Washington, DC
Gallaudet University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Gallaudet University

Andrew

Our school is best known for being the only Deaf university in the world. We're known to be very accomodating towards Deaf people, and while we're not a perfect university, we do try. We have this awesome, tight-knit sense of community where everyone knows each other (wait...that could be a bad thing too!), and the alumni is very involved, since they were Deaf, too, and some of their kids attend Gallaudet also. We're also known for striking protests when our President doesn't meet our needs. We're, in two words, Gallaudet University.

Honestly? Don't stress about it. College IS a significant change from high school, that's for sure, but if you take it all in stride, you'll do just fine. I know the advice I just presented was cliched, but it rings true. From my perspective, a parent shouldn't pressure the child to go to a specific college, but instead, have the child follow his/her heart. Also, do VISIT. It may cost money, but it'll be worth it, as first impressions do count. For new students coming into college - again, this is very cliched, but BE YOURSELF. Don't worry about impressing others. Be friendly, but don't be a "yes-man" - set your own boundaries, and be strong amid peer pressure (which, I believe, is strongest among freshmen). Feel free not to follow the crowd - if you don't like to drink, that's OK! I don't, either. It's not the end of the world. One more advice - DON'T SLEEP THROUGH YOUR CLASSES. I cannot emphasize this enough - it's addictive, tempting, and it hurts your GPA. Believe me, I know - I've been there. Best of luck, and just think CONFIDENCE.

Honestly, anyone. You don't absolutely HAVE to be Deaf. Hearing folks do attend this University too, to major in interpreting and/or to teach ASL. There's no specific criteria that needs to be met - I guess an unspoken rule here is that you should be friendly, outgoing, and at least know a bit of sign language. Many people come through Gallaudet and never leave the same--no matter who they are, they're impacted at least slightly by Gallaudet.

Timothy

Gallaudet University have deep potentials to be an excellent school where it will get alot of respects from the public. However, majority of students seem not dedicated themselves by not put deep emphasize on academics because they largely focus on social life with countless of partyings. However, Gallaudet is doing much better to curbing students' partying habits and slowly restore Gallaudet to earn the respects from the mainstream.

I made one of biggest mistake by focus solely on Gallaudet University because it is only deaf university in the entire world. I realized that I could grab the opporunity to visit other universities that might provide best opporunities for me in every aspects of my life. My biggest advices for every prospective college students and their families, please keep your options open by visiting several universities or colleges before make the final decision. The decision you make on which college you want to go will probably stick with you unless you are willing to start all over by transfer to different university. In addition, always remember your true identify and don't change your own identify because someone tell you to do that because your identify will always stick with you, while peers might or might not.

I wish that I knew how serious the students with their academic matters because I would never come here if I knew that large majority of students rather doing beer binges instead of studying, even during weekdays. In addition, I underestimated how flithly Washington DC is, also DC/Gallaudet seem proud that they are probably home to one of dirtest city in United States of America!

The majority of classmates tend to party often, but there are also groups of classmates who choose to go against the society and become non-conformists. Diversity is not very high at the campus, but once you get around and know people better, you realize that Gallaudet University is far more diverse in a unique way than you'd initially think.

Parents are to provide moral and emotional support to their children who attend colleges, though they must not encourage their children to come home often. Students must not isolate themselves in their dorm rooms, which easily results in being unhappy and unsatisified with their college experience and eventually withdraw from college without even fully experiencing it.

One best thing about my school is the close-knit environment of students. The majority of students here share similar experiences, but they have sufficient experiences that set them apart from others and make themselves interesting to befriend. In addition, teachers are understanding and aware of what's going on around the campus and are determined to ensure that our college experience is satisfying.

Tearra

as a deaf univeristy. A good place to get education at if you want to major in education or business. Psychology too.

Just make sure it match their major. And where they will feel that they will fits in and feel safe being there if they are so far away form home.

Marianna

My advice I would give parents or student about this right college about education and social, life is short. Balance is a must for students' mind to do well in school and do the physical too. I will make sure that they prepare for money then it would be not a problem for them to leave school. This school is really very expensive, I encourage them to go there for one year how they like or not. this school is one of best for deaf community and networking for career jobs that they can find the most. It help students improve who they are and being a confident in themselves as whatever they wanted to be such like a teacher or anything, its up to them. I like this school that gave me a lot of support for me to do well in school and get my degree, it will do the same thing for their daugther or son go through. this BA degree does not matter this time because they look for MA degree more specific such like deaf education or law education or anything.

my school is that students' decision to make any courses as their major. I am very impressed with this school because they provided social life and education that really good balance for our mind to stay stable. Some teacher try to fit in some students' need of high education, some of them are very intelligent so do not want their coursework, they offer them many handout projects that really challenge. Nice for students' desire to do anything and understand what teachers' need too. Not like other college can do that, for example look at law school very serious all times.

I will say cafe, dorm and money. Cafe tastes soo AWFUL, it was so irony that their food come from Bontique. It does not make sense. The Dorm seem uncomfortable for students to sleep there, it's tough for them to do well in school. I have noticed that many students always left school because of money. this school does not provided many scholarship as much as students get, they were very frustated because some of them wanted to be suceed in school to get their degree. I do not like to see that how finanical can do that.

Gallaudet University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.