Decatur, IL
Millikin University

Michaela

This is more than a school, it is a home and a family. People are very accepting and professors and other faculty are always there when students are in need. There has never been a time when I have felt as if no one cared. I have always been encouraged to go to class, and there is no way to succeed without trying. It is the best place to prepare for the future!

Bailey

Millikin felt like home to me as soon as I set foot on the campus. It was quiet and beautiful. That was only the first time. Actually attending as a student, I feel like I have found my home away from home. Everyone is welcoming and I have been able to develop life long friendships with my peers and professors. I get involved a lot because there are so many opportunities that let's students be involved. For a small school in a small town, this school is too amazing for words to describe. I cannot imagine attending another school than this one and it all started when I set foot on the campus when I was a high school senior. Now I will be ending my freshman year as a music major with a pre law focus and I am very excited for the future years here.

Shaneequa

Millikin University seems like a nice school to attend when I took a visit there I enjoy being on the campus. The staff were nice and there's a lot of opportunities for me there to achieve my goals. I really enjoyed myself visiting the university and hoping that I can have enough money to attend there next following semester.

Krystal

Performance learning should be the only type of learning. Millikin is wonderful at getting students in their field, developing personal relationships within the campus and the community, and providing a high standard of education.

Grey

Millikin University is a small, private institution with a sincere and deliberate focus on Performance Learning; each student is provided with the means and opportunities to prepare for their future career within the classroom, and it is up to the individual to seize the connections and build experience with their professors and colleauges.

Do not waste a moment wishing or waiting. These next years of your life will grow you more than you ever could have dreamed. There are so many tools and possibilities laid before you, and you are doing yourself a disservice should you not utilize the connections – to your peers, your professors, your city – that you have been so blessed with. Seek out and surround yourself with good company; like-minded, forward thinking people that believe in you as much as you believe in them, and allow yourself to be inspired. Allow yourself to be challenged—and embrace it. Begin a project you have been yearning your life long to begin as soon as you set foot on campus. Believe in yourself and go above and beyond – do and overdo – every task assigned to you. Embrace the moments of learning and growth; they can and will be vastly more rewarding than you could have dreamed. Most importantly, have the time of your life all the while putting your entire self into your craft, and do not settle for anything you know you can improve upon. You must strive, and you will thrive. Do not waste a moment wishing or waiting.

Perhaps the most frusturating aspect of Millikin is the lack of full-fledged school spirit; there are no incredible rallies and outpourings of the entire student body together as one.

Emma

If you are looking for a school that makes you feel at home, and welcomes people of all kinds of backgrounds with open arms, and open hearts. We as a student body look to achieve to the highest level of education while keeping the students and facualty happy in a cooperative enviroment.

I would tell myself to relax and enjoy the journey a little more. College is not only about getting higher education, but it is about having fun while making relationships that will last a lifetime. People are truly amazing if you just give them a fighting chance.

Millikin University can basically be a home for anyone and everyone who has ever needed one. Everyone is welcome, and accepted for the person that they are.

Alanis

Take a breath, listen to your own voice and speak to yourself in a fond manner about it. Don't be pressured by your family to attend a school you never wanted to attend. Be patient with them, they only are looking out for your best intrest. Don't feel discouraged about all of the financials because you will get through it. The friends you make, you grow with them each coming day, but you never left behind the ones at home. When you feel how hard it is to get through a day, keep smiling; but don't hold it in. Life isn’t about living along but living through, so perserve. You'll like whom you've become in the end.

The best thing about Millikan University is the helpful staff and faculty. They are patient and understanding with my family's anxious state. The school is a small private school with about 2400 students; which is more one on one with the teachers and students. The campus is clean, the students are outgoing. The school is very cultured and diverse.

A person that is used to a quiet, small town. A student that is willing to give their time and properly work through all the class assignments and tasks given without slacking off.

Jonathan

Jonathan, it is time to focus on what you want to do. Things have come easy to you but the real world is much harder. It is time to start exerting more effort in everything that you do and you will find that you when you do exert the effort, there is much more joy when you complete the task. You have chosen a career that is most rewarding when you fully immerse yourself. Don't assume you have nothing to learn whether it is a meeting, a conference, or a presentation. Find one thing that you can take away from every experience. You will also be much more content when you finally develop your organizational skills. Being organized at the outset will save you so much over the long run. Take the time now to create a system. It is also acceptable in every situation to complete a task before the deadline. You might even find that you have time to proofread prior to submitting if you have it completed before the deadline. You have the ability to quite successful at your chosen profession, it will take a lot of effort but it pays off in the end. Enjoy!

While Millikin is a very open and accepting campus of all people, cultures, and ethnicities, the town of Decatur itself, may be a drawback to some. Those people who are in anyway affected by the air that often times smells from the Soybean processing manufacturers, may not want to attend school here. Also, those that desire a large metropolitan town may not find what they are looking for here either.

Jamiahus

I would advise myself to leave behind the high school isucrities that I had. There were many things that I was scared to do for different reaseans and they spoted me from getting involved on campus as much as I would have liked to. I feel as though I would have had a much more fulfilling college experience if I had took a break from studying more often and had some fun on the weekends. I would also tell myself to start thinking about what is imporant to me. When I came to college and I started to be around people in a higher learning atmosphere, I started to see the different things that people valued. It was easy for me to fall into the trap of over-vauling things. For example, my educations is very important but education should never be put before family. Money is important but it should not be the only factor in the career path I choose to follow. I feel as though going back in time would help me to assure myself that by the end of my college career, I will difinatly think, speak, and act differently.

The worst thing would be the amount of diversity that is promoted and the lack of actual diversity on campus

Our professores commucate fast and directly to students!

Alison

I would tell myself to now worry so much about college. It all works out and everything turns out okay.

I love the size of the school. I come from a small town, so Millikin is not too big or too small.

I wish I would of known more about the school.

Millikin University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.