Torrance, CA
El Camino Community College District

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend El Camino Community College District

Michele

Some students are very dedicated to their work and there are a handful that just seem to be there to pass the time, this is usally in the GE courses.

Ignore the losers and burnouts around you. Stick with the kids that have goals. Meet more people and expand your circle of friends. Don't worry if you don't fit into what is cool none of that will matter. Stand up for yourself and make your voice herd in class. Be a leader not a follower. School is fun when you have the ability to choose your own curriculum, you will want to study and do well. Join the campus clubs and get involved. Keep an open mind when dealing with the students around you; you don?t know everyone?s story. Take early classes, you get better parking. And pack a lunch, it's cheaper and healthier.

shanon

Finish High School with straight A's. Apply yourself to do your best. Go straight to college without taking a break, otherwise it will take you YEARS to finish.

It is too far from where I live now. However I am still attending.

Calla

My school is a wonderful learning environment with professors who are very skilled and knowledgeable in their fields and a very diverse and interesting student population.

I would tell my high school senior self : "Do not worry about your future and please continue with your education. I know that highschool has been rough and it seems like you'll get nothing out of school, but the real world is different. College is the way school is SUPPOSED to be with interesting topics and the teachers have actually spent much time studying what they are teaching. You will find subjects that you didn't even know existed and meet people and professors that you'll be able to have incredible conversations with about things you're interested in. You will be given the chance to show and develop your intelligence and you'll be excited to go to class again. With time, you will soon be able to find what you want to do with your life and have goals you can work towards. The things you study in class will interest you so much that you will continue reading about them after the classes are over and the information will broaden your world and bring you peace of mind. I hope you're excited to start college because it will be an amazing experience for you."

Someone who isn't interested in learning or prepared to do work should not attend this school. Many people don't take community college seriously. If someone is not interested in the material or serious about their education they shouldn't be there beecause they will be ruining the class for other students who actually want to learn. Also a student who has no goals should not be there. Although this is a place to figure out what one wants to do with their future, It's a waste of time to be taking classes aimlessly.

Kirsty

If I could go back to my life in high school knowing what I know now, I would have a lot to say. I would start by telling myself that I want to be a nursing major rather than a business major. I would also let myself know that there is nothing wrong with going to community college before transfering to a bigger school. El Camino is great place to find yourself and figure everything out and while finding classes and parking may be a huge pain at times, I would reassure myself that it is all going to be worth it in the end.

The worst thing about El Camino is how impacted it is. This is the worst thing because when it gets down to having to be in specific classes for your major, it is sometimes tough to get into the classes you need and you end up having to waste time and money in classes that you don't need.

El Camino College is the perfect school for students who aren't sure what they want to major in. At El Camino, you can get a great education while saving a lot of money and you can really take your time to figure out what you are happy doing.

Esmeralda

if i can go back and talk to myself as a high school senior i would say never give up now, try your best to achieve your goals, don't let people say to you that you'll never make it to a UC. Don't put yourself down, don't fooll around in class, pay attention, go to class everyday, don't let the problems of your family come through your studies. Let that behind and keep your head up high and say you will be a successful person and achieve your dream of becoming a doctor. As well don't let the financial problems cause you your dreams of attending college.

it has a lot of construction going on.

the people of any background, its best to attend in El Camino College if your having financial problems or still very undecided of your career goals.

amanda

If I had the golden oppurtinuty to go back in time, as a high school senior, the advice i would give to myself is attitude towards my education. The academic differences between high school and college is probably the most critical changes that requires adjustment for a successful college first year experience. Classes in high school experience long hours and the attendance is mandatory. In college, no one is checking your attendance or even cares if you show up. All the responsibility falls on the students to get to class, take notes and ask questions. Failing one test in high school typically didn?t have too much of an affect on the overall grade. However this is not the case in college. Most tests and essays are worth a large percentage of the overall grade, making good exam preparation, class attendance and college study habits essential for success. It is very beneficial to make use of the professors office hours and teaching assistants. Teachers in high school take more of active role in students? lives, checking homework, reminding of deadlines and providing one-on-one help after class. College professors expect students to take charge of their academics.

LaShanda

Don't let temptation of campus parties hinder you from studying. Your grades is your top priority. Enjoy college life and strive to be the best you can be. Discipline is the key to achieving all that you set out to do. Look at the end results of the big picture. Graduation at the top of your class and the offers of employment that will be awaiting you.

Mylia

If I could go back in time and speak to the person I was as a high school senior I would tell myself that the struggle is well worth it, therefore, to take advantage of it. Transferring to a brand new charter school from an overcrowded public high school was a huge and difficult transition for me. I wasn't used to the teacher's paying attention to me, as well as actually grading our work, and it being a brand new charter school, I wasn't used to constant changes with grading, rules and uniform. I hated everyday of school, but now that I am in college, I appreciate every last bit of each stuggle I encountered. I see a difference in work quality and tolerance to large amounts of work between myself and students who attended a public school and there is such positive yet overwhelming differences. Today, I cannot complain about the challenges I faced because like the old saying goes, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and I truely believe that. I just wish I could go back and tell myself that from the start so I could appreciate it all that much more.

It takes a long time to get ahold of people who work in the offices over the phone. They either don't answer, put you on hold or transfer the phone call to another person who then, also, takes a long time to get to you.

I think this is a college that any student can attend whether you know what you want to major in or are undecided. Just like any other college, the kind of person who shouldn't attent this school is the same kind of person who isn't ready for college in general nor ready to take their future seriously.

Marcella

If i could go back in time and put myself back into my senior year when I already have experience college, I would tell myself to be positive and never give up on my goals because they will come true. Most of all, if i knew i wasn't going to have enough money to support my education, I would apply for a lot of scholarships and grants so there was no worry about struggling to get some even in a bad economy like this. Most because I don't qualified for finacial aid. So i would tell myself to get ready for college because it something I want to do after high school and be finacially good knowing that I was going to be away from home. Also, to have faith in the lord and that there always someone to talk to when you need help. Never doubt myself and keep working hard because it will get better. Tell myself to challenge anything that comes in my way because it will help me later on with life and most of all, work hard in college because it will pay off later on in life!

When it comes to telling my friends about school, I tell them that college in the mainland is very different in Hawaii. I don't really brag but I just tell them that its a different experience from Hawaii. To me, I think college is just like high school but its mostly our choices that we do. I mostly tell them that I would want them to come in the mainland for college because there so much more things to experience in college than back at home in Hawaii. More than anything, all colleges is a place to learn!

The most frustrating thing about my school, is paying your fees on time. There is a deadline to pay everything but i thinks its too short because every time i just pay something, it feels like only a week went by and I have to pay another thing. It really kills me because I'm dealing with school, church and volleyball at the same time and i think it would be great just to get a little cash to help me get through this. School is great, just the deadlines are driving me crazy.

Meredith

You will never learn how to swim if you just linger by the side of the pool. Plunge into college even if at first it seems you have to flail madly to stay afloat. There will be times when you will be submerged in work, when assignment after assignment will drag you to the very bottom of everything. Just focus on your next breath and you will survive it. In time, you will become stronger and you will wade above where you once struggled. If you stay in the water long enough, you will adapt to greater and greater challenges. Before you know it, you will be doing backstroke, sidestroke, freestyle, and butterflies back and forth across the pool. Just before you feel wholly comfortable in this environment, you will graduate. The swimming lesson will not end there. The pool of college is just a warmup. After graduation you will merely continue the same education... in the ocean.

My school serves a wide demographic of people. Classes here allow me to interact with people who have different backgrounds and values from my own and I feel that I grow as a person while I develop academically.

There seem to be a lot of things operating at the management level that do not make much sense. For example, new buildings are erected and flashy advertisements are made at the same time that vital programs are elliminated. The campus is constantly under renovation and most of the renovations seem counter-productive. After a month of relaying asphalt, the construction crews return only to undo their previous work and spend the next month working on landscape, which they then dig up and cover with asphalt once more. If I were an administrator, I would focus more on eductation.

El Camino Community College District administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.