Indianapolis, IN
Ivy Tech Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Ivy Tech Community College

Kamessa

In my opinion Ivy Tech is known for its small class sizes, and the ability for a student to trasfer to a four year college of their choice realiatively easy.

Ivy Tech was close to home and it was affordable. The school allowed me to work, go to school , and raise my son. Another thing I like is the small class sizes. It allows me to get to know my professors.

If I could go back and give my younger self any advice I think I would tell her to stay focused, be herself , and worship the adventure . Her adventure will start shortly after entering college when she will have a son, but this is something I will not tell her. Since her son will make her a better person. I would try to sit myself down and tell her that life/ college is difficult, but you have to keep your head up and roll with the punches. Her family will support her , and so will her teachers. College is a challenge that she can overcome, just ask for help. She needs to know she can speak her mind, and tell people about her life. If they choose to judge her she needs to look the other way. She will fail at something?s, but that will only make her stronger. She needs to stand up brush herself off, and put it in the past. Life is too short to beat yourself up as long as you learned something from that failure then it was a success.

Melissa

Learn to manage and balance your time between Scholastics and Social Life. You will have an amazing amount of newfound freedom and social experiences, but you need to keep your class schedule and workload in mind as well. If you choose to play on the computers and hang out with others instead of going to class and doing your work, you won't be able to stay in college for very long. Also, even though you think you know what career you would like to pursue, go to see the career counselor and take assesment tests. You may just end up discovering a path you never even knew existed. Thirdly, exercise. It will help you with cognitive function so that you do better on your classwork and tests, lower your stress levels to help reduce the chances of "burnout", and will keep all of the onion bagels with cream cheese from the cafeteria from giving you the "Freshman 15".

Affordability. It only cost approximately $2000 for a semester of tuition, fees, and books. That helps to considerably cut down on the size of student loans and lower the amount of post-education debt.

Parking. There are never enough parking spaces, and people have been known to be late to class because they had to search and/or wait for an available space. The campus is in a somewhat remote location, so there isn't any other nearby available parking.

I would of told myself that the real world is not as easy as it looks. and to take things seriously from the start. Going through college and thinking you'll fly by is not the right idea. You need to take the time to sit down and look at everything closely.

Nothing really. It was all explained in orrientation for me!

The lack of communication. When you call because you are having a problem it takes a day to even get through. And that does not always mean they solve the problem for you.

Jonathan

Ivytech is a small campus fill with great minds of professors who are dedicated to your educational growth.

If I were to go back in time, I would tell myself that college is not something to be fear. Life is filled with many stages and adversity that can help individuals learn and grow. College can help focus those adversities into something positive and productive. Fear will always be apart of a individual life, but learning how to overcome can help open doors to new challenges and opportunities. In the words of Franklin D. Roosevelt, "...the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" (The First Inaugural Address, 1933). Mistakes happen to everyone so don?t be afraid. Learn from your mistakes because life is full of them, and that is what college is all about.

I brag mostly about the different software I use like Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign. I would describe some of the different functions or commands on software, and the response I would received are words like, ?WOW? or ?That?s cool.?

Laura

I would tell myself to enjoy the rest of my senior year, retake my SAT's and really think about what I wanted to do in the long run. I would tell myself to go with my dreams, and to go to Purdue, the school I truly wanted to go to. instead of pleasing my parents. I would have told myself, not to worry about the money or being away from home but the experience that I would need. I would tell myself no matter how hard you are going to try you can't please your parents and they aren't going to make your dreams become a reality only you can do that. I would also tell myself to go on the senior trip to Costa Rica, instead of working for two weeks because that experience might have given that extra boost to be more independent.

How flexible the school is and the fact there are students of all ages. I don't think you should ever stop learning. I am still able to work full time, have a life and get good grades while I am getting the experience I need.

That I could have taken a year off and recieved more scholarships. I also wish I had gone along with to have gone with my dreams to become an athletic trainer instead of listening to my parents and went to art school instead.

Heather

They seem to be from a poor community and not be as educated as others in our peer group.

The old adage: Hindsight is 20/20. Were I able to go back, I would tell myself this: Firstly, be mentally prepared to be in college. It was such a drastic change from high school. Honestly I was not ready for it. I would advise to take more campus tours and talk with current students to get a better idea of what college life was realy like. Second: Take time off before going, even if it is only a semester. Had I advised my senior self that, I might not have wasted the first year on partying and a social life. New found freedom and a full course load were too much to handle all at once. Third: Don't overload your courses. My first semester I was enrolled in 17 credit hours; my second semester was just as hard with 16 hours. As a freshman, all those factors combined were a disaster waiting to happen. My advice? Do your research, take time to find yourself before you go, start with 12-15 credits at the most, and lastly, know that college is going to be the hardest but most rewarding experience in your life if you are prepared.

I feel that my school has a bad reputation due to it being a community college. Certain people, my parents included, feel that I'm not getting a quality experience or the same education as my peers attending a four year university. I am afraid that train of thought might be a common misconception and that it could hurt my chances of getting a job in the future if I am competing against the "unversity" graduates.

Kendra

The counselors who work at Ive Tech are very helpful and seem to want the best for the older students who are scare to sign up or have to retake accessment testing to better their scores and themselves.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself..I would say Kendra the classes you're taking may not be of much use to you now but in the future you will need them. You need to finish Spanish because one day you will need it, and really get a handle on Math, GIRL try to remember how to punctuate sentences and paragraphs. Get deeper in you books. You need to get more involed in school activites. I can bet you one day you will be telling your kids the samethings you need to do so you need to let them see what they need to make it and be able to show them as well because NOTHING STAYS THE SAME they change everyday and you won't be ready.

Midrea

Im going to be honest i really don't know what my school is know for exactly , but to me i would have to say that Ivy Tech is known for their diversity and their wide range of class schedules to choose from. Ivy Tch also has a lot of campuses to choose from although they are a small community college there is a lot of things to do. Another thing that i have learned so far is that they also have a sorority that is on campuse and i didn't know they had things like that there .

The unique thing about Ivy Tech compared to other schools that i looked at is that they don't have a waiting list to get into their nuresing program. They also don't have a lot of big exams to take just to see if you get acccepted into the school unlike most big universitys, you would have had to taken an SAT in high school and scored really high. And with my school of choose you only have to take the compass test to see what classes you need to be placed in to start off with.

Assuming I could go back to my senior year of high school . Knowing what I know now about college and the transition, I would have to0ld myself to take all the classes that i could have especially my math. I would have also taken a little bit more science then I did. I know now that if i didn't take the the chance to graduate early I would probably have been more aware of what i was learning.I know for a fact that i didn't pay enough attention i some subjects a I did others. Because if i would have done so i could have been almost done with my schooling.Also i would have not taken a year off just because somethings got ruff the first couple of semesters. I also would have to myself don't look at how everyone else is moving along in school. Just look at the fact that I actually finished high school unlike most people in my family.I also should have told my self once i finish college no matter how long it takes it will pay of in the end ,or so my family always tells me.

Sara

My school is bes known for is getting a job when your done.

My school is bes known for is getting a job when your done.

That the class sizes are smaller that other colleges, and I like that alot. There are no sports at this school, and the age difference in this school is different than other schools.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior and make an advice, it would be that I would take my grades a lot better and not putting off things , because it hurts me in the long run. I would also do is take better classes that I would need in college instead of taking them now.

Keanah

There are all diffrent ages.

There are all diffrent ages.

I would tell myself to just try college, don't assume that you can't do it. Make myself do at least one year of it get involved in activites and push through. I will also tell myself that just because you have a child millions of people every day do it and it would be better to do it now that when you are 32.

Just started and there isn't any yet!

Ivy Tech Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.