Kansas State University

« See more reviews of Kansas State University

The academics are amazing! I give Kansas State so many props to their educational standards. I have yet to have a bad teacher, be it Doctor, Professor, or GTA. They have all been amazing and I have learned so much. The majority of my teachers I have gotten to know on a first name basis. Large lectures are a little different unless you choose to go into office hours, but in my major I know half the faculty by first name. In class participation is also a very common occurance as we like to dialogue and get involved with the material. It really depends on the class how much this happens. Also if the class is early in the morning there is always bound to be less talking than those in the afternoon. Studying outside of class is an essential. You are always bound to find people at Hale library no matter what hour of the day or night you go. I seem to always be at my desk or in a practice room and if I decide to venture to Hale there is always someone I can call that is already there studying their heart out. Don't get me wrong we have social lives as well!! We just know what it takes to keep those grades up before we go have fun. Going into my major a bit, I am in the department of Music. We are by far in the top 5 of busiest students on campus. We are either in class or seminars, at recitals or lessons, attending or performing in concerts, or if were not there you can find us in the studio practicing. We don't mind doing as this as it is what we love to do. The faculty know this and thus give us all of these opportunities to heighten our experience. Once you get involved in this department the faculty are bound to know your name. I know all of the voice faculty by first name, and the majority of them know me. All of the GTA's call me by my first name and have asked me to be in positions of authority, so it really makes you feel welcome and gets you involved. In concerns of preparing your for the real world KSU does a great job. They have multiple career fairs and internship opportunities, they have study abroad programs and competitive scholarships for Graduate study. We have recently switched to the K-State 8 program which is for incoming students core requirements making it easier for them to get their core requirements before jumping into their major. Overall I couldn't put Kansas State University at a higher standard for their academics.

One of the things that attracted me most about K-State was the family aura that surrounded it. Here unlike many other large universities students are able to really connect with their professors which really motivates the students to work hard. Although there are a number of lecture halls students can enroll in, there are even more small classroom courses that really encourage students to feel more comfortable asking questions and being involved. The professors really express their desire for their students to do well and go over and beyond to make themselves available as often as possible. As a student in the school of journalism studying Mass Communications and Public Relations it was very important that I was provided an advisor that could get me all the right classes and keep me on track to graduation and that's exactly what I got! My advisor and I were able to sit-down face to face (unlike many other universities) and discuss my academic and career goals to get me in the right classes. We were able to plan out my courses for every semester here which was incredible and really helped keep me on track. She would even email me from time to time to see how I was doing with my classes and ask if there was anything she could do to assist me, which I appreciated greatly. I made sure many of my courses were small class sizes because coming from a small school it was what I felt most comfortable with. These small classrooms also allowed me to meet new people through group projects which also made studying for exams easier. I often scheduled my classes for every other day so that on my days off I could work or spend the day studying which worked out wonderfully. The professors also try to teach you the best ways to learn and study in their specific courses which I believe helped me tremendously.They also encourage you to push yourself not just so that you can graduate and get a good job but so that you can learn as much about yourself and of the world as you can.

Here at Kansas State University class sizes can range from large lectures to small classroom settings. K-State does an amazing job of keeping their class sizes small for the most part, with the average class size 23 students it is extremely easy to become close to your professors. I have multiple professors that know my name even after the semester in which they taught me and are always checking in and making sure that my college experience is going well. Large lecture classes all have what is call a recitations once a week as well where students will have a small classroom setting of 20-25 students as well as a teacher's assistant to go more in depth over lectures as well as assign homework. This service is a great benefit to students because they will always have a small classroom setting where they will be able to contact a teacher or professor at any time. With class choices from accounting to astronomy it is easy to find your academic niche here at Kansas State University. Personally, my favorite classes are Leadership Studies. Kansas State University has a one of a kind minor known as Leadership Studies where students can grow culturally and develop themselves to be stronger leaders within the workplace. The Leadership Studies minor is one of the few nationally as well as the fastest growing minor here at K-State. Academically Kansas State is known the Ivy League of the Midwest. As the leader in Rhodes, Truman, Marshall and Udall scholarships the University has proven it's success in academics.The colleges of architecture, engineering, as well as our interior design program are all top 10 programs in the nation as well as the College of Education ranked first in the state. Kansas State University also the largest medical school acceptance rate from undergraduate in the state at nearly 90%.

Some professors know my name, but it is usually in my smaller more intimate classes. Large lecture classes of 150+ are extremely hard to know names. My favorite class this semester is microeconomics, but because of the course itself, but because of the professor. He is very crazy and makes class really enjoyable. How often students study is really up to the student themselves and how their course load is. Some study every night for 4-6 hours, others for 4-6 hours per week. Class participation again goes with the class size. It's harder to get 250 people to all participate in something together all at once. I believe that K-state students are intellectual inside and outside of the class room and in every day life. K-staters are competitive, but in a good way. They always strive to do their best and have as much sucess as possible. The most unique class I have taken is Leadership development. It was a class that did not act like other classes with just lectures and homework all the time, it allowed you to voice your opinon and participate at a higher level. My major is business management/administration. I am new to the major but so far I am really enjoying it and am looking forward to the classes that are ahead. I do spend time with professors out side of class by attending office hours when I need help or assistance on any given homework. paper, or other assignment. I believe that K-state education is geared both for learning and for the work force. They teach you so that you grow and learn, but they also help you towards your ultimate goal of what you want to do outside of K-state.

K-State class size and student faculty ratio rank among the best in the Big 12. Many of the classes I take have students with less than 30 students in them. Of course, there will be the large lecture halls with 100's of students, but I've had pretty good experiences with professors working to make sure that students are learning. As a public relations and marketing major, I'm extremely pleased with the amount of class participation in class. The typical lecture format seems to have gone by the wayside and now a more progressive, beneficial and conversational style has been adopted that allows students and professors to collaborate and work together. Over the past semester I developed great relationship with two of my public relations professors. They've helped me re-format resumes and cover letter and have shown me a couple cool places to apply to for when I graduate and are even willing to put me in contact with some people at those companies. An internship is required to graduate in public relations, so I feel like I've had some real experience that makes me more marketable upon graduation. K-State also hosts one of the largest career fairs in the Big 12 which opens up lots of job opportunities after graduation or internship experiences over the summer. I feel like I've been challenged at K-State, but is hasn't been so grueling that academics took over my life. I've had plenty of opportunity to get involved in other aspects of college life and enjoy my time here.

The academics at Kansas State University are the best part! Classes cater to everyone. Some are huge lecture halls that easily number in the hundreds, while others are small classroom settings similar to high school. There are also medium-sized classes for students who enjoy a little bit of both. I've taken classes that ranged from all of these sizes. The instructors care about their students. In the small classroom setting, the teachers get to know you quickly and learn your name. Of course it's harder for this to happen in a huge lecture hall, but sitting in the front or meeting with an instructor during his/her office hours can easily take care of that. I've come across some excellent teachers just in my first two semesters here. Something I and many others appreciate is the fact that there are wonderful teachers in every subject, and in required classes. The quality of teaching can be just as good in a general education class as it is in an advanced class specific to a major if you get the right teachers. To be successful in any class, you will have to study, study, study. On average, I study about 4 hours a day. The material that is taught can sometimes be difficult depending on the class, but there is always a purpose to it, be it preparation for a job or learning for learning sake. The students are much more competitive than in high school, which in an institution of higher learner, benefits everyone.

Kansas State views academics with high regard. A large number of our students are a member of a Greek house, all of which require a minimum GPA of 2.5. Campus-wide, we have a high average GPA as well. Some classes are very large, around 500 students per lecture hall, and others are very small, with around 20 students. Many off the entry-level classes are quite large since many students are enrolled in those classes. Once you start taking more major-specific classes, the smaller and more personal the classes will be. No matter the size of the classroom, however, most all of the professors are very invested in their students' success, and are willing to get to know you if you let them. Hale, our main campus library, is located in the center of campus. I was told by Dr. Bosco, Vice President of Student Life & Dean of Students, that Hale was placed in the center of campus purposely because academics is our #1 goal here at KSU. Oppositely of what most people would expect, going to the library here is very common for all students, and it's not considered nerdy at all. Going to Hale to study is a norm on our campus, and most students go to the library regularly, not just the week of finals. Although our campus believes academics to be very important, it doesn't completely consume our lives. Our administrators want us to enjoy our time at Kansas State, and they do a good job of making school fun.

Some of the lower level classes that everyone has to take are HUGE! You are just a number and you know for damn sure you can't get any 'special treatment' if your grade is 0.4% off from what you need to get a better letter grade. Luckily I can only think of one that was that narrow minded setintheways. Higher level classes are usually small and more fun because you can actually make a friend or two and enjoy some of the material taught. There are quite a few sucky teachers who make you fail just because they feel like it. Don't ever go in expecting to make good enough grades to have the GPA you need to get farther than graduation. Oh and transfer credits are a joke. They won't be factored into your cumulative GPA at all. Be warned! If you are a biology major you just missed the best teacher we had. He finally retired =( Although classes such as Mammology, Behavioral Ecology, and Biology of Aging are fun, small classes where the teachers know your name and a few of the students might also. Unfortunately, only the higher level classes give you any advice for the real world and even then they mostly leave that stuff up to the grad teachers.

Academics vary depending on the college you are in. Currently, I am in the College of Education. I was also in the College of Engineering for 2 years before I realized it wasn't exactly for me. In most classes (with exceptions of a few gen-eds) the professors know your name. Every single professor I have encountered has cared and wanted to help as much as possible. It is nice for when extra help is needed or if someone just needs to talk to the professor outside of class. Like I noted earlier, K-State is sort of split up into colleges. Once in these colleges, people have an even greater opportunity to meet someone with similar interests. I love that K-State does this! I have always had wonderful advising experiences, too! The College of Education actually has appointed advisers who only advise! This means that they can focus purely on our academics and schedules and everything else! K-State is prestigious for many of the programs and has options for everyone. Even if someone is undecided, it is easy to take general education classes to help them figure out what they are fit for.

The professors here are amazing. Although most of the Intro. classes are pretty large if you make an effort to talk to and get to know the professor, they will do the same. Most of the upper level and major specific classes are at most 35 people. This way you can get to know everyone in the class and your teacher on a more personal level. When you walk around Manhattan you constantly hear people talking about classes and the new things they've learned that day. The best classes I've taken are probably the ones that challenge me the most. I recently took Social Problems and it was fantastic. There are so many theories and people to learn about that something new is constantly coming up. K-State is a great school when it comes to preparing you for future jobs, but some of the classes are designed purely to provoke thought and growth of knowledge. If there is any advice I could give to someone its just this... GO TO CLASS! I know everyone says the same thing and from personal experience, classes are much easier if you've been to them.