New York, NY
Barnard College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Barnard College

Kirby

I love Barnard. The courses are rigorous, the professors are involved, and the friendships are lifelong. If you want to do a pre-professional program, this isn't the school for you. If you want a broad range of critical thinking skills and exposure to a number of interesting courses, this could be the right fit. It's not perfect, but there's a sense of community here that is less common in city schools. We have fun traditions, a lot of Barnard pride, and a strongly held belief that women can accomplish anything. It's a women's college, but you also take Columbia classes and Columbia students take Barnard classes (and you live in NYC), so I don't feel isolated or overwhelmed by estrogen. People are, in my experience, kind, passionate, and super driven and successful. Occasionally it gets a bit too politically heated--it's a pretty liberal campus, and sometimes students are outrageously politically correct to the point of policing their peers--but not everyone is so outspoken and extreme. Most people are respectful and thoughtful and willing to discuss (or not, if you don't want to talk). Overall, I'm really glad I chose Barnard.

Merc
Barnard is awesome

I made the best decision of my life going to Barnard. You won't regret it!

Barnard is awesome

I made the best decision of my life going to Barnard. You won't regret it!

zhiyong
barnard

good

barnard

good

Nergiz
Girl

NYC is amazing

Girl

NYC is amazing

Barnard is known to have the best of both worlds: a small school with a vibrant campus life right at an Ivy league univserity, and being in the setting of New York City with access to all its resources.

I honestly can't think of a bad thing! The meal plans didn't really work for me and my schedule which was frustrating.

The transition from high school to college is incredibly stressful especially socially. I spent a lot of time my first few weeks of college worring if the people I met really liked me or not, rather than enjoying my new friendships. One thing that really helped me was joining my school's ultimate frisbee team. It provided me with an outlet to relieve stress and anxiety and helped me form true relationships. I would advise high school seniors to continue the extra curricular activities they enjoyed in high school, like I did with frisbee, in college. These activities provide familiar ground but also oppurtunities for new experiences.

My school provides a loving and cooparative educational environment while also giving access to a rigorous and competitive educational environment at Columbia University. This mixture allows students to seriously challenge themselves academically while also providing a saftey net.

Barnard is a highly rigorous all womens institution. Creative, passionate and high achieving women with open minds should definitely apply.

Signe

An academically serious, engaged student who enjoys the urban rewards of life in New York!

It tends to be stressful and pressured. Courses at both Columbia and Barnard require a great deal of preparation and work.

Olivia

I guess that the biggest stereotype about Barnard women is that we are all somewhat wealthy, Jewish, don't deserve to be a part of the Columbia community, and/or are extremely liberal about sex and sexuality. While there definitely is a strong contingent of the opulent 1%, most of the people I know are on some type of financial aid and/or are working. I am Jewish, Barnard is one of the most "Jewish" schools in the country (there is a ridiculous proportion of Jewish women at Barnard), and the Barnard/Columbia Hillel definitely has a strong presence on campus. While Barnard is more "Jewish" than your average school, it's dual degree program with the Jewish Theological Seminary, location in the largest city in the country, and relationship with Columbia University make it seem like the perfect place to be if you are Jewish. That being said, other ethnic and religious groups do have a presence on campus, and there are groups from almost every background at either Barnard or Columbia. The "unintelligent" stereotype is probably the least true out of all of them, and you would only hear that one thrown anonymously at Barnard students on blogs. Barnard women, overall, have worked to get to where they are. I have met some of the most intelligent people I've ever met in my life at Barnard, and I have also met some people who just didn't really seem to want to get involved in academics. That seems to be the case with most colleges, so I've never held this against Barnard or Columbia. The "sexually active" stereotype is partially true; there are plenty of people on campus who are open about their sexuality, but it isn't the whole community, and it's definitely handled tastefully. Barnard women aren't, as any stereotype of a women's college would say, all lesbians. There are many people in the LGBTQA community, and they have an extremely important and meaningful place in the campus culture, as the community does on any campus. One of the main reasons why I'd say that the stereotype about sexual activity persists is because of the amazing health services we have at Barnard and the general push for knowledge about sex and sexuality. It is easy to go to Health Services for morning after pill, if you so need them, or to fill a birth control prescription. It is also easy to get condoms (while not as easy to get other forms of contraceptive, especially if you aren't having heterosexual intercourse). Barnard is fairly open and diverse, but not in an extreme way. It is probably one of the more, relatively, conservative women's colleges.

kate

This is so far from true! Barnard students are awesome, end of story. Barnard is one of the most selective schools in the country. We go to Barnard because we enjoy having a smaller community that fosters leadership and personal development. We love our advising system and the personal care we get within the larger context of the University (Columbia) as a whole! A lot of my Columbia friends are jealous of all the awesome programs Barnard has!

Barnard College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.