Freed-Hardeman University

« See more reviews of Freed-Hardeman University

In order for a student to find the right college for them, one must first determine what they are looking for in a college like student/faculty relationship, average class size, extra curricular activities, sports teams, cost, location, values, etc. Students will be able to make these decisions through recommendations from peers or alumni, visiting the campuses, being put on admissions' mailing lists, visiting their websites, etc. Basically, one should apply to all the schools that one has a half an interest in and let the school sell themselves to him. Parents that are a part of this process would of course be more concerned with the college's location and cost as well as their acredidation. Parents can easily find this out by visiting colleges with their child or visiting the colleges' websites. A student can make the most out of their college experience by maintaining a balance between school-work and their social life. Academics are importante because, ultimately, the student is there to get a degree toward their career choice. In addition, one's social life should be maintained because college can also be an opportunity to make life-long friendships and meet one's potential spouse.

So much of the college search process seems to be focused simply and narrowly on matching career goals with perceived quality of degree programs or - on the other side - on which school has the best party life. Focusing your college search solely on these type of things (though the former [degree program] is important) results in an almost superficial college experience that can traslate to a somewhat hollow life beyond those few years. The quality of mutual student interaction and enrichment on campus can mean the difference in how you perceive the lasting effects of your college experience. If the college is simply the medium through which you can obtain a higher pay-grade job, then the possiblity for a deeper life transformation is lost. If you find a college atmosphere that affords such a student experience then immerse yourself in it. Far beyond the domain of the collegiate degree, the life-changing experiences of a college whose students and faculty truly bring you in as a part of thier family can pay far greater dividends throughout your life than if college was simply the place you earned your degree.

College is said to be "the times of your life" ; however, in reality, college is what YOU make it! College can be the greatest experiences you will ever encounter! It brings about new opportunities and freedoms you have never experienced before! My advice would be to truly cease each and every opportunity you are handed! Most of these opportunities will never come but once in your life, and there's no better time to open them welcomingly than these young years! I think when looking at colleges you need to consider where the student would feel most comfortable and happy! Being away from home may be tougher than you think and it is key to find people who can become your second family! Also, find schools that challenge you academically, because afterall, our education is the main reason we are attending school! When you pick your college make sure you branch out of your normal comfort zones, make new friends with people you normally wouldnt have thought about. These friendships can be forever lasting! Also, don't abandon your studies! Make memories! Make the old addage true, make it "the time of your life!"

PLEASE go visit at least 3 college campuses before you make your final decision. Consider that going to college in a different part of the country than where you grew up can offer unique cultural challenges. Look up the demographics for the cities where the colleges you are interested in are located and compare them with the demographics for your hometown. Consider how those demgraphics might affect you. Talk to as many upper-classmen on campus as you can (upper-classmen are juniors and seniors). Talk to faculty, but keep in mind they are trying to sell you the school where they teach. Be skeptical at first. Consider the cost of transportation and the availability of emploment should you need a job. Look at the campus housing and imagine yourself being in that situation for 4 years. Consider whether the student body seems to be diverse. Diversity is ALWAYS a plus. Think about how far you want to be from home, but don't let it keep you from going far. Don't study what people say you "should" study, study what interests you. Consider college a clean slate to begin a new life. Discover and Be yourself.

Dear Emily, College life is great; you will love it! All those things you're expecting, it's true. However, there is some advice you could use. First, talk to your future roommate more. Get to know her better. You might want to consider finding a new roommate. Secondly, though you will love college, you need to realize that it is a big adjustment. Living somewhere new with not many people you know takes some adjusting. You'll be fine, you will adjust great! Just don't let it get you down. Next, be confident in yourself. You have so many opportunities ahead of you and so many great potential friendships. Don't let your insecurities get in the way. Not everyone you meet will be your best friend, but keep meeting people, your best friends are out there. Also, stop trying to be friends with the ex-boyfriend. It's only going to frustrate you. Lastly, listen to dad when it comes to applying for scholarships and getting a job. You won't want to constantly worry about paying for college later, so do it now. And remember, with God first everything else will fall in place. Love, Emily

I began my college experience at Freed Hardeman University as a collegiate basketball player. That was a life long dream. I chose communications as my career as I was considering law and felt communication was essential part of being an effective lawyer. I didn't have good sports experience as I had numerous surgeries on the same knee and eventually was told - it would be too much for my knee to continue. Basketball is a true passion of mine so I struggled with this news ; I had always thought I would be playing for my entire college life. I made mistakes after this news but I know my experience there was invaluable as it taught me about true accountability and perserverence to get up and do what is needed despite a dream being destroyed. It also taught me to lean more on God to get me through and try to learn what I needed from this. I have since changed schools and majors. I have changed to Education / English and I am pursuing a teaching / coaching career. Looking back, this experience has allowed me to experience life on my own and make realize what my passions are.

College is not just about books, classroooms and education. It is about becoming a well-rounded person, able to stand on your own two feet, willing to reach out and help others, as well as working hard to make a future for yourself. The best way to make the most of college is to get involved, be active, be around people, don't sit in your room playing video games. Socialize, take part in all the activities that your college offers. Find people you like to make study groups with. Learning with friends makes it way more fun. Find people you can trust, make friends. TO find the right college you need to visit campuses, find what has the educatoinal needs you have, but also, which schools can fulfil your social needs as well. Everyone is different, accept that, and get out there and meet someone new! Make new friends everyday. Add them to your facebook. Parents, take your kids to visit the colleges, listen to what they see, participate in their lives. College is an amazing time if you make it to be just that! It is all a choice!

Were I able to travel back in time, I would first tell my high school self to begin immediately researching schools in the area. Travelling far away for college may seem exciting, I would continue, but in the end, homesickness and a lack of a feeling of belonging will eventually lead you to think otherwise. Before you even contemplate attending college, wherever you may decide that to be, you should first look into scholarships and financial aid. Paying for college has been an immense struggle, and with your GPA, you aren't eligible for many school awards or grants. But above all else, I would conclude, make absolute certain that wherever you attend, it's somewhere friends can be easily made. Whether far from home or within walking distance, gaining friends in college is vital, not only for companionship and social opportunities, but for business opportunities later in life. So begin now laying the foundations for your transition to college. You will need the ground work in place before you try to build your education.

First, decide how far you are willing to go for the eduction you want. Geographic proximity to home will greatly impact your post-secondary eduction. Next, find a school that has at least one major course of study that you feel passionate about pursuing. Remember that a majority of students change majors during their college years. Following that, find and talk to alumni and current students about the atmosphere of the school. Ask honest questions, and expect honest answers. Don't only believe paid representatives of the university. They are paid because they have a definite positive opinion of the school. Ask sources that are less biased. Tour the campus of as many schools as you can, and talk to students that you see. You will be able to better gauge the school's atmosphere and priorities that way. After that, find out what kind of financial aid the school realistically offers you, and read carefully. These are all important considerations to undertake when choosing the university that is right for you.

Parents need to realize that the choice of where their child attends college should be made by the child. This is a huge step on the road to independence and success. Children need to realize the responsibility of such a decision, and understand that their parents will always be there for them, but do not need to be their crutch. Children must honor their parents, and in turn parents need to respect their children as their grow and learn from their own choices, their own mistakes, and their own revelations. The child must find a school that they can feel comfortable and excited about attending. Parents should fully support whatever decision is made, and always be available to lend a word of advise when asked for. If children are ever going to learn to experience life as their own individual, they need to step out there and just do it! Yes, it will be hard. Yes, they will make huge mistakes. Yes... they will gain perspective and a deeper wisdom of the world around them. Live life. Love all. Give everything.