CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College

Irandel

The professors are amazing, and all of us seem interested on everything they are doing. There is office hours so a student can talk to a teacher about certain things they got confused about. The school sends email so students can become more interactive with the school's activities.

amanda

The BMCC team is really efficient and i feel really good in school. A bunch of kind and professional people

Kia

In my point of view, CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College is quite a wonderful school. The campus is not too large and campus facilities are easily accessible. The teachers there are really really nice and they are always eager to help students whenever they have a problem. So far I have no problem with the school at all. I love it!

Maria

I feel like they add a bunch of classes to your itinerary just to run up your aid. I'm not the only one who feels this way, other students have expressed this in numerous conversations. Overall, The staff is mostly helpful and attentive. The campus building is roomy and safe.

sezen

I decided to get my general education at BMCC because I thought it will be cheaper to get my associates degree at the community college. But I regret it. Because professor at this college are not good at teaching or maybe they are not taking their job seriously. In my four semester I only met 2 professors who really loves teaching and they were really good but unfortunately rest of the professors are not good. I wish I thought about quality before. I was thinking all cuny schools were good but I was wrong! This college needs to upgrade their teaching team. They don't teach you but most of them just reads the text from textbook or they create power point exactly same as textbooks. When I listen other college's lecture online I amazed how can Professor makes difference with their teaching. I can't wait to transfer to university!

Selenia

The school is a very secure and safe place, never had problem with professors, and are pretty available. The newest building is probably the nicest, next to the Murray street building. Not bad of a school, pretty general and basic. Students are veryy diverse.

Ebony

I've had a great experience at BMCC. I've been there for almost four years because my remedial classes were delaying me and I took some time off for work, but overall they have been so helpful and are still helping me progress towards my first degree. The food and nearby stores are great and the people are generally very nice. It's a very diverse college that is very caring and supportive of their students. They are so many benefits and resources available as well as immediate help if need be. Advisors are welcoming and are always there for any assistance you may need at all times in person or through email or phone. The professors here are amazing and I've met a few of my most favorite in my semesters here. I've even gotten the chance to publish my own writing with the school which is one of my passions. BMCC is an amazing college for anyone and I would highly recommend this community college to anyone. It's definitely a place for education and endless opportunities.

Vito

It was a very good school a lot better then the 4 year colleges. They help you exceed your limits and teach you in order to prepare for the real world. There science departments is one of the best in CUNY along with their staff of highly educated and profound professors. Its a very underrated community college.

Momina

Borough of Manhattan Community College has a beautiful campus in the heart of Tribeca. The atmosphere of the college perfectly matches that of the bustling city that surrounds it. Students rush from class to class without much emphasis on socializing. However, those who are interested can choose from various clubs and activities. Overall, it is a good, affordable college for those who are interested in their academics and not so much in socializing.

Alexia

Borough of Manhattan Community College has a lot of opportunities for students to learn and grow in a goal influencing and comfortable environment. This university is the epicenter of cultural diversity and allows people to feel socially comfortable and unrestricted about their true characters.

Eliza

Its a great college that helps you expand your studies to other colleges as well as its own. I feel welcome and the teachers provide a lot of extra credit as well as help so you know that they care for you and want to see you at your fullest. BMCC has cared for my well being both mentally and physically. BMCC offers multiple sports and clubs as well as physical activities such as yoga.

Erene

It's not that bad of a college. It's in a decent area, although that really means that all of the food is extremely overpriced. The clubs are fun, and once you go past the 100 classes, you'll find signs of intelligent life. Sports are somewhat big here (we have a mascot) and academics do have a pretty heavy emphasis placed on them (like I said, past the 100s classes).

Alisha

Borough of Manhattan Community is a great start for those who don't know what exactly they want to do with their lives. It always very convenient and affordable. This is my second year at BMCC and I have been offered countless help and opportunities from day one! You'll always be meeting new people and many who are also on the same path as you, so you never feel isolated. Although it can be intimidating to meet new people because it's a huge college, everybody is surviving just like you. I think it really does go by its motto "start here, go anywhere".

Marni

I think it is fantastic. Most of my Professors have a PhD and happen to be students obtaining a PhD while teaching. Majority of them teach at Baruch, Mercy College, City College, NYU as well as various other Senior Colleges, yet choose to teach at BMCC too. The Communications Program has so much to offer me as well. My professors are always willing to speak with me and help me anytime I ask them to.

jessica

I cannot wait to transfer out!, Professors lack passion. Registrar and financial aid almost non existent. Bathrooms are disgusting and almost never working. IF you are a freshman it is hard to navigate and most security guards don't care when you ask for directions but, others simply say I cannot help you and walk away. NOT worth the tuition money.

Bmcc isnt the best college. The staff isnt very polite. Professors are ok there are some who are great. The food in the caffeteria can be better. The education at Bmcc is regular some professors dont put effort or dont worry about teaching students they are just worried about covering he material.

it has a great study enviroment

Justin

After not attending school for 15 years since High School, I was intimidated. As soon as I got through the line on registration day at BMCC and met my advisor, all the fear left. She was pleasant and encouraging. The school has a wide range of class schedules, allowing me to work full time. I’d say the two best instructors I have had were the English professors. They made me want to sit in the front row. I happened to live in the same area as one of the math professors I had over a year ago, he always says hello, still. I am eager to continue my studies and excited to see what my next instructors will be like.

Jasmine

Collee is what you make it. If you are a motivated student, you will be able to maneuver around some of the college's faults. They provide free tutoring services and a gym. The professors are good if you choose wisely. It's the best you can get paying little tuition. Take advantage of the amount of assistance you can receive.

Rajarshi

Need to have better and friendly staff and professors. No one cares about the students and their life. Everyone is in their own zone. You need to figure out everything by yourself. There are a lot of clueless students who do not know where to go, get help in there education or social.

Edgardo

My overall opinion of the CUNY Borough of Manhattan Community College, in which I attend is lukewarm at best. I have navigated my way throughout the years attending classes in-school and online, having much success and less stress added to my life when attending online courses. A greater majority of my professors have been exceptional to adequate, with a select few who impose crude teaching methods that make for an uncomfortable course and inconvenient learning experience. I feel more hybrid and online courses should be made available to students who are much more capable of learning or studying lecture material at their own pace or work full-time (simplifying a bustling life). The college material for some particular courses varies in difficulty/stimulation and may overwhelm a student or in some courses offer very few challenges (for growth). The most notable concern for students and myself, from experience, has fallen upon the ineptitude of administration, and the lack of support. There unwillingness to accommodate or assist students such as myself in-need financially or advise regarding scholarships or networking is unreachable and unattainable. I must seek outside scholarships due to a faulty log-in system and for lack of a better word, incompetent workers. And lastly, administration dictates to employees to withhold vital information regarding funding, grants, and Financial Aid to students, as I have been told discreetly. Overall, most professors are well intent, but I feel this college must be overhauled from President down to administration. This review is true and accurate from personal experience.

Nana

In my opinion, the location and diversity within the students' background, such as ethnicity, nationality, language, sexuality, and so forth, are the most fascinating things about this school. As a international student, students are very open minded and I have never felt left out or being a minority. I always enjoy meeting new people and always enjoy learning something new from the fellows. Class size is not too big(20-30). Also there are so many club activities on-campus and off-campus.

Jorge

it's a wonderful college to help students who don't speak English with its numbers of curses that they provide to us as well, and to be successful in our career-life, and also you don't feel discriminator by the social environment. the campus is pretty large and it rounded by our needs

Irving

There is a lot of things to say when it comes to your first college. So much information you don't know, so its only natural that one would feel intimidated. BUT NOT HERE! BMCC has been helping students of all walks of life for over 40 years. They offer vocational training by YearUP, associates degrees of many majors in demand, extracurricular activities involving the BMCC community, employment advising, arts and theater, sports, and even more to come. The school provides many clubs and societies on campus , which is a great way to meet people of similar interests. like all CUNY schools, their credits are transferable inside the CUNY system and there are options to study abroad in or outside the country.

kayla

Everyone will tell you something bad about BMCC, its a "school for dropouts", "only people who hit rock bottom go there", etc. but honestly I really enjoy it here. Everyone here is friendly and adult like, everyone has such nice hospitality and its so easy to make friends. I was worried at first from everything i've heard about this school, but its a really good school.

Epiphany

They have a lot of programs to help first time students adapt to the college life which is something I deeply appreciate. College can be extremely intimidating for first time students and also for someone who is a bit older. I remember trying to apply straight from high school and was extremely overwhelmed with no guidance and ended up giving up.

Sonchelove

I must say, I've enjoyed my time at BMCC. It is nothing like what expected or how people perceived it to be. I am a future graduate of BMCC and in a heartbeat, I would recommend friends or family to attend. The faculties really care about their students and the well-being of their students. And please, a special shout-out to the maintenance crew, thank you for keeping our buildings clean, you are truly appreciated​.

jenabu

so far its a great experience i love to be there the campus is always full of fun events so many resources and actives i love how all my professors email me and give me feed on how i did in my assignments . i glad i pick to go to this school because i get to explore so much things that i wouldn't do and do so many things i wouldn't do which is also why i love this school . another reason why i love i love my school because we get access to gyms, swimming pools, and other actives and have a quiet room for us to study

mamadou

Its the best community college in New york city the Best professors are there. The professors are always ready to make face to face meeting with students to see how they could help them improve in academics which is super important as support to scholars.

kembelyn

As a college freshman it can be kind of terrifying entering a new environment where you are not really familiar with anything, but I could not be happier with my choice of school since the first day I ever stepped foot at BMCC everyone there has been so helpful and kind to me I appreciate it so much because when your entering a new school and don't know anyone you do feel alone but I'm so glad to say that I'm not alone, my school is there to help me make it all the way to graduation.

Naphtali

It may be a big school with an even bigger student population but the quality of classes are very good and varies depending for what you major in, the same could be said for almost every college, but this one for it's affordable price and quality teaching has me wanting to continue my time at this school.

Kevin

I feel this facility can bloom if it had a bit more Enthusiasm to get students to try their hardest to reach their goals/dreams. Sure they help us succeed by offering help so that our grades aren't poor. But they haven't really done stuff to really convince me and push me to my limit.

Christopher

The school is an excellent way to start off your college career and use as a launching pad to bigger and better things. There's a chance you could succeed with just the Associates degree you attain here, but the school puts significant emphasis on continuing your education in a four year university beyond BMCC (particularly promoting fellow CUNY schools). Academics are all fine, but many majors do feel a bit segregated. As a Film major I was able to interact with people from the Animation, Multimedia, and Theater departments, but very little beyond that (I never saw much of what went on with Nursing or Psychology students, for example). Dealing with administration and higher offices can be a frustrating endeavor, especially if you're in charge of one of the extracurricular clubs the school has to offer. Many offices will be unresponsive, lead you back and forth in an endless loop, or not be as helpful as necessary. I rate campus housing as low as I do simply because to my knowledge there isn't any on-campus housing, and I'm unaware if any school-provided off-campus housing exists. Overall though, if you put the effort into the school, the school may try to put effort into you. It knows it's a community college and merely a stepping stone to greater things, and will set you on the path to your career goals. Just expect a few hiccups on the way.

Brittney

While I was there, it was one of the best schools I feel a student can attend but it took too much of my time later on in life. I wish I would have enrolled younger if so I would have finished.

Rebekah

It's a diverse school that provides a seamless transition into higher education. The professors are available when advice is needed. They send out emails to inform you off weekly activities, they have a lovely library. I enjoy the campus especially on of them. Its in a central location that allows easy access to major train and bus routes.

Alicia

I love the students, they are always determined to work, and do well but still socialize. Many of these students inspire me. If the don't have the money, you see them even more determined to succeed and prove their income does not define their intelligence. There are some better teachers than others (but that's everywhere) and I enjoy the work because I feel determined to prove myself.

Shakiyla

It's a great school full of wonderful teachers who are on time everyday willing to educate my fellow students at BMCC. It is a great starting point in one's journey to attaining a higher education. The curriculum is straightforward under the condition that if studying and staying focused as well as motivated will help ease the stresses of school.

Alicia

BMCC is a okay college. The grading is easy but the teachers are not great. Everywhere is loud with speakers and students yelling about useless things. The academics are not that hard but you need to do the majority of Learning on your own. Overall I do not recommend this school.

Felicia

BMCC has many good qualities. The classes are small, it's cheap and has classes at all hours every day of the week which can help you create a flexible schedule, and there are a variety of resources available like free tutoring and printing. Sometimes it feels as though the material has been dumbed down and is not at a high level. You can find good professors if you look for them. It's what you make of it and how you use your resources. There are definite problems with administration and faculty.

Ambar

CUNY is a good college to seek your hidden skills alright, however, if you already have a skill on use such as Art related, Music creations, Website developments and Crafts, sure this college will help you by giving the credit but there are better colleges with art based stuff only, and other categories. There isn't much for communications for your career. This is actually a good college to start with, and when you get enough credit, transfer right away you achieve your goals.

Debra

It’s a fantastic campus and I can’t wait to start my first year of college here. I hope it’s truly worth my while. Some of the campus is confusing but last time I went it was to meet with my adviser about my CUNY Assessment Test that I had taken for Math 6 ( college-level math). Overall I’m hoping that this new start in lie is a continuation of something great in my life.

Shakhboz

College is safe. Not all teachers are good. Has a lot of different activities. College life is pretty interesting. The place where the college is situated is very nice and beautiful. Staff is nice too. Labs are fool of tools. GYM is small. Also, has a swimming pool.

Maria

It's a good school but could use some professors that care more.

Judith

The school is great, it has amazing professors, dedicated to their craft and to help students learn. The only issue I have, since I am a full time employee, its the that the office hours conflict with my work schedule, and I need to take a day off work for any assistance.

Rosheena

Attending BMCC was the best decision I could have ever made. Not only is it located in the heart of Tribeca but it provides opportunities that have made me academically successful in the two years that I have attended. It really helps you to know what is your next step to prepare for your future career. BMCC is diverse and you are accepted anywhere you go.

Fatoumata

At first when you are a new student, it's little bit difficult. Once you get familiar to the school and the offices it gets more easier. I am really glad that I started at BMCC because they helped me learn so much and they helped me see through my future. Start Here. Go Anywhere

Roshana

its good

Anay

This is an all inclusive school that cares about its students. BMCC is extremely supportive, fun, engaging, academically encouraging. Here at BMCC we truly believe that if we start here we can go anywhere. I encourage everyone to attend BMCC. This is an amazing school and I am proud to be a BMCC student.

arnela

The school has 3 buildings. The main building is very old and some classrooms are falling apart. The other building on Murray street is alright. It is nothing special but at least it is across the street from a whole foods, barnes and noble, chipotle and tagret. The newest building, Fitterman is the best. It is very modern, updated and technology advanced. Student life is alright, I haven't made much friends. Professors are typically very good and lenient.

sophia

Overall this college challenged me to think outside of my comfort zone. I believe this college has made me adapt into a better person.