Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Isabella

I love the help our school offers for each class. In just about every subject, there are help sessions where TA's are there to answer any questions students might have for that subject. They are offered throughout the week at multiple times so that students can sign up according to what their schedule permits. Some of these sessions also have a maximum amount of students allowed to attend to ensure that each student gets enough attention. The professors also make themselves extremely available with convenient office hours where I've always found I get all my questions answered.

Isabella, senior year is going to be great, have no worries about that. Work on your people skills a bit more as it will help to make and keep all the new friends you will make. Your prioritizing has never been too much of a problem so keep it up because it is a necessary skill in college. With no parents or professors to constantly keep you on your toes, it?s up to you to make sure you don?t fall behind. Learn that there is going to be a lot of help in college so know how to ask for it when needed. Think of studying for the AP tests like studying for each mid-term. You won?t know EXACTLY what?s on the test, so study efficiently the material you know is the most important. And always remember to know when you?re overloaded. You?ll actually be a lot busier with more things in high school than in college, but always know when to take a breather. Most importantly, start healthy eating habits now as to avoid the freshmen fifteen; trust me, it will hit you like a ton of bricks.

I love that I'm surrounded by people just like me. People who want to do well, work hard, but also know when social and down time are needed. My dorm is awesome. People are friendly, leaving their doors open so you can casually say hi and perhaps get help on homework if needed. The school offers a bunch of clubs and groups so that there is something for everyone to join. The Baltimore colleges have also put together a great bus system that helps college students get around town for free. Last, but not least: tasty food.

Michelle

Get your study habits down pat fast . Study a little everyday and don't procrastinate.

It's well known and respected adn the focus is clearly on academics. There are alot of greaterprofessors and resources for learning.

Just try and have an idea of what it is you want to do in the future, because your school choice plays a huge role in your future, whether it be going to graduate schools, or job placement.

That we are a very academically well established school, which is why we are so good at getting into medical schools

Michelle

I would consider the lack of a student union/student center the worst thing about my school

I would give myself two pieces of advice: join intramural sports and learn to study a little at a time. One of my biggests regrets socially is not joining an intramural sport and getting involved in a fun, healthy social activity. What I miss most about high school is being a part of a soccer team and having teammates. Not only would being a part of a soccer team be fun, but it would also give me a really good outlet when schoolwork gets stressful and it would help keep me in shape. I would also tell my high school self to develop good study habits early on. From three years of college, I've finally learned that going over the material for each class one hour per day is extremely effective for learning and studying. Too many exams were desperately crammed for the few days before an exam and the grades on those exams reflect that.

The opportunities available for learning outside the class room

Tyler

Ironically, I think about this question all the time and I'm fairly certain the adivce I would give myself would be to avoid "senioritis" at all costs. Instead of slacking off my senior year by being an office aid and taking only the two or three classes that I neded in order to graduate, I now realize how beneficial it would have been for me to take classes that would have challenged me to continue working hard. If I had took a heavier course load during my final year of high school, then perhaps I would have done better in my first semester of college.

The worst thing about JHU, in my opinion, is the consistent lag time associated with financial aid office. It seemes to take an unrealistic amount of time to have monetary awards be credited to my account.

As a student in the business program at JHU, I have been the youngest student in every class that I have been in so far. Personally, I do not mind being the "baby" of the class; however, I think some students my age could potentially feel intimidated by the older group of students in each class. Ergo, easily intimidated younger students should not attend the Carey Business School at JHU.

Definitely the medical school. House went to Hopkins, if that gives a good example of the general opinion. That's the first thing that everyone thinks of. The second is definitely lacrosse, but games are definitely smaller than, say, USC football.

Don't be worried about, everything. Seriously. Your grades are fine. Your extracurriculars are fine. Stop freaking out! Instead, you should feel incredibly excited. College isn't a series of exams that decides your future, but it isn't all Animal House -worthy shenannigans either. In between what you're going to learn in the classroom, about yourself, about the world, there's going to be just enough time to enjoy some of the best years of your life with the closest friends you'll ever meet. (P.S. learn to do laundry and separate your darks from your whites. Your clothes were a nice shade of blue-gray the whole first semester)

Everyone is here to be here, not just to drink, not just to study, not just to be in college. Everyone is here because they want exactly what Hopkins offers.

Jose

Johns Hopkins University is very career oriented and challenging academically.

Johns Hopkins University is very career oriented and challenging academically.

Make sure you visit the area where the school is located. Be aware of the kinds of things you like and dislike about the area. Feeling confortable in your environment is very important for academic success.

How much work and reading was necessary in order to do well in my classes.

Tiffany

People who like to relax, are easy going, and are not as nerdy as commonly expected to be.

I think it is important to disregard the name of the school beccause it comes down to whether the school's environment is right for the student, not the ranking of the school. Try to contact people from your school or a relative who went or are currently going to the schools that you are looking at. It always helps to get an inside opinion, other than what the admissions people are trying to tell you. It is also important that the student be open to new experiences that may be completely different from what he or she has experienced in the past. College will be a different experience for everyone, and it's important that it be approached with an accepting manner.

The academic excellence is good because it helps to challenge many people who went through high school easily.

JEWEL

A wonderful school for Writing Majors despite its focus on a pre-med education.

A wonderful school for Writing Majors despite its focus on a pre-med education.

Before matriculating at any college or university, be sure to know as much about the campus as you possibly can. Visit its website, consult friends who attend the school, and most importantly, visit the school for yourself. That way you will gain an unbiased opinion. Be sure to visit overnight and preferably during a time when the college is not having mass visitations. In this way, you will see first-hand what the true spirit of the school is like. In order to gain the most of any college experience, become immediately involved in as many campus activities as your schedule will allow that you like, usually around three-four. These will allow you to meet college friends and enrich your academics. Once you have a core set of activities with which you are involved, be sure to attend all meetings, outings and events. Be outspoken and helpful, and try to be elected to higher positions within the group. This will give you real-world leadership experience. Aside from activities, get to know at least one professor very well each semester, and become fast friends with your academic advisor, who will offer invaluable advice about your major?s best classes.

Much of the social life is based on Greek life, and that college is much easier than high school.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.