Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Mackenzie

Ten years down the road I see myself a succesful plastic surgeon, reconstructing the faces of burn victims and ameliorating cleft lips. My acceptance to Hopkins served as the gateway to my desired future. Hopkins is an oasis for opportunities in medical research, and a deeper and different kind of learning. Here, I cannot survive by simply memorizing. Here, I must truly understand the root of the problem and all of its aspects to solve the problem. Here, I grow into a more cultured individual to better serve the world and live a fulfilling life.

Looking back I would tell myself to relax. Don't worry about all the small details, college essays I wish I would have written differenly, or fret about the distant future. I would tell myself to savor the moment. To enjoy giggling with my high school friends, and capture the feeling of a warm greeting and hug from my mom home. To not be so eager to start a new life, so eager that I forget to live in the now, because it will come in the same due time. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now." Everything will work out just fine. Don't forget to enjoy the road your life begins to take, because it's a much more pleasant road if you realize the gifts and embrace the opportunities you are given.

Every school has its cons. The worst thing about Hopkins is the competition for good grades. It seems as though my best is never enough, there is always more to give even if it doesn't seem possible.

Samita

One of the first things you'll realize about this place, is that it's fun. Despite the academic rigor in place, Hopkins affiliates have a sense of humor. Students regularly receive videos of flash mobs or lip dubs to funny Hopkins jingles. Even the deans and the staff are involved! I remember for April Fool's Day during my sophomore year, Hopkins wrote an article about finally surrendering to frustration and removing the 's' from Johns [Hopkins], and even photoshopped photographs of staff removing the letter 's' from landmark signs. I didn't expect Hopkins to participate (so cleverly!) in April Fool's Day - what highly ranked school really embraces its inner child? Hopkins may surprise you, but it will not bore you.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

The best is that there's always something to do on campus during the day. The worst is that there isn't always much to do during the evening/night.

What's the Greek scene like?

I'm not the right person to ask.

Describe a typical weekend.

If I want to have fun here, I'll usually have a small party at my house, go to one of my friends', or go out in the city to a restaurant or lounge. I also like late night movies, and that's always an option.

What do students complain about most?

The work load, for sure.

Nerdy and pre-med, but I really don't think that's a true fit.

What's the dating scene like?

A normal mix, I'd say. It's not weird to see couples, and it's not weird to see single students.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Race and sexuality gets talked about pretty openly around here. Not in a bad way, in a raising awareness kind of way.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

I don't like the library, but a lot of people go there to study... and socialize. There are a lot of student centers and quiet rooms in the academic buildings. I prefer those to the library. A new learning center is also opening up this summer, so there will be more than enough places to work.

What are the most popular classes offered?

General Chem, Bio, Physics and those kinds of classes for all the pre-meds. Beyond that though, it's really up to you. Popularity isn't a factor here when you're picking classes. It's about interest.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

It's a top school, it's pretty, it'll introduce you to a new city, and it'll open doors for you (even if you're not pre-med).

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

I had a pretty moving night this year when we held a 9/11 10th Anniversary Commemoration. People, in mass, can be extremely supportive.

No, I wouldn't say so. I don't fit it, and neither do my friends.

Describe the dorms.

They really look like any other dorms at any other college. Small, with the same looking furniture. But there are a lot of suite type dorming, which is great because I hate communal bathrooms.

Hopkins does things like First Night and Lighting of the Quads, which are annual traditions where you pretty much stand outside, mingle, and eat free food. They try to have a bunch of class-year related events, and if you go to them, I'm sure you'd have a good time with your friends.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Meal plans are expensive, but the food is good! The freshmen place to eat, the FFC, has gotten better and better every year and works buffet style. There is also a place in the middle of campus, that is unfortunately only open during lunch. Nolan's is offered for dinner from 5 to midnight. And the food options off campus are extensive enough that you won't get bored.

Not sure - I haven't really been on too many other college campuses. I imagine the amount of free food we have, the free crafts (ie make your own road sign), etc.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Food! Right off campus, there's a strip on St. Paul with a bunch of places to eat. But you should definitely go beyond that. There's a cool city out here - a small Little Italy, the Harbor, Towson, Hampden, and even Greenmount if you're used to a place like Brooklyn, NY like I am.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports isn't big here. Even lacrosse games are lacking in terms of how many fans are sitting on the bleachers. Homecoming is in the spring, and I'll admit, I only go for the free food.

It's really pretty! The campus is one of the biggest reasons that made me pick Hopkins over Cornell. It's small too, which is very convenient (about 10 minutes from end to end) although it doesn't look small at all.

What are your classes like?

I take a bunch of "writing intensive" courses, because I'm a Sociology and Africana Studies double major. They involve a lot of discussion and a lot of research, but I really enjoy academic discussions about topics I like, even if I have to write 100 pages worth of final papers.

Tell us about your professors.

Depending on the professor, you'll get really fun ones, or ones who are a bit more strict. Overall, though, if you speak up and get to know them, you won't hate anyone. I can't remember every hating any professor of mine.

While there is a large minority population here, Hopkins is very adamant in teaching you that diversity comes in many different shapes, sizes, and perspectives. There are students of different races (and a wide array of cultural student groups to prove this, and a multicultural student center that supports minority students), different religions (brought together by the Interfaith Center), and different sexual orientations (you may join student organizations and talk with professional staff who are openly gay, learn in Queer Theory classes, as well as help LGBT communities through community service initiatives). There are people all along the spectrum of socioeconomic status. Yet, you don't feel ostracized because you are different. Hopkins works to show that a different perspective is a valuable one, and I think the students here actively agree.

You can't expect to do well at a school like this, and not study. But you never have to study alone. Professors and TAs encourage group work and study sessions, and more so, they hope you speak with them during office hours. I have created close relationships with some of my professors; I even text some of them! Professors here want you to succeed, and will be more than happy to mentor you while you figure out how to succeed. The classroom setting, coupled with the one-on-one sessions that students take advantage of with their professors, teach you critical thinking skills, public speaking skills, as well as how to solve a problem, many times in an interdisciplinary field or from a multidimensional perspective. Hopkins prepares you on how to make the best of your educational opportunities, and how to enjoy working late because you sculpt your major, your courses, and your responsibilities according to your interests.

When I hear people talking about Hopkins, the image that comes to their heads is of competitive pre-med students who spend most of their nights and weekends at the library. And considering that many people also see Baltimore as a dangerous city, that factor gives students more reason to stay secluded in the Hopkins bubble, right? Wrong. I don't think I have pulled a single all-nighter here at Hopkins, and I'm now a senior. Most of my friends, and many of the students I know, have learned how to prioritize their studies, and still have time to go out to dinner at the Harbor, or watch a movie at Towson, or participate in community fairs and festivals throughout Baltimore. I do not doubt that you can find some students who are interested in studying alone, but I have not met any. Since my freshman year, I have studied with friends, classmates, and colleagues in our common rooms, the hallways, the cafeterias, and the quad. You learn to build a community, and when you're around intellectual people like yourself, you learn very quickly that it is much more valuable to socialize with them and learn something new, than purely from a textbook.

Baltimore is the most underrated part of the college experience at Hopkins. When I was an incoming freshman, I thought that Baltimore was boring and dangerous. As a senior, I now know about the great neighborhoods, restaurants, movie theaters and things to do around the city. Academically, Hopkins and Baltimore feed off of eachother--Baltimore is a city-wide classroom for whatever you are studying on campus. Baltimore is also a great social city--really affordable, with a wide range of things to do.

Hopkins is definitely intense, but in the best way. It's a place for independent learners. The school won't hold your hand, but they trust you to pursue your own interests, self-motivate, take your studies and run with them. Because of this, you can do individual research, internships and projects. You can personalize your degree to a greater extent than I've seen at a similar-caliber school. Students often take graduate-level classes, engage in internships, pursue research, and study abroad to pursue their academic interests. I

Stereotypes of Hopkins students usually characterize the student body as cutthroat and science-centric. I think that both stereotypes used to be true, but are no longer valid. Based on my experience, Hopkins students are motivated and ambitious, but not cutthroat. Students compete not with eachother but against their own expectations. Hopkins remains the best research institution in the US, but has vastly diversified its academic strengths in the past few decades. Many students come to Hopkins knowing only its science programs, but find once they are there that Public Health, Writing Seminars, International Relations or Economics is more interesting to them. As an undergrad, I see a huge range of majors and interests every day.

Erica

From the students and staff to the facilities and location, Hopkins is top notch in every regard. The students are driven and intelligent, campus has a comfortable, enthusiastic vibe, the facilities are incredible (and ever-expanding), and Baltimore has so much to offer. There is a wide array of students hailing from every corner of the globe and there is no one mold for the "typical Hopkins student." Any type of person can easily find a niche here at Hopkins and everyone is so welcoming and friendly. The staff members have made prestigious contributions in every field and they really have an enthusiasm to teach the students in their particular subject area. The facilities at Hopkins are state of the art and even more facilities designed for students and by students are currently being constructed. Baltimore has so much to offer Hopkins students: culture, history, music, dining, and more! Baltimore is a great city to live in during your college years and it is so accessible to New York and Washington DC on the weekends! Overall, Hopkins is an amazing university and I'm so glad I chose to attend!

Most people think that Hopkins students are incredibly competitive and unfriendly. This is incredibly false and I have found the students to be one of the best attributes of the university.

Deedee

What are your classes like?

It depends. I've had the pre med classes and labs and they varied. I had 2 amazing professors for organic chemistry and even though they were large classes, we could ask questions during lecture. I love the social science and humanities classes I've had here. Most of those have been small but a few were also lecture like. Part of my favorite thing here being a Public Health major is that I've gotten to take classes at the grad school. It's something to look into!

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

When they were filming scenes for "the social network" movie.I definitely tried to get in, but alas, I was told to move out of the way.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

So the sports scene isn;t that huge except for lacrosse in the spring. However, our teams are actually amazing. xcountry, track, swimming, baseball...

I love this school because it makes you independent. There is a wealth of resources here in terms of facilities and professors and opportunities,but you have to grab them--and there's a lot of support for that. Students are very independent minded and most come in knowing at least what they want to major in; many already know the ultimate career paths they'd like to take, so think about that in terms of atmosphere. The faculty here interact with the students through the SGA and through smaller,more intimate student forums/gatherings, which is really nice.

Describe the dorms.

For freshmen, you have the choice of suite style living with a kitchenete (wolman), traditional dorm styles (AMRs), and a mix of the 1 (buildings A and B). The social factor honestly depends on the people on your floor!

Come with an open mind and prepared to reach out when you need to.

I don't know if we've made it a tradition yet, but this is the third year JHU has done a "Thank You" video...and this year it was in the form of a flash mob. I love it.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Gilman Hall! Quiet but beautiful.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

The Public Health Major. Look it up.

Tell us about your professors.

I am a senior and I've honestly had about 2 professors I'd say were not good at all--and you see that at any school. I have professors who know me by name and email me things even though I no longer take their classes. I've never been turned down by a professor even in a big class like organic chemistry or physics.

What do students complain about most?

How hard it is. Not gonna lie...it is very challenging here. Professors expect a lot out of us and sometimes it's tough lovin'. However, it's very doable. Also a lot of it depends on your attitude. Are you going to break down every time you get a grade you don't like? Or will you just deal and move on?

Imaging green landscapes with brick pathways and Georgian architecture. Cherry blossoms in the spring. JHU looks very smart and intellectual.

So students here are rumored to be pre med, cutthroat, and anti social. Yes, there is a sizable pre med population, but please don't forget that there are sooooo many students who are humanities or social science people. Cutthroat? Please. You won't be able to do really well unless you get help from people and correspond over material. The library is always full of study groups every single day. And we are definitely social!

What's the Greek scene like?

JHU is about a third Greek but it's actually a great balance. If you're not greek, you don't feel pressured or out of the loop;. Greek and non Greek hang out just fine.

I'm constantly impressed with the people I meet every day at Hopkins. All of the students are incredibly smart, talented people, and I've made so many fantastic friends at this school. The professors, despite being leading researchers in their fields, are usually very down to earth and approachable outside of class. The school is a great size - I feel like I know most of the students in my graduating class, but at the same time, Hopkins doesn't feel like a small school at all. There are a ton of opportunities for internships, research, etc: students are very involved with volunteer work on campus and in the community, and it's relatively easy to get a research position at the undergraduate campus, the public health campus, or the medical campus.

About 25% of the school is involved in Greek life, but there are always non-Greeks at parties. There are a lot of community service organizations that do work in Baltimore, at local elementary schools, local hospitals, etc. Students seem to be very involved in service since there are so many service organizations. My experience in campus dorms has been great: students are very friendly and open, and I've met some of my best friends from living on the same hall. Homecoming and Spring Fair are two of the biggest campus events, both held in the spring, that nearly the whole campus attends. There is also plenty to do off campus: the school provides shuttles that take students to the Inner Harbor or Towson for free, where students can go to the mall, movies, grocery store, restaurants, museums, and much more. It is also very cheap to travel to D.C., which is another population destination for students.

There's a wide variety of personalities and interests represented at Hopkins. There are also so many student groups here which is a really easy way to meet people with similar interests. There aren't many segregated groups at Hopkins: Greeks interact with no-Greeks, athletes with non-athletes, etc.

Hopkins isn't easy. However, to get used to the college workload, freshmen take all classes pass/fail during their first semester. Also, classes tend to be pretty small - they tend to cap seminars at around 15 people. In my experience the professors are very personable and very willing to help if you take the time to go to their office hours and show that you really care about their class. The school's academic requirements are very flexible - Hopkins has no "core curriculum." Instead, students must take x amount of science classes, x amount of humanities classes, etc. This way, students take a broad range of subjects but can choose only classes that interest them.

Everyone is pre-med - totally false. International relations is a really popular major, and our Writing Seminars and Art History departments are among the best in the country. Most of my friends actually aren't pre-med and are very well rounded students.

Kate

The best thing about Hopkins is the people. The students are talented and passionate; they are super fun. Everyday, I am amazed at the brilliance of the teachers and what I learn in class. It's really cool to be in a place where outstanding discoveries go on everyday.

Hopkins is a hard school and I wouldn't suggest coming here if you don't like to work. However, if you want to go to a school that challenges you and makes you learn more everyday than you learn in a week in high school, then Hopkins is a good school for you. I like that Hopkins doesn't have a core curriculum; I love humanities (so it's not that I don't want to take classes outside of my major), but I especially love french. I wouldn't be able to get a french minor at any school that has a core curriculum. Students are competitive, but cooperative. Students are driven (and all nerds at heart), so it's not uncommon to have conversations about politics, current events, or other intellectual subjects. Professors are brilliant (and for the most part, pretty good) although there are some bad ones. All of them are approachable and some of them are better in a smaller setting. The school is more focused for grad school/med school in the sciences. Although I want to get a job, I enjoy getting a theoretical background.

A stereotype at Hopkins is that we are all cutthroat people that will do anything to succeed. Yes, we are dedicated and driven students. I have NEVER encountered anyone who tried to make me fail so that they could do better. In fact, I have done a lot of work in groups where people definitely try to help others understand the material.

Joseph
Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The HUT in Gilman Hall is a smaller library that is a really relaxing place to get work done.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The academics really challenge you and you have to be committed to what you're doing, but it has proven to be rewarding again and again.

The stereotype seems to be of a school with only pre-meds who spend all their time studying, but there's definitely a strong presence in the social sciences and humanities, as well as students who spend the majority of their time out partying.

Miranda

This is a good school for people who care about academics, but who also want to participate in sports/extracurriculars. School does come first here, but people also spend time on other activities. It's a midsized school--you don't know everyone, but you'll recognize some people when you walk around campus. The administration is trying to do more for students, and alums/older students say that things are improving on that front. There's a lot of great people at this school, both students and professors.

Student groups - JHUMUNC (model UN) is really big, and Tutorial Project (elementary school tutoring) is really popular as well. There's about 350 student groups though, and practically everyone I know is involved with at least two of them. Dorm life is awesome, I've met most of my really good friends that way. There are parties always on Friday and Saturday, and sometimes on weeknights (usually smaller events). Frat parties are more for underclassmen, and then upperclassmen do apartment/house parties.

Most students are from the Northeast or California, and are on the wealthier side. Students are not particularly politically active. Students of all types are accepted here, but there's not a huge LGBT population here, and it's not that diverse. Students interact with each other, but tend to migrate towards people similar to themselves socioeconomically.

Classes are tough, and there's no grade inflation. Students study a lot, and learn a ton. The workload is more than at other schools. It's normal to take 5 classes a semester. Professors care about their work and want you to go to office hours. No core curriculum, which is awesome.

That we're cutthroat, and spend all our time in the library. People do spend a lot of time in the library, but they also spend a lot of time on their extracurriculars/having fun. People aren't cutthroat, but they do definitely work hard.

Eliza

I love my school, no doubt about it. I love that everyone here holds themselves to a certain level of intelligence and drive. I love that the girl who got a perfect score on her chemistry test can also be found dancing at a frat on a Friday night. I love being in a city but always feeling safe because of the high level of security. I love that we have at least two Division One teams so there is no lack of school spirit. If I could change anything about the school, I would set up dining differently. Currently the dining halls are set up so that each grade is somewhat forced to eat in separate cafeterias. This makes inter-grade bonding a bit difficult. Also the lack of a student union makes students unhappy, although there is discussion currently going on for one to be built in the next few years.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I wanted a school that didn't have a core curriculum and had a creative writing program. JHU has a loose liberal arts requirement for classes outside my major that didn't force me to take any classes I didn't want to, but also encouraged me to try new things.

Students here take studying and fun very seriously. It is common to hear students say "work hard, play hard" going into the weekend. There is a large Jewish community here, which I personally had no expected. However, the community here is very accepting of an race, religion or sexual preference; not once have I come across someone making fun of anyone for any of these things. The campus isn't as politically active as others although it seems to lean towards the left a little bit. I would also say that majority of the students fall into the middle or upper class.

This is where many of the stereotypes are right on. Academics are hard here, but that's what people should expect from any top 20 school. Fortunately, first semester freshmen have covered grades meaning as long as one gets a C- she receives a Satisfactory on her transcript. When employers or graduate schools look at the transcript, all that will appear is whether the student passed or not. This is a nice way to transition incoming freshmen into a more difficult learning environment. There is also no lack of learning aids -- we have the Writing Center, the Learning Den, and countless TA sessions.

People assume that students at Johns Hopkins are cut throat students who are completely concerned with grades and not about enjoying the full college experience. And of course everyone is pre-med. Neither of these stereotypes are accurate; yes students do take their classes seriously and yes we do have a lot of pre-meds, but there is a lot more that the students have to offer. For example, I am a writing seminars major. Few people know that Johns Hopkins has the second best creative writing program in the country. Also, we do like to have a good time here. Students frequently go out Thursday through Saturday and there never is a lack of parties or frats to go to. Of course if you aren't interested in that, there is no pressure to go out. There are always campus run activities going on and a large group of students attend.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.