Mount Holyoke College

« See more reviews of Mount Holyoke College

Nope, yes we do have lesbians, so do Wellesley, smith, Barnard, and the other all girls school. Hell, even co-ed schools have lesbians. The difference is our lesbians are awesome. Personally, I'm straight and have alot of friends who are straight also and alot who aren't. The bottom line is all these girls are really smart, come from different countries with totally different backgrounds. Also we are not some conservative school; you can't get as liberal as moho is. The whole boys issue is also disconcerning. I'm a junior and I bet my boyfriend in college, and no he doesn't go to amherst. Boys do come to campus, our largest party Vegas night brings tons of boys to campus. Usually girls here don't tend to worry about men, if we want them we know how to get them. Its the opportunities this school provides that gets brings us here.

No, of course not. With Mt Holyoke, we aren't ALL anything. In terms of personality, style, "type," etc. Mt holyoke is really diverse. No matter what kind of person you are, I guarentee there will be other people like you at mt holyoke. Sorority-types to D&D geeks and anything in between... not that I necessarily believe in categorization... Another VERY wrong stereotype is that we are girls who needed to be away from boys in order to feel comfortable speaking in class, etc. It could not be more the opposite.

Many MHC students are willing to explore their sexuality. However, I would say that this is due to MHC's openness and the safety of the environment, and that very few students of "easy" or just looking for a one night stand. As for the second, we do care about our work, as we must, because the school is very challenging. However, I don't know any students who don't occasionally let down their hair and forget about work for an evening of fun with the girls.

Yes and no, it is really a mix of people, but people assume that we are just a bunch of smart yet sexually-confused girls. There are more straight women here. Smith is really the school that is "gay". We have a large population of straight girls who are just like co-ed university girls. The real key is to be open-minded and learn to accept and understand others, even if they are different from you. It's a great learning experience.

Nope! There are many openly lesbian and bisexual women. It is highly advisable that all applicants and students are acceptable of this. I would say that almost everyone is. There are a select few exceptions, but do not fret! There are always are those select few are a little bit different. MHC takes pride in each other's differences and I love that!

Are any stereotypes accurate? Of course not! There are always going to be different sides of the story--there is no "one" Mount Holyoke student that represents all of us. We're all different, we all approach things differently, and we should judge individuals one at a time instead of making stereotypes.

Nooo...I go off campus all the time to see boys, and I met my current boyfriend while at school. I'm always going to amazing parties on campus and off with my friends and at other schools, and though there is an open gay population on campus, there are plenty of straight people for us to party with.

No. Not everyone is a lesbian, but it is a very open community. I am not a huge feminist, but I do not like the negative connotations associated with the term either. Most women at Mount Holyoke believe in equal rights, just because they are willing to fight for them does not make them crazy.

For the most part they are...its a womans college so there is a pretty prevelant lesbian culture on campus...its alot more in your face than i would have thought it would be..not much for parties on campus either but amherst and umass are fun

We do have a large lesbian population but I don't think there is a lot of pressure from our gay community. We do have some girls who act desperate for guys. We are a very intellectual community.