Mercyhurst University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Mercyhurst University

I think this is a great small community type school. Its rare to cross campus without seeing several people you know. The professors are always there to help with regular office hours and they are great at making appointments outside of that time to fit your schedule. Also the campus is always gorgeous, decorated either with plants or snow depending on the season. There is a party scene that's easy to enter into or to steer clear of depending on your preference. Whether you party or not, there is always something to do on campus, lectures or gallery openings, or concerts and performances, whatever you're into.

John

Mercyhurst is not very good. The weather is horrible, the teachers (except for a few) are pretentious and extremely brainwashed liberals, the people are generally fake and steal things, the partys are bad, the faculty is not very helpful, and the facilities are terribly outdated. The good parts about the school are that the school is pretty, some majors have good connections, and there are some pretty fun functions run by the university.

Alicia

The professors are amazing - they always have office hours, and even outside of office hours, they're often times available to help out and go over concepts that you don't understand. The food is pretty good mostly, and the dorms aren't terrible. Warde is much nicer than Baldwin and McAuley, but they're are livable.

Julia

Mercyhurst is an incredible community. Everyone is so nice and welcoming; I've met so many amazing people. There's always something to do on campus, whether it be a hockey game or craft night. And the professors are super accommodating. They really care about their students, and they take the time to get to know you.

Darby

My overall option of Mercyhurst is it is a good school. I would definitely say it is better suited if you are going for intel then anything because that is it’s biggest major. I came to the school because it offered a major you can’t really find at many colleges which is the Fashion Merchandising Program which is also a great major! The campus life is good everyone seems to know everyone because we are a small school. Most people who came to this school came because it didn’t have the Greek Life which to me is a plus because it doesn’t fit what the school is promoting, and I like not having the Greek Life. The food is not the best but its good when you don’t know how to cook haha! Mercyhurst are starting to update housing because I know my friends when they explained their housing it was completely different then Mercyhurst had when I first came. The classroom sizes are good you are able to speak to your professor one on one instead of waiting in a line to meet with them and if you can’t meet them after a class all the professors have scheduled times for office hours. Even if that doesn’t work email them it helps a lot because the professors will check their emails and get back to you by the next day! Events on campus are made more for freshman to have them get to know each other and the older students usually hang out at the apartments which are kind of further from campus so that makes it harder to get them to come to events as well.

Ameinna

When I first stepped on campus a little over a year ago, I knew Mercyhurst University was the school for me. Part of the reason that I became interested in Mercyhurst was that they are the only school in Pennsylvania that is allowed to use real human remains for studies and the forensic science majors actually get to go to real crime scenes. The school is great for non-forensic majors too. I’m an ambassador, which is an elite club on campus and through it I give campus tours, so I know everything there is to know about the school. The campus is absolutely beautiful, we actually rent our flowers so when it starts to snow, because it snows a lot in Erie, the flowers are returned and then brought back in the spring. Additionally, we are a Catholic university that was founded on the idea of service. There are many volunteer opportunities on campus and students are always trying to help others. Campus is relatively small too, I can get to any building in about 5 minutes or less and class sizes are small. We have a 14:1 student to faculty ratio, which is great because it insures that all students’ voices will be heard. We also have two division 1 sports teams, which are men’s and women’s hockey, and hockey games are a really big deal on campus. The football games are a big deal too, they do a lot of tailgating during those, but honestly our team is not very good. I love Mercyhurst and I feel so honored to be a student here, but there are some downsides. One major thing is that they recently announced that students are required to live on campus all four years and they are currently building a new sophomore building that is very expensive. A lot of freshman right now are seriously considering transferring because they can’t afford to live in the new residence hall and it’s really sad because the school is so amazing. Like I said, I love Mercyhurst and I’m so happy that I’m a student here, so if you’re looking for a smaller school with a great community, Mercyhurst is the school for you.

Sierra

Mercyhurst University is one of the best colleges in the U.S.! The professors are competent and care about their students' success. They have a lot of support systems for those who need it and the people in charge of the support care about the welfare of the students. Overall, I wouldn't want to attend any other college

Sierra

Caitlyn

I love my school. From the moment I visited the campus my junior year of high school, I knew this is where I was going to spend four years of my life. I have made so many friends, gotten into activities I have never imagined, and learned so much, not just academically, but about myself as well. I could not have picked a better school to complete my undergraduate degree.

Shadacea

I love my university, I have been attending mercyhurst for years. I attend classes that are flexible to my life as a mother and wife and employee. I’m able to get help tutoring and assistance with things in between. I’ve learned what’s needed to put forth to pass classes . I work to learn my subjects s well as network. I recommend this college setting.

Vincent

Mercyhurst University, overall, is an amazing campus! All the students, staff, and faculty are friendly and create a welcoming environment. The campus is beautifully landscaped and the academics are challenging, but rewarding and are definitely preparing me for my future career. There is also a wide variety of activities to get involved with which makes the campus that much better.

Hailey

I loved my time at Mercyhurst. Form the first day of my freshmen year till the time I walked at graduation I felt at home and felt like I was given every opportunity to flourish as a student and as a person. I was able to double major (Dance and Pre- Nutritional Studies) and even created a major that was specific to my needs. The facility was amazing, invested in their students, and always available to help their students. I wouldn't have changed a moment of my four years here.

Too expensive, but the faculty are absolutely amazing and I really feel like I am receiving a quality education. My only real issue is the price tag, especially for room and board. Some people are not especially fond of Erie, but I think it is a great town to live in, always something to be doing whether it's in town or at presque isle.

Kylie

At first I was weary of going to what seemed like such a small school. In reality this campus offers just as much, if not more than a campus that has a larger class sizes. The professors are all very open and and the science labs are great. There is always something planned by the student government that will fit all types of interests.

Alexis

Mercyhurst University is a place where they really make you feel like "Hurst is home". There is always something going on whether it be weekend activities the student government puts on, athletic events, club meetings, anything. I highly recommend this school to anyone who wants a smaller school with a lot of diversity and acceptance. Everyone here is friendly and there are so many resources to help you with anything you need (volunteer, jobs, learning differences, academics, etc.). hurst is home!!

Overall, I believe that Mercyhurst University is a private Catholic institution jam-packed with opportunities. Students are truly nurtured by knowledgeable professors, small class sizes, and the diverse and inclusive campus. Students are also encouraged by their professors to go beyond the gates of campus to participate in a wide array of volunteer opportunities.

Max

It's a very nice school if you're willing to pay a lot of money for a small, private, catholic education. Their intelligence program stands out and is one of the best in the nation, but in my opinion so far, the other degrees, majors, and minors offered are a bit on the pricey side for a student who does not play a sport on campus.

Grace

I think Mercyhurst University has awesome opportunities. I have had a great experience because I associate with awesome friends, who are also commuters. I love the music department, because it is like a family. We get along very well and always encourage another. I wish there was more campus space to walk around. I think some of the teachers should be replaced, while there are others who should remain in their position because they are so passionate about their job. Overall, it is a great school and will help you jump into your future career.

shadacea

My overall opinion of Mercyhurst is that its a fine university. Many opportunities outstanding faculty and many levels and locations for all to achieve at. I love mercyhurst and I sincerely feel they will only get better.

Khala

Mercyhurst University is place where professors and other staff members really take the time and go out their way to provide the best education by challenging students to prepare us for our future careers. Although, there could be some improvement in diversifying the campus and being more creative with campus activities, overall, it's a great university to attend. Mercyhurst provides students with a fresh start and builds on that with every class you attend guaranteeing you will be ready not just for challenges that may occur in you're career, but in life.

Erika

Overall, Mercyhurst University is a well-rounded, small community-based college. The education system and professors are incredible and provide one-to-one experiences with each student and are always available to help whenever needed. The professors are also extremely approachable and are very dedicated hard-working individuals. The community at Mercyhurst is very welcoming to every individual. During the semester to build upon the community, there are many events to support other students and to allow for social growth. For instance, we have a D1 hockey team to support for free on the weekends. We also have a vast number of clubs to join to meet new people and to allow for new experiences. Lastly, we have MAC/SAC, a student-based group that organizes and puts on events each weekend for free available to all students. Mercyhurst also has an incredible student government that adheres to the student population’s ideas and desires at the school. Beyond the student government there are many ways to get involved as a student. We have an Ambassador program, where students pledge and begin the process to becoming a tour guide for the school. We also have Laker Leaders. This program is upper-level classman who help freshman transition each year and provide them with the correct information and skills to succeed socially and academically here at Mercyhurst. There are many opportunities for students to get involved on campus. The dinning services on campus provide students many options. There are locations to sit and enjoy a family-based meal with friends and there are places you can grab a quick meal and take it to go. These options allow students to acquire food based on time and desire. We also have a section in our main dining hall, Eagan, called the clean plate. This is one of the two in the country and provides gluten free and allergy free food to the students on campus. Although, it does adhere to those in need of the service, it is available to any student. Lastly, on each holiday they put together special dining experiences for the students that allow students to enjoy the special occasions that occur while they are on campus. A special, not to miss feature on campus is Hurst Day. A tradition where classes are cancelled, and the day begins with a scavenger hunt. The day continues on with blow-ups and themed food tents and ends with a special steak dinner. This tradition is a surprise and remains unannounced and provides students with a break from classes, exams, and projects. Mercyhurst University provides an exceptional education while providing activities and creating a community each day. The university provides the correct services and community for each student to succeed while in college and creates a special place for people to call their home while away at school.

Zachary

Average education for a big financial commitment. Every year they tack on new ways to charge the students more money. Even with large scholarships you end up paying more as the years go on. Class sizes are small and it can be very personal with your teachers, they are usually available for after college business advice.

Joseph

I think it's a good school. It has some good teachers and others some good services. I'm just going to get my degree and start my career so I don't partake in partying to much or sports. Good school overall. I go to the sister campus of the main campus. So not as much to do there but i'm 29 and just trying to get my degree. I like the teachers and the classrooms are small which helps with learning.

I absolutely love being at Mercyhurst! It is like a home away from home, and everyone here is super friendly. There are so many opportunities to get involved and there are plenty of clubs to join. The class sizes are small in comparison to bigger schools, and professors go out of their way to make themselves accessible to their students. Furthermore, the campus is not far from Peach Street, which has a wide variety of shopping centers and restaurants that students might want or need, and can be accessed by public transportation. Lastly, Mercyhurst is a safe campus, and there are many options for students to seek help if they need it.

Dakota

It is a beautiful campus! The facilities are very accommodating, and modern. The professors are always wanting to see us succeed, and really push us to do our best. They have a lot of fun activities for us frequently as well!!! They have great on campus resources for us to use in our academics also.

Desiree

Overall, Mercyhurst University is a good school. I feel very comfortable there and the classes are very interesting . The food is very good and easily accessible. I like the information that I learn in my classes and my social life has improved a great deal since I moved onto campus. I am very happy here.

Mercyhurst feels like home. Everyone there seems happy to be there all of the time. Campus always feel very safe and has a very homely feel to it. Being a small college provides for a very tight knit community of people. Everyone is always extremely willing to help in any way that they can. I could not have imagined going to college anywhere else.

RayLynn

Mercyhurst University was a school that was introduced to me by my high school councilor. I am currently accepted to be apart of the graduating class of 2023, while majoring in psychology and playing Field Hockey. When I first visited the campus I immediately fell in love with the environment and the vibe that the University gave off. People greet you with friendly faces and the professors are very down to earth and will work one on one with you if you are in need. I highly recommend this school to everyone!!

Autumn

Mercyhurst University is very small but in my opinion that’s good you are able to connect with more people and the professors are more focused on you. There are many clubs that are offered to get everyone the opportunity to get involved. The sports bring a lot of people together as well.

Mercyhurst University has a beautiful campus with small class sizes that make it easy to get to know professors one-on-one. Teachers are always willing to take time outside of class to help with anything you may need and get to know you by name. Mercyhurst has a small campus that is easy to navigate and pass friends on your way to class. There are a fair amount of campus activities going on each week for students to spend their free time. Though there are no shops or activities immediately located nearby, Lake Erie is just a short drive away and a perfect place to go on warm days!