Minneapolis, MN

Capella University

« See more reviews of Capella University

Don't be afraid to take that step to go to college, even if you feel you're not smart enough for college. It's never too late to attend, but you don't want to wait until you're in your older years. Do it now-apply for college! If you don't know where to start, talk to your counselors, talk to your teachers, ask questions, find someone to help you. Do it now-apply for college! Don't wait until the last minute to get it done, you don't want to get frustrated and lead yourself to giving up, and then never get through with it. Do it now-apply for college! A lot of good paying employment opportunites require college education certificates and/or degrees. Do it now-apply for college! Show your future kids that going to college helped you to get to where you are and where they could be. DO IT NOW-APPLY FOR COLLEGE! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!! BUT YOU HAVE TO - DO IT NOW!!!

When i was younger, I read the book Rich Dad, Poor Dad and decided that i didnt need college..I HAD A PLAN! Notice I said HAD? That thought soon went down the toilet! I went to Bible college in Oklahoma and loved it, but still no degree so I started working full time and moving up the corporate ladder rather rapidly. As I wanted to grow more and more, I noticed that if I had a degree, I would be making so much more! The woman I am now, its not so much the money(although it is important), its more the knowledge. I want to gain more knowledge to use in everyday life. I want to be able to face a situation and, because of my education, know exactly how to handle it successfully. Out of my experience so far, I have attained knowledge to help my management style and handling difficult tasks when asked. I want to continue to gain knowledge, just need help financially!

Throughout my college experience, I have had the priveledge of getting a great education and experience so far. I switched from a 2 year technical college to an accrediated on-line college to finish off my bachelor's degree on-line. I feel as if the on-line school gives me more time at home with my 8 year old daughter. I am a single working mother just trying to finish my education in the criminal justice field. Capella University has helpful staff always ready answer any questions that I may have. I couldn't ask for a better experience when switching colleges. Not to mention the amount of my credits that have transferred were extremely helpful when finishing up my degree. I will start my first class in about three weeks and everything I have been worried about is no longer a concern of mine. I am feeling confident and ready to tackle any task at hand.

What have I gotten out of my college experience you ask? Well I have learned that when it comes to colleges one should really think twice about what school you wish to attend. I chose to attend a tech school because I could get a BA in three years instead of four. In order to do so one needs allot of help from financial aid, something I for one don't get. For example my advisor forgot to ok my private loan that I had to get to help pay for school. My advisor then called and asked when I am going to pay them, even though there was money sitting at school waiting to be finalized, but to make matters worse my advisor has lost important documents that contained vital information about me and my parents. So in closing its best to choose a well rounded school not one that get you in and out with a degree in a hurry and treats you as such.

My college experience thus far has opened my eyes to the absolute importance of education. After twenty years, one tends to forget. I am currently enrolled in online classes at Kaplan university. I realize that education opens up an entirely different world filled with endless possibilities. I can barely contain my excitement in being chosen, as a student. I would like an opportunity to convince other uneducated adults and teenagers , just starting out, of this fact! The only way, to ever rise above your situation and do better, is through education. (Mom was right!) I am a single mother of three, I live in a tiny town and I recieve social security disability. I now understand, by attaining a college education, I can possitivly affect my life, my children's and everyone else's around me! To live is to learn.

It has been valuable to attend because it's a starting point in my college career. I want to attend a four year university, but I lack the finances. I do all that I can to find a job, I apply for scholarships, but nothing works to cover the finances. I am determined to succeed, I want to go to college, and I don't take it for granted, because it's truly amazing to be in college. I just don't have the money. It's too easy to give up, so I'm trying all that I can to succeed and exceed. Despite how things look, I have some sort of faith that everything will be ok in the long run, that I will reach my dream somehow. I don't even know how it'll happen, or if it will, now, due to lack of finances, which is what I have received from my college experience. I guess I just have to find a way to deal, find a way to do make it happen.

So far, what I have gotten out of my college experience is that no matter what school you go to whether it is online or at a campus, you need to stay focused in order to achieve your goals in becoming what you desire to be in your career and try to not let others deter you into achieving this goal. I have heard from so many others that tell me having a degree is so valuable when looking for a career, and I see others that do not have them that seem to be struggling and trying to stay ahead. I wish I learned 10 years ago that receiving your degree before you get married, before you have children, and before you start your life is the most important thing you should do. Then you will be able to pass this valuable information on to your kids and teach them this by example, and then they will hopefully do it the right way!

So far i have met new people and had life experiences that i wouldn't have ever dreamed of if i hadn't started school. I enjoy learning and expanding my knowledge and i thought i would have been stuck at the same dead end job forever, and if you don't go to college you will. Im going to school to become a pharmacy technician. Now a days its hard to even get a job without some college and with the economy the way it is and so many people out of work its not only good for you to go to college but you need it to even stand a chance against other people in the workforce. They asked us in school why we were attending and i wrote down for my future, for what i didn't have as a child, for my future children, for my future grandchildren, for my parents when they are older and for my future husband.

First point would be adapting. Life at home is different than life at college. It’s easy to feel lost in sea of strangers. You will need to learn to adapt to these settings as you’re going to run into them later in life. There will be culture shock as you adapt. Take comfort in the fact that everyone goes through this phase. Make new friends and try to make the best of it. Learning is important. There’s a lot more to learn than just what’s taught at college. IT has many certifications that offer a more refined knowledge of the subject. Employers look for this and your desire to learn will show in your experience. Put together a schedule and stick to it for active learning in and out of college. Define daily free time and take the time off between quarters. Or else you will get burnt out.

The advice that I would give myself if I could back in time would be that college is not that intimidating and that I can do it!! Although I had no support at home or at school in making those decisions to go to college I would let myself know that I can find the answers and do the research myself, and that it really is not that hard no matter if it seems like a mountain that I may not be able to see over at the time. I would let myself know how much harder that it would be in the future for me and that I would be saving so much time if I could do it now and that all those things that I thought were so important would not be there in the future. I think the most important thing is giving myself the confidence that I can do it and that I would be so proud of myself in the future.