Mount Holyoke College

« See more reviews of Mount Holyoke College

There must be hundreds of students from other countries. People are not competitive. While most are lovely people, I had to get to college before experiencing the junior high/ high school girl petty talking-behind-people's-backs and more obvious ways of throwing barbs. People smoke right outside the buildings and on the paths, so you can't get anywhere without inhaling carcinogens. I have taken an awful lot of flak for not drinking, but have found a few people on my side. I honestly think that having the ALANA students start orientation a few days earlier separates them from the rest of the student body, so people are extra aware of and uncomfortable with the topics of race, ethinicity, etc. Many non-white students are quite active with their cultural groups and clubs, but often white students feel left out, uncomfortable again, or even guilty simple because we're white. I have talked about this with many of my friends (white, like me. The Ghanaians hang out together, the Koreans together, and the whites by default) and the consensus is that we used to not even be aware of these differences in 2nd or 3rd grade, but now we're ultra-conscious about race and feel guilty because we're self-conscious. Geez. Vicious circle.

Very diverse, except there aren't any boys (and I think their perspective needs to be taken into account sometimes, too!). I think every girl feels out of place and completely in place at the same time. It's not normal for someone to want to go to a women's college in this day and age, and it takes some adjusting, but everyone is super friendly. People wear whatever they want (although the Uggs and leggings with no skirts kind of sketches me out). There aren't four tables of students, there are many students who are always giggling and reacting beyond tables--everyone knows everything else. There aren't cliques or sororities--it's like being in one BIG sorority. Mt Holyoke students are from EVERYWHERE in the world, with many different financial backgrounds. Yes, very aware and active, but can also be pretty sheltered. Predominantly left, but there are some hardcore righties on campus who like to heat things up. Yes, we talk about how we'll either be really rich or end up in a cardboard box.

Mt Holyoke students are from everywhere. We have a huge international population, but the states are also very well represented. I think considering the diversity, we get along pretty damn well. It is pretty hard not to interact with different kinds of people, although international students do tend to clump together. But really, can you blame them? Students are predominantly left, and you might feel a bit uncomfortable if you are conservative, though we do have a small population. I mean, if you think homosexuality is a sin, you probably don't belong at mt holyoke. (and personally, I woulnd't want you here.) I know my parents were worried that the lesbian population would be really "in your face" and cliquey, but it is so not true. One thing I have learned is that you can't tell a book by its cover, and when I meet someone I'm totally okay now with not knowing what orientation or even what gender they are. Why confine ourselves?

Racial issues come up from time to time, as they do everywhere. People are ignorant and assume all the black people are on financial aid and on all the white people are rich, neither of which is true for everyone. I think that is a problem everywhere though. Most people do not get dressed up for class, totally unecessary. Different types of students do interact but there are also some cliques, like at any small school. Mount Holyoke students come from allll over! There are a lot of rich girls, but there are also girls on financial aid who can go to MOunt Holyoke thanks in a large part to the rich girls. Students are politically aware and active, predominantly left. In the dining hall there would be some athletes from varsity teams, they all hang out together, then the equestrian team people, rugby people, and a lot of people from the Caribbean tend to hang out together.

The campus is very diverse and very accepting of everyone. Most students here are very fashionable, especially since most of the girls that go here are upper class. Don't expect to wear sweats or pjs out of the dorm! The four tables in the dining hall have the Dungeons and Dragons nerds, the preppy rich girls who wear their Uggs with every single outfit, the butch gays and the wanna be men, and the fourth table has the riders (sometimes the riders and the preppy girls intermingle). The most prevalent background is upper class- there are lots of BMWs, Uggs, North Face products and anything else expensive that you can think of. Sometimes it can get a little frustrating (I'm from a middle income family and don't have much spending money).

From what I view I feel that Mount Holyoke students wear 4 types of clothing to class on an everyday basis. The most common is the jean, t-shirt and sneakers combo, I feel that the majority of students wear this to class everyday. The second most common is athletic wear, either they play sports or just feeling like wearing sweatpants for the day I say that this is the second most popular. The third would be more dressy, shoes, skirt or dress, blouse, cardigan,make-up, styled hair (that's not loose or in a ponytail) I personally know some MOHOS who dress like this everyday. The final would be pajamas but I only see this with students who have early morning classes.

there is definitely a lot of diversity on our campus. i should start with they LGBT crowd...they're pretty open, and it can take some getting used to....but honestly, it made me more open to the world. i came to mount holyoke a conservative homophobe, and i am still conservative in some ways, buuuut now i accept everyone and realize that there is a brought sexual spectrum in which to classify people. there are definitely rich people on campus, but there are also a whole bunch of people who's parents are not so wealthy, and also a bunch of people who are there on financial aid or work study. students at our school are mostly liberal leftists.

People do not like to talk about how much they'll earn one day - they like to talk about what their passions are and which part of the world they want to save or which issue they want to solve. It is overly idealistic and romantic, but it fosters a sense of community service and world citizenship. if anything it is preparing us for an increasingly globalized world, but sadly sometimes we lose perspective of the NOW, we are in AMERICA, and we need to solve IMMEDIATE issues in our own home. people tend to downplay the U.S. as we have a strong international flare.

The MHC student body is amazingly diverse. The amount of openness towards differing backgrounds and lifestyles is, in my opinion, matched by few, if any, campuses that I have ever seen. Moreover, students don't single out their counterparts and stick to small groups; everyone mingles and has friends from all over, and of all different types. Nevertheless, MHC does tend to be in the middle- to upper-class income bracket as a result of its exclusiveness, and so poorer students may at times feel underrepresented.

They tend to be either really outgoing or really reserved. People are really friendly and easy to talk to. Everyone cares about their grades but they're not too competetive about it. There is an extreme amount of diversity in race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender presentation, and even what country they live in. You can pretty much be who you are and find somewhere to fit in. They are all women, which can seem wierd but once you get here it's a really cool community to be a part of.