Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Johns Hopkins University

Nicholas

I really have enjoyed my time at Hopkins. It has been able to expand my horizons and offer several unique opportunities. The size is just right, large enough that there are still people you haven't met but you can always find a friendly face around. The social life is surprisingly good and there is usually something going on during the weekends. School pride is mainly focused around Lacrosse, but there have been good turnouts for other sports.

Greek life is pretty popular and is something which I'm involved in. There are many other student groups, so its hard to choose a few as "most popular". Students typically get involved in several, and are able to become very involved on campus. Students in dorms are usually very willing to leave their doors open and are receptive to visitors. The party scene relies heavily on Greek life, but occasional there are individuals who host something.

There are a lot of very social, normal people at Hopkins. If you are active in the social community, you'll easily create a good core group of friends. There are definitely a lot of anti social people who spend much of their time in the library, but you'll find that they won't have much of an impact on the social life as a whole.

Academics are challenging for sure, but everything is within reason. If you put the effort into it you'll get good grades. Whether or not a professor knows your name depends on a lot, such as the size of the class and how active you are in it. Students study a lot, and often work in groups to better understand a topic. Many out of class discussions are intellectually themed, and many are inspired by in class discussions. No core curriculum is very nice, as it is one less thing to worry about completing before graduation.

The biggest stereotype is that we're all competitive, cut throat pre meds. This is very inaccurate.

Melanie

People tend to think of Hopkins students as nerdy, stay-in-the-library-all-day type students. While this is may be true for 15-20% of the student body, there definitely is a social life at Hopkins if you are looking for one. Those who actively get involved and are looking to have a good time, have fun. There are tons of frat parties on the weekends and there are constantly events going on around campus. Your experience at Hopkins doesn't have to be one spend in the library 24/7; it can be as good as you want to make it.

Sam

At Hopkins, there are many different groups that students can get involved in. One of the most popular groups are sports teams. Many students are members of an athletic team. I myself am a member of the men's tennis team, and it is like a family within the organization. My teammates and I all get along great and tend to go out a lot together. However, for students not involved with athletics, there are countless clubs and other opportunities that Hopkins offers for students, whether it be volunteering, outdoors clubs, choral groups, etc. Most all students find their niche soon and get involved early in something that they are interested in. Aside from clubs, frats and sororities are also options for students. Frats are pretty big at Hopkins, with rush and pledging in the spring. However, sororities are smaller. Sororities do not have houses at Hopkins, and thus are not as big as frats. However, many girls still get involved, and I have heard that they are a great experience all the same.

The student body at Johns Hopkins University is incredibly diverse. There are students from all over the world, not just the United States, and there are multitudes of cultures and backgrounds represented. The great thing about Hopkins is that nobody feels left out because of their background. Students tend to be very accepting to differences and welcome them with open arms. What makes Hopkins different from other universities is that there is not a certain type of person that seems to take over the campus. If you are an athlete, there are plenty of other athletes you can feel connected with. If you like to party a lot, there's a place for you with a large social scene. On the other hand, if you prefer to stay in on the weekends, there are plenty of students who feel the same way as well. In this way, Hopkins avoids what I consider a social hierarchy. Everybody fits in to their own niche and nobody is left looking on from an outsider's point of view.

Academics at Johns Hopkins University are incredibly rigorous. The course work is heavy, and teachers expect you to not only keep up with assignments and attend every lecture, but also expand your knowledge through readings and other recommended activities. Students tend to study a lot at Hopkins, and the library is always full. Because of Hopkins' reputation as such a prestigious university, and because of the difficulty level of the classes, students are very competitive. Many are willing to do whatever necessary to get ahead and stand out from their peers, even if it sometimes requires questionable activities. The classes I have taken thus far have been mainly large lectures, so participation is limited, but other professors make participation a big part of the overall class experience. Despite the difficulty, Hopkins students generally feel a sense of pride with their schoolwork, and take it very seriously. It is not uncommon to hear a conversation about quantum physics or macroeconomics taking place in the cafeteria. It is this passion for learning that makes Hopkins stand out from other universities, and why students at this school tend to be better prepared for life outside of college.

When I first stepped on campus, my notion was that the campus was going to be mainly composed of students of Asian-American or Caucasian descent, with a lack of a major social scene. I was wrong on both accounts. First of all, the student body of Hopkins is very diverse, with many different ethnicities and backgrounds represented. There are many international students as well, which adds to the diversity and creates a great blend of cultures. When I came to Hopkins, my expectations for a great social scene were very low. However, within the first week of classes, my views changed. While there are definitely a group of kids who prefer to avoid the social scene and stick to the peace and quiet of their rooms, there are just as many kids looking to have a good time on weekends. There are always parties going on, and the whole student body is always welcome. The social world at Hopkins was one of the things that impressed me within the first few weeks of attendance in that I realized that the entire stereotype about great academic schools having poor social scenes was false.

Sydney

I'm really glad I chose to come to Hopkins. I've been intellectually challenged to levels that I never knew I would be able to reach. I also now live in the city of Baltimore, which has endless opportunites, not to mention, a great social scene. There are free buses that connect all the colleges and the biggest attractions. And the best thing of all are the diverse group of friends I've made. They all have their own special talents and abilities, but we all come together to make the best college community possible.

There are a lot of different groups on campus! The most popular is probably the tutorial project, where students tutor elementary school kids. Also, if you come to the Hop, you have to love lacrosse! We have one of the best teams in the nation! As far as partying goes, there are lots of different levels of partying. Some kids don't party at all, some kids party a ton. No matter what level of social life you want, you'll probably find a group that fits your style.

The students at Hopkins are all so different. First and foremost, I have met students from so many different countries! I have friends from Bermuda, Italy, Bulgaria...everywhere! Also, I feel like students here are really accepting of all types. I know I personally have never felt discriminated against in any way.

The best thing about academics is that there are no core classes. I hate history, and I never have to take it again! I also really like how open the professors are. Due to the amount of office hours they hold, I know my professors personally. They teach me how to learn for the sake of knowledge, not for the sake of getting a grade.

The main stereotype is that everyone is pre-med. Am I pre-med? Yes. That being said, two of the most popular majors on campus are International Studies and Writing Seminars. Sure, with Hopkins Hospital, there are pre-meds, but people forget that the hospital isn't the only resource Hopkins has. We are a train ride from DC and New York, right next to the BMA, and have centers for study abroad all over the world.

Connor

Hopkins is actually an awesome school. The campus is absolutely stunning, and there are many resources provided that only students attending a research-oriented university of this caliber are able to experience. Baltimore as a city is very underrated, offering a wide-spectrum of great restaurants, bars, the inner harbor, and sporting venues (Orioles and Ravens stadiums just 15 minutes downtown); all it takes is a little exploring. The least attractive attributes include the general lack of school spirit (i.e. sporting event attendance, student group involvement) and the relatively small social scene.

Overall, students at Hopkins seem relatively uninvolved. There is a huge lack of school spirit or pride, and this is reflected at athletic events which attract little to no fan base. All sports are D3 except Lacrosse, which is D1, and definitely demands the most attention of all sports. Games in the spring usually have somewhat moderate attendance, but more so than any other sport. Also, some games/tournaments are offered downtown at the M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore Ravens), which always makes it a little more exciting. It seems that the school is attempting to counter this lack of school spirit, however, by attempting to develop new traditions, some of which have worked more than others. Within the social scene, greek organizations are relatively significant, with parties, formals, and mixers largely dominating the social scene. Baltimore is an awesome city. Like many, it has good parts and bad parts, but I suppose the transitions in Baltimore between the two are just more distinguished. Having said that, there are many different boroughs that have bars and restaurants ranging from eclectic, to traditional, trashy, upscale, etc. The Inner Harbor offers a somewhat 'touristy' experience with the National Aquarium, stores, and many chain-restuarants. The more you can explore Baltimore, the more you will come to love it.

There is a large asian presence on campus, both from the States and abroad. Another large portion, and often overlapping, is the nerdy, academia-devoted, and socially awkward student that never leaves the library/stops studying. This leaves the "Hopkins 500", or the '500' students at Hopkins that are considered somewhat socially normal and that enjoy going out. This portion of students is actually larger than 500, but the number has a certain ring to it and was established to communicate the relatively small size of the social scene. Within this '500', greek organizations dominate. Even though Hopkins overall doesn't have a HUGE level of involvement in greek organizations, when compared to just those students in the Hopkins 500, the portion involved in greek organizations is very large. Hopkins draws strongly from the tri-state area (New Jersey, New York, CT) as well as PA. Many students either attended reputable public schools (generally in wealthier areas) or attended private school. All Hopkins students are smart, whether they choose to communicate this outwardly or hide it behind borderline alcoholism. As a result, the vast majority of students are extremely focused and driven on obtaining their career or personal goals in life. This atmosphere can be motivating in a certain sense but also overwhelmingly stressful, as everyone puts so much pressure on themselves, and Hopkins is already such a difficult and challenging place to thrive.

Your personal academic experience at Hopkins really depends on what you study. I started out at Hopkins focusing on pre-medical studies (like many young undergrads at Hopkins), and I found all of my classes to be very large (200-300+). The quality of the professor also ranged from the cliche "focused on research and couldn't care less about students", to "truly dedicated and helpful professors that will do anything to assist you". In general however, I have found many students share a similar sentiment that it feels like most Hopkins professors do everything in their power to give you the lowest grade possible and make your academic success as difficult to achieve as possible. Students must assert themselves in order to develop a relationship with the professor and to make themselves known so that the professor might give them an easier time. Other departments have much smaller class sizes, and therefore more intimate (bad word choice?) relationships with their professors. For example, an extremely popular among freshman writing credit course offers a maximum class size of around 15 or so even though hundreds take the course each semester. Therefore class size also depends on what department the course is in. One of my majors is a new major offered by Hopkins, and one that I believe to be a relatively unique course of study. The Global Environmental Change & Sustainability (GECS) major is a multidisciplinary major that incorporates courses in political science, economics, living and non-living earth sciences and environmental science with a 'green' approach, preparing graduates for a generation that will surely revolve around ideas of sustainability and energy conservation. Matched with my other major, Economics, I hope to have a broad knowledge base to enter the world of commerce prepared to deal with the new sustainable and green business ventures that are sure to dominate the 21st century.

At Hopkins, everyone is smart, whether they choose to be blatantly obvious about it or mask it with excessive imbibing habits. The majority of the student body is socially awkward, thus leading to the establishment of the "Hopkins 500", or the '500' students at Hopkins that are actually social and enjoy 'going out'. The figure in reality larger than 500, but this title exists to communicate the smallness of the overall social scene. There are many premeds, and while they are definitely competitive, I have experienced a slightly less cut-throat environment than I had prepared myself for based off of rumors/stories I had been told.

Jacqueline

Gorgeous campus, particularly at night. Close to major cities on the East Coast, (45 min from D.C. by train, 2 hours from NYC by train) top-notch academics, (our international studies and writing seminars programs are both among the top in the country in addition to all the science-type things one would expect) friendly people.

If you want to be involved in it, it either exists or it's really easy to make the club. We have theatre, debate, model un, Chinese lion dancing, club sports, service clubs - just too many to count! Service clubs seem to be very popular, as do research opportunities with professors. A lot of kids volunteer at the hospital, which is a short bus ride away.

If I were to say, "Hopkins students are ____", any word I put in the blank wouldn't describe everyone at the school, unless I put in the word "unique". There is no "typical" or "normal" Hopkins student: I have a Writing Seminars/Computer Science double major as a friend, and a roommate who entered the school wanting to major in Writing Seminars and is now pre-med and a neuroscience major. I guess the one thing we have in common as a student body is that we all work hard and are dedicated.

The simple answer is that it is Hopkins. The academics are, of course, going to be excellent. Apart from that, even from first semester freshman year you have access to your professors and can take small classes. I had three classes of less than 20 people my first semester here, while friends going to other colleges seem to have nothing but large introductory lectures where the professors don't even know your name. Even in my larger classes, our TA sections are capped at 25 people each, so you really get to know the people teaching you.

Not at all. We have pre-med kids like at every school, but the school itself is pretty evenly divided with 1/3 being natural sciences, 1/3 engineering, and 1/3 humanities/social sciences.

I LOVE HOPKINS! I never would've chosen to go anywhere else. It's an awesome city, with so much to do and see. The Inner Harbor is awesome and you can get there for free with various means of free transportation offered around the city. Baltimore is close to New York City and D.C so if you don't like Baltimore you're not stuck here. But, honestly this whole semester I haven't even wanted to leave campus because there's so much awesome stuff to do on campus - sports, plays, outdoors trips, a cappella concerts, parties, etc. Although school spirit isn't a big deal at Hopkins and sports aren't the center point of the school there are so many extracurricular activities you can go to that you will never get bored! One night last week I went straight from class to a jazz concert and then to a pie eating contest and straight to a performance in one of the dining halls and then to an inter mural water polo game at night! If I could change one thing it would be that people actually had school spirit at least with lacrosse. When I tell people I go to Hopkins they usually immediately ask if I'm Pre-Med, which I am not - I am a Sociology Major. But, the humanities departments are so amazing at Hopkins I would never have chosen anything else!

What are your classes like?

Right now I'm taking a lot of Sociology and Public Health classes and I LOVE THEM! The professors are very interested in you doing well and portray the material in a way that makes you want to come to class! I've taken classes in GECS (Global Environmental Change and Sustainability) and the intro classes for this major aren't so great but the upper levels are awesome. The History and English classes are also pretty interesting with a wide variety of classes to choose from. The class size especially when you get out of your intro level classes are very small and the professors are reading to help you when you need it! This is all coming from a humanities perspective, I can't speak for the pre-med and engineering departments!

Academics are difficult. But it really depends on what major and classes you decide to take. You should really talk to upperclassmen or look at reviews of classes before you take them because there are many lower and upper level distribution requirements that are amazing and you can do well in you just need to find the right ones. The science classes are challenging, so if you are coming here for pre-med it's not going to be easy. People are very competitive in those specific majors. For the humanities majors it seems like the professors are there because they love their subject matter which is really awesome. Whereas for the science and math majors it seems like the professors are more there to do research and many of them are hard to understand because English is not their first language. When people say Hopkins is a research university, they weren't kidding. There are soooo many opportunities to do world-class research here so if that's what you're interested in, don't go anywhere else. My favorite class has been Baltimore and the Wire: a focus on major urban issues. It's a class that focuses on the urban issues present in Baltimore and how we can solve them and connects it back to the TV show - the wire. I'm a Sociology Major and I really love it, the department is well organized and esteemed. The teachers are passionate and helpful and the classes are interested and flexible!

Stereotype of students at Hopkins is nerdy med students who study too much and take life a little bit too seriously. Although there are a lot of pre-med students at Hopkins who live in the library you would be surprised by the number of humanities majors on campus (and some engineers and pre-meds) who are involved in student activities and venture out of the library to have some fun! Even those who live in the library emerge on the weekends :)

Kevin

The best thing about Hopkins is the fact that it's such a highly-regarded institution. Because of this, many top-notch students attend this university, opening doors to a wide arrange of networking opportunities. Most people understand both these points, resulting in a few impressed faces during introductions (even if this might be attributed to the "doctor" side of Hopkins). The size of Hopkins is wonderful, both in terms of its student body (about 1200) and campus (about a 10 minute walk across Homewood). However, to get between the different campuses, it's necessary to take the JHMI shuttle. If I had to change something about the school, it would be the public transportation system for students. Being in Baltimore, the options to explore the surrounding areas are vast, but you need to know where you are going and how to get there. JHMI and other shuttles can have somewhat inconvenient schedules, so you'll definitely have to plan ahead. Most of my time on campus is spent either in classes or in the gym. Others, however, do spend a good deal of their time in the library studying; that's just not my preference.

At Hopkins, many of the students are involved in some sort of mentoring/tutoring group, and there are a great number of these groups, including Jail Tutorial, Project Tutorial, Incentive Mentoring Program (IMP) just to name a few. IMP is a group dedicated to mentoring at-risk high school students with not only academics, but also social, economic, legal guidance. Thus, the focus of the group is not solely academic, but covers a wide range of topics and activities. Many of the rest of these questions depend on the students. Many students do keep their doors open, but it also depends on some personal preference (obviously) or the dorm you live in. Athletic events tend to be less popular (mostly Division III sports) except for lacrosse, which Hopkins is very competitive in. Partying depends on the student. Some go as often as once or twice a week, while others never go party. Frats and sororities do play a role in Hopkins life, especially if you want to go party. If not, there's always Inner Harbor, which, among other things, has the National Aquarium (which is awesome). There are usually very good turn outs for any guest speaker events, as the guest speakers are usually pretty famous. Speakers in the past few years included Bob Woodward, Thomas Friedman, Jerry Springer, etc.

The great thing about Hopkins is that there are so many different people from all around the world. For the most part, every one is very friendly as sociable. This is especially the case at the beginning of freshman year, when everyone is new to the school. The diversity at Hopkins really enables the students here to experience something that they likely would not have the chance to do at another university. Financial background: middle class to upper-middle class Politics: Depends on who you talk to (there are politically oriented student groups on campus) Future earning: sometimes discuss future plans, including medical school

Academics are, of course, very rigorous, and professors definitely expect students to come to class prepared. That being said, there are still a wide variety of classes that include some introductory levels that are not as demanding. Students do study quite often; the general guideline is to spend at least 1 hour studying for every hour of lecture. Yet, this is really an aspect of the school that is as much as you make of it. Professors are always willing to make the time to meet with you to discuss anything, ranging from class material to your future plans. However, it's up to you to take the initiative to contact your professors. My major, chemical and biomolecular engineering, is regarded as one of the tougher, if not toughest, major. The average graduating GPA is very low (although I don't know if this is the major GPA, or overall GPA). The coursework for this major is, as expected, challenging. However, I think the training that you get, the problem-solving mindset that is instilled, is definitely worth the work you put in.

Whenever I introduce myself to people back home and tell them that I go to Johns Hopkins, the immediate response is "Oh, so you want to be a doctor?" And, while there ARE many pre-med students at Hopkins, my personal answer is always a resounding "No". Because of the world-reknowned hospital that we have here at the Hopkins campus, the basic stereotype revolves around medicine: students here are expected to want to become a doctor, and, as such, must study 24/7. However, this isn't at all an accurate stereotype of the school. There definitely are students who spend a good majority of their (free) time in the library, studying for midterms, but there are also many many students that participate in all the other activities on campus, from using the gym, exploring the local area, to partying (yes, we do have parties). However, it's pretty safe to say that many of the students that you meet here are hard-working and academically driven. Just not everybody.

Trisha

I applied Early Decision and can't imagine being anywhere else. I really enjoy being here. That's not to say that some weeks are tougher than others, but I have overall enjoyed my time here.

There are 1034928509248093 clubs on campus and TONS of ways to get involved. The student body is interested in so many different things, that I honestly can't say that there is one club or group that most students are in!

Students who go here are really great! They are all pretty easygoing and welcoming! Especially if you are a freshman, EVERYONE is in the same boat- you are all trying to get to know one another and everyone is really social!

The workload, depending on your major, is definitely intense. However, it is very manageable and professors are more than willing to help you out!

Hopkins is known to be full of extremely competitive students who steal each other's notes and spend all of their time in the library. NOT TRUE. Students here are really dedicated to their success, but that certainly does not mean that they would compromise their peers' education! Students are actually relatively relaxed!

Johns Hopkins University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.