George Mason University

« See more reviews of George Mason University

George Mason offers a pretty diverse group of students. The student population includes international, transfers, out- of- state, various racial and ethnic groups, different age groups, and various religions and beliefs. Most students come from the Northern Virginia area, though students come from other places as well. The best place on campus to find the diversity is in the Johnson Center. Despite the differences, the students here think alike for the most part. Students of different groups rarely intermingle and remain amongst their own. When it comes to interacting with different groups, I found some groups to be more or less welcoming than others. I believe it depends on the people and the culture. It's tough to find any real friends in an urban area, where the emphasis lies in doing things quickly, constant texting, and obsession with facebook. I think it's possible to find decent people. It's a matter of weeding through the obsessive texters and facebook users. Since a lot of students are from Northern Virginia, there is a tendency for people to view themselves as more well off than others. Politically, I consider students on campus to be fairly moderate and toward the left. However, the school newspaper presents more conservative views, which I don't believe represents the majority of George Mason students.

George Mason is probably the most diverse campus I've ever been to. The variety of cultures and ethnicities is incredible and there is so much to learn from the multitude of individuals at Mason. Because of this, I feel that the students at Mason are very open and accepting. We have a high presence of students that have physical and intellectual developments. At some schools I've visited I've sensed hostility toward these types of students, but at Mason they are part of the community -- which has impressed me the most. Students talk to these intellectually or physically impaired students just as if they would talk to anyone else. They make them feel included. It is so refreshing to see this. Also, everyone interacts here. It doesn't feel like high school at Mason. I don't really feel that there are many cliques. I can say, personally, that I have friends from all types of backgrounds, religions, ethnicities, and so on.

I see students from vastly different ethnic backgrounds everyday. I have had classes also with such diverse students and also with students of a variety of religious backgrounds not just different christian backgrounds but also Jewish, Islamic and other backgrounds. However, to a degree students may connect within cliques of their own types. Sometimes i see students of different backgrounds religious/ethnicity/race interact. I do. I have never been to the dining hall. Students do come from around the world but mostly from the Northern Virginia area and the USA. I don't know about financial backgrounds. Students are definantly politicaly aware. I see an equal representation of left and right when there is a protest but i think the 'right' minded students do more campaigns around campus than the 'left'. I haven't heard much about what someone will earn one day.

Most of the students who go to Mason are rather well off. There is tons of diversity, which is cool. It getts tiring seeing the same person, with the same type of experiences and stories. It's great learn about everyone's religion, ethnicity etc. However, I wouldn't go to Mason just for the diversity. Mason tends to bank on that a little too much. But, if you come to Mason, there's a good chance you won't feel left out. I think all colleges there's something for everyone. It all depends. Students range from brilliant to clueless on any number of political, economic and eviormental issues. It isn't always topic of choice and sometimes it's hard to tell what political views people have at Mason, because they will keep that sort of info to themselves.

Being so close to D.C. Mason has a lot of diversity. There are some many different backgrouds and organizations for all of them. Because of the location and the commuter aspect there are a lof of upper-middle class backgrounds, which can come across as pretentious. The campus is very active in politics, again because of the location. All political views are represented though clubs. The school (although more liberal) has a fair amount of student support from all sides. Since Mason has a larger commuter population this isn't a campus where you find students wearing their PJ's around. Some students work during the day and will come to class wearing business attire.

I have found that at GMU making friends to hang out with can be quite difficult. A large part of the student body commutes, so it is kind of hard to get to know people from class outside of class. So you are basically stuck with meeting the people in your building at first -- this of course leads to meeting others over time, but if you don't get along with your roommates it can make it difficult. Clubs are a option as well, but if you are like me and don't have time with classes, it makes it even harder. It does happen though, it just took longer than I would have liked.

George Mason is a great school, probably one of the safest campuses you could ever attend, the police are literally right around the corner. The professors are from all over the world and definitely will help you get the education you need.veryone is very friendly if you ever are lost or need help people will definitely point you in the right direction. Since its so close to D.C the internships and the jobs here are quite promising. If your looking for a school with great school spirit, academics, nice quiet setting, pick here!

My classmates are socially conscious, goal driven, and hopeful. GMU has a network of students that want to change the world for the better and work together to achieve this goal. The students of GMU are friendly, helpful, and work for the common good. There are a variety of learners and programs so you are guaranteed to have classmates that share your interests but have individual aspirations. This creates a community of learners working together to make the world a better place using their complimentary talents and interests.

As far as student body goes, we are really open. I'm a lesbian and have never had any problems with it on campus, we even have a whole Pride Week. I feel like everyones really different, but thats also okay with everyone else. No one really seems to be ostracized. Overall we're a pretty liberal school, so the republicans may have a hard time sometimes. We have a lot of International students. Overall, we're kind of segregated in terms of types of people, but I don't think we're any worse than other schools.

There is a very diverse student population at George Mason. It is known as one of the most diverse schools, especially since it is located so close to DC. When you walk around campus you find that this stereotype is very accurate. There are also numerous student organizations to make these students feel very welcome. I am part of the Persian Club, which is one of the many cultural organizations. Most students have money since they are from around the area, but there is every type of person at Mason.