Bryn Mawr, PA
Bryn Mawr College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bryn Mawr College

Catherine

Bryn Mawr College is a wonderful undergraduate college that is centered around its tight-knit community of women. Bryn Mawr is a place that allows for women to grow and gain knowledge for the rest of their lives.

I had actually thought of this a couple of days ago-- in high school, I attended an extremely competitive school where people would always try to intimidate you, which affected me in numerous ways. I would always worry about what I had to do to get ahead, but I realized that this action of trying to beat someone else was always wrong. I should have strictly focused on just 'me' and not worry about someone else or trying to beat other students around me in my high school. It was just as important that 'I' did well for myself, not to just beat someone else. That is no way right in living my life. By attending Bryn Mawr, with such an amazing group of women, I have learned to not worry about everyone else and to just worry about 'me,' making sure that I do the best of my ability. So, if I were to tell myself any type of advice while still being a high school senior, I would have said to just take care of myself (and to get a few more hours of sleep here or there!)

I had done extensive research on Bryn Mawr College prior to attending it and I was not surprised or caught off-guard by anything when first attending Bryn Mawr.

Sara

A small liberal arts college for smart, strong, and curious women.

A small liberal arts college for smart, strong, and curious women.

Bryn Mawr is best known for the amazing women that graduate from the college. The student body creates a unique environment for growing, both academically and as a person, that is both challenging and supporting. As a women's college, the atmosphere allows the students to become more confident and assertive. Although it is a small college, people who have heard of it have heard good things. In the Philadelphia area especially, many organizations prefer Bryn Mawr students for jobs or internships.

After an intense 4 years of high school, I wish I had known to take a break. When classes started at college I realized not only were they harder than high school, but I was not excited about the academic challenge. I was burnt out by the stress of high school, and the all the changes in my life, yet I felt pressure to jump right into college. I wish I knew that gap years are common and can be incredibly beneficial to many students. At college, I tried to do too many new things and didn't have the courage to reach out when I needed help. I found out too late that my professors actually weren't that scary, and really did want to help. Through taking second semester off, I was able to realize that it's okay to take a break, and it's sometimes necessary to ask for help. On my semester off I worked retail, which helped me make money and take a break from intense academics. Now the new school year is about to start. With my energy renewed, I am ready for the challenge!

Sophie

Most classes are small, and with highly trained and very intelligent professors, many of whom are at the top of their fields. Students participate in class and do their homework responsibly, and the expectations are high but you'll have plenty of support from staff, faculty, and other students. There are very limited requirements, so there's a lot of room to either explore the curriculum or avoid certain disciplines. Many students major in the sciences, but overall the student body is well-rounded. Although we have certain very strong departments (Classics, Art History, Geology, etc.), the school is small and so course offerings are limited. You can go off campus to take classes not offered at Bryn Mawr, but it's a bit difficult if you have to go further than Haverford.

Julianna

The most frustrating thing is how small it is. It can limit your social life and friendships. The small aspect of the school is very valuable, however, because it allows for such a strong community and personal relationships with academic advisors and professors. The social implications of a small school still apply despite the advantages.

If I could go back to high school and give myself a single piece of advice, it would be: “Don’t worry, you can handle it.” This statement is vague but incredibly applicable and, as I have found in college, accurate. I have discovered in my now three-year experience of higher education that certain classes, assignments, and social situations can be daunting. I have also discovered that these anxiety-inducing areas of my life are completely manageable and that I excel more often than I fail. I can be resourceful, creative, innovative, and confident even when I didn’t think that I could. The discovery of this independence has been not only exhilarating but comforting. There is a security in knowing that in any situation it is entirely within my abilities to seek help, restructure my strategy, and take the time to work through a problem or challenge. In high school this kind of independence was not absent but rather fledgling, so my feelings of autonomy and personal security were absent. I appreciate everyone in my life that supports me but I’d like to go back and assure myself that I am definitively my greatest resource.

It is an incredibly valuable education. This school has a very strong community that is very committed. I wish I had known how friendly and welcoming of everyone it is. The professors are also very committed, knowledgable, and interested in the students' personal academic progress and growth.

Jillian

Traditions! There are four per year, specificially designed to bring the entire campus together to celebrate each class and the camaraderie between all of us. Each one is a unique task that involved the whole school, and at the end, we all spend time together to celebrate our friendships!

Everything happens for a reason, especially with college, so do not be disappointed if the end results are different from what you wanted. You are the person who will be going through the college experience, so apply where YOU want, and make decisions that are best for YOU. If this does not equate to your dream college, that's okay! There are surprises everywhere, and college is what you make it. There are always other alternatives if you are unhappy, but don't wallow. Be proud of where you go, and try not to dwell on what could have happened. Be excited for your future!

We are all friends that live in castles! The community is open, welcoming, and loving, without any caddiness or competition. Most of the dorms look like actual castles, and the campus overall looks like Hogwarts! Seriously. We have our own Great Hall!

Danielle

This is a small, tightknit campus, of only women. But there are lots of school like that. What makes BMC unique, is that every woman has something to offer, and BMC teaches us how to show the world what we can do. We are encouraged to be crazy, to be studious, to be passionate, to be silly, to be aware. When women graduate from bryn mawr, they leave with the drive to make change in the world. Life isn't all about money, status, material things, but the legacy we leave behind. No one ever forgets a Bryn Mawr woman :)

Enjoy every moment! When the stress crops up, you always feel like, "This is the worst! I just want to fast forward through everything!" No. Savor that moment. Every second, every minute that goes by is a second and minute we will never have again. So live life richly, and look back with as little regret as possible. Give yourself lots of stories to tell your grandchildren :) And for goodness sake, smile more, the SAT isn't all that hard :P

A woman who wants to discover more about herself. Who wants to push herself not only academically, but in all aspects. To be stretched in her worldview, her understanding of the world around her, and her perspective on life! Someone who wants to experience change, and is not afraid of a little adventure!

Cassie

Overall, I adore my school. I think that the best thing here is that everyone comes to BMC because they are incredibly passionate about learning. This creates an environment of supportive, interesting people who all value their education. The campus is gorgeous, making this a wonderful place to live. The dorms are also great. The school creates awesome dorm life because we have a great DLT (dorm leadership team) that makes dorm life fun. The only thing I hate here is the food. The dining services budget has been cut recently, making the food quality absolutely abismal.It's essentially disgusting.

My favorite tradition is definitely Lantern Night. All of the freshmen are welcomed to the school on a Sunday night in October. Everyone wears long black robes and the lanterns are passed out to the freshmen in their class color while upperclassmen sing in Greek. It's really beautiful.

There is a ton of stuff to do here. We have a ton of clubs and groups and sports, so finding like minded people is not hard. Parties are not held on campus--people just don't really do that. If you do want to party, though, you can go to Haverford or Swarthmore. They're really close. Student Activities offers a lot of alternative ways to spend a Friday or Saturday if you don't want to go out. Just last week I went to a Build-a-Bear event, and now I have a BMC stuffed animal!

People here are incredibly diverse in every way possible. Practically anyone can fit in at Bryn Mawr. The only people who wouldn't fit in are complete slackers who only care about grades or incredibly vocal conservatives.

Bryn Mawr academics are incredibly challenging. Classes here will work you harder than anything. Professors are amazing; they know your name even in big lectures (but the biggest is only 50 students). Assignments are interesting and hard, but they really make you learn and think about your subject in new ways.

The world awaits you, my young self. I know you’re excited and you should be! Everything changes, but most of it is up to you on whether or not it’s a positive change. High school was a hard journey both emotionally and educationally. But college doesn’t have to be the same. I made the mistake of bringing so much of my high school emotional baggage with me over to college. I should have just let go and saw the start of community college as the new beginning it really is. I’m begging you to do it in my stead. Let of go of the hurt and open up to the possibility of new friendships. Try to trust others and see the good in people. As hard as it can be at times, just be yourself, people will love you for it. Get involved! Yes, you need to study and keep up with homework, but there’s so many clubs and organization you could get involved in. Join one; it would be good for you. One last thing, you know that planner you have stuffed in a desk drawer? Get it out and use it!

Shannon

If I could talk to myself in high school, there are three pieces of advice I would give myself. The first piece would be to take a study skills course and study. College is so different then high school and you can't pass if you don't do the work regardless of how smart you are. I flunked out of the first college I went to because I had no idea how to open a book. The second piece of advice I would give myself is to take Jacob with me. I had my first child at 16 and left him at home while I went to school. I didn't have any reason to take on the responsibility of my life and left that to those around me. I think that had the responsibility of my life been something I had to take seriously, I would have taken many other things in life much more seriously. The last piece of advice I would give myself is to respect myself and my time and to know that both are important. By not believing these things, it left room open to believe that nothing I did was important.

Nichole

Advice I would give my high school self would have to be, decide to go to college soon, start appling for scholarships and grants long before graduation, and last but not least study more.. Attending a vocational highschool I thought I was all set for the workforce. I decied to work because I didnt think I could afford college. Since graduation I got a full time job welding. Talking with all my friends about when they leave for college and how excied they are to leave our small home town I soon regreted not even trying to get finacial aid and apply for college to persue my dream career. I took the second best choice to my happiness and no one should settle for less when it comes to the rest of your working life. A job wont be a job if its what you enjoy and I never understood that until working in a job I was good at but just wasnt what I was truly passionate about.

Bryn Mawr College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.