Philadelphia, PA
La Salle University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend La Salle University

patricia

LaSalle is a small private university where faculty really care and the student learns a great deal during their program of study.

If I could go back in time, I would give myself the following advice. I would take college seriously and learn all that my professors and the experience offered to me. I would tell a student to set aside time to study, to go to class, and to have some fun, whether it is on or off campus. I would take advantage of my professors advice and wisdom that they bring. I would get a decent night's sleep so that I was alert for all of my classes and eat well for the same reason. I would tell a student that while grades are important, it is more important to learn. I would organize my life and make a schedule so that my learning was a priority. These opportunities do not come often in life so I would learn as much as I can in those short years. I would try to limit my outside responsibilities as much as possible so that my education is the number one priority in my life and try to enlist the help of family and friends to help me with this. This is a golden time in life; enjoy it!

Anyone who cares about their education should attend LaSalle University. The faculty is great and cares a great deal about the student body. Classes were available at various times in order to work around student schedules. Many of the faculty that taught me are still at the university, demonstrating the stability and atmosphere at LaSalle.

Kelli

If I had the chance to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that I wasn’t as grown as I thought I was, and there was still a lot I had to learn. After graduating college and putting four years of work and college loans into my education, I realized that I chose something I was comfortable with at the time, but not that I wanted to spend a lifetime doing. Now I’m going back to school for nursing, which is not only flexible and rewarding, but there’s room to advance. I think it’s important to choose something in which you will always be able to work your way up so that you never feel “stuck”. The advice I would give is to research different jobs and talking to some people in the same line of work to hear both the positive and negatives, and if it’s something you could see yourself doing. Also, I think it’s important to plan what you would be doing after college, because many times a person graduates with a degree which there is no demand for.

The classes are small enough to where you can build a relationship with your professor, and might have the same professor several times for different courses. They also have an Achieve Nursing program, which is part time, so it works great for those going back to school and have jobs and families. Not many other schools offer similar programs.

It is a private school, and very expensive.

Brandon

La Salle University is a community based college, with a very bigh emphasis on academic advancement and community service.

Going into college can be a very frightening and tumultuous time for any young adult. High School's around the world try to prepare students for what lies ahead of them, but it can never be really understood until it is experienced by the students' themselves. If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I would tell myself to simply relax and take the college application process one step at a time. You can't enjoy your final year in High School by having this stressful situation take over your life. All that can be done is to apply to as many colleges as you can, do very well in all of your classes, and hope for the best. Everything will work out fine in the end.

The worst thing about our school is the surrounding area in which our school resides. The campus is very nice, but no so much as the areas immediately off campus. However, the security does a good job patrolling the area, and the student's safety is not in danger.

Renee
Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

La Salle University is a small school of 7,000-8,000 undergraduate and graduate students located in Philadelphia. It is a school of opportunity and growth. There are many businesses and jobs available in the a ten mile radius for working, internships, or networking. Also, there is a chance to make friendships that will last people for many years following graduation. Is La Salle perfect? Absolutely not, but what school is? It is just a chance to discover who you are, find out what you want to be in life, and to attend a school similar to a community. The nursing and education programs are very strong for people interested in those majors since there are many hospitals for clinical and nearby schools in which people can student teach. Teachers are not there to lecture and spoon feed you, but they guide you through interactive classes that are relatively small in size. I can't force or coerce anyone to go to La Salle, but if any of the things I mentioned above interest you, then I definitely advise you to visit and/or check it out.

One thing I notice about La Salle is that there are many different groups of people, Fraternity/Sorority members, athletes, student organization leaders, smokers, "geeks", foreigners, and others. However, regardless the group that they affiliate themselves with, at any part of the day whether it is lunch, a party, in the hallway, or whatever you see people of many groups interacting. I know I can call up anyone regardless their race, religion, preference, or any other group and ask them to hangout, walk to class together or study together, whatever the case may be. Of course there are some people who dislike others, that is only naturally. However for the most part you see people talking to each other from different backgrounds daily. Students are mostly from the northeast region of the United States. They are not only from there, but mostly. There is a good mixture of different financial and/or political backgrounds. College students in general tend to be less politically aware since we have the mindset that our vote does not count, but there is a good split of those aware and those unaware as well as a good split of political beliefs. Students daily attire varies. For the most part it is casual. Athletes almost always wear sweats unless they have a presentation. Students involved in Greek life usually wear something with their letters and other students usually dress casually in jeans or something similar. There are the few students here and there who where dresses, heels, and skirts, but for the most part attire is casual or business casual. People only dress up for presentations. Overall student life at La Salle is similar to that of a community.

Marisol

The best thing about LaSalle is the ability to get involved and take advantage of as many opportunities as possible. If you have a variety of interests, the department chairs are very willing to help you fill out paperwork to get a minor or double major. La Salle maintains a very good reputation and people are often impressed when they hear that you are a "La Salle student." Although the school is small, there are plenty of good people on campus. You will find your place that you fit in.

The students at La Salle vary a lot. There is not one "typical student." There are students how are there to play sports, to get into graduate school, to get a job, to get the college experience, and many other reasons. There is plenty of opportunities to get to know people from all walks of life on campus. Most students are from the Philadelphia area, but there are also students from all over the country and the globe. However part of La Salle's mission is to provide an education to people coming from lower socioeconomic status, this is evident throughout campus.

La Salle has several cultural organizations and basketball is the major team on campus. The Masque (theater organization) and greek live are very prevalent on campus. We have the Explorer Connection and Diplomat in Residence Program that allow several guest speakers to come to campus and lecture on current affairs.

Your experience with academics at La Salle depend a lot on your professor and department. La Salle has some great professors and some that are not. Almost all of my professors know me by name and I still greet some of them on campus that I had freshman year. Class participation is common, but most professors will not push you into participating if you do not feel comfortable. In class, like with anything else, you get what you put into it. If you are a dedicated student, you will learn a great deal. If not, your grades will suffer and you will not get the most out of your college education.

There are not many "stereotypes" at my school. Most of them are taken as jokes as with any other school so they are not always accurate.

Kathleen

La Salle has a great reputation and has an excellent falculty. You become extremely close with all your professors and fellow students. Considering that La Salle is a small school you feel very connected to the school. Not all schools are this privledged.

College is very different from high school. Moving away, meeting new people, and becoming more independent is a big change. Once you get to school it is important to go out and meet as many people as you can because unlike high school, you will not know everyone there. Also getting involved with activities on campus is very important. This is where most of your friends will come from. It is an awesome way to get connected with your college.

La Salle is a slightly small school. I wish I knew what to expect when walking around campus before I starting going here.

Darneisha

i believe its best known for there academics and being a catholic school.

i believe its best known for there academics and being a catholic school.

Dear darneshia 2011 How are you these days? It has been so long since the last time we spoke I wanted to check up on you senior year. I know this last year of high school can truly be a stressful one .With having to focus on your regular daily activities. Along with the preparation that goes into your prom, graduation, and getting into college. But trust me “Life’s today’s are here to prepare for its tomorrow”. With that stated if I could give you any advice on your future college life. I would say stay focus, plan ahead and be organized. Those three key aspects will assist you with your college life more than any may realize. They will keep you on task when it comes to keeping your important deadlines and the finding out/ using of all beneficial information needed for college that you may have not been made aware ( such as the importance of knowing about the credits you need, along with the role MONEY will play in the next 4 years). Lastly and maybe the most important have a plan and stay hungry to stick to the plan and achieve it. Love Darneshia 2012

I brag about the small classes and the teachers actually knowing my name.

The campus is gorgeous but if you step outside of it, very dangerous.

The campus is gorgeous but if you step outside of it, very dangerous.

What's the Greek scene like?

Lots of drinking.

What's the dating scene like?

The dating scene is more like a hookup scene.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

If you are not in greek life or part of a sports team, it is very hard to socialize.

The campus is a diamond in the ruff. The surrounding area is very dangerous but inside the campus is nice.

Describe the dorms.

The new dorms are nice.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I went to this school because it is located in the city.

The students are either white or black. It is very rare to have any other races in between.

I'm not sure. We are a Catholic school, so perhaps outsiders think we are ultra religious but that's not the case.

Describe a typical weekend.

Many students go home and the ones left typically party a lot.

La Salle is a small school with small classes. The professors are always available. Therefore, this school is great in terms of personal access to the teachers. Plus, they are always willing to help.

Ruben

I know that is a little difficult to think to go back to the past. But if I had the opportunity to travel back in time and meet with myself in high school and with the experiences that I have now, it could be marvelous to see myself again. After a brief talk with me it would not have been difficult to convince myself to travel to United States to study in La Salle to get a good education, and telling myself that this had been the best choice in my life. And without doubt, I would have done the impossible to come to study in the United States, because for low income student it is a bit difficult to study in a third world country.

the worst thing about my school is finding parking, because the parking lot where we park our cars, does not belongs to La Salle and many times it is closed. if we leave our cars on the street we can get a parking ticket because there is a two hour parking limit.

The way that teachers teach students, specially those (like me) that came from another countries and are in the process of learning English.

Kassie

We have a really great student programming center that always has stuff to do in and around the city, like concerts, museums, and events like medieval times and the rockettes (all you have to do is put down a $5 deposit and you get it back on the bus). Some people complain that La Salle is a "suitcase school," meaning people go home every weekend, but those people miss out on all the fun things La Salle offers every weekend!

My largest class here was about 30 people. It's been really easy to get to know teachers and start study groups. When I first came here, my initial thought was "I have to take two religions and two philosophies?! How is that going to help me become a Speech Pathologist?!" I soon found out that there's a lot of leniency as to what classifies as a religion or a philosophy. My favorite class I've taken here was a team-taught (Integrated Studies and Religion) service learning course, Economic Justice for All. We read really interesting literature, historical and current, and connected it to community service we had to do. Some people interviewed potential food stamp recipients, others volunteered at halfway houses.

Greek life seems to have a big presence on campus, but I'd say the majority of students are either not members of organizations or are part of other organizations.

La Salle University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.