Hamilton College

« See more reviews of Hamilton College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

There are two sides of campus: Light Side and Dark Side. Light Siders tend to be preppier-- pastels, popped collars, very wealthy. Dark Siders are more artsy and funky. But just because you're a light sider doesn't mean that you're not friends with people different than you. There is also a stereotype that everyone is very wealthy. This is for the most part true, but there are a lot of people on financial aid. However, kids who aren't financially secure might have a hard time relating to students who blow $300 a weekend on alcohol. Another stereotype: that we're heavy drinkers. I'll be honest, it's true. The sub-free kids tend to stick together and are a little bit odd. But just because most people drink heavily or do drugs doesn't mean that there's a lot of peer pressure. Everyone makes their own decisions.

The stereotype of Hamilton students tends to be that everyone is white, preppy, rich, and jocks. While there certainly are students who fit into this category, it's not overwhelming. Our campus offers a lot more diversity--we place a great emphasis on the Fine Arts (theater, music, studio art), so many students are involved with those activities as well. We have an awesome Outdoors Club that brings students on trips all the time to camp or ski or, you name it! What's particularly great about Hamilton students is just how involved students are across the board. We may have people who fit perfectly into the "stereotype" but are also involved with community service, or a capella groups, not just sports and greek life.

I can't say I have heard too many stereotypes about Hamilton or Hamilton students. If I had to make some up I would say that all Hamilton students are white, doing quite well financially, went to boarding school, and are from either Boston or CT. Most of their time is spent locked in their rooms studying and on weekends things don't get too much more exciting than that.

Hamilton is definitely known for being too preppy. We're also all supposed to be ridiculous rich and WASPy. We're known for being kind of a party school(even though we work pretty hard too). Not being diverse enough, and the split between the dark side and the light side.

Hamilton is stereotypically a small, prestigious liberal arts school with a large population of white, middle-upper class, preppy students from the North East who spend a lot of time drinking alcohol.

As a tour guide I have heard a lot and they include ~To liberal, ward churchill, hippie school ~To conservative, to rich, to preppy ~No diversity ~Drinks a lot ~Hard ~Exclusive greek life scene

white, wealthy, jcrew cutouts, oblivious to the outside world, Westchester County (or if you are really being 'diverse' you might find a kid from Fairfield, possibly MA somewhere)

Hamilton is very very preppy. People think that students at Hamilton drink all the time because of the weather. Kids are all rich white kids living off of daddy's money.

Many people think that Hamilton is only "preppy" or "waspy" kids from New England boarding schools.

All students here are from Westchester County or Fairfield County. Everyone is rich and preppy.