with you. Your options for friends are not limited, explore all of them. I would tell myself that just because she is your roommate does not mean she has to be your only friend. Ultimately, I would have reminded myself to pull out the smile more.

Brittaney

I would have told myself to work harder instead of lazing off ! Even though i was told repeatidly that college was a whole new ball game i had to experiance it to know what they meant. Also, I would have told myslef to take some draftmanship classes!

I have two words for myself, time management. I also beleive in developing excellent study habits. Just reading through some key terms to prepare for a collegiate level test isn't going to cut it. I would also tell myself to take more AP classes, knock down some credits while there cheap. Did I mention apply for as many scholarships as you can get your hands on? College is exspensive ;)

I would have to say, consider a college closer to home. Even though Ball State is an excellent school, it is extremely hard being hours away from my friends and family. Also, be more prepared to meet a variety of new and exciting people.

If I could go back in time I would say Rebecca, take more time to do your homework and do better on tests. When you take tests, you need to master all information and not just enough to pass the test or the class. You also need to take the ACT and SAT because if you do not you will have to wait to get into a four year until you turn twenty-one. If you wait until you are twenty-one, it will put you behind. Applying for scholarships is also a smart idea, even if you have financial support for now scholarships will help financially. Applying for scholarships might seem like a waste of time, but there might come a time when you may need the added financial help. It is also important to obtain additional copies of transcripts to aid in requesting scholarships. Keeping all these documents relating to scholarships, and school neat and in a folder or binder is imperative. It is also important to keep a positive attitude.

If I could go back in back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to look for every opportunity I could to find resources for my career path. The advice I would give myself would also be to work as hard as I could in order to keep the same disciplines as I moved into college classes. I would also tell myself to use my high school teachers as resources for information on how to adjust well to college classes and the environment of a college campus. The greatest advice I feel would be to tell myself to never back down from challenges that might arise from a new environment and to keep my work ethic and motivation aimed towards achieving my goals.

Morganne

If I would go back to my high school senior self I would say take the transition more seriously. It really is a big deal and a huge change. I would tell myself to study harder and be more outgoing. The first semester is really rough but you'll make it through. Your roommate is going to be a pain, but make the best of it because your only living with her for a year.

Camille

The future really is brighter. At this time the word "College" alone scares you. There are worries of all kinds that make you cringe; such as where to go, how to get started, all the tests and materials needed to get you in, the students, the teachers, how big it is, will you fit in. It can all be very overwhelming indeed, yet you don't have to fear. They say college opens all the doors and is a window of opportunities to which I agree that whoever said that is exactly right. You have no idea what good things lie so soon in your future. The hardest and scariest part of it all is just registering. After that you are open to all the many options of classes, and times to choose from as well as easy to get materials and easy, close to home tests that you can for sure accomplish without fear. The future is brighter indeed, just wait.

If I went back in time, I would have one improtant thing that I would want to tell myself as a high school senior. I would tell myself to look more into student activities and to become involved. I would make sure that the senior me researched activities that sounded interesting to me and to join them.

BriAnna

BriAnna, time is something that can never be given back to you, so use it wisely. It is so easy to procrastinate and wait until the last minute to do things, but take advantage of your time and wisdom and use it for its best. There are so many different opportunites out there to better your awareness when you don't understand things. There are so many people that are willing to teach you what it is that you need to know to be successful. However, if you don't take advantage of the opportunites, if you don't believe that the time that you have can be too easily wasted, if you don't put your knowledge with experience to transform it into wisdom, then God's blessing to you of intelligence and availability can and will go to waste. So use your time wisely, stop procrastinating, take advantage of every great opportunity that is given to you, and oh yeah, make sure you GO TO BALL STATE!

Daison

Knowing what I know now, I would go back in time and tell myself to work a little harder. The nights well I was too tired to study and went to sleep, I would tell myself to stay awake a little longer. Along with studying harder, I believe if I had worked harder I could have received other scholarships. This would not cause me to be financially struggling now and have to take out a bunch of private loans. I would also tell myself get more involved in clubs, honors programs, and community service, because a lot of the scholarships applications I have searched for encourage and include experiences in community service. The last thing I would tell myself is to work hard on applying for scholarships. The majority of the time I would apply for one scholarship and work hard on that one only. Knowing this information I know that my experiences in college would be more stress free.