Georgia Southern University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Georgia Southern University

Fernanda

I thoroughly enjoyed my undergrad years there to the point of sticking around for my graduate studies. As an academically oriented introvert I highly enjoyed the settings even on game days when the whole town comes on campus to cheer on the football team which is quite exciting. I found a great network of professors for my majors and minor which I know wasn't the experience for everyone. I was also grateful for the free counseling center services that were expanded upon once covid hit. I was able to live both in the downtown area away from campus as well as near campus and which provided me with a both local and student perspective of the university that some of my peers in other universities are definitely missing out on.

whitley

It is an overall good school but with COVID I think the professors could have been more understanding given the circumstances of the country. There is an issue with mold all throughout the campus and especially in the on campus housing, which is extremely dangerous to other students. The buses for the campus need to offer more stops making campus more accessible to those without a parking pass. The food in the dining commons is very good and there are a lot of resources for students who are struggling academically.

Matt

Honestly have had a worse experience than what I had at the tech college I transferred from. The tech college also had low quality educators but at least they didn't require so many gen-eds and core classes. More than half the professors I've had here don't submit grades until weeks or months later. I've had a few professors submit grades only at the end of the semester. I've raised, along with several other issues around campus and nothing is done. The switch to online classes during the height of the pandemic has only made things exponentially worse as most professors lack skill in teaching an online class and were less than competent in moving all their content online in an organized manner. The math professors are consistently where I have had the most issues as most really don't care the least about their students and each class feels rushed with you having to basically teach yourself through youtube videos and khan academy. Some classes really do have mid-semester dropout rates of 50% or more and nothing is done to correct these underperforming professors or programs. The worst part is many of the counselors know about these classes and will even warn you about them so its not like the university is unaware, they just choose not to do anything about it. The class registration process is also often a nightmare, with many courses conflicting in schedule with other essential courses, waitlists for major classes, restricted class offerings (some only given during fall or spring). The entire system is just a chaotic mess, and coming from a college where class registration never had these issues it took a lot to get used to. Parts of campus are also poorly maintained, dirty classrooms, graffiti on library walls that stayed there for more than a semester, broken furniture etc. Multiple times during the COVID pandemic classes were changed, schedules altered etc only after registration. They made sure to keep their enrollment numbers up at the cost of being transparent to their students. The other major problem with Georgia Southern is simply its location: Statesboro is a very sketchy city with little in terms of entertainment, convenience or safety. Even the on-campus housing has regular incidents where police have had to be called. In short you could describe the experience as "ghetto". I'm a 3.0 GPA average student, and Ive had such a bad experience at GSU that I've made the difficult decision to transfer to a different university. Unless you cant afford to attend college elsewhere choose a different college, GSU is not worth it. Your odds of graduating here are only 50% anyway according the grad rates.

AUS

Alright college, probably not different then most. Didn't learn much, but not too upset as rates are pretty cheap compared to other schools. Not much to do in the area besides party. Fall 2020 the COVID semester, classes started in person, but switched to online after two weeks. They planned this out so they can charge all the campus fees which add up to $1,000 (Athletic fee, transportation, rac, activities, etc.). They told the teachers n planned for the online to happen so they could charge that, annoying. Asked for a refund of fees or partial, denied. Colleges are scams, but dang you don't have to be that blunt about it. Then I took a soccer class just for something fun to do as I didn't need it, already had enough credits to graduate. I missed the first class, showed up to class next day and we have to wear masks outside... playing soccer...? Then instead of 2 classes a week its only 1. So I asked if I could drop as playing soccer with a mask isn't fun, they denied my request...

Kayce

Attending Georgia Southern is an experience like no other. Taking such a massive University and placing it in a small town like Statesboro creates quite the odd environment, but it is an environment that I am grateful I have gotten to experience. Georgia Southern makes you feel like you're right at home.

Michelle

I love it! Very pleased. I went years ago and then stopped to have children and after I re enroll they have helped me every step of the way. They got me started in the right direction and got me to consider what classes I need to retake again. They have been helpful every step of the way.

Sam

Georgia Southern is a great starting college. It is really homey and you can meet people in every aspect that are usually just as excited as you to be there. The teachers and faculty are extremely nice and the workload can be a lot but there is always plenty of places and opportunities that can help you if you need tutoring or just a quiet place to work. The college is relatively new, it could use some updating but it not falling apart. The landscape is absolutely breath-taking and the food, though could use a more variety of healthy options and maybe give the calorie amount for those who are trying to watch their calorie intake, they do have options that everyone will love. Overall, I would say Georgia Southern is an amazing place to be and I am so glad that they gave me the opportunity to be apart of such a wonderful establishment.

the school is all that i have dreamed of a university to be. the only problem i have is the buses. i wished they had a bus going for off campus to walmart or the mall. because i rely on the campus bus im only on campus. so its difficult to get off campus.

Avery

I love attending Georgia Southern. It has truly become like a second home for me. The campus may be large but you will never feel out of place and the education you will receive is top notch. There are also tons of opportunities for extracurriculars and clubs- truly something for everyone, no matter what it is you enjoy.

shelby

Georgia Southern is a great place to be! Honestly, when you go to Georgia Southern you get out of it what you give in. If you are very involved and active on campus then you will have an amazing time with lots of memories to be made. However, you just want to keep your head down and breeze through your studies, you will be right at home with plenty of other who are making their way through as well.

Aaliyah

Before applying for schools, I had no idea about Georgia Southern. I put the school on my list and it was the first school I signed up to go on a campus tour. I fell in love. The campus for one is so beautiful. There’s hundreds of organizations to be apart of. It’s truly great.

Tariq

This is the best place to spend your college education/time. Academics and professors are great and reliable. Some classes can be a little difficult than others but the school resources help students. Campus involvements are welcoming and always trying get students to participate. Campus food is delicious and easily reachable. The overall experience so far is grand and great.

Frankia

Georgia Southern is the best school away from home. From the friendly staff and professors, to the football games, this is a wonderful school to attend. You are guaranteed success on day one.

Mykaela

This is a great school. The campus is beautiful and the classes are always enjoyable, especially mine because I love my major. Once you get involved, campus life is amazing. Even though I am not fully involved, there are always many opportunities to do so. I cannot really complain about the school. I advise students who come here to be careful though. The weekends and game nights can be crazy for those not used to seeing Law and Order live.

Kimberley

This school is big in size but small in heart. You wont get lost and if you do people or more than happy to help you find your way. The class sizes are perfect for any type of person from small classes to large ones. This school is home away from home.

Sulzyche

I love this campus. t takes ride in not only the campus the every student who attends this institution. They make sure that everyone on campus is involved in some way and there are many organizations on this campus that supports the interests of each student.

Brooke

The real GSU as we like to call it has been home to me over my undergraduate career. Moving to such a small town was a big adjustment but Southern really holds a name with its small town large scale feel. The campus is beautiful and both the on and off campus housing is affordable and modern with a wide range of options. The school is filled with great professors and a variety of activities, student events and community service to help keep students engaged. The party scene is great if your into that type of stuff and the town outside of the school is slowly growing. There are a lot of organizations to get involved in and to gain leadership skills. Southern is a great choice!

Bria

I love Georgia Southern. It is a large campus, but it doesn't feel that way and even a quiet, introverted person like myself can find something to do and people to do it with. The academics are great and GaSo prides itself on its class sizes for good reason; the only large classes are lecture CORE classes.

Amber

I love being a student at Georgia Southern. Everyone is very nice and there are plenty of social opportunities. The campus is beautiful and there is always something happening. There is a bit of a gnat problem in the summer and there could be more to do in the town it's in.

Mary Michelle

I have desired to go to GSU since I was little. My mom went there, and graduated from there. We both love this college very much. It has the perfect class size for me, and has all the resources I need. The people are very nice, make you feel very welcome, and assist you with any questions or concerns you have. It is a great place to be, and I can't wait to go there in the fall.

Janay

Overall, I love Georgia Southern University because it has a beautiful campus with extremely diverse students. Also, it offers many clubs and organizations for your interest and to meet other people. This university has many opportunities for their students to succeed such as job events, tutoring, writing centers, study abroad, finding a mentor and internships, volunteering and so forth. In addition, I like how this campus offers fitness class such as Zumba and Yoga which are my favorite to take, hip hop, awesome abs, cycling and many more. Not to mention, they have computer labs and study rooms everywhere on campus which is convenient especially if you don’t want to go to the library constantly. Another reason I attended here is because it has an awesome accredited Interior Design program that they offer here, and I know I did not want to attend to an Art school because I wanted that campus feel and an affordable tuition. In fact, I love how the program let you learn and visit locations outside the classroom with my major. Georgia Southern has the best residence halls compared to other schools because their dormitories are more like suites and mini apartments. Overall, this college makes me feel at home that has a safe and friendly environment and where you can have fun too. Georgia Southern University is a place for higher education, student engagement, leadership, and research opportunities.

Robbea

Georgia southern matches the description it gives itself. It is a large-scale, small feel research university. While a lot of students attend the school, the campus never feels too large and overpopulated to talk to staff and administration. There are many things to get involved in and the school is steadily working to be a more diverse campus.

Alexis

Georgia Southern University is a large campus and yet people know your name. I have spent the last four years attending the university. I will graduate on May 7th and many of the classmates that entered August of 2012 are also graduating. The cost is reasonable, and the housing is great. Centennial is an awesome dorm, they are apartments literally. I was in a four bedroom, full kitchen, and living area, two girls on one side and two girls on the other and a shared bathroom. The food is halfway decent, and there is a true sense of belonging. The campus is great, the school spirit is awesome!!

William

Georgia Southern is set in the middle of a small town in south Georgia. The college is the center of the towns atmosphere and without the college it would be just like any other small southern town. The college draws most of the tourism and enables businesses to thrive. The campus is beautiful. It is not to small yet not to large and allows most students to get across campus between classes as needed. On my first day of classes, I walked out of my last class onto the rotunda to find a spontaneous rap battle underway. After further examination, I was surprised to realize that the topic covered the failing educational system in south Georgia. This left me with high expectations of the experiences that I would encounter throughout my time at Georgia Southern. Now upon reflection as a Senior, I realize encounters like this have been sporadic. Those type of experiences are refreshing among the mundane weekend rituals of partying and barhopping that occurs at Georgia Southern. Although Georgia Southern is known for partying, the school also is home to a wonderful and focused teaching staff. As student double majoring into , I have had experience in a broad range of classes and most of the professors I have had were enthusiastic about teaching their classes.

Julia

This a good school for those who want a good quality education but want to try and keep the price reasonable. Not perfect by any means the school still stays current with technology and the buildings so you never feel stuck in the past and the staff feel knowledgeable on their respective fields so you don't go to particular office and feel frustration from a lack of good information. Professors are a mix of tough but understanding that while not everyone's idea of perfect none the less are is still exceptional. If your looking for a great value for your money this school delivers for nearly anyone who may be interested.

Jasmine

It is amazing!! Ever since I came here for the orientation I feel like this place was a second home for me. There is usually something to do on campus, since the town is pretty small so there is no way that you could possibly get bored. The only thing you have to do is go out and find it. The people are usually really nice and I have actually made quite a few friends since I got here.

Henry

At Georgia Southern you can get involved with different programs and get a great education. In the Mechanical Engineering department we have Eagle Motorsports in which several people have received job offers from companies like BMW and Ford. If you don't get involved and do not care about your education, your degree will not be as respected.

Onan

Southern is a great university in my opinion. The campus is amazing as well as the people. Overall there seems to be a welcoming air around the school. It seems as if rumors made it sound like a "party school" but in reality, college is what you make of it. I look forward to being there for the next 3 and a half years.

Amaya

Beautiful campus and overall college town vibe. Large scale small feel, you won't feel like you're a number at this large university. Professors are typically great and know what they're teaching, however be sure to use Rate my Professor. Greek life and football season are a big thing here, your stereotypical southern college feel. Overall great school.

Kathryn

Georgia Southern University is an overall great school! I am a high school senior and attend Georgia Southern University as a dual enrollment student. I spend more time at Georgia Southern taking classes that I do at my high school. I really enjoy it! The classes are challenging but not too over the top. I feel like my high school has really prepared me for college level course work!

Alex

Georgia Southern is a great school. I feel that the staff here truly desire for me to succeed and that is what keeps me motivated. When I first came here, I felt so at home that I knew that this is where I wanted to be. This is where students that want to succeed come!

Nekaybaw

Georgia Southern is a very large school with a personalized feel. I really enjoy the activities on campus I was able to find a group of people I can truly connect with, and the professors are willing to help as long as you put in the effort. Georgia Southern is the school for me it's safe, inviting, and charming. Hail Southern!!!

Devon

There are many reasons that I like Georgia Southern. I've found that the professors are available to us on a regular basis, they're understanding of your situation and will many times give you a second chance if you need it and you show that you're trying. With regards to the dorms, the maintenance staff are very responsive and helpful. There are many things to do for students on campus such as game nights, concerts and other events. The school is very involved with the community of Statesboro and will pay tribute to the local farmers at the football games as well as the troops. They go out of their way to recognize farmers and troops due to the large amount of farms around the area, many students are 6th generation farmers and when recognizing the troops, the school has one of the largest ROTC programs in the country. For students who are faith based, there are many churches in the area for them to choose from. In addition to all of the above, the school works hard to have high moral value and makes sure that there isn't discrimination against anyone. It is a well rounded school touching on all types of degrees and catering to many different types of students and their learning styles. Overall, Georgia Southern is a great school.

Victoria

Georgia Southern is really what you make it. From campus life to extracurriculars, Southern can possibly be the best years of your life or even the worst. On a positive spectrum, the campus life is amazing. It's quick to make friends and there is always an event happening on campus. The only negative I will point out is, when you are in trouble, the staff does the bare minimum in helping you out.

Nathaniel

Nothing to Complain about. I honestly love the school and the people there, everyone always makes you feel like you are welcome and you never tend to find yourself alone. Even though there isn't much to do off campus, we make the best of it with our lifelong friends.

LoQuasha

Georgia Southern is such a welcoming community of people. They make sure to personalize your experience and make you feel as comfortable as possible. You are free to be yourself and it's rare if you don't find someone with your same interests as you. They really do make it feel like a home away from home.

Dashawna

Georgia Southern is a great school. The professors are great, the campus is beautiful, and the students are awesome. But just like any other campus, Georgia Southern does have problems at times but nothing that overshadows its greatness.

I absolutely love Georgia Southern. The university has an amazing atmosphere and community, and the class sizes are great. Most of the professors know and love what they teach. Georgia Southern has fantastic sports, intramural activities, clubs, honor societies, multiple sororities and fraternities for those wanting to be a part of Greek life, and opportunities for students' success in the present and future. The campus is also safe and beautiful.

Overall, Georgia Southern University is a fantastic school! The professors and advisors I have encountered seem to genuinely care, want to see you do well, and will help you in any way they can. One of the best things about our campus is that you can get involved in so many ways. There's a large number of clubs and organizations for nearly any major, hobby, or sport you can think of and this makes it much easier to make friends. It's a beautiful campus and I feel I made a great decision in attending Georgia Southern.

Bailee

I love Georgia Southern. The campus is absolutely beautiful and there's something for everyone to do. Sports are a big thing and we're like one huge family when it comes to support. There are so many resources for the students to take advantage of.

Nesha

It is a nice school. My sister went there, and she said it would be a good fit for me, and she was right. The campus is beautiful and everyone is nice! The classes are great and there are so many to choose from. If you go to Southern, you may never want to leave!

kabera

I love Georgia Southern. I just wish they had more scholarships available for people who have financial needs, but Georgia Southern is a great school to go to for all majors. The campus food is very good and you have a lot of options to choose from at the dining hall. There are plenty of clubs to join and events to do around campus so you are not really bored around. I just say make friends and get involved around campus to make Georgia Southern more fun because if you come here and don't get involved in anything then it may not be the college for you. Greek Row has some beautiful houses so if you're looking to join a sorority or fraternity, Georgia Southern is big on that.

Andy

Overall, it's a good school. We have a lot of campus groups and different opportunities to join clubs and orgs. There is also a lot of community outreach which I liked. There was a consolidation recently that really screwed up with my academics which I did not take well too.

Dmya

Georgia Southern University has a great atmosphere. Everyone here is helpful in advancing your career. The food is great. Off campus and On campus living is equally great. There is always something to do on campus such as clubs and organizations. Greek life here is pretty awesome. The whole school is just beautiful.

Lexi

Georgia Southern lives on the description of being a big school with a small- school feeling, and it's true. All the buildings are walking distance, and I always feel safe (even when leaving for my 5 am work shifts). The town is a good size as there are a lot of places to eat and shop, without too much distraction from school. The dorms are nice and maintenance is fast when any issues arise! GATA.

I love my school. The professors are great, the students are great, the sports are great, basically everything is great. Every time I walk through campus, I always think about how blessed I am to go to school here. There's not a ton to do in Statesboro, but Savannah and Tybee Island are super close, so what more could you ask for?

It's a really good school. Clean, safe, and all about the students. I heard some bad things before I enrolled, but once I got to Southern I realized the bad things are all choices you must decide to partake in. My classes are great and nearly all my professors are very helpful and want me to succeed!

Madeline

Georgia Southern is a great school, I would recommend it to anyone. There's a niche for everyone here, no matter what your interests are. We have active Greek life and a great athletic program, as well as hundreds of clubs to join! Professors want you to succeed and in my experience, really get to know their students. GSU lives up to it's "Small Town, Big Feel" reputation. GATA!

I love Georgia Southern University. Big campus small feel!! It is so beautiful and offers a ton of programs for everyone. Academics are amazing as well as the social life. There is always something to do. Sports play a huge role in our campus lifestyle too. Game days are huge. Better be prepared to be in some kind of traffic the morning of games.

Ryan

Georgia Southern University is a huge campus that contains programs and supportive professors that assure that you are able to pursue your dream career in the most efficient way. I recommend this university to anyone who wants a great college experience.