Bryn Mawr, PA
Bryn Mawr College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bryn Mawr College

Maggie

Hell week. You never know how great it is until you are a mawrter~

Hell week. You never know how great it is until you are a mawrter~

Competitive yet gentle~honor code does somehow restrict the competition of grades among students, yet the student group is still very competitive in whatever field. I know couple upperclass women who are really capable of doing whatever they put hands on.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Any tradition day! Lantern day is my favorite one

What do students complain about most?

Workload, workload,workload. But they always turn out worthwhile. The more we complain, the more we gain:) and sometimes you hear about the weather. Last year, the weather in PA has been unpredictable just like other east coast states. Overall, things can be great here.

Maybe fairy tale like. Honestly, it looks more appealing(gothic architecture) than it actually is haha, even though the reality is still satisfying.

Describe a typical weekend.

Shopping at King of Prussia/Premium outlet(personally, I am too lazy to go there)/Ardmore suburban square for food,etc/ work in the dining hall(Peut-être)/ watching movies/ go to gym...as usual. For Sunday, try to finish homework that are due the following week:)

Describe the dorms.

Remarkable/Gothic/absolutely gorgeous/impeccable maybe?but really depend on which room you get. Different rooms, even in the same dorm, can be of totally different quality. Having lived in the smallest room on campus, I have to say getting a nice room first before you judge the dorm.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

The challenging academic is one of the main reason for me to pick BMC. As a match school, I feel comfortable staying in Bryn Mawr. The convenient transportation, easy access to courses in Trico and the adorable campus are also important factors.

SGA-student government association..etc. (a lot, which you can easily find on the school website:www.brynmawr.edu)

Diverse, Confident, funny, audacious, friendly, supportive...you name it. Even though students are characterized with a wide range of characters, the students here are mostly sane.Therefore, you will expect little crazy scenes here on campus.

Jillian

If this gives you an idea, we were placed on the Daily Beast's list of most rigorous schools in America (above Stanford). Bryn Mawr academics are TOUGH, but also very rewarding. The plus side is that classes are tiny, discussion based, and really geared toward the goals of the students. This year, I've had professors who not only know me by name, but also know about my family, academic and life goals, hobbies, friends...you name it. Professors here have a seriously genuine concern for their students and really make an effort to connect on a more personal level with them. As for class size, I have had classes with anywhere between 5 and 35 students (as a freshman with intro level classes, this is great!), which has given me an opportunity to get a lot of personal attention from my professors. Students are also invited to their professor's houses for dinner from time to time or are invited to outings with professors (looking at architecture in Philadelphia, going to various conferences, etc.) Students take academics here very seriously. We're given a TON OF READING (in my first semester, I was asked to read over 100 pages a night for an Intro Sociology course!), and are expected to work extremely hard. At the end of the day, the work is doable, and students support each other throughout our studies. Even though there's a lot of work, there is a surprising lack of competition due to our honor code system which frowns upon talking about grades and academic standing. My favorite class so far has actually been my intro writing class called "In Class/ Out-Classed: The Uses of a Liberal Education." The class had about 15 people and was focused around the topic of social class and how it affects our education. We had the chance to go on multiple field trips to local middle schools, work with middle school students, plan campus events that revolved around alleviating issues of social class, and, of course, learn about college level writing. The class was SO MUCH MORE than simply a writing class, and students were held accountable for actually creating a change within the college. For example, one event we held gathered students, faculty, and staff to address issues of social class grievances of campus and actually took steps forward to solve some of these problems--talk about a unique and rewarding experience!

One stereotype about Bryn Mawr that I heard back in high school was: "By and large, Bryn Mawr girls are Bi and Large." Under this stereotype, we (Bryn Mawr girls) are all lesbians who care too much about studying and too little about partying and exercise. As a rising sophomore, I can definitely say that none of this is true. Out of all women's colleges, we are one of the "straightest," and there are boys around our campus (from Haverford and Swarthmore) taking classes all year long. Furthermore, our campus administration really stresses personal health and life balance. Every freshman is required to take a 6-week "Wellness" course which teaches us about life skills such as stress management and nutrition. Our fitness center also holds monthly programs where students who exercise have the chance to win t-shirts, water bottles, and other prizes. After a full year at Bryn Mawr, I can definitely say that by and large, Bryn Mawr girls and, well, normal, hard working, intelligent, and independent college girls.

I fell in love with Bryn Mawr upon first arriving on campus. I applied to no other all-female schools, and wasn't really interested in feminism before getting in. The experience has been a magical one; I haven't regretted my college choice in my four years here. I am graduating in May and going to Bryn Mawr was the best decision I've ever made. I enjoy the small community here, recognizing most of the women around me even if I haven't been introduced to them yet. Girls here are quirky, and I never feel like I have to be anyone else to fit in.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

I know there are dedicated athletes on all our teams, but to be honest few people outside the actual sport are interested / passionate about how Bryn Mawr is doing athletically. It's not a big part of the community at all.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Lately there's been a lot of discussion about un-document students and their rights, as one of our students recently came out nationally as an undocumented successful college student. Others are discussing women's rights as far as abortion and birth control, and still others are interested in discussing gender and sexuality issues.

What do students complain about most?

Students complain about the volume of classwork expected of us, but it's a supportive community where everyone (from faculty to staff to other students) wants to see you succeed. Time management becomes a big issue, as most of us did very well in high school without putting much effort in.

Describe the dorms.

Our dorms are absolutely unrivaled, as they're all castles with secret passageways and stained glass windows. You will not find a more beautiful place to live while you're in school.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Bryn Mawr was the only all-women's college I applied to, so the single-sex education aspect wasn't a driving factor. I wanted somewhere that boasted quirky, funny and geeky students. I wanted an artistic student body with intellectual passion. The first time I visited Bryn Mawr, I knew in my heart it was where I wanted to be.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

I'm very close with my family, and even after four years at school I still talk to my mother on the phone every few days. You'll find a rhythm that you're comfortable with after a while. My only advice would be to let yourself relax and experience your freshwoman year. I went home on weekends a lot during my first year at Bryn Mawr, and eventually I had to space out my visits to feel more at home on campus.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

No, Bryn Mawr is a typically dry campus. For every large party we throw, there's always a dry party to accompany it (our giant Halloween bash has an alternate event on the same night, where girls watch scary movies and have a dance party.) Although I drink myself, I have friends who don't and I haven't heard complaints.

What do people really wear to class?

Bryn Mawr is not a place for sweatsuits, but only because those lack individuality. The spectrum of clothing ranges from crazy Hot-Topic get-ups (a little embarrassing to see, I'll admit) to sweaters/jeans to vintage dresses. I feel comfortable experimenting with my clothing on campus, as I'm a pretty quirky dresser. My friend who recently graduated said she felt pressured to buy "normal clothing" to wear to her graduate classes, as her typical 50s style dresses with embroidered owls made her stand out. That stuff just goes over well at Bryn Mawr.

I wish someone had told me to relax more, to experiment and allow myself to explore. I tried a lot of different clubs, but I was pretty rigid academically, taking only creative writing courses. Now that I'm a senior I wish I had taken a history or a studio art course, just to try it (although I love my major.)

I believe Bryn Mawr has an inordinate amount of acappella groups, but the clubs you hear about most often are usually politically-minded, feminist-leaning or interested in social activism / social justice. Cultural groups put on a lot of shows and events as well.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Canaday library, 1st floor on the public computers, is good if you want to stop in, print something, and get out. I would recommend Collier library for hardcore studying (it's almost silent,) and I prefer Carpenter library because it's gorgeous.

What's the Greek scene like?

We do not have sororities, as we are an all-female campus anyway, and very small.

What's the dating scene like?

Of my friends who date women, I hear a lot of them have issues with gossip/past-partners. This is a small community, and you never know whose toes you're stepping on. That being said, I know a lot of girls in happy relationships, and still more who like to keep things casual. Of my straight friends (myself included), there's nothing stopping anybody from meeting guys in the city, at Haverford/Swat/Penn, or just out in town.

Describe a typical weekend.

Friday nights are more active in the Bi-Co (Haverford and Bryn Mawr,) so I usually finish up homework after my writing class and have dinner out with my friends. We'll go to a punk show or party at Haverford and come home to hang out afterward. I usually spend Saturday in Philly, going to a museum or walking around. I see classical music concerts with my friend, attend comedy/improv shows and do a lot of window-shopping. Saturday nights tend to be less active on campus - sometimes there's a movie screening or a dry party with tie-dyeing. Last weekend there was a roller rink and a DJ, cute/kitschy fun.

Bryn Mawr is an international community, and welcomes LGBT students with open-arms. We are conscious of all kinds of gender constructs and are constantly trying to educate ourselves and each other on issues of diversity. I come from a lower middle class family in New Mexico, and although I think a lot of Mawrters don't realize their economic privilege, I've never felt left out of anything because I don't have as much money. I met my closest friends during work-study as a freshman.

The academics at Bryn Mawr are very intensive. You are expected to read a great deal every week, be active in class discussion (as the classes are usually pretty small), attend meetings with your Professors regularly, and keep an active, open mind. I often feel like I'm overwhelmed, but I've learned a lot about time management. Students have intellectual conversations in class, outside of class...pretty much all the time.

The stereotyped Bryn Mawr student is intelligent to the point of socially crippling herself. She is not interested in parties, can't communicate well with men, and is too intense when it comes to media she likes or politics she supports. Although Mawrters are definitely "intense," I've found that most of these stereotypes are spread by women at other schools who feel intimidated or threatened by the all-female environment. For the most part, I've known Mawrters to be somewhat socially awkward, very passionate, creative and driven. When a Mawrter says she'll get something done...it gets done.

Yekaterina

Bryn Mawr is best known as one of the Seven Sister schools, which were created as an all-women's counterpart to the Ivy League schools in the late 1800's. Since its beginning, Bryn Mawr has educated talented, strong, successful women, such as Drew Faust and Katherine Hepburn. While Bryn Mawr is not known for professional education, it has been known to produce students who have the ability to think for themselves, who are exellnt writers and communicators, skills that allow for successf in any field they choose.

While Bryn Mawr is wonderful, it is not for everyone. If you desire a school with strong athletics, large classrooms, frequent parties and greek life, this is certainly not a school for you. At Bryn Mawr, there is a strong sense of community and working together to achieve a common goal, so if you prefer a cut-throat, competitive atmosphere, you will not be satisfied. Finally, Bryn Mawr has a strong honor code, which students respect, and there is great trust between students and faculty. A person who cheats and disrespects others will not fit in here.

College is a time where you learn to live on your own and care for yourself. At Bryn Mawr, you are expected to be responsible and have strong moral character. There is a great amount of trust from staff and faculty to the students. Living in the dorms with or without roommates is a learning atmosphere equal to that in the classroom. You are expected to manage your time, to attend class, and to take care of your needs, such as hygeine and healthy eating. College is a transition between living at home and living on your own, a time when your basic material needs are provided but you are responsible for their proper utilization. It is a time to learn to work hard and also find time to engage in activities that you enjoy and to spend time with friends, who you will keep for the rest of your life. It is a magical four years of exploration, self discovery, and time to make mistakes and to learn from them. Enjoy!

Cant

Here, you'll find some of the nicest people in the world, as well as some of the brightest. Bryn Mawr students know that they attend a top school and they're proud of it, though not to an annoying degree. Moreover, the school's Honor Code permeates -- and in a very positive way -- almost every aspect of campus life. With those things said, Bryn Mawr is only a great school for anyone for whom it is the right fit. For this college, I would do extensive research and, if possible, a visit.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

The academics are steller, the students are bright, thoughtful individuals, and the school has a wonderful community. Plus, Bryn Mawr's traditions set it apart from any of the other colleges I considered. Although I am transferring out of the school, I would still recommend it to anyone who believes that they will be happy in the quirky student body Bryn Mawr has to offer.

To address a few of the questions: Rugby is the most popular sport. Ultimate Frisbee is only located at Haverford through a single-gender bi-co team. Many students do leave their rooms open, though we're advised by Public Safety to always keep them locked. Guest speakers, athletic events, and theater performances are all well-attended. The Bryn Mawr community is tight-knit. Couples of all kinds are welcome at Bryn Mawr.

At Bryn Mawr, the quirky kid will fit it. That's not to say that other types of students will not find their niche.

Marta

Bryn Mawr is well known for its traditions, and I truly enjoy them. I must admit that at first I was a bit skeptical about a few, but after experiencing them I really felt like a member of a community. The school is small, but as small as it seems it very easy to venture off into different paths. One can go a week without seeing a friend. Benefits of going to a small school is that we have lots of resources available and more one-on-one meeting times with faculty and staff. People are often shocked when I inform them that I attend Bryn Mawr, because it's an all-womens college. I reassure them that it's not what it seems, we are a member of a Tri-Co as well as the Quaker Consortium. This allows students to take classes at Haverford College, Swarthmore College, and University of Pennsylvania. We also reside within minutes of Harcum College, Rosemont College, and Villanova University. I love that Bryn Mawr is in a beautiful college town, and only a train ride away from Philly.

Often times I hear people mention that Bryn Mawr students like to be involved in EVERYTHING. Sometimes too much, where they spread themselves to thin. I think the stereotype is accurate because when you ask a Bryn Mawr women how does she spend her time at school, you might hear a list of things. For instance someone might say, "I am a Customs person, a member of ASA, I work for admissions, I volunteer for a tax assistance program, and I sing. I am also a member of the pre-health club and the secretary for the OWL investment group." This is not to mention the fact that they are full-time students, with lots of work. I think Bryn Mawr students are really good at multi-tasking and becoming involved.

I find Bryn Mawr to be too small, and lacking in economic and cultural diversity, though full of sexual diversity. It's also in a very safe but boring suburb. The academic are great except for the science program which is small.

Lesbians that only work and never do more than strict academics

Christopher

I would tell myself to become more active. To get involved sooner and to things today! Don't put of things until tomorrow and seize the day. There is so much you will lose out on, but it's not to late. Get out there and do the best you can, you only live once. The sooner you get stable the more fun you can have. Don't be afraid to get out there and meet people socialize and make connections with people. And most of all be happy with yourself. Don't worry too much about what other people think as long as your living for you and doing what is right you can't go astray. PS, the Patriots win the Super Bowl in 2002 ;)

Kelsey

People who are conservative or don't like to be around people who are not like them. Everyone at Bryn Mawr is different.

I would tell myself to never be close-minded and to work for what I want. I would also tell me that I should take advantage of all of my options and to explore new opportunities.

The lack of financial aide available.

Bryn Mawr College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.