Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Margot

Hopkins is a school where you can truly take advantage of every academic venue while still finding new outlets for fun, exploring and just meeting some of the most interesting people from everywhere.

My classmates are all extremely intelligent people who are willing to get together for group study, games, or even just relaxing and grabbing a coffe while discussing everything from physics to history to what's the best coffee in town.

FIrst of all, relax and don't worry. You've done everything to make yourself as appealing as possible to Brown, the school you've dreamt about since middle school. But, don't be surprised when life sends you a twist, one that ultimately proves to be hundreds of times better than what you expected. I won't say where you're going, but it was a longshot that you followed on a whim and have never regretted since. When you get to school, don't worry about making friends. Don't let your parents, especially mom, stress you out when you go dorm shopping (and heads up, you will cry after they drop you off for the first time). You'll meet so many people and feel lost, but after a bit, you'll meet great friends who are willing to watch Disney movies and sing along to Phantom of the Opera while eating oreos on a tiny dorm bed. You'll still love your home, your pets and your old friends, but this new phase of your life is amazing and believe that you'll never want to change a thing.

Matt

Johns Hopkins University is best known for its medical program and hospital. However, every major at the university features stellar faculty and opportunities to meet new, interesting people from all parts of the world. The school boasts success in everything from a world-class hospital to a triumphant lacrosse team to an unrivaled performing arts program.

The kind of person who can handle a 20+ credit workload per semester and is ready to put their nose to the grindstone from day one. The kind of person who asks themselves "what can I learn from this person?" when meeting someone new. The kind of person who welcomes unique opprotunities and isn't afraid to learn from his or her mistakes. The kind of person who doesn't mind living close to Baltimore City Detention Center - one of the most corrupt prisons in the U.S.

TAKE A YEAR OFF BEFORE GOING TO SCHOOL. Listen, buddy - you think it's gonna be easy? Moving across the country to go to school and living on your own is no cakewalk. Kiss your allowance and the roof mommy and daddy generously put over your head goodbye. Instead - I'm offering advice that is counterintuitive to what you will read anywhere else. Take a year off after high school. Work your brains off and out your ears senior year. Be sure what you want to study is going to be worth it and that you have a clearly defined plan for both fun and success. These are the greatest years of your life - spend them well and learn and enjoy everything that is going to come to you. Move to the city your university is in and work for a year or do an internship in the field you want to study. You can always defer your scholarship - but you can't get back the time spent taking uninteresting classes or goofing off at fraternity parties. Go to school once you get that burning sensation in your gut, letting you know you're heading in the right direction.

Nicolette

To be honest, I would tell myself to take more chances in college. When I was a freshmen, I focused almost all of my time and energy on my schoolwork. Although doing well in college academically is definitely important, I found myself at the end of first semester with very few friends, as I had spent most of my time in my room, studying with my roommate. I didn't attend many of the optional orientation events because I'm shy and thought I would be uncomfortable. However, I now wish that I had taken advantage of more of these opportunities, not having realized beforehand how important the social aspect is to the college experience as well. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be brave and push myself out of my comfort zone. I would tell myself not to be afraid of being who I really am. I would tell myself to go to every school event, no matter how lame it might sound. Education isn't the only thing that lasts a lifetime; friendship does too.

The best thing about my school is that it's very well-known and therefore can offer students great opportunities that might not be available at other colleges. I've had the opportunity to hear lectures from an accomplished screenwriter and an astronaut, among others. My astronomy teacher won a Nobel Peace Prize, and our theater department is run by the actor John Astin. The professors are extremely knowledgable in their fields, thereby providing the best education possible.

You shouldn't attend this school if you are not driven and do not have a desire to learn. The coursework is extremely difficult. The teachers know that the students here are smart and capable, so they don't make anything easy. Most teachers are often more than willing to help students who are struggling. However, if students don't take the work seriously, it is easy to get a bad grade or to fail. The students at Hopkins want to learn. They push themselves to do the best that they can.

Kathryn

This school has wonderful opportunities for any individual. My favorite thing about Hopkins is that it is very easy to craft your college experience to be whatever you want it to be. The system of distribution requirements makes double, or even triple, majoring miraculously doable, allowing students to pursue diverse interests. Even beyond academics, the student population is so diverse that it is easy to find people to relate to. There aren’t many cliques; even those in different Greek organizations get along well. It also has a small, liberal arts college feel, while still offering valuable opportunities only available at a research institution, like generous research grants. It's also big enough to where students can meet someone new almost every day, but the community still feels tight-knit. While classes can be difficult and stress does accumulate for everyone sometimes, there are still many outlets to have fun that make the college experience at Hopkins very manageable. There are also many ways to relax, like laying on "the beach," a large grassy area at the front of campus on sunny days with friends. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with my experience at Hopkins, both academically and socially.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Time management is very different from high school, and I think that was the hardest part to get used to. In college, you have a lot more free time, but it can be difficult to use it wisely. It takes time to form good time management skills, and I think that's what I struggled with the most my freshman year.

I wish someone had told me to take more advantage of covered grades. At Hopkins, the first semester of grades are covered, so they never show up on your transcript. I ended up working really hard when I didn't need to!

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I wanted to go to a school that had a great international studies program, great study abroad opportunities, and lots of freedom in scheduling (like no core requirements!), so Hopkins was a great fit!

Hopkins students are often pegged as being addicted to studying, with no interest in having fun. The reality is that Hopkins students have a sort of "work hard play hard" mentality. While the week can be a lot of work, come the weekend Hopkins students really know how to relax and have a good time! All the things to do around campus make it easy to maintain a balance between work and play that fits each individual. For example, while a student may spend most week nights in the library, on Friday they will probably go to a party or hang out with friends, and have all weekend. Students find many ways to release the stress of the week during the weekend.

It’s difficult to discern which groups are the most popular on campus, as there are so many extracurricular activities. Lacrosse is definitely the most popular sport, many people attend the games. Other than Lacrosse, there is not too much interest in other sports around campus. Other popular extracurriculars include a multitude of tutoring organizations, Model United Nations, and Spring Fair committee (they help organize the giant festival that happens in April at Hopkins). I am involved in Model UN, a tutoring organization, and an organization that brings speakers to debate American foreign affairs on campus. 25% of students are involved in Greek life, so it is pretty big around campus (I am in a sorority as well). Still, it is not necessary to be in a sorority or fraternity to have fun on campus. Most parties though, at least the ones that freshmen and sophomores frequent are centered around frats (sororities have no houses). There are also a few bars around campus that students go to. Most students go out on Fridays and Saturdays to drink, but sometimes more. From Sunday to Wednesday though, most students stay in and study. Students who don’t want to drink will still be able to find lots of things to do on campus, and won’t feel uncomfortable with the amount of drinking that goes on. The dorms are social, but

The first thing that comes to mind when asked to describe Hopkins students is their commitment. Most students here are very studious and hardworking, and will put a lot of time into doing well in their classes. Granted, there are still many lazy students. While students are committed to doing well, they still make time to unwind. In my opinion, there are not many cliques. I have been able to drift between many different groups of friends easily. Some people do separate themselves based on race, and the athletes generally stick together, but they still mingle with other groups. There is a gap in the economic status of many students, as most students here either pay for their education with significant aid or straight out of their pockets. As such, it can be uncomfortable for students to talk about money. Generally, I think that Hopkins is fairly diverse and laid back. People do not dress especially well, so there is not pressure to look good all the time either. It’s not uncommon to go to class in sweat pants, although many students will dress nicely anyways. Ultimately, I feel that almost any type of person can find a place at Hopkins where they are comfortable.

Starting answering!Hopkins is definitely known for being strong in the natural sciences, but it’s very strong in other areas as well. I am an International Studies, East Asian studies, and Economics triple major, and my experience in humanities and social sciences classes has been very good. The system of distribution requirements in place of core curriculum is also very convenient, as it gives students a great deal of freedom in choosing their courses and makes double, or even triple majoring, very easy. The professors are great, and in most cases very approachable. Professors in my departments are generally committed to the success of their students. One of my professors in particular gives students a lot of help in finding research grants and emails us every time she hears about an internship or research opportunity. Contrary to many rumors about Hopkins, the professors are not solely focused on their graduate students and research, but do care about the success of their undergrads. Classes do expect a lot from their students, but the work load is not too unmanageable. I also feel that the assignments genuinely give me a better understanding of the material in lectures. Still, because of the work load, it is difficult to get through the semester without pulling at least one all-nighter (or many, in my case). Many days students will spend upwards of 6 hours in the library. There are a lot of large lecture classes (100-200 students), but most upper level classes are smaller (around 10 students. I have had good experiences in both kinds of classes. Overall, I feel that while the academics are demanding, most students believe it’s worth coming to Hopkins for.

Alan

I think this school is a wonderful place. Specifically, Hopkins allows you to pursue academic interests which makes a unique college experience. As an Applied Mathematics and Physics major, the school's absence of a core has allowed me to focus on my passions. That being said, there are aspects of the school I'd like to change. Specifically, most math and science classes are at 8am and have quite a large lecture size so there seems to be an absence of professor student interaction. I love the fact that going to Hopkins has allowed me to form friendships and close relationships with faculty on this campus.

The stereotype of Johns Hopkins is that everyone is science driven and the social life is abysmal. However, that is not the case. Specifically, in my time at Hopkins I have met a variety of people whose academic interests vary along with their professional goals. An aspect of Hopkins that I didn't expect was the heavy presence of Greek life. Although a small percentage of the student population is involved in Greek life, most of the people involved on this campus are in Greek life.

Anna

I love Hopkins, and I can't imagine going elsewhere. The University staff genuinely love helping students, and there's a variety of offices and organizations to help get you situated emotionally, professionally, you name it. The academic programs are rigorous, and most people are dismayed by the lack of grade inflation, but I often hear that Hopkins alumni kick butt in grad school due to the work ethic they acquired during their undergraduate years. If you come from a small school, it may seem daunting to attend a 4,500-person university, but by sophomore or junior year, you'll find that you indirectly know just about everyone. The mentality here is work hard, play hard. The library reaches full capacity around finals, but those same library rats are blackout at the frat or at campus bars as soon as they're finished.

Academics are rigorous--don't expect grade inflation. Professors and generally available outside of lecture for outside help and enjoy getting to know their students. Since this is a research university, many of the studies you learn about actually came from a lab right here in Baltimore. One of my psych professors showed us a video of a study that she did, with her own child. I really enjoy that there aren't any classes that everyone is required to take--individual majors assign distribution credits. A few fond memories I have are with my fellow Applied Math majors, sitting around a dorm common room, laughing from delirium at 4:00 a.m. trying to figure out how to do homework that's due the next day.

Everybody thinks that Hopkins is made up of competitive nerds that never crawl out of D-Level in the library. I think there are definitely a few of those, but for the most part, I've never come across too many. In fact, the majority of people I meet are friendly and happy to go out of their way to help out. It's a tough school--it'll be hard to pull through with your sanity, a social life, and good grades without a little camaraderie and late nights working on homework in your dorm common room.

Tina

You definitely get what you pay for at this school. You get a challenging course load and many opportunities to participate in the real world or to do great research. People complain about how hard it is and how much it costs, but in the end, you come out with valuable tools. Not only do you leave this school with a great quality of education, you also leave this school with a sound work ethic and leadership skills that will undoubtedly make you successful wherever you utilize it. Depending on your major, you have the opportunity to either take classes at the grad school, do research on various campuses, or interact with people in Baltimore. Johns Hopkins is a great school and many people know that.

One stereotype is that there is cut-throat competition at the school. This isn't accurate. Although, there is a little competition, it's certainly not cut-throat. It's very possible to find a person to partner up with for studying or to borrow notes from if you ever miss a class.

Andrea

Everybody needs to have the top grades and GPAs or else they will not get into the top medical schools, because a huge majority of the population of undergraduates at Johns Hopkins University are pre-med.

Someone who is very concerned about weeding out the competition in their field of study. Everyone is concerned about doing better than the next person instead of being concerned about how well they can do by themselves without making comparisons.

If I could go back to being a high school senior, I would give myself advice about focusing more on my own academic abilities, rather than constantly comparing myself to other people. My first semester at Johns Hopkins University consisted of me worrying more about how much I didn’t know, instead of honing onto my already acquired skills to do well. Hopkins students can be very cutthroat when it comes to grades and GPAs, and I thought I wouldn’t have a problem fitting in with being the valedictorian of my high school. But I had a rude awakening when I discovered that I was way behind where I should have been, when compared to many of my classmates. If I could go back in time, I would advise myself to take it all as a challenge, and do all that I could with the study skills that helped me during my high school years. Also I would warn myself to realize the college experience is about one’s own success measured by one’s own capabilities, not by those around you. Personally, it would have made my transition much easier and I would have believed in myself more.

jessie

My classmates are an ecclectic bunch of quirky, intellectual individuals who thrive on challenge and caffeine and are always willing to lend a hand.

Best known for its academic prestige, Hopkins also supports the number one Biomedical Engineering program in the nation as well as an all round outstanding reputation.

Sara-Lee

When I first got into Johns Hopkins, I was super excited! I was 18 and finally going to be away from home with some freedom and a chance to make my own mistakes. Unfortunately, leaving home means not having your family there one hundred percent of the time. I became extremely homesick and hated being in Baltimore. But over the years, I grew up and learned to love Hopkins. Overall, the school is academically challenging but still fun. Although we're all nerds and need to get our homework done before attending that Friday nights frat party, we manage. With Hopkins, location is everything. Being in the city is great because there are lots to do and lots of different forms of cheap/free transportation. Being a medium sized school with about 5,000 enrollees, it is sometimes hard to see new faces but since we're in the center of a college town, meeting new people off campus is super easy. The administration is supportive of all student endeavors and there are staff that can help you with just about everything. I love being at Hopkins and I am definitely going to miss it when I leave. The lacrosse games, the stressful finals, the international students, and the excessive amount of things to do - academic and otherwise - made it all worth it.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Johns Hopkins because of the generous financial package I received. I applied to a bunch of big named schools and got into almost all of them. Johns Hopkins happened to give me the most money and because my family could not afford to pay $54,000 a year out of pocket, there was no question.

Students at Johns Hopkins are super competitive and extremely focused on their studies. Hopkins is NOT a party school to say the least. Granted kids still tend to throw parties and venture out to the frats or the local bars every now and then, they still manage to get their 12 hours of studying in beforehand. Students that are more about just getting by and only being social would feel very out of place here. This school is for serious academic students who enjoy intellectual challenges. How students dress varies because there are many different types of students here. But think of normal college campus kids in your head and that is Hopkins.for you. The students come from all over the country and the world and the financial backgrounds of these students also vary. Everyone and their interests and beliefs differ tremendously.

Academics are super important at Johns Hopkins. Students take their studies extremely seriously and study all the time. To prove this, JHU is building an extension to the library rather than a student center which we do not have. Students are super competitive and some will even refuse to help another with something as simple as homework. Everyone tries to get ahead. There are a variety of different types of classes. There are big ones and small ones ranging from 8 students all the way to 400. Because of these different sizes, there are lectures, seminars, sections, labs, etc. Some professors are nicer than others. Some take the time to get to know you and others do not. Class participation is important only in some classes but I always make an effort to say something every class. My favorite class has been the Italian Language classes I've taken since Freshman year. They are really small and concentrated and the professors take the time to really get to know you and your strengths and weaknesses when learning the language. The most unique class I have taken, however, was an Intersession class about photography and Baltimore titled "Charm City Through the Lens." It took students out to Baltimore and had them explore the city and express it through photographs. I'm majoring in International Studies and the department has been super helpful in all of my endeavors. They give their honest opinion without a second thought. Besides the fact that the competitiveness can get to you and stress you out, education at Hopkins is super challenging and takes a certain amount of self motivation and determination but is definitely proving to be worth it when venturing into the outside world.

There are many different stereotypes when it comes to Johns Hopkins University students. They range depending on different variables including major, gender, year, etc. The main stereotype which usually pertains to all students, however, is that everyone is super competitive and that no one looks out for anyone else. For instance, people aren't too keen on studying in groups or helping out with homework. Everyone just looks out for themselves. Some people even say that when in class, some people will not even lend you a pen or a calculator because they want to do whatever they can to stay ahead of you. The truth about this stereotype is similar to many other stereotypes in the world - it depends on the person. Truthfully, I have come across those people that will act as though they haven't completed their homework as yet so they "cannot help you" with yours or they haven't started to study for a certain exam so they do not want to "study together." But at the same time, I have come across other students that are more than willing to help with homework, studying, and anything else you need help with. Of course everyone is really focused and really busy with homework, exams, work, research, internships, etc. so it cannot be expected for people to bend over backwards for another. Fortunately, the students who refuse to ever help allow you to find the nicer bunch who aren't out only for themselves.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.