Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Ariel

Overall, Hopkins is the perfect balance between having an absolutely beautiful campus and all the amenities of a city. This is a rare combination that truly makes the school special. This is one of the reasons why I love Hopkins. When I am walking to classes in the spring, I cannot help but fall in love with the gorgeous cherry blossoms that line the campus in addition to the beautiful marble and brick buildings. One thing I would change about the school is the library. It goes down below the ground instead of above ground, and I am all about windows. Fortunately, there is a brand new learning commons being built right next to the library. It seems like a great new study center and should be a great addition to the school. My absolute favorite part about Hopkins is the spring semester, especially because of LACROSSE season! If you've never even seen a lacrosse game, that is totally fine, but that WILL change once you get here. You will suddenly transform into the biggest lacrosse fan. Lacrosse is the only sport here that is Division 1 and we are actually very good, like 2nd best school in the country good in terms of the number of NCAA championships we have won. If you want to go to a school with school spirit, you're in luck because Hopkins Lacrosse season is a blast!

Hopkins is among the most diverse schools in the country. You will find people from a variety of different countries, states, and backgrounds. It's a great environment here and it's nice to branch out and meet people from different places than where you grew up!

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

It's a weekend in April that every Hopkins student looks forward to. It's essientally a huge carnival on campus where they bring in a bunch of food vendors, rides and even a beer garden (for those of age!) Normally this is one of the first really nice weekends, and with 70 and sunny weather everyone hangs out outside all weekend with friends. It's really a great time to relax and bond with friends before students crack down and start thinking about finals. During spring fair, everyone hangs out on "the beach." It's not a real beach, but it's arguably better. On any sunny and warm day, you will see students hanging out on this grassy area in front of the library where you'll commonly find frat brothers blasting music from speakers, students tanning, reading, studying or throwing a frisbee.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

We have sports here, and some people really do support all teams, but this school is really all about lacrosse. If you were a big fan of your high school football team in high school and went to all the games, that school spirit will translate to lacrosse here! Don't get me wrong though, our other Division 3 sports are great as well! Our football team went undefeated and many of our other teams made it to NCAA playoffs.

What's the dating scene like?

Freshman year you don't tend to see too many couples, except for couples that remained from High School. Those High School couples tend to break up around Sophomore year, and people within the school start to get to know each other better. I'd say by senior year a good amount of the school dates, but definitely not everyone. Guys here tend to be a little shy in terms of asking girls out on dates. But you do find a good amount of couples as you get older.

What's the Greek scene like?

About 25% of JHU students go greek. Rush is only in the spring semester, which is great because Freshmen make friends within their class during the fall and then have the opportunity to rush if they wish. I would say Greek Life is a great addition to student life here on campus, but definitely not mandatory. I am in a sorority on campus, Alpha Phi, and I honestly love it. I consider it something I do, but not my entire life here at Hopkins. My advice to Freshmen that are considering rushing is definitely do it. Even if you decide not to join a frat/sorority you meet a ton of other Freshmen throughout the process and it is a great experience. You don't want to regret not rushing later!

Johns Hopkins has arguably some of the smartest professors in the country. We are the number one research institution, meaning our school gives more money to students to perform research than any other school in the country. Over half of the undergraduate students here are involved in some form of research before they graduate. Classes here are great, and are very interactive. Only 5% of classes are over 100 students, which is very rare for a college! 60% of classes are under 20 students, which gives students a real chance to participate and engage in classes. My favorite class so far was Introduction to Social Psychology with Professor Drigotas. Not only is he funny as ever, but he really makes psychology easy to learn and understand through his personal stories that really helped me remember difficult psychology terms. Classes like Social Psych really make me love my classes here!

When high school students think of Johns Hopkins University, their minds tend to picture a bunch of nerdy students who live in the library and never see the sun. They picture students who study 24/7 and do not socialize with other students. This is a huge rumor that tends to be the stereotype of our school. So many students at JHU are involved in a plethora of activities, sports teams, and fraternities/sororities. Everyone at Hopkins finds friends who they can connect with, whether they are fellow teammates, classmates, or roommates. If you're worried about the social life stereotype, no need to be. You can make friends by simply joining a student group, an intramural sport, or Greek Life. You can be a student that attends all the frat parties or be a member of the chess club, or both!

Ruthie

Greek life has a pretty solid presence on campus, but it's by no means exclusionary; you can still be social without pledging with a fraternity/sorority. On any given weekend, there's multiple frat parties or mixers, and sports houses typically have something too. Outside of the party scene, there are always concerts going on nearby, guest speakers, free Friday night screenings of recent movies, poetry readings, and more. The most popular athletic events are the lacrosse games in the spring (our Homecoming is actually in the spring because of lacrosse!) but there's still a good turnout at the Division 3 games like soccer and football in the fall. Specifically for freshmen, people say that the AMR's are the best/most social dorms because they're traditional hall style, but I live in Wolman (a suite-style dorm) and I'm friends with almost everyone on my floor. People's doors are always open, and we all go out together, study together, or just hang out and watch TV in the common room together.

The student body is very diverse, and there are a ton of international students. I agree with another reviewer's statement that the students here tend to self-segregate, but people aren't so clique-y that they aren't accepting of people from other backgrounds/lifestyles. The majority of students are politically aware, and there's a decent mix of left- and right-leaning groups. Even though there are a lot of prep school/private school kids, people don't usually talk about money and the overall student body isn't really preppy. Generally, everyone is really friendly; I remember, even as a pre-frosh (admitted student/pre-freshman), upperclassmen stopping to ask me if I needed help getting anywhere. It's really easy to make friends with upperclassmen through clubs and classes, and there isn't a "pecking order" or hierarchy among the different years like there is at other schools.

Definitely challenging, but definitely worth it. Since I'm a humanities major, my workload consists more of readings and papers than problem sets or lab reports. There have been a couple of "hell weeks," not just for me but for pretty much everyone, where the work just piles up and seems next to impossible. But I find that my classes are so interesting and overlap in so many unexpected ways that the stress is worth it. The professors definitely know what they're talking about, and even go out of their way to hold extra review sessions or meet outside of class, even in lower level courses.

Most people think that Hopkins is a school full of nerds who don't have social lives and are incredibly competitive. I believed these stereotypes when I was applying, too. From personal experience, though, I can safely say that this isn't really the case. Yes, you will find students who do fit this stereotype, but they're not the majority here and, to be real, you're going to find that at any college, not just at Hopkins. And if anyone has any doubts about the social scene here, well – they shouldn't. A bunch of Loyola and Towson kids come to Hopkins parties every weekend, not the other way around. On campus, there are more than plenty of things to do, and that's not including all of the places in the Inner Harbor and Mount Vernon that are just a cab ride away!

Ian

I love Hopkins. It's really the perfect size school: not so large that you do not recognize anyone on campus, but not so small that you met your entire class during orientation either. Students here are friendly, brilliantly-smart and talented. The Hopkins name is recognized worldwide (I come from Europe so I have seen this firsthand) for its academic rigor. The nightlife is fun, and Greek life is open to everyone (even those who are non-Greek). My favorite place on campus is Gilman Hall's Hutzler reading room (aka The Hut), a beautiful room with large stained-glass windows that you can study or relax under. If you want a world-renowned school with friendly and very intelligent students and faculty, Hopkins is a great fit for you.

There are literally more than 250 student groups on campus. No group 'category' predominates over the other. Performing arts are a lot of fun and I enjoy attending the dance or a-capella shows. Greek life is present if you want to get involved but it does not predominate the social scene. Dorm life is a lot of fun and people usually leave their dorm rooms open so as to encourage socialization. The nightlife is also fun and helps keep students' busy lives balanced.

Honestly, the student body is what makes Hopkins so fantastic. Students here are very diverse-- whether that be religiously, ethically, sexually, or geographically-- and people are quite accepting because of this. Students wear casual clothing and are not predominantly preppy. I am from Europe and have made friends here from all over the world: Pakistan, India, states across the US, other Europeans, Africans and South Americans! There is no 'typical' Hopkins student and I really enjoy that. There is also a large diversity of majors, and only a minority of students are pre-med or pre-law.

The academics are strong and professors definitely want to get to know you. Despite the fact that one of my introductory classes is 300 people, the professor knows my name and enjoys (sometimes to my dismay) calling on me in class. Students here study hard and the classes are often very challenging, but it is definitely worth the time. I really enjoy going to the office hours my professors hold; it allows me to have 1-on-1 time with my professors and really get to know them as people. The lack of a core curriculum is one of the best things about this school because it allows you to explore fields outside of your own, and really opens your eyes to the world around you. Whether you want to graduate and get a job or go to graduate/medical/law school, Hopkins will prepare you well. Lastly, students are not as competitive as they are stereotyped to be. People are friendly and willing to help you out if you are struggling in a class.

Not true at all. Only around 20% of campus is pre-med, and students are not cut-throat. Granted, academics here are very strong and students do not take them lightly. However, if you are ever struggling in a class people are very friendly and willing to help you out-- I have even been offered a set of notes to help me review for an exam by a complete stranger! We also have great humanities programs (for example, writing seminars) and lots of students are involved in the arts. One of my favorite things to do on campus is actually to go see the numerous a-capella groups perform (check out www.octopodes.org to hear the Octopodes, one of the many a-capella groups).

Katherine

Johns Hopkins has a little of something, for a little of the everyone you'll find on and off campus. There is a school of engineering and a school for the arts and sciences, so between the two, there are plenty of classes from which to choose, and many excited classes to take with equally exciting faculty members. Unlike common perceptions of big research institutions, Hopkins has an unbelievably accessible administration, full of eager staff, up to and including the deans, who will help students navigate any and all problems they may come across in their time in Baltimore. In this respect, Hopkins is a truly remarkable place. Sports aren't very big on campus with the exception of Lacrosse, which is huge, thanks to our Division I, National Championship-winning team, that frequently draws a full stadium to its games in the Spring season. It's to get excited about, and Homecoming is an attraction for current and former students alike.

Hopkins students are known for leading a heavy library life. Expect to work hard and to work long hours, but to enjoy it if you enjoy learning. The professors and other students will challenge you to think and to defend your views, so don't think of coming to class unprepared unless you're prepared to keep quiet!

Allysa

I love how diverse this school is. Here, there is literally a place for everyone to fit in, grow, and succeed. To be honest, I was intimidated to attend such a caliber school and I was not sure what to expect. But instead in the past couple of years, I’ve found that the students here are so dedicated and have many passions in different areas - academics, athletics, community service, and it goes on. It’s amazing, really. I’ve really come to appreciate and respect the different cultures, backgrounds, and knowledge they possess.

That all kids that go here are pre-med. Completely false! As a matter of fact, International Studies is the most popular major here. There is a vast array of majors as well, from Political Science to Writing Seminars to Public Health.

There are always a TON of events sponsored and run by different clubs, organizations, and extracirriculars. I would think many students participate in volunteering - a popular one is JHU Tutorial. Other students play club sports like lacrosse or soccer or participate in the arts - like dance, acapella (very popular), film, and theater. There's also Greek life, which often throws many fun events.

I've said this often before but what really impresses me is the diversity of our student body. You will find every type of student here - from athletes to singers to volunteers to artists. It's really impressive. I think the main common thing that stands out though is the desire to help others and the community. There's always some kind of fundraising and volunteering going on and a lot of the students really seem to care about what's going on in today's world.

It really depends on the classes you take, whether you start right off taking something like Organic Chemistry or intro classes. I would say that all of the classes are challenging to some extent, depending on the material and your strengths. In the past, I've found that some classes have been difficult. However, there is so much support to find at Hopkins - the TAs are extremely helpful (sometimes more than the professors) and there's a Learning Den (individual and group tutoring) and the Writing Center (to get help on papers). But the most help I've gotten from have been my classmates and friends.

Amber

My classmates are helpful, intelligent, outgoing, and most all of great people to be around.

Going back to the time I was a senior in high school, I would tell myself to start early and apply for a lot of scholarships. Not only would I tell myself to apply for more scholarships, but also read into detail the information and programs given in each of the schools I applied to. By using this advice, it would have been better prepared for my transition into college.

The best thing about my school is the amount and accessibility to a lot of resources. I say resources because you can always find the answers to your questions by using resources. If you have a paper or project to do using the resources such as books , research, and newspaper can help you get the information you need to get the assignment done.

barbara

Someone prepared to work hard and play hard.

Don't worry so much! Whether or not you text your crush won't matter a few years from now, heck, it won't matter a few weeks from now. (Also, your'e wasting your time on him. Move on already.)That bum grade that you just got back in AP Government won't ruin your life, and sending that one application out on January 2nd just goes to show that you didn't even want to go to that particular college. Take things as they come, one at a time. You think everyone's counting resume pages and adding SAT scores, but people remember words and actions more readily than numbers. Focus on doing things that don't make you feel like a zombie and don't get so immersed in college applications that you begin rethinking your decision to go to college. Think about how you want your peers to remember you, and be that person.

Marisa

Johns Hopkins offers so many great opportunities when it comes to getting involved. Whatever you interests, whether they are musical, athletic, and especially academic, Hopkins has it. Starting out as a freshman, you are able to apply and join research, labs, and even have the opportunity to work with published and highly esteemed faculty and professionals at the school.

Explore. No matter what you choose to do, where you're going, or who you're with, make sure that you make it an adventure. Discover something every time you walk out the door. I can't even begin to tell you how important that is. Ask lots of questions. Usually being young has its disadvantages, but since when has a disadvantage stopped you? Use it! You're new and starting out in a whole new world. There are so many opportunities, if only you ask about them. People are more willing to help than you might initially assume, so what's wrong with putting yourself out there and asking them to share their knowledge? The most important advice I can give you is to smile. The simple action can get you far simply by just showing people that you're an open and happy person. However, I'm not advising you to smile for others to see. I want you to keep smiling for the feeling for you. It might be hard being alone in a new city and strangers might seem intimidating, but armed with a smile I can assure you that you will never feel alone.

I wish I had known more of the places around campus, and how to access them. There are a lot of amazing things to see around Baltimore, and although a lot of them can be introduced by fellow students and the faculty, some of the best are discovered on your own.

Alexandra

Pre-med and men's lacrosse

Pre-med and men's lacrosse

Dear high school self, Be prepared for the transition to college to be hard. You are not going to know anybody, but neither will anyone else. Go to lots of orientation events to get to know people at the beginning. Expect to be lonely but also know that it will not be that way forever and that other people are experiencing the same difficulties. Work hard in your classes, achieving the best grades possible. Get to know your teachers as they are interesting and engaging people that will make the subjects richer for you. They can also be helpful for writing recommendation letters. Also, get a job that you enjoy. This job will help structure your weeks and will provide money you will need to buy things that make you happy like going out for an ice cream date with your friends! Join a club that you are passionate about and work hard for it. Good work ethic and showing that you care about the mission of the club can lead you to leadership positions in the club. Most of all, be involved and enjoy as much as you can! Love, College self

Ashela

Everyone is hard core and motivated.

Everyone is hard core and motivated.

That it is the best when it comes to medicine. Lacrosse is our best sport.

My college experience was unbelievable. I was far away from home, but going to college far away made me grow up and learn how to care for myself and handle my business. Although I had an idea of what I wanted to do after college, I solidified my plans and created my own path to get to my dream career. I met people who came to be apart of my support system and who were and still are my mentors. I gained valuable experience from my classes, from my community service and extracurricular involvement, and my jobs. College taught me not only to dream big, but to make a plan and stick to that plan while allowing for changes. I learned how to be flexible. College taught me so much about myself, and I appreciate it. Even though there were times I was ready to leave my alma mater, I am glad I stuck it out and learned from everything I experienced.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.