Emmanuel College-Boston Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Emmanuel College-Boston

Shaniah

Overall, I enjoy attending Emmanuel College. It's a nice, small campus and while I feel as though there isn't much diversity among the students, I feel like there are efforts made to address the issue. Overall, it has and will continue to be a positive experience in my life.

Catherine

An excellent choice if you're looking for a small college in a big city. The construction currently on campus is a bit of a pain, but otherwise it's a pretty campus with generally friendly people. And the location is awesome- you're within walking distance of anything you could need, especially with the T stop nearby. Overall, I've had a very enjoyable experience here.

Mae

Emmanuel College is a great place to be. The location is great because there are a lot of places that are accessible. Most things are in walking distance. There are great food places to visit. Some places that are close by are Fenway Park and the Museum of Fine Arts (get in for free with student Id). Everyone here is genuinely nice and there is always someone to help out, whether you need help academically or financially. The college really enforces the safety and care for the students as well. The class sizes are not too big, which gives you a chance to interact more with the professor. This college is great for those who want a balance between city life, a great education and a supportive community.

Janelle

It was my first choice!!!!

I think its a great school because the professors listen to your opinions in class and the campus is small and easy to navigate. It is also close to a few T stops and Target which is nice. The food is also really good. The only thing they need are bigger rooms for triples.

Sonja

Emmanuel is the ideal college for somebody who is searching for a big city experience while also having a small town feel on campus. The location of Emmanuel is perfect for exploring the city of Boston and all the wonderful opportunities that lie in the fast-paced city life (work opportunities, museums, tons of nearby universities, parks, Fenway park, etc.). The location of the college is in the Fenway neighborhood, with several nearby colleges and a large park right across the street. The public transportation system gives students the opportunity to easily and cheaply get around the city of Boston. At the same time, the Emmanuel College campus and population is quite small, allowing for a small community feel. Students get to know their professors on a more personal level, if they choose to. The classes are challenging enough to give you a good education, but not too difficult to make it through. The class size is usually always under 20 students. The staff on campus is very friendly and accommodating; they're always trying to give you the best college experience. For a small college Emmanuel offers very nice facilities. The cafeteria is nice, and the food is excellent! There are vegan and vegetarian options, as well as constantly changing menu of meals that are prepared in front of your very own eyes. There also is a desert bar and a salad bar. The campus has two gym facilities for those who are into exercise. There are plenty of "hang-out" areas, providing students with opportunities to socialize or have late night study sessions. Campus housing is available for those who are interested. The freshman housing is not necessarily the most glamorous option, but it does keep you within a 5 minute walk of your classes as well as all the other facilities on campus. For upperclassmen, there are better housing options with more modern amenities. Also, living in Boston opens the door to many opportunities of living off campus. However, it may be pricey to those who want to stay near campus. Emmanuel is recommendable to students who want to get a good education and have a close-knit campus experience, while also having the option to go out for a fun night in the city. This is not a huge party school and there are no Emmanuel fraternities. The college does offer a variety of clubs and opportunities to play sports. If you're looking for division one sports, this is not the place for you. The sports teams are average, but there are also several opportunities for recreational sports. Emmanuel College is one of the Fenway colleges, meaning you can cross-register with other colleges in the area, like MassArt, Wentworth, Wheelock and Simmons.

Alexi

Emmanuel is a great school in a wonderful place with so much to do. Emmanuel is located in Boston Massachusetts, which personally I find to be the ideal location. It has the small campus feel in the largest city in MA. The school provides a wide array of areas of study which is essential for the undecided student like me. Overall I believe it is a school that every prospective college student should look in to.

It is such a wonderful school with kind-hearted people. I am so excited that I will be attending this campus in the fall. The moment I walked on campus I realized that every student was there to live out a purpose in life: to help and impact the lives of those they come in contact with.

Alexa

Emmanuel College is a great school but it is definitely not the right fit for everyone. The campus is dry (all drugs/alcohol prohibited), so there is very little partying on-campus. Since the college is centrally located in the Fenway/Longwood area in Boston, most students go to parties at nearby Boston University and Northeastern University. However, if academics are your priority, Emmanuel the right place for you! Students at Emmanuel are expected to be motivated and involved! Attendance in classes is mandatory, and professors will know each student individually. The small size of the school allows for many opportunities that are not offered at large universities. Classes are not taught by TAs, and professors are always available during office hours for individual review. There are a multitude of fantastic resources for students who are struggling academically, and most professors (in my experience) are kind and helpful. The location of Emmanuel College could not be any better! A short walk from Fenway Park, the closed campus provides a small-college vibe in the middle of New England's greatest city! There are plenty of stores and restaurants in the neighborhood, including Target, Star Market, Panera Bread, Starbucks, CVS, Chipotle, and TJ Max, as well as attractions such as the popular music venue Boston House of Blues! The public transportation system in Boston is one of the best in the country, so students at Emmanuel can easily visit places like The Prudential Center, Newbury Street, and Boston Commons. Emmanuel's campus is beautiful and well-kept. Buildings are continuously renovated and the college continues to expand. The dorms are cleaner and nicer than the dorms at some of the nation's top schools (I'm looking at you, Brown University), and the front desk of each dorm is staffed by a student worker or a security guard twenty-four hours a day. Additionally, students must use their ID to swipe into dormitories and their rooms. This ensures the safety of all students. Overall, Emmanuel is a great (and underrated) school that more students should consider. My biggest complaint is that because the school is so small, everyone tends to know everyone else's business. There are many cliques on campus, which breeds unnecessary drama. However, this is definitely avoidable, and once you find a great group of friends your Emmanuel experience will be one you'll cherish forever!

Sydney

Emmanuel College is a great school to learn and grow at but if you are looking for a social life this is not the school for you. Emmanuel College is so small that it feels like I never left high school. The sports teams suck and they do not even have a wide variety of sport teams.

While I don't live on campus and commute It is a great college, and so much to do in or around the college. There is always activities or clubs you can join. Or events to go attend. The faculty is very pleasant and always willing to help which is great. I enjoy my classes and the people I have with them. There is nothing here to make me not want to be a student here.

Maria

Emmanuel is a school with 30 or less class sizes Professors who care about you And random students always looking out for you are never alone The good thing about the small school experience is that you are not one in 100 you are known and recognized.

Mike

Emmanuel College is a nice college located in the Fenway area of Boston. Depending on what type of person you are, there is always something to do. There are many events held on campus, or on the nearby campuses of other colleges. The atmosphere at Emmanuel College is relaxed and very student driven, people here like to volunteer. Food is pretty good, better on some days and worse on others. It is important to like the person you live with because there are no such things as a single for housing.

Emmanuel is a small, tight-knit community all about academics and community service. When I first attended Emmanuel, I thought it was going to be a very Catholic influenced school, but the school is open to all walks of faith without any judgment. The clubs on campus are all very diverse and there is definitely something for everyone. The location of Emmanuel is, in my opinion, one of the best locations for a college in Boston. There is always something to do in the Fenway area.

The school is overall, very nice. It is in a very good location and has many surrounding schools to meet new people. It is close to places like the MFA and the Prudential center. Fenway park is also close by and any other part of Boston is a train ride away. The campus is nice. If you like small campuses where you can get to class in 5 minutes from any point on campus it is a good size. The academics are not too challenging but also not super easy. The flaws with the school would be with the different offices on campus. Not every office is great about emailing back on time or answering questions. Also the people here can be very cliquey and it seems like a high school sometimes. The other problem is with the housing. WE have more students than housing available and the dorms themselves can be gross. It is a hassle to have guests over even if they also go to school with you. Overall, not a bad experience.

Nina

I like Emmanuel because of it's location in the city for the most part, but the campus also feels secluded which is nice at times too. The facilities are almost all new which is great and class sizes are small which makes it easy to be close with professors. Emmanuel could improve in aspects of their on campus housing, however, they are building a high rise for students to live on campus so this may solve that problem. Overall, I enjoy Emmanuel.

Alison

From the two years I've spent so far at Emmanuel College I can truly say that I love this school. I chose Emmanuel because of the size and location of the school. Emmanuel is located in the Fenway area of Boston and is a relatively small school. The size of the school was a big factor when deciding on where to go because of the individualized attention professors are able to give the students in smaller classes. Boston is an amazing city and the Fenway area has much to offer, the obvious being the prime location of Fenway Park, but also so much more, such as countless museums, restaurants, and other universities nearby. I can't imagine myself at another school and look forward to continuing my studies at Emmanuel for the next two years.

Brooke

What is there not to say about Emmanuel College in the heart of the city of Boston? The faculty is extremely involved in the success of the students. Something I have seen at Emmanuel I haven’t seen anywhere else is peer tutoring in the student services department. On my college tour, debating on enrollment, I fell head over heels with this school. I knew I would be taken care of here. Doctors in the psychology department, athletic coaches, admission and financial aid faculty take their thorough time discussing with you, making you a priority to them. I genuinely feel important to the staff at Emmanuel and not just another number. I hope to enroll by May 1 & I highly recommend to anyone considering!

Diane

If you want a small school with great classes, this is for you. If you're looking for absolutely anything else- probably not. Drinking isn't big and everybody goes home on the weekends. The dining hall food is slim pickings and it is absolutely awful- took months of being sick to somewhat adjust to whatever they cook the food in. Most people are locals and are also rather "privileged." The drug scene is huge, and most of the people here are not intellectually involved outside of the classroom. As far as extracurriculars go- we have a good girls' basketball team. But other than that nobody attends events, because like I said, it's a small campus. If you don't care about your health, what you eat, or the types of people you're friends with- go here. Otherwise look somewhere else.

Emmanuel College is a perfect hybrid, as it is a small-campus college yet still encompasses that big-campus feel. This feature is what I enjoyed most about my four years at EC and is the element that allowed me to take advantage of every kind of experience you would want to encounter while away at school. Those benefits include: • Small classes (always 20 or less and even 10 or less at times), which meant more 1:1 time with my professors that I could reach out to for references, opportunities, or “ins” when it came to finding internships and post-graduate employment. • Likewise, smaller classes meant I became closer to fellow students – more connections that I’ve been able to collaborate with over the years. • As I lived on campus all 4 years, the furthest walk to my classes was 2 minutes (and if you need to walk to the library on campus its 4, which I dramatically hated). • Once you leave the gates of EC, the city of Boston is your playground – It was hard not to find somewhere to spend your free time, from museums and theatres, shopping, and restaurants, to scenic places perfect for running or yoga (not to mention a plethora of volunteer, internship, and work opportunities). • If you want to live off-campus, there a several neighborhoods close by to find an apartment (Allston and Mission Hill). • Depending on your major, you have opportunities to take some interesting courses. There are general educational requirements to fulfill, but there are a lot of options that usually are not a bummer to get through (I took a Sexuality and Relationships course for my Religion requirement and it ended up being one of my favorites). • Being in a city can seem scary considering the stories you may hear on the news, but I always felt safe on campus. Some not so good qualities: • I found that the academic advisor assigned to you the first three years was lacking in qualities you’d think would come with your relationship with them. • You really need to take advantage of Boston more than Emmanuel (depending on your work ethic and tenacity, you should be able to gauge whether you can be successful and responsible with the opportunities presented at large to you). • Administration can be slow and almost seem like a second job tracking down the person you want to get in contact with.

Alina

I transferred to EC and it was the best decision that i could have made. I felt really comfortable on the little campus in the big city. There is always a ton of things happening in Boston and the campus culture is very comfortable. The class sizes are small enough that you really get to know your teachers.

I enjoy going to Emmanuel College. The school has made me grow into an independent individual capable of navigating a big city. Before coming to Emmanuel I relied on the people around me instead of myself to get things done. Going to Emmanuel I learned how to depend on myself with the help of professors to lean on when I needed an adult for guidance. Overall, Emmanuel has given me ample opportunities to prosper into a successful young adult.

Daniella

I liked how small the school was and the professors. The problems arise from the administration and housing. I was in a single for a while because my previous roommates moved in with their friends. On Friday I get an email explaining how a girl could be moving into my room, and I believed I had a choice in saying I didn't want her to move in. Plus from what I heard from other students, this girl was a delinquent and we wouldn't be compatible. I voiced my concerns and was told to suck it up. I had also had two terrible roommate experiences beforehand, but that was also ignored. I find out my new roommate has assault and battery with a deadly weapon charge, is on parole, and the reason she moved out of the other room was that she beat someone up in there. It was my friends and my own research that uncovered this. I was not told this at all and expected to be ok living with a criminal. My safety was not taken into account. This school doesn't care about your safety only your money. Save yourself the stress and don't come. The only people that care about you are your professors. Administration and housing couldn't care less about you, as long as you pay they don't care if you get assaulted or feel unsafe. I love all my friends, but I can't handle having constant panic attacks and being told I need to suck it up and live with someone who has assaulted numerous people, and is being protected instead of expelled.

Amy

Coming from someone who has crosss-registered within the Colleges of the Fenway, I love Emmanuel's classes with all my heart. As a science major, it's very important that I am challenged in the subject and am able to learn as much as possible so I can succeed as a graduate. Because Emmanuel is a liberal arts school in an area where science is booming, the professors push you with very difficult science courses. If you are unfit for the rigor, you are able to change your path and save your money and time, versus other schools that may water down the course or curve your grades. That being said, on top of the inclusive community and warm atmosphere, I am so happy I chose this school.

Naomi

The city environment is what makes the school a place to be aside of the good academics. From my own personal experience I know that when I was overwhelmed with work I was able to take a break and go out to the city. Other colleges didn't have the uniqueness that Emmanuel college has.

Allison

The faculty here at Emmanuel always looks out for what is best for students. There isn't a single faculty member here who wants you to fail. When it comes to the classes, as long as you manage your time wisely you will 100% be successful. There are various resources on campus that you should take advantage of (peer tutoring, databases, office hours). When it comes to dorm life I do not feel safe because I unfortunately have not had the best of luck with roommates. However, when it comes to dorm size and bathrooms everything is perfect. The RA's always have fun events that help make the dorm life a slight bit better during a hectic week.

Peyton

Overall I feel that I have received a strong education here through my classes and extracurricular activities. The professors are all amazing, and I speak very highly of them. The variety of majors is a positive as well. The city is amazing as well, and there's always lots to do.

Samuel

I believe Emmanuel College-Boston is a strong community based school, where all the students work together and are happy to be at this school. At a campus tour, the guides firmly illustrated the importance of safety at their school, which is very important to me, and my future peers. I believe Emmanuel College-Boston is a place where I can truly find my place in the world and discover the importance of community, in a group of different, but fully equal, mature adults.

Emmanuel College has become my home over the last four years, and I am sad to be graduating in May. I have met my life-long best friends at Emmanuel and can't imagine what my life would be like without the people I have met and the opportunities I've been granted here.

Shianne

Overall, Emmanuel is not for everyone. There is very little diversity, they have a student run club called Black Student Union (BSU), who main goal is getting more diversity on campus, not only in students but faculty and staff. Not all students are too open to meeting new people. The sports are tough to get into if you come from a charter, and are not persistent on the coach. The financial aid is tough to get a reasonable amount. Its major choices for education are slim. Lastly, their on campus events and clubs are not commuter friendly!

Ariana

I don't feel like it's the right place for me. Being a commuter student, Emmanuel makes me feel pretty isolated. I have had so much trouble making friends throughout the school year. The teachers that I have had so far didn't work for me. I didn't realize that by attending a Christian school, it would make me even more confused about my ideas on religion.

Joel

Student body is homogenous, apathetic, and lack passion due to socioeconomic background and sometimes race. Seperatism is prominent : people don't expand their horizons, and are not passionate about much except getting by. Iy's very egocentric in that sense, people don't change their views, so it isnt your typical college experience where you meet a plethora different people, (cliques stick to their cliques, and thats as much potential you're going to get for a social life). Academics here is nothing special here, clubs are tedious to manage as the SGA members make it difficult, there are extra-curriculars, but the options only cater to a few interests

Patrick

If you are looking for the perfect combination of city and school, then Emmanuel College is the place for you! Located at the famous Fenway Park, Fanueil Hall and the Boston Common are just a walk away, not to mention Chinatown and the theatre district. The Fenway Colleges work as a 20,000+ multi-campus cooperative with classes, intra-mural sports, and cafeterias, offering a large-school experience. On the other hand, many students never leave the Emmanuel campus which is a 17-acre gem in the heart of the city. Being in the big city, campus security is run by former Boston police so safety is never an issue and students lounge freely on the grassy quad. The campus is a dramatic study of contrasts: A new state-of-the-art science building stands next to a 100-year old administration hall. There study sessions in the library and esports in the conference hall. Students play volleyball and basketball in the gym while others rehearse in the theatre. At Emmanuel, there is really something for everyone in one of the best cities in the world.