Elizabeth City State University

« See more reviews of Elizabeth City State University

There are a lot of differences between high school and college both socially and academically. The academic challenge is probably the most crucial and requires the most adjustments for a successful first year of college. During high school, class attendance is mandatory and the academic success of the student is monitored closely by the parents, teachers and administration of the school. In college, the student has more of the responsibility for their own academic success, and although they have a strong amount of support, the student is forced to make choices that will guarantee a successful outcome. The ability to prioritize and to organize is of upmost importance to the college student. Unlike the high school student that may have parents or teachers to keep them on point, the college student must be self-motivated. In retrospect, my advice to others would be to stay focused on what is most important, your academic studies. Extracurricular activities should not dominate and overtake you, but you as the student must find a balance between extracurricular activities and academics. Learning to organize and prioritze while in high school will be beneficial to the college experience and life after college in the career field.

If i could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior about the transition into college, the number one piece of advice i would give myself would be to stay organized. Without organization throughout college, you can quickly spiral into an abyss of falling behind in school and extra stress. Always plan out your days around class and homework that needs to be done, whether it is due tomorrow or in two weeks. This will help minimize procrastination that eventually leads to the infamous college "all-nighters". I would tell myself that there is no dumb question in the classroom, and to never be afraid to confront my professors with any issues i am having with their classwork. The last thing i would tell myself is that college is not all about going to class, writing papers and taking exams, and that it is okay to have a little fun. College will likely produce some of the moments you tell your grandchildren about. It will be up to you to blance how much fun you have, with the schoolwork you must complete in order to graduate and become a successful person in today's society.

College has been a great experience for me thus far. I believe choosing to continue my education was one of the best decisions I could make for myself. I would not change the fact that I would make the decision to go to college. I would basically tell myself to remain focused and make sure I do everything to the best of my ability. The main thing I would tell myself is to become involve in any organization that I was capable of. At my university I have realized that being involved in different groups and organizations can play a major role. It is a chance to for you to get to know others. When it came to scholarships many asked for involvement in organizations at school. Another major thing is that you should do much volunteering as possible. Many schools look into that and there are many opportunities for this at colleges and universities. You are getting a chance to help people and it allows you to build relationships with the organization or people you have volunteered for. The key to just about anything is communication. It does not hurt to show others that you exist.

Id like to start by saying that before I was accepted to attend UTI in Rancho Cucamonga I was desperate to return every sacrafice my parents ever made so that I could have wonderful life that many kid's never get to expierience. My mother defected from communist Romania in 1974 in pursuit of freedom in the United States. When she arrived in the country she had two hundred dollars in her pockets and the responsibility of lmmediately finding work and a place to stay. My fathers side of the family were also immigrants from China with the same responsibilties upon arriving in the U.S. I feel so accomplished to have the oppurtunity to recieve the proper training to start a career that will not only grant me the life I've always wanted, but also give my parent's a chance to see, all their struggle's in life really paid off, Finally they can live the real American Dream. We will be able to build memories they couldn't possibly have imagined before I had this oppurtunity, UTI really changed my path in life greatly. Im so thankful, and this scholarship would help me greatly as well.

The first thing I'd tell myself is to not be so afraid. High school is nothing like a university. The people are more accepting, more open and free, and are probably just as nervous as everyone else when first starting out. The second thing I'd say to myself is to speak up. Your personality should be bold and unique when stepping onto a campus. This is the place where people are looking for future employees. Of course it's okay to be a bit shy and off-set when it's the first semester, but it's always best to come out of your shell little by little each passing day. If not, all the "once in a lifetime" opportunities could pass by. Things are so much freer in college and anything is possible. Lastly, I'd say to myself, " PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY"! I've had enough of living day by day, having to choose between gas or food. Search for a job, be confidant at the interview, KEEP THE JOB, and most importantly, save for a rainy day. They will always appear at the most inconvenient times. Life is life. Be prepared for anything.

The advice I would give to parents/or students about finding the right college and making the most of the college is experience is for one, try to find a school that will give your child a full ride or at least an opportunity to go to school for free to prevent of being in so much debt after graduation. Also for the student make sure it is the type of environment you want to be in, but even you don't want to be in such environment then you could always be your own individual and split yourself away from that environment with the exception of making friends and knowing when to be around different things. Don't try to fit in, just be yourself and you will go far. Once you get to college, students don't flunk out trying to fit in or being something that you're not because at the end of the day just be yourself and you will do good when most won't. Also before you join any organizations get familiar with the organizations and clubs and also become very acquainted with your professors because that will take you very far.

If I had the opportunity to go back in to talk to myself, as a high school student, I would warn myself of the culture shock that I would experience. I would advise myself about work and school balance, procrastinating with work, and the many different influences’. When in high school it seem easy to balance work and school; however, in college it is not as simple to balance the two, because it takes more daily planning to allow everything to equal out. During high school, I did my share of procrastinating in getting my papers and projects done, but in college I have to get everything completed well before it is due, because waiting until the last minute will not result in the best grade. If I were able to step back into time, I would advise myself about the many different influences that lurk around the campus, both good and bad, and of how I could tell the difference. If I had more prior knowledge about college life my transition, from high school to college, could have been easier.

If I could go back in time to when I was in high school, I would have listened to my parents when they told me to take things seriously. I would have put forth a lot more effort when it came to my school work because after I graduated I could have been a whole lot further with my education. When i graduated from high school instead of taking the route of working, I would have went straight to college instead of waiting. My parents told me that it was going to be a lot harder trying to get back into the swing of things but i was very persistant about taking a break. I got a great job working for the state but I realized that I wanted so much more out of life and by working that job I wasnt reaching my highest potiental. So I knew that i wanted to work in the medical field but just wasnt sure exactly what I wanted to do. So I did a little research and decided on Radiology. I just wish I would have done a little more research as far as schools because the short mods arent enough.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I’d encourage her to take some college classes her senior year because the classes would be free and that she’d be getting a head start on her GE classes. I’d also tell her to get a job to save up for some college materials and apply for financial aid and scholarships just so she can be more independent and learn the responsibilities involving money. Knowing that she’d focus on getting her degree as a healthcare professional, I’d recommend her to volunteer at hospitals and clinics just to get experience, create network, and get a feel of what health care professions there are. Another thing, I’d also tell her to take college courses more seriously but still have some time to have fun. College is not a race against anyone, it is a place to grow up, find yourself, learn, and explore new possibilities. So, if you make mistakes don’t be too hard on yourself just fix it because I believe in you!!

I have gotten the chance so far to begin becoming well trained and proficient in my career choice of Air Traffic Control. I go to class with a positive attitude and practice scenarios in lab everyday while trying my hardest and pushing myself to be the best that I can be! I want to excel at a career I am so passionate about achieving. Next semester I will be taking 16 credit hours, working part-time and will be fulfilling a minimum requirement of 24 hours of lab time scenarios, which I plan to greatly exceed to get all the practice I can. I am dedicating a year of my life and all the money I have saved to reach my goal. I know I am just one of billions doing this same thing but I know I have it in me to be successful, so I am taking the opportunity this beautiful country has given to me and I am aspiring to fulfill my dream. I’ve challenged myself in various environments and I’ve used them to find out who I am; I’ve used them to find my passion.