Huntingdon, PA
Juniata College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Juniata College

My classmates were driven, ambitious, caring and passionate.

My classmates were driven, ambitious, caring and passionate.

Volleyball, it isn’t everything! As you know, mom and dad have been telling you repeatedly that you are going to college for an education. You will realize the $122,000 debt you accrued was just to pay the school for you to play volleyball. Just so you know you will realize volleyball will get lost in the shadows. As a gift for graduating, mom and dad will finance 80% of your debt because they feel it is their parental duty since you are their only and only. Unfortunately, during the fall of 2011, mom will inform you that she has been laid off and can longer pay for your student loans. Thankfully, you found yourself a job and lift the burden off your parents’ shoulders and take over the responsibility of paying Sallie Mae monthly. Please know, during your college years you will become the most influential person on campus. Professors, students and faculty will gravitate to your inviting personality and want to be a part of your life. It may not feel like it now, but you will have a positive impact on each person you come into contact with. You will save your best friends from suicide.

I wish I would have been taught how to be mentally prepared to handle to stress of being a full time athlete and full time student.

Jen

Though you might hear students grumbling about the small size or the rural location, overall, Juniata is a very warm and welcoming campus. Everyone knows everyone, and students are generally friendly. Professors are open and inviting, and you get the impression that they care about you as individuals.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

Nobody needs to phone home everyday; it's better to adapt to the college environment by not constantly talking to your parents I think.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

I know several people who don't drink and still go to parties. Though most people who go to parties obviously drink, I don't think it will be a huge deal if you don't.

What do students complain about most?

People tend to complain about how small Huntingdon is and the lack of things to do surrounding campus. In addition, some people feel that Juniata is not hard partying enough.

What do people really wear to class?

Most students here are very casual and will even wear sweatpants often to class. However, there are those who dress up too, me included.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing about freshman year is finding the people who you're truly compatible to be friends with. Freshman year, everyone wants to be friends because they don't know many people, but you have to realize who are genuine or not.

I wish someone had told me to find an internship the summer after my freshman year. Internships are really important for your resume and post-college opportunities, and I feel that I didn't know that my freshman year.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Juniata because it is one of the few liberal arts colleges that have a Communication department and major. Overall, I don't regret coming here at all because I've grown so much, discovered my academic passion, and met some lifelong friends.

Certain athletic events, such as volleyball or basketball, draw many students. Greek life is nonexistent here, so many people meet their friends through sports teams or clubs. Though many couples do date on campus, in general, many students prefer to stay single during their undergrad years.

Juniata is a pretty liberal campus, and I feel that the LGBT community is relatively accepted and integrated here compared to many other schools. Students come from mostly middle-class backgrounds, and there are many international students on campus.

Juniata's science program is well-known and difficult. In addition, students here have a heavy courseload compared to many other liberal arts colleges. Unlike at many other schools, students seem to place a priority on studying over partying. Like any liberal arts education, you are required to take a variety of classes, which serve to make you a more well-rounded person overall.

The stereotype of Juniata students is that we are all a bunch of hippies or a bunch of science nerds. Though there are plenty of both on campus, there are also a wide variety of other people at this school.

Joe

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? There are plenty of organized sports: football, field hockey, m & w rugby

Usually a fairly high workload and good teachers. Most teachers here care deeply about their subjects. These aren't giant-school PhD's who only care about research. Some teachers are not so good, some mediocre, most good, a few truly spectacular.

Stereotypes are for high schoolers. Freshmen come in thinking that stereotypes are still a part of school culture and behave as such. Oh silly freshmen. Sure there are science kids and rich pre-med students, but college is about becoming an individual

Laura

Juniata is good for people looking for a small school. It is not a party school, and not a lot of exciting stuff happens, so it is best for people who want to study. The biggest complain that students generally have is the food at Baker Refectory. The people are nice, and the professors are generally very helpful.

Volunteer groups, such as Habitat for Humanity, are very popular. People go to the events on campus, but they are not a huge deal to most students. The parties at Juniata are on Friday and Saturday nights. On Saturday nights, the school-sponsored events are always available, but people spend a lot of time just hanging out with friends.

There is not a lot of diversity at Juniata. There are people of many races, religions, political beliefs, social classes, and sexual orientations, but most of the students seem to be white, vaguely-Christian, heterosexual, American, upper-middle-class democrats. However, most of the students of Juniata are open to others' opinions, characteristics, and lifestyles. There are groups of students devoted to different political and social causes, with varying levels of involvement.

In such a small school, professors generally know who you are and are very friendly. The smaller classes put a lot of value in participation. As a liberal arts school, a variety of classes are required, so the school is best for people interested in learning more than just their major.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

I will never forget the Earth and Folk Festival. Not very many people came because the weather was bad and there was confusion over scheduling and most of the performers canceled at the last minute, but I had fun with the people who did come. We drew on the plaza floor with chalk, and we blew bubbles, and we played with the unused sound equipment, and we listened to an eclectic selection of music. Good times.

Describe a typical weekend.

East Housing is the place to go for getting drunk and partying. Usually there are a few other parties going on during the weekend. The college has events on the weekends, including concerts, comedians, plays, dinners, and school-sponsored parties. Most students spend their weekends with hanging out or studying or partying, depending on their interests. When the weather is nice, there are lots of students hanging out or playing outside, but the campus looks dead when the weather is bad.

Mountain Day is always fun. It is a random, unexpected day in fall when classes are canceled, and students can go on a trip (usually to the lake). There is also the Storming of the Arch, when freshmen try to run past upperclassman rugby players and through an arch. This event is moderately violent and very entertaining to watch. Lobsterfest is also enjoyable, when all of the clubs set up tables and students look around and sign up for clubs. Lobster is also served on the quad. Juniata has lots of fun traditions.

The students at Juniata are known for being geeks and nerds, and this is mostly true. Stoners and jocks and partiers go to Juniata, but they are not in the majority. Still, if you want to go to Juniata, you can find people with non-nerdy interests; you might just have to look a bit harder.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The main eating areas in Juniata are Baker and Muddy. Baker has a cafeteria format, with several areas with different food options that change each day. As a result, the quality can be hit-and-miss. One day they might make an amazing baked chicken; the next day, there might be bland fish. There are sometimes vegetarian, organic dishes made of ingredients from the school's farm and cooked by students, and those are generally good. Muddy was originally called Muddy Run after a river near Juniata; now it is officially Eagle's Landing, but no one calls it that. It is set up like a food court. The food is pretty good and consistent, but it can be repetitive. People usually go there for quick meals. There are some restaurants and coffee houses in town, like Boxer's and Standing Stone, and they are pretty good, but students mostly go to those places for special occasions.

POEs, or Programs of Emphasis, are basically majors, except that they allow more flexibility. Students are able to create their own POEs, and their advisers will help them find classes that match their field of study.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Juniata is in a small town called Huntingdon. The town has a Sheetz store and a grocery store and several thrift stores and a small movie theater and some restaurants and a Dollar General; those are pretty much the only interesting places that students can walk to. There is also a Wal-Mart about two miles away. Huntingdon is nice enough, and the people are polite, but don't expect a lot of excitement.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

There certainly are sports at Juniata, but they aren't a big deal to most students. Juniata is mostly known for its awesome volleyball team. Students don't seem to get very excited about sports events, and generally go to them just to hang out.

The campus is mostly the quad, the buildings around the quad, and the buildings on the other side of the street from the quad, with a few buildings scattered farther away. You are unlikely to have to run very far from class to class. It is small, but there are lots of trees and open spaces. The buildings generally have large, white columns and red-brick walls. The campus is well-cared-for and beautiful all year long.

What are your classes like?

Some classes, like Organic Chemistry, are very large, but most classes have fewer than thirty people. In small classes, students get a lot of one-on-one interaction with their professors. Even in large classes, the professors are approachable and willing to answer questions. The classes can be challenging. Many science majors are required to take difficult classes in their Freshman year, weeding out the students who wouldn't be able to handle it. However, the classes can be worth it if you really want to learn.

Kayci

I absolutely love my college. I think it is the perfect size. Yes it is a very small school (approximately 1600 students). However, if you are okay with the small town atmosphere, Juniata is has so many opportunities available to the students. Since the school is so small, the class sizes are also small as well. There are no more than 20 students in all my classes. My professors know me personally and I get special help whenever I ask for it. This is a major advantage I think Juniata has. I was walking down the sidewalk one day and professor I only had once from freshmen year said hi to me and even remembered my name. Of course you'll always have that one "off" professor or faculty member, but 97% of all the administration is extremely welcoming, friendly, and would do anything for you! I find the image of our school varies. For people that do not live in Pennsylvania, a lot of out of state people say "Juniata? Where/what is that??" But then on the other hand, I have also heard of people in Minnesota who never went to our college talk about how great Juniata is! I am from central PA so all my friends know about Juniata. Everytime I talk about Juniata they always say, "Oh yea you go to that 'smart' person's school." I just find it funny that we are referred to as a smart school whereas Penn State would not have that description necessarily. Overall, Baker food is always questionable, the small classes are fantastic, Women's field hockey, basketball, and volleyball are the sports you should go to, and east is the place for your average Saturday night parties. And that's all you need to know about Juniata.

I honestly believe Juniata has something to appease anyone's interests. There are so many clubs, activities, sports, and jobs you can be apart of here. Plus, if there is not a group that exists that is of your interest, it is fairly easy to start up a group on your own. Academically, I believe we are above many schools in our area. We have small class sizes and professors that don't just lecture you. Classes are interactive and hands on. Every department is very passionate about their field and will help you find your passion as well. Additionally, are POE's are a great way to explore all a student's interest. RIght now, I am making my own POE that includes professional writing and information technology. At most other schools around the country, you will not find a major that incorporates these two completely different fields of study. The campus is also simply beautiful. Everything is always kept very clean, presentable,and updated. Overall, Juniata is awesome in every way.

The most popular athletic events to go to would be women's volleyball and basketball. They both go very far in their conference and there are always tons of fans at the games! As for football, well, there is always room for improvement in the future! Some of the major groups to be involved in is JAB (juniata activities board). They run the events on campus for the most part. From mountain day to madrigal, to the major event, JAB sets up most of the events on campus. Some of my closest friends now were my dorm neighbors my freshmen year. Don't be afraid to say high to everybody! Everyone is so welcoming. My neighbors came to my room to introduce themselves. When we started talking, we realized we were all from the same area and had similar interests. Now we are roommates in the East houses together! I have never locked my door since I have been here and nothing has been taken or defaced from my room. However, once a year I hear about someone who had something stolen or broken in their room because they left the door unlocked. Overall however, the campus is trusting and safe. However, there is always that one person who decides to ruin it. As for the social scene, there is honestly not many places to go party or hangout around Huntingdon. If you're looking for a social scene, for students over 21, there are multiple bars that a majority of the older students go to on the weekends. For younger students, just hanging out with your friends on the weekends in their rooms is always fun and a good way to meet new people. Also, there are always the "east parties." This consists of loud music and a lot of dancing (usually).

To be honest, the diversity at the school is not the most...diverse. However, there are many clubs for different groups on campus. This way, people of different backgrounds, cultures and ethnicity can interact with one another and meet others from different backgrounds as well. In regards to the LGBT community, the main group for that on campus is AWOL (all ways of loving). There are numerous events held for the community to discuss LGBT issues on campus or in general. For example, I actually just went to a discussion called "Straight Talk" where people of gay, bi, straight, and transgendered personification talk about their experience at Juniata. Juniata is located in Huntingdon, Pa. In case you did not know, Huntingdon is a very small community with a Walmart, a bowling ally, and a movie theater. Students who come from very large cities feel out of place in a small town environment. Although it is somewhat of a culture shock, I have known different students from New York City and Los Angles that have adjusted to the environment. The students here are very welcoming and nice and would help anyone out with anything if they needed it. Students of all financial backgrounds go here. Personally, I receive scholarships which help with my tuition significantly. Without them, I would not be able to attend here. However there are other students that do not receive financial aid and their families are able to pay the full amount of a private institution anyways. Overall, there is a mix of financial backgrounds.

Juniata is mainly known as that science school. Even though science is greatly emphasized here, I believe that the rest of our majors are given just as much attention as well. The classes are small so I can receive individual help if I do not understand what is going on in class. Professors have set office hours, but most of the time, my professors have told me I could drop by any time i wanted to if I needed help. When I was a freshmen, I was shocked at the amount of in class participation I had to do. In high school, my grades was never dependent on class participation. Now however, 20% of my grade in nearly all my classes depend on my participation. I absolutely hated this at first. But now that I am a sophomore this year, I realized I really enjoy the participation in class. Participating helps my better understand the topics and develop new ideas on what we're talking about. For the people that are scared to participate, don't worry-the students and professors are almost 100% very welcoming of your opinions and views. I am an IT major and I love my department. I teach the required freshmen course IA. I really like being bale to take what I learn from class and actually apply it to students I teach if I find the opportunity. Additionally, a lot of professors live a minute off campus. The head of the IT department and IA is Dr. Rhodes. Before my IA job started, he had all the employees over for a barbeque followed by an orientation for the job. How many professors at other schools would invite you over for a barbeque? Overall, there is so much to talk about academically at Juniata. Every aspect is amazing in its own way!

A major stereotype would be that Juniata Students are all science nerds and spend every second of their time studying chemistry and biology. Although there is some truth to this (haha), the students at Juniata balance their studies and social lives very well I believe. When we need to get work done and study, we are in the computer labs and empty classrooms until the Juniata College Public Services kick us out at 2am. There have been multiple times I have been up studying that late and was asked to leave because they lock the buildings up at around 2am. However, on weeknights that we don't have work, you can get together with your friends and do whatever. Additionally, when the weekends come around, East and house parties are always the way to go.

Kelly

I love this school so far. I have attended Juniata for a little over a year, and I still enjoy it here very much. One of my favorite things about this school is how nice and helpful both faculty and students are. Everyone is very friendly. It is also usually very easy to get in touch with professors, although this does vary depending on the professor. The administration is typically helpful, although once again it varies depending on which individual you talk to. Although this is a small school, I think the size is just right. I tend to prefer small class sizes though. Despite the small size, there is a great variety of classes, albeit less than many large schools. The surrounding town of Huntingdon is very small, but there a couple of nice places there to check out. For restaurants, I highly recommend Standing Stone Cafe and Boxer's. There isn't a real student hang out spot on campus, so I usually hang out in my room or in a friend's room. The library is also a great spot to study, and there are usually several classrooms open for studying too. There are only a few complaints I have. Many students say that the cafeteria food leaves a bit to be desired, and I tend to agree. You can usually find something decent enough to eat though. The wok line is a good choice if you are patient enough and can cook a little. The vegetarian options are also starting to improve slowly. I will always remember the people I met here, as I have already met some great friends here. I highly recommend this school, especially if you prefer a small rural environment, just as I do.

Losterfest- Large club fair at beginning of the year. Each club has a booth where students can sign up. And there is lobster of course! Mountain Day- Surprise day off from classes. Everyone always tries to guess when it will be. There are buses up to Raystown Lake during the day. There are lots of activities going on there. Storming of the Arch- One of the most unusual traditions. Freshman try to get through the Cloister arch, which is defended by rugby players and other upperclassmen. No one has gotten through yet. The prize is free room and board, or something similar. Madrigal- Dinner and dance. There is also tenting outside the dining hall the week tickets go on sale to try and get the best dinner seats. It is as much of an event as Madrigal itself. Juniata has many fun traditions!

What are your classes like?

Classes are typically small, except for some intro level classes. Even those are never over 200 kids. Classes are usually lecture based, but class participation is highly encouraged. The class format will vary depending on the class.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Our school is not known for sports. The football team is not that successful. However, we do have a few successful sports teams. Both the men's and women's volleyball teams are very successful.

What's the Greek scene like?

There are no frats or sororities on campus.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

There is a quiet study area on the top floor of the library. Many students also study in classrooms in buildings such as Von Liebig and Founders. I usually study at the library or in my room.

Despite this being a small school, there are lots of campus organizations. The JAB activities board is very active, so are some of the community service organizations such as Habitat for Humanity. I am involved in many organizations, including the Kvasir literary magazine, Pet and Animal Wellness Society (PAWS), Zoology Club, and Environmental Coalition. Many of the clubs are small but still fun to get involved in. There are some surprisingly good events to attend, such as the Juniata Presents cultural events. Past Juniata Presents events include the Sonos acappella group (who were recently on the Tv showSing Off) and the Kergwin and Company dance company. I rarely go to sports games, but there are students that do. We also have some excellent theater productions, due to our schools small but acclaimed theater program. There are also many awesome traditions here. One is Lobsterfest, which is a club fair at the beginning of the year, which is a great way to see the extracurricular clubs offered here. Mountain Day, which is a day once a year when classes are cancelled and everyone goes to the lake, is also a popular tradition. There are many other fun traditions at Juniata as well.

This campus has many students with a wide variety of personalities. There is someone for everyone to hang out with here, despite the school's small size. Racially, it is not that diverse. The student body consists mainly of white and Asian students. There is a surprisingly large amount of international students, especially from Asian countries. There is a good variety of students from a variety of socio-economic groups. Many students here came here due to the generous financial aid, no there is not an overwhelming amount of extremely rich students. Politically, this tends to be a more liberal campus, but I know plenty of people who are also politically conservative. Religion is also diverse. Students are generally "nerdy," which I mean as a compliment, since I also consider myself a nerd. Students are usually quite studious. Few would feel out of place here, but if you are big into going out on the weekends or are a city person you may get bored, since weekends tend to be a bit chill and low-key here.

This school has a great academic program. I am majoring in Wildlife Conservation with a secondary emphasis in psychology. I am currently taking classes in a wide range of fields, including physics, chemistry, film, and psychology. Due to the typically small class size, it is very easy to contact professors. All of your professors will typically know your name and contact you on a regular basis. It is very easy to get to know your professors well here. It is required for you to take classes in a variety of fields, which doesn't bother me, since I have a wide field of interests. The typical requirements are 6 credits each in fine arts, international, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences fields, as well as an interdisciplinary curriculum and cultural analysis class. There are also quantitative and writing requirements. There are a couple of required freshman writing and technology classes that many students find unnecessary, but they are mostly painless. The education here is mainly geared towards learning for the sake of it, but there is plenty of job help to be found, although you may have to seek it out. This school is largely know for its biology program, but nearly every program here is excellent. The academic opportunities are excellent overall.

There does not seem to be much of a stereotype of Juniata students, since most people haven't heard of the school. People who have heard of the school seem to think of students as studious and academics-oriented, which is largely accurate. People also often comment about how friendly everyone here is, which I also noticed right away. We are also known as being bad at sports, which is not necessarily true for all sports, although it is accurate for some. We do have 2 excellent volleyball teams though. One general stereotype about the school as a whole is that there isn't anything to do here. This isn't really true, since there are a couple of decent restaurants in town and the campus does make an effort to have plenty of things going on. Some weekends are a bit slow activity wise though. Juniata isn't known to be much of a party school, although the parties are there if you look for them. Overall, I find Juniata to have a pretty diverse body of students personality-wise. There is someone for everyone to hang out with here, despite the school's small size.

Mary

Juniata is the perfect size school for me. If it were any larger I would be pretty overwelmed. One thing in particular that I love about JC are the traditions that they instill. We have Lobster Fest, Mountain Day, Storming of the Arch and many others. This is what makes campus life so interesting and fun. There seems to be a lof of school pride, but I think if our football team was better there would be a lot more. It is a beautiful campus full of historic buildings.

Overall, Juniata is a great school with a lof of potential. Everyone is involved and the professors are great. I have really enjoyed my 4 years at Juniata and although I will miss it, I will leave here very well-prepared for the real world.

I do not agree with this stereotype because although we are known for our prestigious academia, we know how to balance our studies with a social life.

Academic life at JC is hard, but the professors are all interested in your success as a student and many are even willing to do anything for you to help you succeed. Many professors invite their advisees over for dinner or even take them out to lunch. I've even bought my professor a beer before! Everyone here is pretty personable. Juniata's education is definitely geared toward getting a job and learning. It strives to make us all well-rounded and knowledgable in all areas.

The party scene is pretty fun here. There are a ton of house parties and East always has parties. East seems to be the primary location for younger students to party. Everyone is pretty friendly.

One stereotype about Juniata students is that we're all nerdy and dorks.

Juniata students are all pretty aware and active throughout all areas, whether it is politically or athletically, etc. All types of students intereact with one another. Since campus is so small, this is easy to do and it's easy to know the majority of people on campus.

Tetyana

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to trust my decisions and relax more. I spent a lot of time in college wondering if the choices about which classes to take, how much to volunteer, where to go abroad and whether going abroad will ruin my relationship status were correctly made, now I could assure myself that they were. I would advise myself to make time for everything including making a small group of close friends instead of having a large group of people I know and socialize with on daily basis. In my sophomore year I started focusing too much on my academic work, leadership, and volunteering, having less time to really bond with people, which left me with one close friend-my boyfriend. Also, I would advise myself to study less and travel more when I am abroad because it was one of the best highlights of my college career. I would also point out to myself that I can change my meal plan option right after the first semester and that I need to make more effort to get to know my advisors.

If you are a party-oriented person with a need to leave in a big city with sky-scrappers or want constant entertainment, you should not go here because this college is small and located in a rural area.

Caitlin

Juniata is a fantastic liberal arts college. It’s small, personal, and friendly. Students are dedicated to their work and do well. The science programs are strongest and most popular. Acceptance rates into medical school are some of the very best in the country and Juniata has had students receive impressive scholarships including numerous Fulbright scholarships. I am so indebted to Juniata. I love this school and I think it’s such a wonderful mix of people. I also believe college is what you make of it. Being at Juniata you are surrounded by students who have that same mentality and strive to take advantage of all the programs and opportunities offered. One of my favorite stories to tell about Juniata is how the school helped me start my own business. As an entrepreneurship major I was really excited by the programs offered by the colleges own business incubator. The incubator, JCEL, give seed capital money to students interested in starting their own business ventures and offered advice, counseling, and space to students. As a sophomore I was in the process of creating an artisan hand painted picture frame business. At the time I originally wanted to put the wood frames together myself and needed access to the chop saws and work space in the art lab. For insurance purposed I wasn’t allowed to use the saws unless I was enrolled in a class. So to get around the loop hole my art professor created a one credit work study for me called ‘The Art of Presentation’ and basically spent an extra hour of her busy week in the studio with me helping me with my frames. She even had a spare set of keys to the saws made so I could get in and work whenever I wanted to. Tell me someone would do that for you at Penn State. I don’t think so. There are countless other examples in different departments of professors who have gone out of their way to help students. At Juniata people want you to be successful and will do everything in their power to help you.

Everyone is a bunch of science nerds. And believe me there are but the students actually represent a very eclectic mix. There are athletes, science nerds, artists, and hippies. It’s not unusual to see random groups of students without shoes on or climbing trees. Juniata in general is a very accepting campus although people do tend to stick to their own social groups.

Some of the more active clubs and organizations on campus include Habitat for Humanity, which boasts a large following and usually organizes a Spring Break trip, Rugby, and the International clubs. Rugby sponsors a giant fundraiser called Pig Roast. Pig Roast is the stuff of legends. Basically it’s a huge fundraiser. Students register kegs, are put in busses and driven out to a field 20 minutes outside of campus, and drink all day. The rugby team sells five dollar tickets to the event and roasts a giant pig. There are also burgers, hot dogs, chips snacks exct and everyone just hangs out and has a completely awesome time. Later the rugby teams drunkenly hold alumni matches, which are always fun to watch. As far as going out on the weekends a lot of kids do. Since Juniata is not a dry campus there’s always kids looking to have a good time and you can find parties in the dorm buildings. Juniata also makes an effort to bring in musicians and entertainment like hypnotists or comedians.

Like you can imagine at any school where students value their education and are trying to make the most of their tuition dollars students study a lot. I like to do my work in the library, which recently renovated the main floor and put in large study tables. Even with a full workload of class I still had time to go out on the weekends and have a good time. I rarely felt completely overwhelmed. Juniata also makes it easy to get a tutor and professors are always easy to get a hold of. That can mean all the difference. Don’t be surprised if professors give you cell phones or home numbers. Students are also really willing to help each other out and you can almost always find students who are looking for study partners or are willing to include you in review sessions.

Katelyn

At Juniata, student can make their own "Program of Emphesis" rather than sticking with prescribed "majors" and "minors." It is a unique experience for students to twist all of there interests into their education.

Not all colleges are the same! Look into as many colleges as you can and really learn what they are all about. All colleges have different community lifes, different philosophies and traditions, as well as different life-focus for their students. By selecting the right college, the transition will be easier. Also, follow your interests! Don't think with a strictly vocational mindset. By following your interests, vocational opportunities will arise with time, and you will also enjoy your classes more thoroughly. Bogging yourself down with too many classes in one field becomes redundant and overwhelming. College is all about balance! It may be hard at first, but you will see your family during fall break. I strongly suggest staying at school every weekend during your first semester--it will be the most important time to make friends. Further, make it a point to start off on the right foot. You have to study hard in college to do well, but don't get too nervous about your classes either. Make time to hang out with your new friends because the friends you make in college will be like a second family! Again, it's all about balance.

The on-campus housing is the worst thing at Juniata. However, I strongly feel that I am paying for an excellent education and an excellent atmosphere/community. The housing is bad, but this is when one compares it to schools that put most of their money into attractive items like housing rather than education.

Juniata College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.