Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Baltimore is the most underrated part of the college experience at Hopkins. When I was an incoming freshman, I thought that Baltimore was boring and dangerous. As a senior, I now know about the great neighborhoods, restaurants, movie theaters and things to do around the city. Academically, Hopkins and Baltimore feed off of eachother--Baltimore is a city-wide classroom for whatever you are studying on campus. Baltimore is also a great social city--really affordable, with a wide range of things to do.

Hopkins is definitely intense, but in the best way. It's a place for independent learners. The school won't hold your hand, but they trust you to pursue your own interests, self-motivate, take your studies and run with them. Because of this, you can do individual research, internships and projects. You can personalize your degree to a greater extent than I've seen at a similar-caliber school. Students often take graduate-level classes, engage in internships, pursue research, and study abroad to pursue their academic interests. I

Stereotypes of Hopkins students usually characterize the student body as cutthroat and science-centric. I think that both stereotypes used to be true, but are no longer valid. Based on my experience, Hopkins students are motivated and ambitious, but not cutthroat. Students compete not with eachother but against their own expectations. Hopkins remains the best research institution in the US, but has vastly diversified its academic strengths in the past few decades. Many students come to Hopkins knowing only its science programs, but find once they are there that Public Health, Writing Seminars, International Relations or Economics is more interesting to them. As an undergrad, I see a huge range of majors and interests every day.

Erica

From the students and staff to the facilities and location, Hopkins is top notch in every regard. The students are driven and intelligent, campus has a comfortable, enthusiastic vibe, the facilities are incredible (and ever-expanding), and Baltimore has so much to offer. There is a wide array of students hailing from every corner of the globe and there is no one mold for the "typical Hopkins student." Any type of person can easily find a niche here at Hopkins and everyone is so welcoming and friendly. The staff members have made prestigious contributions in every field and they really have an enthusiasm to teach the students in their particular subject area. The facilities at Hopkins are state of the art and even more facilities designed for students and by students are currently being constructed. Baltimore has so much to offer Hopkins students: culture, history, music, dining, and more! Baltimore is a great city to live in during your college years and it is so accessible to New York and Washington DC on the weekends! Overall, Hopkins is an amazing university and I'm so glad I chose to attend!

Most people think that Hopkins students are incredibly competitive and unfriendly. This is incredibly false and I have found the students to be one of the best attributes of the university.

Deedee
What are your classes like?

What are your classes like?

It depends. I've had the pre med classes and labs and they varied. I had 2 amazing professors for organic chemistry and even though they were large classes, we could ask questions during lecture. I love the social science and humanities classes I've had here. Most of those have been small but a few were also lecture like. Part of my favorite thing here being a Public Health major is that I've gotten to take classes at the grad school. It's something to look into!

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

When they were filming scenes for "the social network" movie.I definitely tried to get in, but alas, I was told to move out of the way.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

So the sports scene isn;t that huge except for lacrosse in the spring. However, our teams are actually amazing. xcountry, track, swimming, baseball...

I love this school because it makes you independent. There is a wealth of resources here in terms of facilities and professors and opportunities,but you have to grab them--and there's a lot of support for that. Students are very independent minded and most come in knowing at least what they want to major in; many already know the ultimate career paths they'd like to take, so think about that in terms of atmosphere. The faculty here interact with the students through the SGA and through smaller,more intimate student forums/gatherings, which is really nice.

Describe the dorms.

For freshmen, you have the choice of suite style living with a kitchenete (wolman), traditional dorm styles (AMRs), and a mix of the 1 (buildings A and B). The social factor honestly depends on the people on your floor!

Come with an open mind and prepared to reach out when you need to.

I don't know if we've made it a tradition yet, but this is the third year JHU has done a "Thank You" video...and this year it was in the form of a flash mob. I love it.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Gilman Hall! Quiet but beautiful.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

The Public Health Major. Look it up.

Tell us about your professors.

I am a senior and I've honestly had about 2 professors I'd say were not good at all--and you see that at any school. I have professors who know me by name and email me things even though I no longer take their classes. I've never been turned down by a professor even in a big class like organic chemistry or physics.

What do students complain about most?

How hard it is. Not gonna lie...it is very challenging here. Professors expect a lot out of us and sometimes it's tough lovin'. However, it's very doable. Also a lot of it depends on your attitude. Are you going to break down every time you get a grade you don't like? Or will you just deal and move on?

Imaging green landscapes with brick pathways and Georgian architecture. Cherry blossoms in the spring. JHU looks very smart and intellectual.

So students here are rumored to be pre med, cutthroat, and anti social. Yes, there is a sizable pre med population, but please don't forget that there are sooooo many students who are humanities or social science people. Cutthroat? Please. You won't be able to do really well unless you get help from people and correspond over material. The library is always full of study groups every single day. And we are definitely social!

What's the Greek scene like?

JHU is about a third Greek but it's actually a great balance. If you're not greek, you don't feel pressured or out of the loop;. Greek and non Greek hang out just fine.

I'm constantly impressed with the people I meet every day at Hopkins. All of the students are incredibly smart, talented people, and I've made so many fantastic friends at this school. The professors, despite being leading researchers in their fields, are usually very down to earth and approachable outside of class. The school is a great size - I feel like I know most of the students in my graduating class, but at the same time, Hopkins doesn't feel like a small school at all. There are a ton of opportunities for internships, research, etc: students are very involved with volunteer work on campus and in the community, and it's relatively easy to get a research position at the undergraduate campus, the public health campus, or the medical campus.

About 25% of the school is involved in Greek life, but there are always non-Greeks at parties. There are a lot of community service organizations that do work in Baltimore, at local elementary schools, local hospitals, etc. Students seem to be very involved in service since there are so many service organizations. My experience in campus dorms has been great: students are very friendly and open, and I've met some of my best friends from living on the same hall. Homecoming and Spring Fair are two of the biggest campus events, both held in the spring, that nearly the whole campus attends. There is also plenty to do off campus: the school provides shuttles that take students to the Inner Harbor or Towson for free, where students can go to the mall, movies, grocery store, restaurants, museums, and much more. It is also very cheap to travel to D.C., which is another population destination for students.

There's a wide variety of personalities and interests represented at Hopkins. There are also so many student groups here which is a really easy way to meet people with similar interests. There aren't many segregated groups at Hopkins: Greeks interact with no-Greeks, athletes with non-athletes, etc.

Hopkins isn't easy. However, to get used to the college workload, freshmen take all classes pass/fail during their first semester. Also, classes tend to be pretty small - they tend to cap seminars at around 15 people. In my experience the professors are very personable and very willing to help if you take the time to go to their office hours and show that you really care about their class. The school's academic requirements are very flexible - Hopkins has no "core curriculum." Instead, students must take x amount of science classes, x amount of humanities classes, etc. This way, students take a broad range of subjects but can choose only classes that interest them.

Everyone is pre-med - totally false. International relations is a really popular major, and our Writing Seminars and Art History departments are among the best in the country. Most of my friends actually aren't pre-med and are very well rounded students.

Kate

The best thing about Hopkins is the people. The students are talented and passionate; they are super fun. Everyday, I am amazed at the brilliance of the teachers and what I learn in class. It's really cool to be in a place where outstanding discoveries go on everyday.

Hopkins is a hard school and I wouldn't suggest coming here if you don't like to work. However, if you want to go to a school that challenges you and makes you learn more everyday than you learn in a week in high school, then Hopkins is a good school for you. I like that Hopkins doesn't have a core curriculum; I love humanities (so it's not that I don't want to take classes outside of my major), but I especially love french. I wouldn't be able to get a french minor at any school that has a core curriculum. Students are competitive, but cooperative. Students are driven (and all nerds at heart), so it's not uncommon to have conversations about politics, current events, or other intellectual subjects. Professors are brilliant (and for the most part, pretty good) although there are some bad ones. All of them are approachable and some of them are better in a smaller setting. The school is more focused for grad school/med school in the sciences. Although I want to get a job, I enjoy getting a theoretical background.

A stereotype at Hopkins is that we are all cutthroat people that will do anything to succeed. Yes, we are dedicated and driven students. I have NEVER encountered anyone who tried to make me fail so that they could do better. In fact, I have done a lot of work in groups where people definitely try to help others understand the material.

Joseph
Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The HUT in Gilman Hall is a smaller library that is a really relaxing place to get work done.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The academics really challenge you and you have to be committed to what you're doing, but it has proven to be rewarding again and again.

The stereotype seems to be of a school with only pre-meds who spend all their time studying, but there's definitely a strong presence in the social sciences and humanities, as well as students who spend the majority of their time out partying.

Miranda

This is a good school for people who care about academics, but who also want to participate in sports/extracurriculars. School does come first here, but people also spend time on other activities. It's a midsized school--you don't know everyone, but you'll recognize some people when you walk around campus. The administration is trying to do more for students, and alums/older students say that things are improving on that front. There's a lot of great people at this school, both students and professors.

Student groups - JHUMUNC (model UN) is really big, and Tutorial Project (elementary school tutoring) is really popular as well. There's about 350 student groups though, and practically everyone I know is involved with at least two of them. Dorm life is awesome, I've met most of my really good friends that way. There are parties always on Friday and Saturday, and sometimes on weeknights (usually smaller events). Frat parties are more for underclassmen, and then upperclassmen do apartment/house parties.

Most students are from the Northeast or California, and are on the wealthier side. Students are not particularly politically active. Students of all types are accepted here, but there's not a huge LGBT population here, and it's not that diverse. Students interact with each other, but tend to migrate towards people similar to themselves socioeconomically.

Classes are tough, and there's no grade inflation. Students study a lot, and learn a ton. The workload is more than at other schools. It's normal to take 5 classes a semester. Professors care about their work and want you to go to office hours. No core curriculum, which is awesome.

That we're cutthroat, and spend all our time in the library. People do spend a lot of time in the library, but they also spend a lot of time on their extracurriculars/having fun. People aren't cutthroat, but they do definitely work hard.

Eliza

I love my school, no doubt about it. I love that everyone here holds themselves to a certain level of intelligence and drive. I love that the girl who got a perfect score on her chemistry test can also be found dancing at a frat on a Friday night. I love being in a city but always feeling safe because of the high level of security. I love that we have at least two Division One teams so there is no lack of school spirit. If I could change anything about the school, I would set up dining differently. Currently the dining halls are set up so that each grade is somewhat forced to eat in separate cafeterias. This makes inter-grade bonding a bit difficult. Also the lack of a student union makes students unhappy, although there is discussion currently going on for one to be built in the next few years.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I wanted a school that didn't have a core curriculum and had a creative writing program. JHU has a loose liberal arts requirement for classes outside my major that didn't force me to take any classes I didn't want to, but also encouraged me to try new things.

Students here take studying and fun very seriously. It is common to hear students say "work hard, play hard" going into the weekend. There is a large Jewish community here, which I personally had no expected. However, the community here is very accepting of an race, religion or sexual preference; not once have I come across someone making fun of anyone for any of these things. The campus isn't as politically active as others although it seems to lean towards the left a little bit. I would also say that majority of the students fall into the middle or upper class.

This is where many of the stereotypes are right on. Academics are hard here, but that's what people should expect from any top 20 school. Fortunately, first semester freshmen have covered grades meaning as long as one gets a C- she receives a Satisfactory on her transcript. When employers or graduate schools look at the transcript, all that will appear is whether the student passed or not. This is a nice way to transition incoming freshmen into a more difficult learning environment. There is also no lack of learning aids -- we have the Writing Center, the Learning Den, and countless TA sessions.

People assume that students at Johns Hopkins are cut throat students who are completely concerned with grades and not about enjoying the full college experience. And of course everyone is pre-med. Neither of these stereotypes are accurate; yes students do take their classes seriously and yes we do have a lot of pre-meds, but there is a lot more that the students have to offer. For example, I am a writing seminars major. Few people know that Johns Hopkins has the second best creative writing program in the country. Also, we do like to have a good time here. Students frequently go out Thursday through Saturday and there never is a lack of parties or frats to go to. Of course if you aren't interested in that, there is no pressure to go out. There are always campus run activities going on and a large group of students attend.

Nicholas

I really have enjoyed my time at Hopkins. It has been able to expand my horizons and offer several unique opportunities. The size is just right, large enough that there are still people you haven't met but you can always find a friendly face around. The social life is surprisingly good and there is usually something going on during the weekends. School pride is mainly focused around Lacrosse, but there have been good turnouts for other sports.

Greek life is pretty popular and is something which I'm involved in. There are many other student groups, so its hard to choose a few as "most popular". Students typically get involved in several, and are able to become very involved on campus. Students in dorms are usually very willing to leave their doors open and are receptive to visitors. The party scene relies heavily on Greek life, but occasional there are individuals who host something.

There are a lot of very social, normal people at Hopkins. If you are active in the social community, you'll easily create a good core group of friends. There are definitely a lot of anti social people who spend much of their time in the library, but you'll find that they won't have much of an impact on the social life as a whole.

Academics are challenging for sure, but everything is within reason. If you put the effort into it you'll get good grades. Whether or not a professor knows your name depends on a lot, such as the size of the class and how active you are in it. Students study a lot, and often work in groups to better understand a topic. Many out of class discussions are intellectually themed, and many are inspired by in class discussions. No core curriculum is very nice, as it is one less thing to worry about completing before graduation.

The biggest stereotype is that we're all competitive, cut throat pre meds. This is very inaccurate.

Melanie

People tend to think of Hopkins students as nerdy, stay-in-the-library-all-day type students. While this is may be true for 15-20% of the student body, there definitely is a social life at Hopkins if you are looking for one. Those who actively get involved and are looking to have a good time, have fun. There are tons of frat parties on the weekends and there are constantly events going on around campus. Your experience at Hopkins doesn't have to be one spend in the library 24/7; it can be as good as you want to make it.

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.