Torrance, CA
El Camino Community College District

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend El Camino Community College District

Ariel

I wish I would have known how unyeilding some of the teachers could be. I think that would have better prepaired me for the world of college. To some teachers, you are only a mark on a page; in High School most teachers care about your goals and help you to attain them. I am sad to say that some professors take pride in breaking you down and working you harder then you thought possible. A heads up on the workload would have also been a good thing. I would tell myself not to give up, not matter what happens.

Anyone who needs a lot of guidance should not try going to this school. The counselors are not very accommodating, although general questions can be answered correctly. You also need to be a determined student, as many people go to this school for years without much progress. It is very simple to take a class and realize you did not need English B, but English C instead. You must take control and do everything yourself. Registration is online, and so is everything else. You have to be very goal driven, and you should have a list of classes you need.

If I could go back and give myself advice, it would have to be about friendships. I would tell myself to have fun, and to hold your friends close. Enjoy your last summer together, and when you do have to part, realize that everyone must go their own way. You have to let those you love do what they think is right, no matter how far it takes them away from you. I would want myself to remember that my true friends will stay in touch under any circumstance. You will have to work hard, but always find time for fun. (It will help you do well in the long run, believe me!) Tell everyone you love how much you care about them, and give Grandpa a big hug for me. I would want to tell myself that everything will all work out as long as you do the best you can. You can't do any better then that!!

Kristine

There are different types of groups at school. There is always new people to meet.

School is great, everyone is so laid back.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a highschool senior, I'd tell myself to take my AP classes a lot more seriously and to force myself to take more college classes. Paying for classes are pretty expensive to take advantage of all the free opportunities.

Tiffany

If given the opportunity to go back to my high school senior year I would motivate myself to take risks. I did not apply to California Universities out of fear of rejections. Being the first generation to even graduate from high school was no excuse for not trying my hardest to go to a university. I regret not coming out of my comfort zone because I think I really would have enjoyed going through the going away process, different atmosphere, and most of all gaining a new sense of independence. Not asking for help was another one of my weak points. It felt embarrassed to have to ask how to do something with a mere 3.0 grade point average. I often compared myself to the other class mates and thought I was no competition to their 4.3 and all ap & honors classes. I now realize how ridiculous it was to limit myself the way I did.

In El Camino classrooms one can see a lot of diversity with different types of motivation.

El Camino is a helpful environment that includes a variety of ways to accomodate to their students.

Sean

Whats unique about my school compared to other schools i have considered is the melting pot of students from around the world. I love other cultures so it makes me happy to see different kinds of people in my classrooms that i learn in and on the campus that i commute to.

The advice i would give myself as a high school senior, would be to do more research. I wasnt told about my options when i was in high school, so if i could go back in time i would tell myself all the things that i know today about free scholarships and what schools i could get in at the time. I would remind myself to be passionate about psychology because that is what i am interested in today, it would save me alot of time in the long run. I would remind myself that i am smart and that I can do anything I focus on doing and that I need not give up on anything I start doing regardless of my situation, or the things going on around me. I would reinforce the morals that were instilled in me through my single mother, and i would make sure i stayed the right path one hundred percent. I would tell myself that the people i meet throughout my life will help me become the person that i have wanted to be my whole life.

My classmates are my friends and my competition in the classroom. They are versions of me with differnt backgrounds, and different lifestyles, we all want the same thing. We want to change the world in one way or another, we want to open doors for our children that were not open for us. We want more for ourselves, our children, and for the most part we want more for the World.

Troy

"Young Troy," I'd say, "don't ever become complacent or accept mediocrity. Find some help in searching out and applying for schools and scholarships, then work as though your life depended on it. Realistically, it does." Young Troy would probably just nod and agree, but find an excuse to not do these things. I'd have to tell him again, "Don't slack off in school, and start now to unlock your true potential. I know that you hate headaches, and by working hard now, you can be spared incredible suffering later on. Go get to work, and don't be too proud to ask for help!"

Darnell

I would first tell myself to stay focused and know that you want to do and what college you want to go to. Get all your paper work done and start looking for scholarships. I would also say as you are in college stay focused and stay determined to get your degree and go for greater because there are a lot of distractions in college and in life. Be on your "A" game and press toward the mark of success you can do it dont let anyone or thing stop you. Acheieve all that your heart desires and and then go for greater. Be diligent, work harder that way you can relax later.

jasmine

I would tell myself that college is the real thing, Its not the time to slack off and get behind, because nobody is going to be there to hold your hand unlike high school when your teachers help you pick out your classes. I would also tell myself that I need to be focused and have a good mind set on what I want and need to do. The last thing that I would tell myself is to have faith that you can do it don't always assume that people are going to be there all the time to help you out, its like your on your own, but you still have some support. Get it together and make sure that you are doing the best possible things for yourself.

I believe that a person who is dedicated and wants a higher education should attend this community college, because if they work hard enough then they can move on to a top school that can better there education.

El Camino is a well organized, popular community collegge.

Shayna

The first thing I would tell myself is to stay surrounded by goal-oriented individuals who can help you stay focused. More than half of what you learn in college is taught to you outside of the classroom. It is so different from high school, where more than half of what you learn is taught inside of the classroom by the teacher. You need to really train yourself to open those books whenever possible and study study study! The glamourous college life you see in the movies, leave all of that on the Television screen. This is real life not one of National lampoon's famous movies. Remember that you are now considered an adult, the moment you have been waiting for all your life, so be prepared to be treated like an adult. It is your responsibility to get to class on time , get your assignments turned in on time, and give yourself enough time to study for your exams. No, Mommy can not write you a note or talk to the teacher to get you out of anything you are not prepared to deal with so get ready. DO NOT FORGET YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

There is a mixture of all types of people at El Camino College. Their ages range from high school senior to senior citizens. I've had classes with adults who have the mentality of a school age child, and others who are very focus of their main goals.

The classes that are offered, as they apply to my major. I've seen other surrounding community colleges' course books and El Camino's is so much better

Jasmine

When being a senior, one thinks that college is a new beggining. Which is true, but what one does not realize is that high school has a big influence on how college will turn out. There are things that in high school could have been done to have a better college experience. For example, it is highly important to develop study and writing skills. These type of skills are needed in college more than ever. The topics that are reviewed in the 12th grade will be thought again in college, so paying attention that last year of high school will benefit you in the longrun. Yes, many want to sit back and relax their senior year but in reality it is perhaps the most important year of high school. The habits and knowledge you gain that entire year, you will carry on to your college experience.

A person who does not value education. While attending this school I have been able to distinguish the determined students from those who do not value education as much. I have made friends with both types and I definitely appeciate their perspectives but it simply seems like those who do enjoy school make El Camino a more enjoyable place.

If you want to strive and become a well rounded individual, El Camino is the place to grow in individuality and knowledge.

Heather

El Camino College is not only well known for it's academic excellance, but also for its great transfer rates to four year institutions. El Camino also offers over 800 career and academic programs. This school has some of the best teachers I have ever had.

Heather, you must try to understand how important it is to prepare yourself for what is coming next. You may be unsure about the path you are going to take. Reguardless of which way you go, you must be willing to have an open mind and be accepting of others. I can not stress to you how important it is to remain focused and try your hardest in all that you do. Never give up. As hard as it may seem at times, it will pass. Enjoy the good times and never let the bad times bring you down, just know that you will learn from them.

Before I had come to El Camino I wish that I had better prepared myself for a higher education. I have been able to do well in my studies at El Camino yet, it has proven to be quite a struggle because of my lack of preparation before arriving here. I also believe that I would have been more prepared if I had done more volunteer work and work with the community.

El Camino Community College District administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.