Warren, MI
Macomb Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Macomb Community College

Caitlin

Macomb Community College is a great place to learn and, unlike the stereotypical community college, not subpar to four-year universities.

If I could go back to talk to myself during my senior year of high school, the one thing I would absolutely have to tell myself is to take scholarships more seriously. I made the huge mistake of not applying to, or missing the deadlines of, every single scholarship that my high school offered. The opportunities were numerous, but I passed them all up, and I regret doing so every day. Most frustratingly, several of the scholarships that I could have applied for were awarded to a friend of mine whom I knew to be considerably less qualified for them than myself. Looking back, I realize how lucky we were to have great resources (not to mention amazing counselors) available to us. I took those for granted, and now I'm free of high school but lost as to how to proceed from here. If I could go back to high school, knowing what I know now, I would tell myself and anyone else who would listen that life gets a lot harder after graduation. I would make them promise to take advantage of what is offered to them, and to at least make an attempt at every scholarship opportunity.

Perfectionists should not attend Macomb, because its student body is comprised mainly of those who couldn't get into four-year colleges due to academic downfalls. Someone who must always correct others' mistakes would quickly become frustrated with the knowledge that many Macomb students, usually by no fault of their own, lack.

Guy

I would go back and tell myself to study. You can't just breeze through college classes like they are high school classes. Get to class on time. If you don't you'll never find a parking spot. Also don't skip any classes. Apply for scholarships to go to college. They cost a lot of money. Get 3 letters of recommendation from teachers. I promise you that High school won't kill you.

Most of the classes are easy. I have good teachers. There's not a whole lot to worry about. I can drive my car to and from the school. They really want you to excel in life there.

The expenses are. The cost of driving back and forth and the price of books is outstanding. And it seems like everything you try to do requires money. in one form or another. It just would be a lot better if things were cheaper.

Ami

There are two campuses; Center Campus, which is located in Clinton Township, MI, & South Campus, which is roughly about 15 miles south of Center, in Warren, MI. I can honestly say that before Macomb, I had never heard of a college with two complete campuses. While there are other colleges with off-site locations, Macomb offers something different in my opinion. I believe it offers variety & flexibility for those who may not be able to travel too far, & at the same time still offer the same college campus experience. There aren't many community colleges that can say that.

I would tell myself to charge on full speed ahead! I remember my first day as a high school senior & thinking how it felt like an eternity to get to that point. Now, here it is, almost 8 years later at age 25. This point in my life seemed so far away back then, but time has whizzed by just as it always does. Tomorrow seems so far off, then when we turn around, the future is now the past. I would urge my former self to pursue things worthwhile. While higher education is not necessary, I believe in being versatile & preparing for the future. A college education will only help further chances of success for anyone with this mindset. I now understand that concept, after many a trial & tribulation. Just like we're responsible for our own failure, the same can be said of the opposite; we're just as responsible for our own success. Others may give their suggestions & opinions, but that's exactly what they are. It's up to the individual to pick & choose what they will & won't apply to their lives. Well, it's time I finally took my own advice.

I wish I would've known exactly what higher education entailed of. There is a mindset that comes with the territory. If you don't possess it, along with a drive, will, & motivation to succeed, then now is not the time to pursue it. I learned that the hard way. Also, life experiences have taught that it pays to go ahead & get it out of the way asap. A lot of unnecessary hardships that I encountered would've been easily avoided if I would've known back then what I know now as it relates to college.

Robyn

My school is very diverse. I see people of every ethnic background, social class, and religion available; It provides an excellent enviornmen for learning.

I would tell myself that on almost everything my parents were right. The advice they gave me was some of the best I've ever gotten and I would tell myself to follow it to the letter. I also would have told myself to not worry as much. Most problems in life are solved more easily by takeing a deep breath and relaxing.

I wish I had listened to my parents more. They are right about so much because they have experienced so much. I wish I would have listened to all of the advice they gave me.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to panic trying to figure out what career i wanted to go into right away. There are plenty of general courses to take to help you figure it out. I would also tell myself to always take college classes seriously, and not to procrastinate, even if the class is really easy. Not that you should overwork yourself, but getting only an average grade in a class you could have gotten an "A" in will come back to haunt you. Finally, I would tell my high school self to remember to enjoy the benefits of college life, such as meeting new people and making new connections.

College-bound students who aren't quite sure what they want to do yet, or people who want to save money by taking cheaper classes and then transferring to a four year university.

It's less expensive, the classes are relatively small, and most of the professors are great.

Andrew

Entering college, I thought i could just show up to class and get a A or B. After my first semester i realized that i didnt no as much as i thought. I started to study and use other tools to get better grades. Like my first semester, during high school i didnt study at all. If I could go back to high school i would devote time to studying and other education programs. I would get the best grades i could, so i could attend a superior collge. I spent so much time playing sports and hanging out with my friends, school usually came second. I love sports but i realize now that they werent as important as my education. I am a lot more mature now and I no what to expect in life. My final words to myself world be put school first and devote the right amount of time to get the best grades possible!

I wish i would have known how much books were going to cost. I knew college textbooks cost a lot of money, but not 100 to 200 dollars. Its very expensive to buy books and then you can only sell them back for a fraction of the price. I dont buy books from the bookstore anymore because of the ridiculous prices. I go online and buy whatever books i need now.

A student who is not willing to work at their education or a student who has a poor work ethic. I think a student who is attending college wants a great education and should want to strive to learn more. Yeah, some students may just need the credit, but even if they are in that close they are paying attention and learning something.

Some of the best advice is "be early." When it comes to getting everything perpared for admission and for selecting classes, deadlines are important. Procrastination can lead to a lot of trouble. "Explore" is also good advice. College is about more than just going to class. If you want to make friends and have fun, you need to check out the extra-curricular activities. "Don't use the campus bookstore unless inevitable." The college bookstore charges way too much for books. Too much compared to what you could get online, even if the books are used. Some places will even let you rent books for class. Selling your textbooks online is a good idea too. You'll get much more for them than by giving them back to the school bookstore. Finally, save your money as much as possible. High school seniors do have a lot of expenses, but college will run you dry. If it's not something necessary or something for your senior year (such as a yearbook or class ring,) don't spend.

My school has a ton of different classes and extra-curricular activities to choose from. It's a lot for a community college. The large variety of activities makes it easy to find a club that will work. It's almost a guarantee that you'll find something fun to do. If a class or a club doesn't fit into your schedule too well, there usually are several other options to pick from.

It is usually a long walk from the parking lot to the classroom that I need to be in. Even if I get one of the "close" parking spots, it still isn't very close to the buildings. It's a good idea to get to the parking lot kind of early in order to get the closest spot possible, especially if the weather isn't that great. It can be a pain walking so far in the rain or snow with heavy books. Also, if you're running late to class, closer is better.

James

Small School , Small Class room size great learning Environment we have a nice Applied Science Department.

If I could change the hands of time I would seek advice from college students who been on campus for sometime who understands how financial aid works inside and out. Also it?s important to understand the business behind a university everyone tells you it?s important to attend a 2-4 year college but they don?t speak about. How you should pay for class books etc or how where you live effects how well you do in school. This is very important. Also alcohol and Drug and sex awareness is very important I seen lots of friends and others students drop out because of these reasons. Thank you so much for your time James Billings Detroit, MI.

I really dislike the commute back and forth to and from school I live in Detroit Michigan it?s like 20 miles from my home one way. School is in Warren Michigan with gas price this get really bad for me. Ideal conditions living close to school would be great in apartments across the street from school.

Justine

Macomb Community College gives students that don't have the opertunity to attend a university the chance to earn an equal education. If the student chooses to transfer the credits earned at Macomb the credits are usually transferable. This school gives students the preperation they need for their future. From the schools numerous options students can find any field that might interest them. Depending on what field of interest a student can even earn an associates or bachelors degree within their feild. Macomb Community College also gives students the option to take online classes and still stay close to home.

Knowing what I know today about college life and making the transition, here is a leter of advice I would have written to myself and read as a high school senior. Dear Justine, It is now the year 2010 and it has been offically two years since we have graduated from high school. Throughout the two years of college we have realized some changes we should have made. Firstly, we should have taken Advanced Placement classes to help eliminate credits needed for college. By taking such tests this would have helped with the cost of school. Secondly, as a junior in high school we should have prepaired ourselves more by researching scholorships, touring schools, and taking more classes towards our major of interest (Fashion Merchandising). Since we knew we were attending Macomb Community College for the first two years we did not prepair ourselves enough. It is time to make better steps towards the future. That is why we filed out the survey for this scholorship. Each step makes a difference. Good luck! Let our past and present experiance help us make the right decisions. Sincerely, Future Justine

The kind of person that should attend Macomb Community College is a student looking to stay close to home or maybe undecided. This college is a cheap yet, affective way to recieve an education. Macomb offers many options to help students make a future for themselves. Students can choose to earn degrees at Macomb or even transfer to a University to finish their education. Students such as myself choose to start off their college career at Macomb to recieve their general credits to save money for when it is time to transfer to a university.

Rodney

Dear Self, College is amazing. The opportunities are immense. Be careful self. Set yourself some priorites and reflect on them often. Your priorities should be Faith, Family, Education, Athletics. You can add priorities as necessary. There is alot of mischief that beckons if you are not careful. Be wary of sex, drugs and rock -n-roll. You don't have to be a party pooper, but stay morally clean. That is alot to ask of an 18 year old who thinks he is a man and wants to prove it. Remember why your are in college. Your job is to get an education. You can have fun, but not at the expense of your education. Joining a fraternity can be a good thing. Don't allow the good time Charlie's to lead astray. As a college athlete, you will have additional responsiblities. Your priorities will guide you through the tough times. Find time to visit with you family. When graduation time comes, your family will be there for you. Many of your high school and college friends will fade away. Learn, Live, Love. The world is your oyster, open it up and see the pearl it has for you.

I have not had anything to complan about. At this point, the Macomb Community College staff has been very helpful. Being 200 miles away from campus makes communication a little challenging at times. Although, my questions and concerns have always been addressed in a timely fashion.

I am a displaced worker returning to school to change careers. I have found that Macomb Community College is a caring concern school. They have been very helpful in the application process. I am part a new distance learning program theat they have started. The Physical Therapy Assistant is a difficult program of study. They are committed to helping me learn the material and becoming a PTA.

Macomb Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.