Bryn Mawr, PA
Bryn Mawr College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bryn Mawr College

I would change the apathy towards social justice issues on campus.

I would change the apathy towards social justice issues on campus.

I believe that a racial minority student from a racially and culturally diverse background or school setting would feel out of place at Bryn Mawr because it is a predominantly White institution.

No, they are not. Bryn Mawr students are politically diverse and express diverse sexualities.

At Bryn Mawr, students rarely have intellectual conversations outside of class. Also, at Bryn Mawr students are encouraged to compete with themselves, rather than with others.

Bryn Mawr is big on traditions; however, I wish there was more enthusiasm for other social activities on campus.

Some stereotypes about Bryn Mawr students are that we are all lesbians and/or militant feminists because of the fact that Bryn Mawr is an all women's college.

Aarthi

Bryn Mawr is a great place, but prospective students should know that the community is unique and not for everyone. People often overlook basic information about the college and complain about it later. For example...I often find myself grumbling about the lack of boys on campus or at social events, before remembering I'm at a women's college. It sounds petty and obvious, but it's easy to forget silly facts in a stressful academic environment. On the same note, it's not uncommon to hear people complaining about seeing the same faces every day (yes, it's a small campus!) or about the general PMS that strikes the student population during particularly stressful times. It's important to remember that Bryn Mawr is designed for women to grow into free-thinking, socially conscious, and scholastically well-rounded individuals. I try to focus on these ideas, and I find I don't actually have anything substantive to complain about.

I was engaged in a two-hour long debate about the social merit and detriment of Sex and the City. This didn't happen in a classroom...I was sitting on the floor of my dorm, eating chocolate, and arguing fiercely with my hallmates. That's Bryn Mawr. Intense discussions about everything and anything are spontaneous. Fights about polarizing issues are common. Political conversation is normal conversation. I love Bryn Mawr for these reasons. My friends and peers are willing to extract meaning from topics both mundane and important, and I respect and enjoy their company with this in mind.

For the most part, the negative stereotypes are untrue! Sure, Bryn Mawr has its share of lesbians, feminists, and nerds, but they're all really cool! We're actually very normal, college students who just happen to be especially academically motivated and socially tolerant.

Wow. I often feel like I've had the wind knocked out of me after a particularly rough exam or a singularly intense class. Bryn Mawr is a tough place to navigate academically. Students should be prepared to work their asses off, to listen, with jaws agape, to their brilliant professors, and to take cat naps in classes that are naturally dull. The college is great in this way: women get a feel for the highs and lows of the academia while learning to be organized and self-disciplined. One of the most unique things about Bryn Mawr is that grades are not discussed openly. On one hand, this is a great system; students are able to concentrate without worrying about the opinions of their peers. However, this set-up forces women to push themselves harder and to prove their abilities to their inner-critics.

I'm not going to lie: I really wish Bryn Mawr parties were better. We have one or two really fun times during the year, but you need to Swat or Haverford for the more generic college gatherings.

I've heard it all: Bryn Mawr women are militant lesbians, bra-burning feminists, anti-male activists, bookish introverts. On the plus side, I've been told that I'm hot for going to a women's college, or that Bryn Mawr women are sexy because they're independent and motivated.

Alia

Nothing in particular I like about the school. The admin is pretty unaccomodating except for a few people. Theres absolutely NO college town. Its not that easy to go to Philadelphia since its pretty expensive for a college student- $8 round trip. There are a lot of race issues on campus. People are definitely not as open minded as they may pretend. SGA is a farce and is an exclusive club. People are very unaccepting of different religions and beliefs. I am appalled by how little people know about the world. Very ignorant. The biggest recent controversy was not letting a student run for SGA president because of non-existent reasons that the current SGA made up (the real reason is because she was of a very contested and debated faith). There are scary traditions that one should be weary of. Life is very mundane and secluded in that school- Its horrible if you are very outgoing.

Very very cliquey. Everyone has their own groups so it gets very suffocating. People are generally very bored on weekends if you stay on campus. Students have no social life. People are very gossip-y. the school is way too small for its own good- everyone knows everyone and its hard to avoid people you hate.

Desperation one is for some people. Overworking is true. The no social life aspect is very true. Diversity may be there, but most people do not have diverse ways of thinking

Too much work most of the time... but within the classroom, no one asks any questions. I just dont understand but everyone is just so accepting and no one thinks critically. Its such a linear learning process. No one probes deeper into things

None. There is absolutely nothing to do in the surrounding town. Go to haverford but haverford parties are horrible and swat is too far. And if you go, you automatically get grouped into the stereotype of desperate bmc girls going to haverford to meet guys.

Desperate, overworked, boring, no social life, diverse,

Louisa

After two years, Bryn Mawr has me entirely torn. On one hand, I feel that the academics are challenging and rewarding, and that I have had the opportunity to meet a number of bright, dynamic, interesting people in my peer group. However, I dislike the competitive nature of the school (Despite whatever the literature says about our honor code, etc eliminating competition, it seems like everyone is pushing for the best grade, and even to seem as if they are under the most pressure), and I have found that a great number of my peers, while highly intelligent and good-natured, are rather immature and closed-minded. The social opportunities are also lacking; I've often told friends at home that I feel that I am not having the normal college experience, and I mean that in a negative sense.

For a school with such an emphasis on diversity, we are not all that diverse. There is a bit of latent racism that has reared its extremely ugly head in the last couple of years. The LGBT community is very vocal and active, but can be less than welcoming to those who do not consider themselves part of that community. I have heard that it is difficult to be religious on campus. Most of the students seem to be from the east coast of the US, though there are a large number who come from elsewhere. Also, most of the students seem to be from mid-to-upper middle class and wealthy backgrounds, which can be very strange for students from other backgrounds (My family is very mid-middle class, and the majority of my friends from my hometown are lower-middle class and working-class; it's weird to be with people who can afford to order-in food most nights of the week, for example).

The atmosphere of the school tends to coddle people; I do not feel that I've met many people who are really growing up here (In other words, I know a lot of girls, but not many women). I've found a small group of very interesting, wonderful people, and the academics are, by and large, excellent; these are the only things that have kept me from transferring. This seems to be a common sentiment here, actually, despite the reports I keep hearing of people professing their overwhelming adoration for the school.

There is a very visible queer presence on campus, but I doubt that the majority of the students are gay (I have to add that there would be nothing wrong with it if it were actually the case). As far as the other major stereotype, Bryn Mawr can be very high stress. However, the reality is more that people tend to talk a lot about the amount of work they have, thus giving the appearance that work is all we do, which is untrue.

There are many excellent, eccentric professors, and many fall all over themselves to be available whenever we need/want them. I feel that I have been able to explore all of my areas of interest (Though many of my friends in the sciences do not feel this way). The academics are definitely geared more toward learning for its own sake; almost everyone I know seems to want to go to grad school right after they finish here, and many of them want to eventually go into academia as a career. Though I really believe that learning for its own sake is very valuable, I have found that it is not really the right atmosphere for someone who does not want to stay within academia for an extended period.

There are not a lot of parties on campus. Philadelphia is right here, but many people do not take advantage of it. Haverford offers free concerts to Haverford and Bryn Mawr students, which are excellent and draw some big names. As for the dating scene: Dating is pretty normal for my friends who are interested in women. However, I've found that a majority of my friends who are interested in men simply do not want to date. I am a woman interested in men (and dating), and I've found it nearly impossible to meet men. There are just too few within the tri-co (Bryn Mawr/Haverford/Swarthmore). Frankly, it sucks.

The vast majority of the students are lesbians, the school is a high-stress pressure cooker/is all work and no play.

Quinn

The academics here are wonderful, and the campus is unbelievably gorgeous, especially in the spring. There's very little partying, but for the few parties there are, like May Day, the whole campus usually turns out. The fact that there are no sororities masks the fact that Bryn Mawr is one giant sorority (crossed with a pagan cult), including all the silly trials required for "joining" (Lantern Night, Hell Week). The traditions here are very strong. There's a good community feeling and even if you don't know everyone personally, it's pretty easy to recognize faces. Bryn Mawr as a town is pretty nice. There's a grocery store, a Borders, and an artsy theater. Unfortunately many of the restaurants are pretty expensive, but it's easy to take the train to Philly or any of the other suburbs, so you can pretty much find anything you could possibly want.

Bryn Mawr's a mostly liberal campus. There have been some racial snafus in the past couple of years, and the college responded by beginning a pilot Social Justice program. There's a range of socio-economic groups on campus, but in my experience it's not a big deal; I had a roommate who'd never worked a vacuum because she had a live-in housekeeper, and another who, like me, had worked AS a housekeeper, and we all get along just fine. A significant number of students do work study, so it's far from unusual. It's not a terribly religious campus, but with its Quaker past, it never had any sort of strong institutionalized religious presence to begin with. The LGBT community is prominant and supportive but not exclusive or overbearing. It's not a particularly slouchy campus, but it's not too dressy-dressy either; most mawrtyrs are more interested in being taken seriously as intellectuals than being pretty pretty princesses. Because we're all women, friends do tend to stick together, but that doesn't mean that social groups are rigid or unwelcoming.

The intensity of the curriculum and the students and profs themselves is not for everyone, but I love it.

While not the most socially active college students, mawrtyrs do indeed have a social life. And as most are assertive, independant women, they get along just fine in the Real World as well. As for being man-starved: there is remarkably little griping about the lack of men. In fact, there isn't really a lack of men to begin with; the bi-co is so integrated that nearly all classes are co-ed to some extent. My roommate this summer is a guy and I didn't have to go on an adventure quest to find him; we met in class. There are plenty of Haverboys etc. wandering around the greater Philadelphia area for those who want to date men, although a good many mawrtyrs are too busy to bother. Yes. There is a lesbian community. It's not a big deal.

Bryn Mawr is just small enough that you really get to know your professors. That does make it very difficult to sneak in late or shirk, but few mawrtyrs would do that anyway. Most of the students here are very serious about their work--which there is a lot of. It's not unmanageable, but it requires some very serious time management. "Mawrtyr" isn't just a cute epithet; a good deal of students seem to really enjoy the strain and pressure of the workload, since the reward is that it forces you to become a better, more intense intellectual. The professors are brilliant overall and usually very approachable and accessible. Mawtyrs are very personally competitive. It's against the honor code to talk about grades, and after freshman year most students don't even suffer from the impulse to do so; you stop caring. That doesn't mean mawtyrs themselves aren't very concerned about their GPAs, though. Everyone I know is a very driven, hardworking intellectual.

To be quite honest, I went to the doctor one winter break because I was having constant stomachaches. My roommate had the same problem. She told me it was just stress, and jokingly asked if my friends and I sat around having Tums parties. I told her yes, and it was true. I have honestly had weekly study parties with my friends where the only thing imbibed was coffee and Tums. It's not exactly a roaring social scene, but it's nice to have so much support when you're out of your mind with work.

Socially awkward. Man-starved or a lesbian.

Maggie

The best thing about Bryn Mawr has to be either the campus in the springtime -- all the blossoming trees, it's beautiful -- or Hell Week, which is a real vibrant tradition, or the English House -- it's so cute and, well, perfect. I spend most of my time on campus writing and studying in either the library, campus center, English House or in Thomas Great Hall. With friends, I take walks around campus, watch movies in the dorm common rooms and hang out at Uncommon Grounds. I don't hang out in the town of Bryn Mawr very much because, it isn't much of a college town. But with the train to Philadelphia a less than five minute walk away and other campuses only a shuttle ride away, it doesn't really matter. Plus, there is a bookstore and a few grocery stores and a library and three sushi restaurants within walking distance. My big complaint about Bryn Mawr is probably that it feels too small and confining sometimes. Sometimes it feels like you've met everybody and are still not satisfied. But it's a small price to pay for such a caring faculty -- they know your name and treat you like an individual, but this is only possible because of the size of the school. I guess you can tell that I have some Bryn Mawr pride. It's an amazing institution. I love the faculty and the courses. I love the buildings and the traditions. I think that most Bryn Mawr women feel this way. My only warning is that the school is really small. And even though women come from all over the world, their isn't that much diversity in personalities and points of view.

At Bryn Mawr, we have artsy women. We have more athletic women. We have politically passionate women. We have the fashionable girls. We have the capies. But these groups are actually pretty permeable. You can be part of different groups and have friends in different groups. But if I had to categorize Bryn Mawr, that's how I'd do it. There are a lot of women with money who attend Bryn Mawr. Bryn Mawr is on the Philadelphia Main Line and is not a cheap school. It sometime feels like a school of women who attended prep high schools and have vacation houses in the Hamptons or something. But there are the girls who work to get to Bryn Mawr. They take multiple jobs during the summer and try not to spend too much money during the school year. But I think, socially and academically, these women are on pretty much the same plane and are pretty hard to tell apart. Once you get to Bryn Mawr, your personal money doesn't really matter anymore. At Bryn Mawr we have many international students, though our student population is mainly composed of white Americans. We are really LGBT supportive and are predominantly politically left.

Um...I don't think that I can type anymore.

Confession: sometimes I don't shave my legs in the winter time, but usually they're shaved and I think this represents a lot of the campus. Plus, who cares if your legs aren't shaved anyway? If you've noticed, lesbians and boy-crazed are opposites, so I think that they kind of cancel each other out and don't need more of an explanation.

The academics at Bryn Mawr are amazing. The professors know all our names. The largest class I had was an Anthropology class with maybe 40 students. It was a lecture with powerpoints and almost every day I'd end up falling asleep. My professor would always say my name to wake me up. My favorite class was a creative writing fiction class that I took in my freshman year. The professor was really intelligent and invested in our class and in return all the students took the class really seriously, yet still had fun and learned a lot, we all wrote great work and had really amazing class discussions. Outside of class, students can have intellectual discussions, but, like any school, this doesn't apply to everyone. I think that students don't really talk about what they've learned in their classes, though. And I think this is because of the honor code. At Bryn Mawr you aren't supposed to be competitive and discuss grades (though you can if both parties agree to, though this is slightly awkward). And I think this taboo on grades kind of translates to class material as well. I've been approved to do a Creative Writing Independent Major. There is currently only one other Creative Writing major in the school. So I guess you'd have to admit that our department is really small. But our faculty advisors -- Karl Kirchwey and Dan Torday -- are excellent. They seem to really care about our work and our growth as writers. Outside of class, I don't spend too much time with professors. I've been to professors' houses and had barbecues and such, but this is a little rare. Bryn Mawr's academic requirements aren't that bad. I mean, I got a math and science requirement finished by taking a purely conceptual physics class (no math at all; all we had to do was keep diaries). Because I took a high level French course in high school, that requirement was really easy to complete. All I have left to finish is the history-like requirement. It's true that there are many women who attend Bryn Mawr with the goal of getting a job. They've structured their course work in order to achieve this goal. But I think there are an even greater number of women who attend Bryn Mawr because they want to learn -- about academics and about themselves.

I think that student government is pretty popular. I work on the literary magazine, which isn't that great, but with work it could be amazing. I go to see most of the plays that Bryn Mawr and Haverford students put on, and I really love to watch screenings of films. Athletic events aren't that popular. I think that the events with the greatest amount of spectators was either Capie quidditch or prom dress rugby. Friend-wise, I think that a lot of Bryn Mawr students generally don't like to fully commit to friend relationships. They'd rather feel more independent. This mindset really bothers me, but for other women, it's really helpful and appealing. Over the weekends, it's fun to go to parties, to stay and play video games or board games, to reserve the student government kitchen and make meals. At Bryn Mawr, lots of women spend lots of time over the weekend with studying. Tradition-wise, Bryn Mawr has a whole lot of traditions -- from Parade Night, to Lantern Night, to Hell Week, to May Day. Plus more. These traditions really pull the school together and add magic to all the studying and hard work that Bryn Mawr is known for. Outside of campus, I see a lot of movies at the Bryn Mawr Film Institute which is within walking distance. And I love to take the R5 into Philadelphia to visit the art museum and Chinatown. And dating-wise, sure there aren't many boys. But if you want romance -- either with a woman or a man -- you can find it.

Stereotypes? My high school guidance counselor advised that I not go to Bryn Mawr because no one shaves their legs here. There are also stereotypes about Bryn Mawr students being boy-crazy and lesbians.

Nico

The best thing about Bryn Mawr is that it can be as small or as big of a community as you want it to be. Philadelphia is an amazing city to be near, and the amount of schools surrounding Bryn Mawr is daunting. There are endless opportunities to meet people, go out, and have fun. People who complain that Bryn Mawr is too sheltered and isolated are plain WRONG and have not taken the time to explore the area. Most people who hear that I went to Bryn Mawr crack jokes about lesbians. This gets very old, especially since it's not exactly true. It just shows how closed-minded people can be. Bryn Mawr has amazing traditions which you can read about on the website. But here's one that isn't up there, for example: I just walked during graduation wearing regalia (cap, gown, and hood) that belongs to the school. It felt awesome to know that tons of other Mawrtyrs before me had done the same, and the 150 year old rabbit fur on the hood was definitely something that other schools don't have! There's also a fur free option now :)

They are absolutely not accurate. Bryn Mawr is an accepting campus, so people are more comfortable about being open with others, more specifically in regard to their sexual orientation. Bryn Mawr students can also take classes at Haverford, UPenn, and Swarthmore (all coed schools)! Being 15 minutes from the heart of Philadelphia means that you're anything but sheltered. The reason I chose Bryn Mawr was because I could choose to make it as small or as big of a school as I wanted it to be. This is rare!

Academics at Bryn Mawr are fantastic. As a French major, I can honestly say the French department is simply a GEM. I feel completely prepared to tackle anything now that I have graduated. Do not come to Bryn Mawr if you aren't serious about your studies. Yes, people study a lot. But it's all about finding that balance between studying and partying. All of my professors knew me personally, and in some cases I spent time with professors outside of class. They're always willing to help, and in this day and age I feel as though this is a rarity.

That everyone is butch, everyone is a lesbian, there are no boys anywhere, Bryn Mawr is sheltered and too small.

Nico

The school is just right for me. Not too big and not too small. On campus, I spend a lot of time either in my room (my friends' rooms) or the library. The rooms are very nice, so I'm not complaining- and we have three libraries to choose from, which is great when you need a change of environment (when studying). There are many schools in the area (Haverford, Villanova, Swarthmore) and in the city, about 20 minutes away, University of Pennsylvania. Ofcourse there are a lot of other colleges as well, but not as close (relationship wise) to Bryn Mawr. Compared to the high school I went to, there isn't much school pride at Bryn Mawr, but that's in relations to sports. In general, I love Bryn Mawr! A precious part of the BM experience are the many school traditions. Although they are assets to the school's student experiences, it can also be something unusual about us, because many of the traditions are very exclusive and something only a Mawrter would understand.

Students at Bryn Mawr, for the most part, like to be aware. There are many many awareness groups and events on campus. There are many religious groups on campus, and diversity talks every week, as well. Students at BM are from all over the place. There are a lot of international students (including myself) and a lot of people from the West-coast (one of my best friends) as well.

If I got the chance to go back and choose a college again, I might stall a little (the academics is VERY VERY intense!), but for sure choose Bryn Mawr again.

Although it is an all-women's college, we're not all feminists who are lesbians. Most of the times, far from it. Although there are lesbians on campus, it's not overwhelmingly prominent that I feel uncomfortable or anything. Academia IS very intense at Bryn Mawr. I have never worked harder in my life. As for partying and having a social life, it really is up to the person. I love my social life at Bryn Mawr. I don't think I have been deprived of meeting guys or unable to party much or so on. Although I never imagined myself at an all-women's college in High School, now that I am attending one, I can't imagine myself anywhere else.

IT'S INTENSE. Students study ALL THE TIME. No exaggeration. Class participation is part of the final grade in most classes and while not mandatory, very very highly recommended. Bryn Mawr really tries to make an all-around woman. Not only do we have academical requirements (liberal arts) in areas other than our majors, but also physical education requirements, swim test, etc.

People who claim that BM deprives of a social life, are people who didn't try. They probably stayed put and expected the party scene to come to them. If you want a social life, you need to go out and try to meet people and change scenes now and then. I have a totally satisfying social life. Sometimes I'm thankful that Bryn Mawr's campus itself doesn't have as much (as often or as big) parties on campus, because it's easier for me to balance academia and partying at the same time. I attend church on UPenn's campus every Sunday (and often on Fridays as well) so I meet a lot of people though the church and have lots of friends on other campuses through that. My two best friends at BM are from my hall from freshmen year. One of them was my roommate and the other lived across the hall from us. We lived together (the three of us) sophomore year and will be hall mates senior year. Some of my other close friends are from classes/extracurriculars. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm studying (class-reading or writing a paper). Partying really depends on the person. On a Saturday night, other than drinking, I'd be ordering in and watching a movie with my roommates. Students in dorms leave their doors open (especially in the fall semester, because it's warmer). A lot of people leave things outside their doors as well - their junk, shoes, or even candy for passer-bys!

Intense, when it comes to academics; hardcore when it comes to partying (generally); active in many areas and pretty liberal. Oh-and lesbians.

Meg

When I tell people under the age of 50 that I am going to Bryn Mawr they say either of two things: "where is that again?" or "that's still all girls isn't it?" When I tell people over the age of 50 that I am going to Bryn Mawr they say some variation of: "oh, wow. That's a wonderful women's college. You must be a good student." It is sometimes hard to be proud when people ask you where you go and they don't recognized the name, but it feels really good to have the respect of adults who in their generation knew many women who graduated from Bryn Mawr or may have attended another women's college. I was in a department store over the summer and my sister was wearing a BMC sweatshirt. The sales clerk bounded over and I heard her ask my sister if she went to Bryn Mawr. My sister said no, but I did (pointing in my direction). The girl ran over to me, gave me a hug, yelled "women's college pride! I go to Smith" and bounded off again.

No student would feel out of place at Bryn Mawr. A Mawrtyr needs to be open minded and accepting of students of different racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, etc. groups on campus. Bryn Mawr girls are there because they are smart, they have potential, they work hard, and they want to learn no matter what titles of human division they can be given. The key is to be open minded and to learn about people you may not have worked with before.

Don't black a women's college off your list because there are no boys.

There is nothing stereotypical about Bryn Mawr. Each girl is different with her own interests, views, personality, etc. Every student can find hundreds of other Bryn Mawr girls who shares something in common with herself. Bryn Mawr is also a mixture of students from different backgrounds, nationalities, and beliefs.

I feel that the education at Bryn Mawr is geared toward learning for learnings sake. I am an English major. Yet, the career I want to pursue is teaching elementry school. Bryn Mawr doesn't even have an elementry education department -- it is at Swarthmore in combination with Eastern College. So, to graduate able to teach at the elementry level I must major in another subject and fill the rest of my schedule with education courses so that I can take the Praxis and student teach senior year AND write my English thesis. So, minus the title, I am a double major. I understand that in doing this, Bryn Mawr wants me to receive a well-rounded education and not concentrate on only learning the necessary skills for a later career. I like to think that when I graduate, I will be more than just a teacher. Yet, sometimes it is frustrating because it seems that I am being discouraged from pursuing such a traditionally female dominated position where I can get a job by the time I graduate. Very few liberal arts colleges don't have a full education department...

I met my closest friends at Bryn Mawr through the Customs program. Customs, the student orientation program, works really hard throughout the year to help the freshman adjust to the Bryn Mawr environment. It gave a set group of girls from the first day of orientation who's names and faces you knew. That really helped give a sense of security that there was always someone to eat dinner with or help you find class on the first day -- maybe they would even be in the class. By the end of the year my friendship circle has branched outwards to girls I've met in my other classes.

Some stereotypes about Bryn Mawr is that all students are radical feminists/liberals or homosexual.

Shelby

Going to college was scary for me at first, as I'm sure it is for most people. As soon as I got to bryn mawr I fell right into everything, like a fish in water. The customs group (the freshman who live on your hall led by the 'customs people' who act like your big sisters for whatever you need) was really nice because you immediately had friends (or at least people to go to dinner with). The traditions make bryn mawr an incredibly special place and it brings the whole school together. My most touching moments have been while working for reunion weekend seeing old old old ladies coming back with their lanterns, excited to see how the college has changed, but mostly to see how is has stayed very much the same. Bryn mawr is timeless in its culture, class and nurturing atmosphere.

The student body at bryn mawr is very open and friendly (minus around finals time). Our social honor code makes the campus a safe place to learn and live. I have made some of the most amazing friends here that I know I'll stay in contact with for the rest of my life.

Some are some aren't. I definitely see men all the time, especially because I major at Haverford and take a lot of classes there. There are a lot of lesbians at Bryn Mawr but it is all a part of the liberal, open-minded atmosphere that anyone can appreciate.

I have never met professors so involved with their students as they are here. I studied abroad at the University of Sydney and it wasn't until I was there that I really realized how special bryn mawr is. At Usyd I couldn't get extra help for assignments, professors didn't know or care about how I did in their class and that was awful. As soon as I got back to bryn mawr I made an appointment to meet with my dean just to remember how efficient our administration can be. I've had dinner at professors' houses, I know their spouses and kid's names, and I know they care about my life too.

I play lacrosse, and one big pitfall of the bryn mawr community is that no one really cares about athletics. Our facilities are crappy and so is our fan attendance to games. Little to no respect is given to athletes and all the hard work they put into their sport. I guess that's what you can expect from a women's college that is so involved with academics- nothing else matters to them.

Some stereotypes about bryn mawr students is that they're all lesbians- they're not. Another, similarly contradictory stereotype is that because it's a women's college they're all easy and desperate for male attention- possibly. People think that when you go to a women's college like bryn mawr that you'll never see a man ever.

Bryn Mawr College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.