Calvin College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Calvin College

Brianna

Calvin University is an excellent college with an inviting atmosphere. The SPAUD program is challenging, but engaging and well worth the work. Calvin offers many opportunities to become involved in campus clubs and is much more diverse than it seems. I transferred to Calvin and found that the community is much kinder and caring than my previous school.

Lillie

The people here will take care of you. I've had staff members buy me meals and invite me into their homes. If you ask for help you will find it. All of the professors and much of the staff want to help students succeed in whatever way they can no matter what success looks like for the student. I've heard of people struggling to find a social circle they fit into. Calvin is a place where people who are able to put themselves out there (join clubs, get an on campus job, speak to professors, etc.) really thrive. Don't worry if that doesn't sound like you, because the Calvin community will work to prepare you to advocate for yourself and others. And sometimes people, peers, and professors will approach you.

Meghan

Calvin College is a great college for anyone! They have a variety of majors to choose from and there is always a place you can be involved in at the college. Overall, the dorm life is great and we really focus on building community whether that be in the classroom, the dorms, or in other relationships.

Olivia

Calvin College is a good school but not for everyone. If you are looking for a small (ish) Christian liberal arts college with excellent professors and academics, good people, and good opportunities, this is the place for you. If you are looking for a larger school with a crazy party scene in a big city - don't go to Calvin College

Katelyn

Overall, I found Calvin to be a catalyst for growth. Professors are invested in you personally and devote much of their time in helping you develop as a student and a person. However, the academics are very challenging and require you to put in the growth. This is a place that make you more intellectual, more critical, and more spiritual by challenging you to engage with the hard topics. The off-campus programs are a huge asset. Calvin offers many semester and January trips that are led by a Calvin professor. They are treated as an extension of your learning. I went on two and would gladly do both again, and many of the others! But to reiterate, sometimes it seemed unnecessarily difficult and red tape. If you aren't looking for a truly liberal arts experience this isn't for you. But if you are looking for a place devoted to your well-rounded learning and development, its the perfect place for you.

Nathaniel

The campus is designed really well. The flow from the academic side of campus to the dorm side (for Freshmen and Sophomores) transitions really well and creates a natural separation from academic life. The professors here are by far the best part, with each and every one of them passionate and willing to help students learn about anything. All the professors have invested significant time in their field and this becomes extremely evident in the way that they teach the classroom. Our class sizes are small (about 20-30 people max) but there are some outstanding cases (some math classes break this trend). We are known for our Engineering and Speech Pathology majors, but every other major listed gets very special treatment and has a designated "zone" on campus for study. Also, our vast array of student organizations will offer anyone who is trying to find something to do, an opportunity to connect and make new relationships. I am currently a part of the Geology Club (that was started this year), and I go rock climbing almost every day with friends (another note-worthy part of campus) Overall, Calvin College is a fair institution, with many benefits that make it one of the top colleges in Michigan. If you haven't considered it, I invite you to go take a look and possibly even stop by for a Fridays At Calvin event. I promise you won't regret it

Bryan

Attending this 4 year-college has help me so far in specific manners such as furthering my awareness on how much urban planning effects our communities. Ranging from the form streets, buildings, and parks are built to how gentrification alters the landscape and the families. Another distinction I have made during my time in college is being more conscious of the balance of enjoying life and learning. Most of my socializing occurs within specific groups, such as in Puentes, My Brother’s Keeper, and LASA. Each group has a progressive mission in which I enjoy participating, let my schedule allow. Through the events organized by these groups I am able interact with the surrounding community in unique ways, such as by raising fundraisers for children with disabilities, making a stance in peaceful protests, supporting peers, and networking. Aside from this, the unity and bursts of warmth spark a joy in being among the presence of such motivated and talented individuals. This half enables me to fuel my nagging for venture, while my academics quench my thirst for knowledge.

Nick

I think that Calvin is a great place to get a well-rounded education while sticking with your major or emphasis. The professors and staff are always available to help and care about every student they have. The student life is just as great. There are so many opportunities to get connected with everyone. The spiritual life at Calvin is also very active with many ways to get closer to God and with others.

Katarina

It's a great school with wonderful people and professors, I feel that I am challenged and I am growing. There are some things that need to be worked on, like most places, but I genuinely feel that this is the place for me. I feel included and I feel wanted, it's such a great feeling to know I have a home away from home.

Delaney

Calvin College, as a whole, is attempting to be forward thinking and diverse school. But realistically the school is struggling with culture and diversity. The majority of the schools' outreach is geared towards primarily white students and international students. The school is funded by the Christian Reformed Church giving a Christian foundation to it the community and educational system. But at the same time, the school claims to welcome and cater to all religions. The reality of someone who has no Christian school background fitting in and succeeding is low. On a positive note, Calvin has a very safe campus and community. Supportive teachers and staff. Though, the Campus Safety is not the root of this safe environment. I have had personal experiences with the Campus safety not being responsive or professional. Overall Calvin College is a small safe school for those looking for a small intimate school experience.

Audrey

I love my school. While the food is hit or miss the people and academics are unbelievably amazing! There are so many things to do on campus, many people to meet, and sporting events to attend. All in all, I'm so glad I came to Calvin College for I wouldn't be me if I didn't come to this school.

I really enjoy my education and time at Calvin College so far. Being a minority student, it can be hard to find a place where you can feel welcomed and comfortable at some colleges and schools in general; however, at Calvin there is a great sense of community and inclusion. The professors are great as well. They're always willing to meet in or out of their office hours when it works for both of you and are very interested in helping each and every student to succeed in their learning. Academic success is very important at Calvin but so are things like sports, community, and other extracurricular activities. They do a very good job of also integrating a Reformed Christian faith into the learning both inside and outside the classroom. I really enjoy all of the classes that I've taken so far and the clubs that I've joined and I am really excited to see how I'll grow there in the next 3 years.

Natasha

Great school with high academics. Professors care about students and their success.

Anna

Calvin was very rigorous. I had to dedicate myself to working hard when I began sophomore-level classes. Calvin is expensive, but there are lots of awards available. Almost all Calvin students receive some type of financial aid. Also, make sure you are ready to commit to succeeding academically. Calvin's classes are hard but worthwhile if you invest in learning. Because it's a Christian school, Calvin not only has a lot of rules but also enforces them. This is good if you like structure, but by the time I was about 19, I felt like it was too much regulation. I wanted to be treated a bit more like an adult by that time in my life. However, there are a lot of dorm activities, everyone is close, and no one gets away with bad behavior, which was conducive to studying. By far the best part of Calvin is its academics- I had knowledgeable, personable professors who encouraged me and prepared me well for graduate school. In terms of college culture, the Seminary pond is a scenic greenspace where a lot of young couples get engaged. If you go on a "Calvin walk," it basically consists of walking anywhere on campus with a member of the other gender (Calvin has becomes somewhat more accepting of LGBTplus students since I was a freshman). If you go on a Calvin walk by the Sem pond, it's basically assumed that you'll get married soon. Grand Rapids is small, but there's a lot going on. Dubbed "Beer City," Grand Rapids has not only bars, but also good food and a lot of live music options. We would go downtown to ice skate in the winter and swing dance in the summer. The Michigan lakeshore is less than an hour away from Calvin, so that's another nice option.

Tess

Calvin College is over all a great school. It is not perfect, but not school are. Being on campus, you can really feel the love of Christ. You feel valued, wanted and accepted for who you are. Calvin is a very diverse college, and is really focused on making the minorities feel wanted. My experience with Professors thus far has been great. They are kind, almost always available and really make you feel valued for who you are, and truly are there to help you to be the best person/student you can be.

Gabrielle

Calvin College is a caring, close-knit community who legitimately cares for its community and peers. The professors and facility is always there for the students, and they work hard for their students to succeed in the "real world." It truly is a home away from home.

Karisa

Calvin College has a wonderful campus. The classes are very small between 20 and 40 students and the professors really take the time to learn each student's name. The professors know a lot about their subject and are excited about it. Calvin has an student organization called Dance Guild which is run completely by students. It puts on a show each semester and is the largest student organization on campus. Hundreds of students participate in the show and even more attend.

Stellamarie

I have loved Calvin ever since I was a freshman in high school. I first became curious when the senior friends I had told me about their college plans. One name stood out to me in particular: Calvin College. The name had been discussed before as they usually visited our school to talk about Calvin and the college admission process in general. Being even more curious, I searched for whatever information I could find that would help me make my decision. Brochures, websites, past students, current students; you name it, I was studying it like it was my final. Days passed, and I finally came to a conclusion: I was hooked. Calvin had thrown a line, and I was so wrapped up in it there was absolutely no way I would be getting free. When the time came, I began applying for schools. I ended up applying for eighteen schools, but through that entire application process, the one school I wanted to attend was Calvin. Then the day came. I got home from school and beelined to the kitchen ready to indulge in a little after-school snack. My parents walked into the room and said, "This came from Calvin today." My palms immediately turned sweaty, and I slowly took the letter from them. As soon as I saw the word "Congratulations!", I immediately smiled like a fool and hugged the letter. I was in! Even though I continued, receiving letters of acceptance and rejection, I couldn't focus on any other college but Calvin. ​

Ben

Great school with lots to do. The people there want to show as much love to you as possible. The professors are always available to help you with anything, not just academics. I speak honestly. Calvin College is a great school and a template for the others.

Madyson

The atmosphere at Calvin is very warm, welcoming and serene. I am an admitted student, schedule to begin in the fall of 2018. When I visited the campus, I was greeted by not only the students, but also the faculty of the school, which was a great feeling. I am looking forward to being part of the Calvin College community.

Spencer

I love Calvin College. I think it is a wonderful academic institution and a great place to grow in one's Christian faith. I feel that I have learned a lot from the courses and I know that a degree from Calvin will help me find a good job later in life.

Taek Soo

Calvin College is one of the few liberal arts schools that strongly emphasize core curriculum which eventually enable student to learn other fields of study in depth besides their majors. Professors are very caring and kind to an extent where they care for them in and outside of classes, their academic career, lifestyle, their adjustment into colleges. They try to understand to and know your name which mean they actually take interest in you. It is a Christian school, so be aware that most students come from Christian backgrounds, but certainly not everybody is. There are also a big amount of international students in campus, taking over 10-12% of the student population. Students are very kind towards each other, from saying to a random person or opening doors to the people coming behind. It is also extremely safe that you can leave your wallet and other electronic devices anywhere on campus and people will not take it, or they will contact you through your student email or number in your wallet. We have students' page and often when somebody forgets turn off their car lights, people upload a photo of the car and the plate number and let you know that the lights are still on. However, there are also some ignorant students, by intention or unintention, maybe because most of the people from Grand Rapids, MI are white and come from Dutch background. Nevertheless, we have campus wide events which faculty, staff, and students put in their efforts to raise awareness of international students and minorities, from black, native americans, sexual orientations. We try to include everybody, but of course, it is not easy, which is why Calvin emphasize "two eyes" for students to have: one for an eye to know the problem and fix it, another one for empathizing the people and the needies. After all, Calvin is a warm place to be around academically, socially, mentally, and psychologically, except the weather....haha

Allison

Calvin is a great school full of amazing learning opportunities. I love the class sizes as they aren't too big and I feel like all the professors really care about each one of their students. They provide a safe and influential learning environment for everyone. I am blessed to be going to such a great school.

Morgan

This school is absolutely incredible. There is an amazing sense of community, a desperate pursuit of knowledge, and a passion for Jesus that is apparent everywhere you go. The students are filled with drive and curiosity and the faculty shows an undeniable dedication to the success of each person they meet.

I love being a student at Calvin College. The campus is beautiful and safe. The class sizes are small, and the professors are willing to help in any way they can. There is a great sense of community at Calvin with lots of extracurricular opportunities. I love being a student there!

Killian

I never heard of Calvin before the coach of the hockey team reached out to me, and I am very satisfied with my choice in Calvin. Not only are the athletic great but the education and professors here are top notch and want you to succeed, Professor actually gets to know who you are so you are more than just a name. I wouldn't have asked for a better first year at college and i am excited to see what the future holds for me here furthering my studies and career opportunities

Bethany

Calvin college has such an inviting community that is ever growing. There are always new opportunities to meet new people, get involved, and try new things. What's really great about Calvin is that the ratio of students to professors creates an environment for students to connect better with classmates as well as the professors.

Denise

Good college. Some good people. Great professors. Great expectations. High level of excellence. If you make an effort, you can find an amazing group of friends here. If you search, you can find people interested in what you are and sometimes struggling with the same things you are. There are great support structures for any kind of disability or mental health problem.

Matthew

It is a small private college that offers many programs of study. Instructors are Professors who many have had practical experience to bring to the classroom. The class size even as a Freshman as small (not large auditoriums). Professors and Counselors are available to speak with often.

Madison

I transferred to Calvin after struggling mentally and emotionally at another university. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to a small school -- I was fairly sick of small school life after going to a private high school of a mere 520 students. Calvin, however, proved to be exactly what I needed. The professors are very kind and willing to help in any way they can. They make themselves available, and although they push your academic limits, they want you to succeed. I was always being invited by new friends to try different clubs and give new opportunities a go. Grand Rapids is a wonderful city to explore and the surrounding area is always hopping with things to do. Overall, my experience at Calvin has helped me heal and grow in ways I didn't know imaginable, and I can't wait for three more great and challenging years to come.

Abigail

I think that Calvin College is truly an incredible school. We have students who come here from close by in Grand Rapids to as far away as South Korea. We harbor love and devotion to God as we perceive our lectures, lessons, and studies from a Christian perspective. Even if someone isn't part of the Christian faith, anyone can find a sense of belonging and fellowship amongst the people you meet. With countless extracurricular activities, one can never feel bored while on campus. Calvin College also challenges students academically because we believe that every student is up to the challenge and want to push themselves. I love this campus and its community, and I would definitely recommend this school to anyone wanting to apply.

Dasia

The school is a great place for people who are trying to explore life through religion and academics. There is no force to be apart of anything but no one is actively trying to put you down for not joining f anything at all. the school is accepting of everyone.

Calvin is a great small school to get to build strong, life lasting relationships with other students. Academics can be super challenging, so if you're not going to attend class this isn't the place to go. The college is super strict with the no alcohol policy even off campus. The class sizes are small, and most professors are super willing to help with any questions or problems a student might have.

Maisie

Calvin is a community where everyone is welcoming and everyone feels accepted. Even though Calvin's academics may be difficult, they prepare you for the real world after college. The professors are always willing to work with you outside of class if you are struggling and strive to build relationships with their students. The residential life at Calvin is good in most areas but one thing that could be improved is more activities for students to do on the weekends. Calvin College has been wonderful so far and I hope that it continues to be this way for the remainder of my time here.

Lindy

My overall experience at Calvin College has shaped who I am today. I received a Bachelor of Arts degree, with a major in Elementary Education and minors in Language Arts and Mathematics. During my time at Calvin, I was very please with the academic challenges such a small school is able to provide. Class sizes were small (30-50 students) and in some cases, even smaller. A few of my professors even had groups of students to their house for meals and socializing. One drawback is that Calvin is not as diverse as I would have hoped. Yes, they are welcoming and loving to others, but the student population is mostly Caucasian, middle-class, and from a traditional Christian Reformed background. I received a well-rounded and rigorous academic education, but it wasn't until I graduated that I entered the "real world" to experience and learn about other cultures, religions, and viewpoints. Overall, I am pleased that I attended Calvin and I know it has prepared me to be academically and professionally successful.

Katelyn

I really love attending Calvin College. My professors get to know me and I am not just a face in the classroom. I feel that Calvin is a very safe place where I can voice my opinion, expand my social network, and deepen my knowledge.