El Camino Community College District Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for El Camino Community College District

Micaela

I absolutely love El Camino’s curriculum. The teachers are extremely helpful, encouraging and most importantly easy to access. I am personally not a big fan of the students and it is only because I believe some students have egos and believe they are entitled and better than most. I have loved my honors classes because of the students, but my general classes were filled with students who weren’t civilized enough to sit in a classroom and not be on their phone. I am worried about my own education, but it is a distraction when I see and hear phones going off in a classroom (post-coronavirus). And even though all classes are now virtual the teachers still put in the same effort and care into their students.

Kevin

El Camino is an overall wonderful school district to be a part of. It's a great way to get started in college, they have many programs that offer students a wide variety of resources. The professors at El Camino are very kind and proactive in ensuring a student's success. I'm very happy to attend El Camino.

Kimberly

I love this school its very nice! I take part time classes since i work full time. Easily accessible not complicated. Would definately recommed anyone that would like to go back to school to come to el camino college. Everyone is willimg help one another

Aleesa

Overall the El Camino is a great school. They have a variety of clubs and sports that me and other students will enjoy. Even if is fall is going to be my first semester being there it's very spaces and has a lot of green space to chill and do your homework with peace and quiet. The student services are great. When I start I will definitely take advantage of those especially the financial aid office. The teacher's office hours I will use for my benefit and other students use them as well. At the school you also get a chance to develop a bond with them. Especially getting the teacher's emails for that extra help.

Sha'Rese

El Camino is a great community college and has great opportunities for you to partake in. It also helps you to see that if you really want the information you have to go and look for it. There are so many resources that people rarely take advantage of. The students there are very helpful and provide just as much insight as a counselor or teacher. In terms of sports or events, you will probably not know about them unless you know someone or you see it happening in front of you.

Karla

I am at a loss of words when having to describe the El Camino Community College District. The school has beautiful facilities and goes above and beyond in the academic classrooms. The school has so much to offer for students at El Camino College. For example, tutors are available in 90% of the subjects, five days a week, professors have office hours to allow students "one on one" time, and so much more. El Camino College also offers a variety of extracurricular activities for students to get involved such as clubs, athletic teams, programs to help students succeed(honors programs), and many many more.

I love El Camino College, I fell in love during a summer course and have never looked back. I love going to school and have a happy, healthy learning environment. The teachers, students, and staff and great and make it that much more enjoyable. I do really well in my studies due to all the benefits and programs El Co has to offer!

Adolph

Overall, it is an amazing college. Even though it is a community college, it lets people of any walk of life feel and have the experience of going to a university. It is a very beautiful campus that offers so much to its students. I am glad to be attending here and will miss is when I transfer to a university.

Anastasia

My overall experience of El Camino is a below average . I hated my first semester there so much I chose to drop out, and now im playing catch up because I chose to leave. Their administration office isn't the most professional group of woman I've seen. There was an issue with my financial aid application where it said online that I was an "out of state" student, and that ended up being a major setback for me. I couldn't register for the beginning of spring semester and needed to wait until halfway through to get only two classes. Now, I feel a lot better about asking questions and demanding to be helped. I wish communication was better there and wish they urged you to join a group more. Groups like Puente or Project Success, to help the Latino community or the African American community with scholarship opportunities and their everyday class schedule. On top of that it helps give students a support system and a group of friends, which some kids need going into their first year not knowing anybody.

Sydne

All in all I really liked my time at el camino. The professors are really nice, they take time to explain the material and if you don't understand (or are a shy student like me) they are more than happy to talk within their office hours. There are plenty of places to eat on campus, and overall it is a solid place to get all of your G.E.s done. One main drawback is that it still has a "high school" feel in respects with the majority of the students--but that goes away the deeper you get into a major

Chelsea

This is one of the best community colleges in the LA County. First of all, the campus and the surrounding area is very beautiful. The campus is huge, up there are directories around campus, and if you still can't find what you're looking for, then you can stop any student and they will be more than happy to tell you what it is your looking for. The professors are always available and very helpful, there are many places to get food on and off campus, there is so much culture... I could go on and on! It's truly an amazing school. I have never felt so comfortable at a school before and the students and professors are some of the most accommodating people ever. The professors will explain something to you again if you don't understand a concept, and if you still don't understand they will schedule an appointment with you and tutor you until you understand. And if you are absent, your classmates will go over what you missed and give you the homework.

Richard

Highly recommended for anyone thinking on applying to a community college, I feel like it has wonderful sense of community and great students. The professors are great and you meet lots of friends. The campus includes lots of great events that are open to everyone that attends school or people that don't.

Kendra

El Camino is a great college with great professors who are engaging and attentive. There's great extracurricular activities and the students there are very respectful and kind. The campus is clean and the campus food is decent. El Camino is a great college to attend before transfering to a university. As of Wednesday, December 12, 2018 I have finished my first semester at El Camino college in torrance ca. My Major is music because I want to be a professional singer and hope to take it to newer heights and also travel the world and see many things .

Sandra

El Camino College has been resourceful and welcoming since the first day I came. The students are friendly and the professors helpful. There are an incredible amount of resources provided to facilitate any issues or difficulties anyone has regarding transferring.

james

The overall campus has been improved which makes the campus looks new. But the overall quality teachers sometimes lack in certain classes. The counselors need to tell full information on what the student choices are esp students who are coming back from being out of school. Lack of counselors are aware to tell the students academic choice on getting a chance to petition or re-take their test scores.

Dulce

At first, I was afraid of a big change going from a small high school to a big campus, but day by day, El Co started to feel a lot like home. The teachers, students, and faculty are all really helpful and nice. Everyone I have worked with as a student, has always been there for their education, whether it is to better it, continue it, or just starting and have not declared their majors. I loved the environment. I will definitely miss this school when I transfer.

Vanessa

As a first-generation student, I never imagined myself attending an institution for higher education. After high school I enrolled in El Camino College, ambivalent and unguided. It was through the help of the counselors and staff where I was able to find my community on campus. I joined First Year Experience and the Honors Transfer Program where I met other likeminded individuals just as motivated as myself to achieve their goals. Many hold the misconception that attending a community college will hinder their success; however, if I could go back in time I redo my journey I would pick El Co again in a heartbeat. ECC provides students like myself the opportunity and financial support to figure out what he or she may want to pursue. There are various programs and services offered at ECC to help students succeed. Whether one is pursuing a certificate, transfer degree, or trying to improve skills ECC offers a feeling of community that is unmatched anywhere else. Faculty and staff are eager in easing the hardship that comes may come in pursuing a higher education. Many offer advice on how to reach particular goals and attempts to cultivate an alumni network that motivates and provides mentorship to current students. If anyone thinks the community college route is subpar, I would implore them to recognize that the professors who teach at ECC are top-notch educators who are able to conduct research. Instead of going to other universities, these professors find it beneficial to teach at a community college where they can impact more students and help shape the future.

Kaylin

I haven’t started my classes yet but from what I experienced in my fall semester, it was pretty descent, just doing my school work and not fail a class and the struggles to buy books and afford food since it’s expensive. But hopefully this semester I’ll do better and receive the grade I was hoping for.

I believe that it is a great community college with a lovely student life. There are many clubs to join, people to meet, and friends to make. I'd recommend coming to El Camino College to anyone who is thinking of taking the junior college route. The professors here are amazing and always willing to help. The campus is beautiful and up to date with technology. Though there are no greek life related clubs, there are many clubs that range from: art club, pre-med club, science club, cosmetology club, biology club, drama club, asb (student council), etc. I think the best thing about El Camino College is their sports teams. El Camino College is very competitive in just about all their sports. We have a brand new football stadium with new locker rooms. An amazing athletic training facility with high end technology. They're currently building a new volleyball gym near the football stadium that should be done by next spring hopefully. Athletics is a popular thing with this campus but if that's not your cup of tea there's more than just that to the student life. A major plus about this campus is there is so much parking! Whether you're finishing up your prerequisite courses for medical school, trying to take a class to learn how to swim, or coming to a community college to avoid the expenses at a university, El Camino College is the school for you!Not only is the school amazing, the city around it is just as good. There are local restaurants to eat from in case you get hungry in between classes such as: McDonald's, Subway, Pita 360, Chic-Fil-A, Taco Bell, Krispy Kreme, Starbucks, and so much more.

faith

El camino college is a great school with great opportunities. They have outsatnding professors that are ready to teach you and give you help whenever its needed. There are resources provided in the school that would enhance your learning like the library, the writing and reading centre, the student services centre, the tutoring centre, and many more. The professors are not the only ones a student can meet, you could also visit the counselling office for advice or talk to them, they are always there to listen to you. And also, the classes are accomodative for learning.

Diego

El Camino is the best community college in the area. The course work is rigorous and thoroughly prepares individuals that plan on transferring to University. The faculty overall is truly encouraging and will go the extra mile for students that are invested in their learning. There is no school that's out of reach for those that are transferring from El Camino. The student population is unbelievably diverse. I personally have been classmates with Lawyers, Business owners, High ranking Police Officers and the like. The affordability of the school and the standards that it has set for itself attracts people from various backgrounds that are looking to diversifying their skill set and enriching their lives. These people are around but they never flash their status. In El Camino, we're all genuinely equals as students.

Kara

El Camino College is a great community college where you can easily network with peers. However, there is inconsistency when it comes to facilities and academics. For example, the Math & Humanities Buildings are more modern and well kept compared to the Art & PE facilities. Additionally, the spread of good and bad professors is very broad and sometimes makes it hard to participate and take a class because the professor is not helpful and/or confusing. However, there are some really great professors at El Camino that help you get involved in programs and make the most out of your time at El Camino. Personally, I think the inconsistency of professors is the biggest problem.

Eric

I am a college student going to El Camino College. I am aiming to get my Associates degree in music. I have been in the applied music program for about 4 semesters now. El Camino college offers a music program that helps students improve their musicality. They get lessons with a teacher 1 on 1 and they get the opportunity to perform in front of people.

Andrew

I am very grateful to be a part of such a great community college. Before enrolling, I had a very weird feeling about the environment and reliability of the education system. However, I have realized that there are many great community colleges throughout the world. It feels like a perfect transition setting from high school to a university. I am very honored to attend El Camino College.

Jamie

El Camino Community College District is a good school. I love the classes and how the professors teach the classroom. The professors make sure the students are paying attention and are not vague when ti comes to explaining. the classroom size are pretty good. some classes may have more students than others but in the long-run the whole classes at the same pace and the professors make sure that they are able to answer all questions and are definitely available during their office hours.

I truly enjoy El Camino College. The campus life on campus is friendly and helpful. Even the professor are friendly and knows what they are doing.

El Camino is a great school to go to if university is not a affordable option. They have some great staff and resource centers that are avaible to anyone. There is really no worry about safety at the school. The police station is literally in the parking lot of the school and the police check around the school often.

Manahil

My opinion about El Camino is that it is a very affordable and great college. It is great for students who recently graduated from high school because El Camino provides several programs like FYE to help new students. The campus is really neat and nice. The food is quite good and also there are many places near the college for food.

Kaytlin

El Camino is an amazing school, I feel completely motivated to do better with my studies in subjects I struggle the most in due to the open access and help of tutors. The campus has many different places to access information about the school, a certain program and even your education plan. There are many counselors on campus willing to help and guide you in the right direction.

Joshua

El Camino College is a good junior college that is accessable and affordable. It has many programs available for students in order to be successful. One program is called the First Years Ed. program that helps students plan and register for their classes and gets them involved in various educational groups. It's a great option for students that want to begin their higher education but can't afford to attend a college or university right out of high school. It's also a great place to attend if a student wants to explore a variety of subjects before deciding on a major without incurring all of the costs that come with a traditional 4 year college.

daaiyah

The college is a good place to receive your general education and transfer from but it is not the type of place you want to stay for long. There's not a lot of extra-curricullar activities and the clubs are not very fun. Politics on campus isn't very active. Overall, the student body is un-unified and people generally just stay in their own groups.

Wiley

El Camino College has been very beneficial for myself, my education, and my overall success. This Institution alone has well prepared me for the next level, a University level education. From having professors, counselors, and administrators who understand the everyday life and individual struggles of students, to having numerous resources available throughout the campus. I will be happy to be called an alumni of this prestigious Institution.

Russia

El Camino is a great transition school. Class sizes are not too big and professors always have office hours available to students who want help. Affordable and valuable education that gets students started on the path to achieving their academic and career goals.

Lasani

I am a freshman at el camino community college. It's my first semester. So far I love everything. There is a huge library and there's a planetarium too. All the people are friendly, staff and students. The staff is always there for anyone with a ptoblem. Also the college is covered by the community police so it's much safer.

Joshua

I transferred here from the University of Washington-Tacoma, and now I'm eager to transfer back next fall. When it came to transfer credits, I spoke to three different counselors and they each gave me wildly varied responses on what credits would transfer and which ones wouldn't. My experience so far has been really negative. The out of state tuition is outrageous for the amount of support you actually get. Most of the personnel working in the financial aid/scholarships/registration offices act like you're bothering them whenever you come in for assistance. The campus police are a joke, as they tried ticketing me because they thought I hadn't paid for parking despite the fact that my ticket was clearly visible on the dashboard. Teachers are hard to reach outside of class, and most seem like they don't even want to be there to teach in the first place. I can see why the graduation rate for this school is so low, this place is a dysfunctional mess.

We may be a junior college but the biggest priority of the staff and faculty is to help students get out instead of wasting more than 2 years in their institution. There are dozens of professors that have taught in other surrounding big name schools from USC to CSULB. The classes never get any larger than 50 students so it has a more personal learning experience, you can always talk to professors either before, after and durning office hours. The campus is open and never seems too crowded. One down side can be the lack of spaces during rush hour in the most popular parking lot but there are 3 other lots that driver can choose from that will never get filled.

Daniel

I am about to graduate from El Camino College and transfer to California State University Long Beach. In my two years at El Camino I have found my stay very beneficial and rewarding. Yes they may not have the greatest food, they may not have the most intelectual conversations out of class, and yes they may have the most terrible food, but the kids going to school here aren’t about any of these things nor just wanting to live an awesome college life. They are there for their futures. To start off their acedemic careers, learn, and become something more in life. That is something El Camino excels at and it is a highly recommended College by me.

DANNY

Though El Camino Community College is small, it's professors are always glad to speak to enthusiastic students and are willing to go the extra mile in almost all the classes I've been in. They are definitely there to help the student succeed. It is worth attending and talking to the professors.

Ariel

I believe El Camino College is an amazing school with many opportunities they have to offer. El Camino is filled with many warm heartedly kind students from all over the state whose purpose is to do great. Not to mention all the amazing professors and faculty members who teach with such enthusiasm and hope for a brighter future.

Daishan

I LOVE IT HERE! I loved the ducation I got, the resources are avaible everywhere on campus, there is always someone there to help you out, the teachers I had and met on this journey has been amazing, and the enviroment is amazing. I enjoyed all 5 years i stayed at el camino. I know that is not the overall idea of how long to stay, but they made me feel like i could do it and the support they give you makes you feel at home.

Keith-Lavors

Overall, El Camino College is a very great Community College. The school is set up to challenge you academically so you are ready for the next step. With that being said, prepare for a host of challenging classes, boring classes, and Instructors who do care and others who will not care.

Diana

My overall opinion of El Camino is it is a great community college. The campus is very clean and active during the day. Normally students feel safe during the day, but evenings and nights are more scary because there are hardly people on campus, which makes the walk to your car very scary. There have been incidents before where people get mugged, still with more cops on patrol I do not feel safe. However, the educational part of El Camino is very satisfactory. Professors are passionate about teaching and make it fun for students. There may be the occasional professor where you teach yourself, but overall I have loved my professors. They are always there if you need help and they are also flexible with their office hours. I have also learned a lot about life lessons with their seminars. All in all, I would recommend this college to anyone granted choose morning and afternoon classes.

El Camino is a great college with great professors who are engaging and attentive. There’s great extracurricular activities and students there are very respectful and kind. The campus is clean and the campus food is decent. El Camino is a great college to attend before transferring to University.

Edward

I think it has great facilities with more to come, they definitely need better ticket machines for parking, the teachers overall are great and genuinely care for your education. Also the food is really good cooked right in front of you and can always guarantee good service.

Crystal

I like how the professors are there to give you advice on life and teach you about the subject. They’re always there for the students to give them the best education and are available during office hours. The classrooms are small so it’s nice to interact with the professors too instead of a huge classroom.

Garrett

The questions above mostly pertain to 4-year university students, so this overall review will be my full opinion on El Camino College. One thing to keep in mind is that I am a Computer Science major, therefore I only really know about the Math and Science Departments. As the selection of answers were limited, I'll explain my opinion further in this section. As El Camino is a community college therefore there is no on-campus living. Sports teams do exist at El Camino, but most students choose not to participate. From the few friends I've made on campus, each one has been knowledgeable of current events and politics. On many occasions we've argued our personal political beliefs peacefully. There are art displays from time-to-time, but nobody I know has ever participated. I've only ever taken day-time classes, so I've always felt pretty safe. As I've met with many professors, they often spend their office hours alone, so asking questions is usually a quick process. Drug and alcohol aren't a problem (to my knowledge). From time-to-time I hear about parties students attend, but such events are out of sight for focused students. El Camino has no fraternities, but a variety of interesting clubs such as the Board-game, Cyber Security, and Honors clubs. El Camino is a great community college filled with lots of positives. Focused students can transfer to their dream colleges with hard work and determination. Professors aren't busy with research projects, so they are usually happy to assist students. Overall, the school should be given more respect as it has helped me mature before my time at my four-year university.

Talar

El Camino is a very clean campus. There are many resources to help pass each and every class. It is affordable and Professors are usually available for students. They are ready to help with whatever the student needs. There are many opportunities to find whatever you need.

Melody

Overall, I believe El Camino College is not as bad as people claim it to be. Once I started attending, I instantly noticed the warmth of the El Camino students and faculty. The professors want you to succeed and the students are always helping one another to do well. Everybody is on the same team and that is something that has helped me to do well in my classes.