Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Sam

At Hopkins, there are many different groups that students can get involved in. One of the most popular groups are sports teams. Many students are members of an athletic team. I myself am a member of the men's tennis team, and it is like a family within the organization. My teammates and I all get along great and tend to go out a lot together. However, for students not involved with athletics, there are countless clubs and other opportunities that Hopkins offers for students, whether it be volunteering, outdoors clubs, choral groups, etc. Most all students find their niche soon and get involved early in something that they are interested in. Aside from clubs, frats and sororities are also options for students. Frats are pretty big at Hopkins, with rush and pledging in the spring. However, sororities are smaller. Sororities do not have houses at Hopkins, and thus are not as big as frats. However, many girls still get involved, and I have heard that they are a great experience all the same.

The student body at Johns Hopkins University is incredibly diverse. There are students from all over the world, not just the United States, and there are multitudes of cultures and backgrounds represented. The great thing about Hopkins is that nobody feels left out because of their background. Students tend to be very accepting to differences and welcome them with open arms. What makes Hopkins different from other universities is that there is not a certain type of person that seems to take over the campus. If you are an athlete, there are plenty of other athletes you can feel connected with. If you like to party a lot, there's a place for you with a large social scene. On the other hand, if you prefer to stay in on the weekends, there are plenty of students who feel the same way as well. In this way, Hopkins avoids what I consider a social hierarchy. Everybody fits in to their own niche and nobody is left looking on from an outsider's point of view.

Academics at Johns Hopkins University are incredibly rigorous. The course work is heavy, and teachers expect you to not only keep up with assignments and attend every lecture, but also expand your knowledge through readings and other recommended activities. Students tend to study a lot at Hopkins, and the library is always full. Because of Hopkins' reputation as such a prestigious university, and because of the difficulty level of the classes, students are very competitive. Many are willing to do whatever necessary to get ahead and stand out from their peers, even if it sometimes requires questionable activities. The classes I have taken thus far have been mainly large lectures, so participation is limited, but other professors make participation a big part of the overall class experience. Despite the difficulty, Hopkins students generally feel a sense of pride with their schoolwork, and take it very seriously. It is not uncommon to hear a conversation about quantum physics or macroeconomics taking place in the cafeteria. It is this passion for learning that makes Hopkins stand out from other universities, and why students at this school tend to be better prepared for life outside of college.

When I first stepped on campus, my notion was that the campus was going to be mainly composed of students of Asian-American or Caucasian descent, with a lack of a major social scene. I was wrong on both accounts. First of all, the student body of Hopkins is very diverse, with many different ethnicities and backgrounds represented. There are many international students as well, which adds to the diversity and creates a great blend of cultures. When I came to Hopkins, my expectations for a great social scene were very low. However, within the first week of classes, my views changed. While there are definitely a group of kids who prefer to avoid the social scene and stick to the peace and quiet of their rooms, there are just as many kids looking to have a good time on weekends. There are always parties going on, and the whole student body is always welcome. The social world at Hopkins was one of the things that impressed me within the first few weeks of attendance in that I realized that the entire stereotype about great academic schools having poor social scenes was false.

Sydney

I'm really glad I chose to come to Hopkins. I've been intellectually challenged to levels that I never knew I would be able to reach. I also now live in the city of Baltimore, which has endless opportunites, not to mention, a great social scene. There are free buses that connect all the colleges and the biggest attractions. And the best thing of all are the diverse group of friends I've made. They all have their own special talents and abilities, but we all come together to make the best college community possible.

There are a lot of different groups on campus! The most popular is probably the tutorial project, where students tutor elementary school kids. Also, if you come to the Hop, you have to love lacrosse! We have one of the best teams in the nation! As far as partying goes, there are lots of different levels of partying. Some kids don't party at all, some kids party a ton. No matter what level of social life you want, you'll probably find a group that fits your style.

The students at Hopkins are all so different. First and foremost, I have met students from so many different countries! I have friends from Bermuda, Italy, Bulgaria...everywhere! Also, I feel like students here are really accepting of all types. I know I personally have never felt discriminated against in any way.

The best thing about academics is that there are no core classes. I hate history, and I never have to take it again! I also really like how open the professors are. Due to the amount of office hours they hold, I know my professors personally. They teach me how to learn for the sake of knowledge, not for the sake of getting a grade.

The main stereotype is that everyone is pre-med. Am I pre-med? Yes. That being said, two of the most popular majors on campus are International Studies and Writing Seminars. Sure, with Hopkins Hospital, there are pre-meds, but people forget that the hospital isn't the only resource Hopkins has. We are a train ride from DC and New York, right next to the BMA, and have centers for study abroad all over the world.

Connor

Hopkins is actually an awesome school. The campus is absolutely stunning, and there are many resources provided that only students attending a research-oriented university of this caliber are able to experience. Baltimore as a city is very underrated, offering a wide-spectrum of great restaurants, bars, the inner harbor, and sporting venues (Orioles and Ravens stadiums just 15 minutes downtown); all it takes is a little exploring. The least attractive attributes include the general lack of school spirit (i.e. sporting event attendance, student group involvement) and the relatively small social scene.

Overall, students at Hopkins seem relatively uninvolved. There is a huge lack of school spirit or pride, and this is reflected at athletic events which attract little to no fan base. All sports are D3 except Lacrosse, which is D1, and definitely demands the most attention of all sports. Games in the spring usually have somewhat moderate attendance, but more so than any other sport. Also, some games/tournaments are offered downtown at the M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore Ravens), which always makes it a little more exciting. It seems that the school is attempting to counter this lack of school spirit, however, by attempting to develop new traditions, some of which have worked more than others. Within the social scene, greek organizations are relatively significant, with parties, formals, and mixers largely dominating the social scene. Baltimore is an awesome city. Like many, it has good parts and bad parts, but I suppose the transitions in Baltimore between the two are just more distinguished. Having said that, there are many different boroughs that have bars and restaurants ranging from eclectic, to traditional, trashy, upscale, etc. The Inner Harbor offers a somewhat 'touristy' experience with the National Aquarium, stores, and many chain-restuarants. The more you can explore Baltimore, the more you will come to love it.

There is a large asian presence on campus, both from the States and abroad. Another large portion, and often overlapping, is the nerdy, academia-devoted, and socially awkward student that never leaves the library/stops studying. This leaves the "Hopkins 500", or the '500' students at Hopkins that are considered somewhat socially normal and that enjoy going out. This portion of students is actually larger than 500, but the number has a certain ring to it and was established to communicate the relatively small size of the social scene. Within this '500', greek organizations dominate. Even though Hopkins overall doesn't have a HUGE level of involvement in greek organizations, when compared to just those students in the Hopkins 500, the portion involved in greek organizations is very large. Hopkins draws strongly from the tri-state area (New Jersey, New York, CT) as well as PA. Many students either attended reputable public schools (generally in wealthier areas) or attended private school. All Hopkins students are smart, whether they choose to communicate this outwardly or hide it behind borderline alcoholism. As a result, the vast majority of students are extremely focused and driven on obtaining their career or personal goals in life. This atmosphere can be motivating in a certain sense but also overwhelmingly stressful, as everyone puts so much pressure on themselves, and Hopkins is already such a difficult and challenging place to thrive.

Your personal academic experience at Hopkins really depends on what you study. I started out at Hopkins focusing on pre-medical studies (like many young undergrads at Hopkins), and I found all of my classes to be very large (200-300+). The quality of the professor also ranged from the cliche "focused on research and couldn't care less about students", to "truly dedicated and helpful professors that will do anything to assist you". In general however, I have found many students share a similar sentiment that it feels like most Hopkins professors do everything in their power to give you the lowest grade possible and make your academic success as difficult to achieve as possible. Students must assert themselves in order to develop a relationship with the professor and to make themselves known so that the professor might give them an easier time. Other departments have much smaller class sizes, and therefore more intimate (bad word choice?) relationships with their professors. For example, an extremely popular among freshman writing credit course offers a maximum class size of around 15 or so even though hundreds take the course each semester. Therefore class size also depends on what department the course is in. One of my majors is a new major offered by Hopkins, and one that I believe to be a relatively unique course of study. The Global Environmental Change & Sustainability (GECS) major is a multidisciplinary major that incorporates courses in political science, economics, living and non-living earth sciences and environmental science with a 'green' approach, preparing graduates for a generation that will surely revolve around ideas of sustainability and energy conservation. Matched with my other major, Economics, I hope to have a broad knowledge base to enter the world of commerce prepared to deal with the new sustainable and green business ventures that are sure to dominate the 21st century.

At Hopkins, everyone is smart, whether they choose to be blatantly obvious about it or mask it with excessive imbibing habits. The majority of the student body is socially awkward, thus leading to the establishment of the "Hopkins 500", or the '500' students at Hopkins that are actually social and enjoy 'going out'. The figure in reality larger than 500, but this title exists to communicate the smallness of the overall social scene. There are many premeds, and while they are definitely competitive, I have experienced a slightly less cut-throat environment than I had prepared myself for based off of rumors/stories I had been told.

Jacqueline

Gorgeous campus, particularly at night. Close to major cities on the East Coast, (45 min from D.C. by train, 2 hours from NYC by train) top-notch academics, (our international studies and writing seminars programs are both among the top in the country in addition to all the science-type things one would expect) friendly people.

If you want to be involved in it, it either exists or it's really easy to make the club. We have theatre, debate, model un, Chinese lion dancing, club sports, service clubs - just too many to count! Service clubs seem to be very popular, as do research opportunities with professors. A lot of kids volunteer at the hospital, which is a short bus ride away.

If I were to say, "Hopkins students are ____", any word I put in the blank wouldn't describe everyone at the school, unless I put in the word "unique". There is no "typical" or "normal" Hopkins student: I have a Writing Seminars/Computer Science double major as a friend, and a roommate who entered the school wanting to major in Writing Seminars and is now pre-med and a neuroscience major. I guess the one thing we have in common as a student body is that we all work hard and are dedicated.

The simple answer is that it is Hopkins. The academics are, of course, going to be excellent. Apart from that, even from first semester freshman year you have access to your professors and can take small classes. I had three classes of less than 20 people my first semester here, while friends going to other colleges seem to have nothing but large introductory lectures where the professors don't even know your name. Even in my larger classes, our TA sections are capped at 25 people each, so you really get to know the people teaching you.

Not at all. We have pre-med kids like at every school, but the school itself is pretty evenly divided with 1/3 being natural sciences, 1/3 engineering, and 1/3 humanities/social sciences.

I LOVE HOPKINS! I never would've chosen to go anywhere else. It's an awesome city, with so much to do and see. The Inner Harbor is awesome and you can get there for free with various means of free transportation offered around the city. Baltimore is close to New York City and D.C so if you don't like Baltimore you're not stuck here. But, honestly this whole semester I haven't even wanted to leave campus because there's so much awesome stuff to do on campus - sports, plays, outdoors trips, a cappella concerts, parties, etc. Although school spirit isn't a big deal at Hopkins and sports aren't the center point of the school there are so many extracurricular activities you can go to that you will never get bored! One night last week I went straight from class to a jazz concert and then to a pie eating contest and straight to a performance in one of the dining halls and then to an inter mural water polo game at night! If I could change one thing it would be that people actually had school spirit at least with lacrosse. When I tell people I go to Hopkins they usually immediately ask if I'm Pre-Med, which I am not - I am a Sociology Major. But, the humanities departments are so amazing at Hopkins I would never have chosen anything else!

What are your classes like?

Right now I'm taking a lot of Sociology and Public Health classes and I LOVE THEM! The professors are very interested in you doing well and portray the material in a way that makes you want to come to class! I've taken classes in GECS (Global Environmental Change and Sustainability) and the intro classes for this major aren't so great but the upper levels are awesome. The History and English classes are also pretty interesting with a wide variety of classes to choose from. The class size especially when you get out of your intro level classes are very small and the professors are reading to help you when you need it! This is all coming from a humanities perspective, I can't speak for the pre-med and engineering departments!

Academics are difficult. But it really depends on what major and classes you decide to take. You should really talk to upperclassmen or look at reviews of classes before you take them because there are many lower and upper level distribution requirements that are amazing and you can do well in you just need to find the right ones. The science classes are challenging, so if you are coming here for pre-med it's not going to be easy. People are very competitive in those specific majors. For the humanities majors it seems like the professors are there because they love their subject matter which is really awesome. Whereas for the science and math majors it seems like the professors are more there to do research and many of them are hard to understand because English is not their first language. When people say Hopkins is a research university, they weren't kidding. There are soooo many opportunities to do world-class research here so if that's what you're interested in, don't go anywhere else. My favorite class has been Baltimore and the Wire: a focus on major urban issues. It's a class that focuses on the urban issues present in Baltimore and how we can solve them and connects it back to the TV show - the wire. I'm a Sociology Major and I really love it, the department is well organized and esteemed. The teachers are passionate and helpful and the classes are interested and flexible!

Stereotype of students at Hopkins is nerdy med students who study too much and take life a little bit too seriously. Although there are a lot of pre-med students at Hopkins who live in the library you would be surprised by the number of humanities majors on campus (and some engineers and pre-meds) who are involved in student activities and venture out of the library to have some fun! Even those who live in the library emerge on the weekends :)

Kevin

The best thing about Hopkins is the fact that it's such a highly-regarded institution. Because of this, many top-notch students attend this university, opening doors to a wide arrange of networking opportunities. Most people understand both these points, resulting in a few impressed faces during introductions (even if this might be attributed to the "doctor" side of Hopkins). The size of Hopkins is wonderful, both in terms of its student body (about 1200) and campus (about a 10 minute walk across Homewood). However, to get between the different campuses, it's necessary to take the JHMI shuttle. If I had to change something about the school, it would be the public transportation system for students. Being in Baltimore, the options to explore the surrounding areas are vast, but you need to know where you are going and how to get there. JHMI and other shuttles can have somewhat inconvenient schedules, so you'll definitely have to plan ahead. Most of my time on campus is spent either in classes or in the gym. Others, however, do spend a good deal of their time in the library studying; that's just not my preference.

At Hopkins, many of the students are involved in some sort of mentoring/tutoring group, and there are a great number of these groups, including Jail Tutorial, Project Tutorial, Incentive Mentoring Program (IMP) just to name a few. IMP is a group dedicated to mentoring at-risk high school students with not only academics, but also social, economic, legal guidance. Thus, the focus of the group is not solely academic, but covers a wide range of topics and activities. Many of the rest of these questions depend on the students. Many students do keep their doors open, but it also depends on some personal preference (obviously) or the dorm you live in. Athletic events tend to be less popular (mostly Division III sports) except for lacrosse, which Hopkins is very competitive in. Partying depends on the student. Some go as often as once or twice a week, while others never go party. Frats and sororities do play a role in Hopkins life, especially if you want to go party. If not, there's always Inner Harbor, which, among other things, has the National Aquarium (which is awesome). There are usually very good turn outs for any guest speaker events, as the guest speakers are usually pretty famous. Speakers in the past few years included Bob Woodward, Thomas Friedman, Jerry Springer, etc.

The great thing about Hopkins is that there are so many different people from all around the world. For the most part, every one is very friendly as sociable. This is especially the case at the beginning of freshman year, when everyone is new to the school. The diversity at Hopkins really enables the students here to experience something that they likely would not have the chance to do at another university. Financial background: middle class to upper-middle class Politics: Depends on who you talk to (there are politically oriented student groups on campus) Future earning: sometimes discuss future plans, including medical school

Academics are, of course, very rigorous, and professors definitely expect students to come to class prepared. That being said, there are still a wide variety of classes that include some introductory levels that are not as demanding. Students do study quite often; the general guideline is to spend at least 1 hour studying for every hour of lecture. Yet, this is really an aspect of the school that is as much as you make of it. Professors are always willing to make the time to meet with you to discuss anything, ranging from class material to your future plans. However, it's up to you to take the initiative to contact your professors. My major, chemical and biomolecular engineering, is regarded as one of the tougher, if not toughest, major. The average graduating GPA is very low (although I don't know if this is the major GPA, or overall GPA). The coursework for this major is, as expected, challenging. However, I think the training that you get, the problem-solving mindset that is instilled, is definitely worth the work you put in.

Whenever I introduce myself to people back home and tell them that I go to Johns Hopkins, the immediate response is "Oh, so you want to be a doctor?" And, while there ARE many pre-med students at Hopkins, my personal answer is always a resounding "No". Because of the world-reknowned hospital that we have here at the Hopkins campus, the basic stereotype revolves around medicine: students here are expected to want to become a doctor, and, as such, must study 24/7. However, this isn't at all an accurate stereotype of the school. There definitely are students who spend a good majority of their (free) time in the library, studying for midterms, but there are also many many students that participate in all the other activities on campus, from using the gym, exploring the local area, to partying (yes, we do have parties). However, it's pretty safe to say that many of the students that you meet here are hard-working and academically driven. Just not everybody.

Trisha

I applied Early Decision and can't imagine being anywhere else. I really enjoy being here. That's not to say that some weeks are tougher than others, but I have overall enjoyed my time here.

There are 1034928509248093 clubs on campus and TONS of ways to get involved. The student body is interested in so many different things, that I honestly can't say that there is one club or group that most students are in!

Students who go here are really great! They are all pretty easygoing and welcoming! Especially if you are a freshman, EVERYONE is in the same boat- you are all trying to get to know one another and everyone is really social!

The workload, depending on your major, is definitely intense. However, it is very manageable and professors are more than willing to help you out!

Hopkins is known to be full of extremely competitive students who steal each other's notes and spend all of their time in the library. NOT TRUE. Students here are really dedicated to their success, but that certainly does not mean that they would compromise their peers' education! Students are actually relatively relaxed!

Ariel

Overall, Hopkins is the perfect balance between having an absolutely beautiful campus and all the amenities of a city. This is a rare combination that truly makes the school special. This is one of the reasons why I love Hopkins. When I am walking to classes in the spring, I cannot help but fall in love with the gorgeous cherry blossoms that line the campus in addition to the beautiful marble and brick buildings. One thing I would change about the school is the library. It goes down below the ground instead of above ground, and I am all about windows. Fortunately, there is a brand new learning commons being built right next to the library. It seems like a great new study center and should be a great addition to the school. My absolute favorite part about Hopkins is the spring semester, especially because of LACROSSE season! If you've never even seen a lacrosse game, that is totally fine, but that WILL change once you get here. You will suddenly transform into the biggest lacrosse fan. Lacrosse is the only sport here that is Division 1 and we are actually very good, like 2nd best school in the country good in terms of the number of NCAA championships we have won. If you want to go to a school with school spirit, you're in luck because Hopkins Lacrosse season is a blast!

Hopkins is among the most diverse schools in the country. You will find people from a variety of different countries, states, and backgrounds. It's a great environment here and it's nice to branch out and meet people from different places than where you grew up!

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

It's a weekend in April that every Hopkins student looks forward to. It's essientally a huge carnival on campus where they bring in a bunch of food vendors, rides and even a beer garden (for those of age!) Normally this is one of the first really nice weekends, and with 70 and sunny weather everyone hangs out outside all weekend with friends. It's really a great time to relax and bond with friends before students crack down and start thinking about finals. During spring fair, everyone hangs out on "the beach." It's not a real beach, but it's arguably better. On any sunny and warm day, you will see students hanging out on this grassy area in front of the library where you'll commonly find frat brothers blasting music from speakers, students tanning, reading, studying or throwing a frisbee.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

We have sports here, and some people really do support all teams, but this school is really all about lacrosse. If you were a big fan of your high school football team in high school and went to all the games, that school spirit will translate to lacrosse here! Don't get me wrong though, our other Division 3 sports are great as well! Our football team went undefeated and many of our other teams made it to NCAA playoffs.

What's the dating scene like?

Freshman year you don't tend to see too many couples, except for couples that remained from High School. Those High School couples tend to break up around Sophomore year, and people within the school start to get to know each other better. I'd say by senior year a good amount of the school dates, but definitely not everyone. Guys here tend to be a little shy in terms of asking girls out on dates. But you do find a good amount of couples as you get older.

What's the Greek scene like?

About 25% of JHU students go greek. Rush is only in the spring semester, which is great because Freshmen make friends within their class during the fall and then have the opportunity to rush if they wish. I would say Greek Life is a great addition to student life here on campus, but definitely not mandatory. I am in a sorority on campus, Alpha Phi, and I honestly love it. I consider it something I do, but not my entire life here at Hopkins. My advice to Freshmen that are considering rushing is definitely do it. Even if you decide not to join a frat/sorority you meet a ton of other Freshmen throughout the process and it is a great experience. You don't want to regret not rushing later!

Johns Hopkins has arguably some of the smartest professors in the country. We are the number one research institution, meaning our school gives more money to students to perform research than any other school in the country. Over half of the undergraduate students here are involved in some form of research before they graduate. Classes here are great, and are very interactive. Only 5% of classes are over 100 students, which is very rare for a college! 60% of classes are under 20 students, which gives students a real chance to participate and engage in classes. My favorite class so far was Introduction to Social Psychology with Professor Drigotas. Not only is he funny as ever, but he really makes psychology easy to learn and understand through his personal stories that really helped me remember difficult psychology terms. Classes like Social Psych really make me love my classes here!

When high school students think of Johns Hopkins University, their minds tend to picture a bunch of nerdy students who live in the library and never see the sun. They picture students who study 24/7 and do not socialize with other students. This is a huge rumor that tends to be the stereotype of our school. So many students at JHU are involved in a plethora of activities, sports teams, and fraternities/sororities. Everyone at Hopkins finds friends who they can connect with, whether they are fellow teammates, classmates, or roommates. If you're worried about the social life stereotype, no need to be. You can make friends by simply joining a student group, an intramural sport, or Greek Life. You can be a student that attends all the frat parties or be a member of the chess club, or both!

Ruthie

Greek life has a pretty solid presence on campus, but it's by no means exclusionary; you can still be social without pledging with a fraternity/sorority. On any given weekend, there's multiple frat parties or mixers, and sports houses typically have something too. Outside of the party scene, there are always concerts going on nearby, guest speakers, free Friday night screenings of recent movies, poetry readings, and more. The most popular athletic events are the lacrosse games in the spring (our Homecoming is actually in the spring because of lacrosse!) but there's still a good turnout at the Division 3 games like soccer and football in the fall. Specifically for freshmen, people say that the AMR's are the best/most social dorms because they're traditional hall style, but I live in Wolman (a suite-style dorm) and I'm friends with almost everyone on my floor. People's doors are always open, and we all go out together, study together, or just hang out and watch TV in the common room together.

The student body is very diverse, and there are a ton of international students. I agree with another reviewer's statement that the students here tend to self-segregate, but people aren't so clique-y that they aren't accepting of people from other backgrounds/lifestyles. The majority of students are politically aware, and there's a decent mix of left- and right-leaning groups. Even though there are a lot of prep school/private school kids, people don't usually talk about money and the overall student body isn't really preppy. Generally, everyone is really friendly; I remember, even as a pre-frosh (admitted student/pre-freshman), upperclassmen stopping to ask me if I needed help getting anywhere. It's really easy to make friends with upperclassmen through clubs and classes, and there isn't a "pecking order" or hierarchy among the different years like there is at other schools.

Definitely challenging, but definitely worth it. Since I'm a humanities major, my workload consists more of readings and papers than problem sets or lab reports. There have been a couple of "hell weeks," not just for me but for pretty much everyone, where the work just piles up and seems next to impossible. But I find that my classes are so interesting and overlap in so many unexpected ways that the stress is worth it. The professors definitely know what they're talking about, and even go out of their way to hold extra review sessions or meet outside of class, even in lower level courses.

Most people think that Hopkins is a school full of nerds who don't have social lives and are incredibly competitive. I believed these stereotypes when I was applying, too. From personal experience, though, I can safely say that this isn't really the case. Yes, you will find students who do fit this stereotype, but they're not the majority here and, to be real, you're going to find that at any college, not just at Hopkins. And if anyone has any doubts about the social scene here, well – they shouldn't. A bunch of Loyola and Towson kids come to Hopkins parties every weekend, not the other way around. On campus, there are more than plenty of things to do, and that's not including all of the places in the Inner Harbor and Mount Vernon that are just a cab ride away!

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.