Washington, DC
Gallaudet University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gallaudet University

Meredith

When you're choosing a college, don't think about the kind of person you are when you're in high school - think about the kind of person you would like to become. If you want to be a high-powered executive, go to a school with a good program and a lot of prestige. If you want to be an artist, go to an art school in a cultural capital. If you really just want to be Joe Sixpack, go to a public school - you'll get the best experience with all kinds of people. If you truly, sincerely want to party, go to a party school. Who knows what you'll end up like later, but you'll definitely have had the best experience of your life at a party school. College is about leaving youth behind and becoming an adult, so focus on your future, not on how you are today. You'll find that choosing the right college can make a difference in a lot of things - money, finances, romance, and happiness. Choose carefully, choose well, and choose for YOU...not for your parents. (Parents, don't choose for your kids! Let them pick.)

My school is the best place for deaf and hard of hearing students to get a decent education. The academics may not be as rigorous as hearing schools, but you simply cannot beat the all-deaf environment. Everything is tailored for us, all undergraduate classes are taught in sign language, and it's truly the heart of the deaf community. Everything that an HBCU is to the black community, my school is to the deaf community. There's no better place than Gallaudet for a deaf student interested in liberal arts education.

If you're going to attend Gallaudet, be prepared for a party atmosphere pretty often. Some schoolwork gets done, but this is very much a fun-loving, drinking crowd. If you're especially studious, you probably shouldn't be at Gallaudet anyway, because the academics just aren't that rigorous. But anyone who was raised deaf or hard of hearing in a mainstreamed environment should definitely come to Gallaudet and experience everything a deaf school has to offer.

shanna

They have very diverse background, easygoing and generally friendly students.

They have very diverse background, easygoing and generally friendly students.

Gallaudet University is best known for recent protest to overthrow newly selected president.

Visit the campus and get know the students and to research what kind of courses they offer. Sit in during class to observe teachers and talk with students.

Lizzie

I'm a class of 2011, my classmates are great. We come from different states, some of them are outside of United States. From there, we meeting many new people from diversity places, states, and school. From there, we made many new friends and during our freshman year, we all living in same dorm which is for freshman kids only so it's so nice for us to meeting all freshmen in dorm. We getting know eachothers mostly from dorm not in classroom. My classmates are very unique. We treat each others like a family!

My suggest is when you finding the right college, you should go visiting that campus and see if you like it or not. And do your research before you pick your own college. Make sure, that college is for your future and match ur major. DO NOT GO COLLEGE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BE WITH YOUR FRIENDS. Make your own decision!

Gallaudet University is for deaf students but they do accepted hearing people if they want to be an interperter. Gallaudet University have many values history inside because it's only one deaf univerity in the whole world. It's like a small community in Gallaudet University, almost everyone know each others and we felt like we are like sister/brothers to each others. It's a great school for everyone, we have our own culture in this university. I can't really explained, you have to be here and see it for yourself. From there, you will understand. Just come!

Bryan

Whats unique about my school is that there are communication access which everyone can communicate without having a hard time. And Gallaudet University talks about the deaf world and why we should be proud to be deaf. The deaf community is very involved with what the students need.

The advice i would provide is to make sure you choose what you believe will have an positive impact on you for your future.

The kind of person that should not attend is people who are isolated or afraid to social with others.

Alexandria

Everyone at Gallaudet comes from different background ethics, but there is only one that keeps us on a similar ground-our deafness. It is what makes us feel comfortable, home, and sense of belongness. I cannot imagine a world without an university like Gallaudet.

i would strongly encourage students to experience the dorm life in order to explore what they want to do in the future. It is the only time that they can analyze their inner-self and decides for their future. Beside than dorm life, the parents should support their child's academic future by seeking which university/college will be suitable for their career choice. Sometimes their child will be in a stage where they will feel frustration of parents making decisions for them, but do make sure to include them into your discussions. Always talk with them and it will help with the process of choosing the best choice.

Gallaudet University is known as ONLY liberal arts university for deaf and hard of hearing students from all over the world.

Meghan

I would consider the worst thing is apathetic atmosphere. Nobody really wants to do anything. Many buildings are deteriorating. The quality of classes are okay, not top-notch. not many activities for non-greeks.

Ultimately it is up to the students to make their choice. I believe student should feel comfortable in their environment. It is not easy to look at colleges and wonder which fits person most. I think small classes are best to look at as option for college because you get more quality time with professor and be able to get more attention.

The people who are not ready for college.

The worst thing about this school is the discrimination against hearing undergraduates despite their ability to sign. Feels very unelcoming and I dread going back each semester.

Stay overnight before you choose to attend the school, sorry parents, but allow your kids a little freedom on campus so they can get a feel for the atmosphere, the enviornment outside of the campus and whether or not they can imagine themselves there and happy in the future.

I do not brag about my school, I moved off campus and will brag about my job and apartment off campus 30 mins away but not my school itself.

Andrew

Honestly? Don't stress about it. College IS a significant change from high school, that's for sure, but if you take it all in stride, you'll do just fine. I know the advice I just presented was cliched, but it rings true. From my perspective, a parent shouldn't pressure the child to go to a specific college, but instead, have the child follow his/her heart. Also, do VISIT. It may cost money, but it'll be worth it, as first impressions do count. For new students coming into college - again, this is very cliched, but BE YOURSELF. Don't worry about impressing others. Be friendly, but don't be a "yes-man" - set your own boundaries, and be strong amid peer pressure (which, I believe, is strongest among freshmen). Feel free not to follow the crowd - if you don't like to drink, that's OK! I don't, either. It's not the end of the world. One more advice - DON'T SLEEP THROUGH YOUR CLASSES. I cannot emphasize this enough - it's addictive, tempting, and it hurts your GPA. Believe me, I know - I've been there. Best of luck, and just think CONFIDENCE.

Honestly, anyone. You don't absolutely HAVE to be Deaf. Hearing folks do attend this University too, to major in interpreting and/or to teach ASL. There's no specific criteria that needs to be met - I guess an unspoken rule here is that you should be friendly, outgoing, and at least know a bit of sign language. Many people come through Gallaudet and never leave the same--no matter who they are, they're impacted at least slightly by Gallaudet.

Our school is best known for being the only Deaf university in the world. We're known to be very accomodating towards Deaf people, and while we're not a perfect university, we do try. We have this awesome, tight-knit sense of community where everyone knows each other (wait...that could be a bad thing too!), and the alumni is very involved, since they were Deaf, too, and some of their kids attend Gallaudet also. We're also known for striking protests when our President doesn't meet our needs. We're, in two words, Gallaudet University.

Timothy

I made one of biggest mistake by focus solely on Gallaudet University because it is only deaf university in the entire world. I realized that I could grab the opporunity to visit other universities that might provide best opporunities for me in every aspects of my life. My biggest advices for every prospective college students and their families, please keep your options open by visiting several universities or colleges before make the final decision. The decision you make on which college you want to go will probably stick with you unless you are willing to start all over by transfer to different university. In addition, always remember your true identify and don't change your own identify because someone tell you to do that because your identify will always stick with you, while peers might or might not.

I wish that I knew how serious the students with their academic matters because I would never come here if I knew that large majority of students rather doing beer binges instead of studying, even during weekdays. In addition, I underestimated how flithly Washington DC is, also DC/Gallaudet seem proud that they are probably home to one of dirtest city in United States of America!

Gallaudet University have deep potentials to be an excellent school where it will get alot of respects from the public. However, majority of students seem not dedicated themselves by not put deep emphasize on academics because they largely focus on social life with countless of partyings. However, Gallaudet is doing much better to curbing students' partying habits and slowly restore Gallaudet to earn the respects from the mainstream.

Gallaudet University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.